• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Next to no story. What's there is basically "Go kill that monster!" followed by "Yay you killed the monster!" again and again until the credits roll. It's a loot-driven game (crafting-based rather than picking up random gear) with excellent combat, but if big cinematic setpieces and storylines are what you're after, steer clear.

That's a bummer.

Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to like it but the game seems way too complicated with too many systems. Being presented with multiple pages of tutorial text every 30 seconds got overwhelming quick and trying to join a game with friends was needlessly obtuse. I did enjoy the combat for what it's worth but everything else about the game was really annoying. Guess it's just not for me.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

Don't get me wrong it's still one of the best games of the past few years. The variety and skill ceiling are enough to get at least a couple hundred hours out of if you're into that. But if you play your RPGs more for the story just be aware it's very much what the kids are calling a gameplay-first game these days.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Welcome to the party, pal!

I really enjoyed my time with MHW and I'll probably get back into it in time for the expansion.

I should boot it up again before then but there's going to be a big learning curve.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its an absolutely excellent game OP. Glad your enjoying it

As for the comments about the story, the story is there to contextualize what your doing in the game and it for the most part fits. It isnt a plot and character development and such per se, but its infinitely more in depth and bigger as a concept than any other Monster Hunter game in terms of contexualizing the world, which says a lot.

Its an absolutely excellent game OP. Glad your enjoying it

As for the comments about the story, the story is there to contextualize what your doing in the game. It isnt a plot per se, but its infinitely more in depth and bigger as a concept than any other Monster Hunter game, which says a lot.
Let's not put lipstick on a pig here, especially when stories in games like MH4 and Stories offer far more complexity and intrigue than anything World provides.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

075.jpg

Although lately I've been running a lot of Kulve Taroth so I have been doing more hammer and bow runs. Forgive me.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Unfortunately I bought this at launch but never really got into it maybe put just under 20 hours but it hasn't clicked for me plus it seemed a little bit grindy for me. I will give it another chance when the expansion drops hopefully it isn't just for people who are at the end game.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I bought this on a whim last year and have something like 400 hours in it now. I have a couple friends that still keep it installed and we keep on top of the updates, try new builds and weapons, etc.

The PC support started off poorly, but has come a long way since with Ultrawide support, HDR, recently a high res texture pack, and a rapid update pace. I just hope the clock doesn't reset completely on Iceborne..

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be said that on PC this game looks utterly gorgeous at high frame rates. Performance seems very stable too.

The game as so much charm, though. Little cutscenes scattered throughout, like when you order a meal from the cat chefs and they do this little performance of cooking your meal and you're left with this super tantalizing dish that your character greedily tucks into.

The world building and story telling via environment is really strong, and as someone who a well told story is a huge selling point for there is enough here to counteract the rather bland main story.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
II was never able to get into the past ones I played, but Monster Hunter World was different.

I fully await the next World-style game after over 100 hours in this.

Wolfen

User requested ban
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
Yes, yes it is.

It's a great game in itself, but you also don't have to deal with poor resolutions, cramped and awful control etc. It's quite clear now being exclusive to handhelds held back the success of the franchise. Playing with a controller, with crisp graphics and on the platform of your choice were the best features about MHW.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I know you didn't make this thread and not say what weapon you're maining.

I started out with Dual Blades myself and then fell in love with Hammer, which is an amazing weapon but not one I'd start the game with.
The big katana, I don't know how it's called but it's very fast.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it (especially when I used a trainer to increase damage 3X), but you reach a point where you realize you're killing the same monsters over and over again to forge better equipment to kill the same monsters over and over again to forge better equipment to... You get the idea.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been intrigued by this game, but never pulled the trigger..
What's the combat like? And for comparison sake, what are some games that have similar combat?

There isn't really anything similar. It's deliberate and emphasizes learning your animations and moveset like Souls games but feels totally different. MHW is a much more approachable game but still plays like Monster Hunter which means it will turn people off if they go in expecting DMC or God of War.

The meat of the gameplay is fighting large boss monsters which takes on a Punch Out-like aspect. Or for a real life comparison, it's kind of like dealing with an animal you're familiar with. You eventually know how it's going to react before it does it by subtle movements. Like how my roommate's asshole cat still tries to bite me sometimes but I know his body language so I can avoid it.

There's also a huge amount of depth to the monsters and it feels like there's always more to learn. Not just their elemental and status weaknesses, but little quirks like what bait they fall for or whether they're vulnerable to sonic or flash bombs. A recurring staple of the series is that you can fish out some aquatic monsters with frogs. You don't NEED to know these things but it really makes you feel like an actual 'hunter' once you do.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's a total blast. I fell off pretty much immediately at the "legendary monster" grind, but it's so much fun to work your way there.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Fundamentally speaking, there's not really that terribly much different in terms of what you're doing and how you're doing it, so if you weren't a fan of the gameplay loop before, this game isn't going to do too much for you in the long run. That being said, it does do a lot to modernize a lot of behind-the-scenes quibbles along with offering large, seamless maps for the first time, so if you were bothered by that stuff in the games that you played, this may be more your speed.

Thanks. The seamless world seems like a good change that I'll like. Most of me dropping the games off is because I feel like progress is a bit slow. I think it also boils down to me not knowing the mechanics that well I guess.
I'll eventually get the game for my PC when the price feels right.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Tried to get into it but just couldn't, maybe I'll give it another try at some point, as I did enjoy some of the 10 or so hours I gave it, but I dunno, my friend was similarly not feeling it. Hated how story mission co-op worked too, it really started to annoy me.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, only negative is their lackluster support when it comes to PC content lagging behind consoles all the time for some reason.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the opposite. I bought the game based on hype and sales and sort of liking previous games but it was just too much for me. It reached a point where I felt like I was progressing at a glacial pace. Too much text, far too many mechanics. It's definitely great for certain types of players but I found the accessibility of it all to be among the worst in the series. I just felt like I was blowing through the story yet actually getting stronger for some of the Side hunts and stuff I was getting nowhere. Spent too much time learning mechanics and just tracking and running over familiar terrain.

I know I'm in the minority and it's a preference thing but I was kind of disappointed, I wished I liked it as much as everyone else. Glad you're enjoying though, OP.

I've never had trouble with complex/deep mechanics or challenging games and all that jazz but the effort to enjoyment ratio in this game was off for me.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting the game with the charge blade and it's awesome. Landing that super attack is bliss

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
It's an amazing game! I dug into three weeks ago and I just crested HR 66. Does anyone know a fast way to get to HR100? I'm hoping to nab some research tickets so I'm able to get the Lunestra/Xeno HBG I've been eyeing.

Thanks. The seamless world seems like a good change that I'll like. Most of me dropping the games off is because I feel like progress is a bit slow. I think it also boils down to me not knowing the mechanics that well I guess.
I'll eventually get the game for my PC when the price feels right.
MHW doles out the story at a faster pace than previous games (well, up to a certain point during high rank), which in turns means you're getting materials and equipment at a faster rate as well. There are also special quests that you can come across while collecting monster tracks that offer up limitations (shorter time limits, smaller player counts for multiplayer) with the promise of making it easier to get rarer materials and in larger quantities to make progress even faster. As long as you're OK with having to fight a lot of the monsters regardless, this game is pretty good about catching you up with a minimum of fuss.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Played through game pass on the X and the performance is offensively bad. Not even overly sensitive normally but this game was just bad. Dropping frames all the time and putting the game in performance mode loses so much detail from the world. I'll try again on PC in future.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
If you would like someone to kick monsters with I'm free most days. HR 200(not like that matters) but I can solo everything from normal G. Jagras to arch tempered Kirin(or whoever you feel is the worst of the bunch).

GT: Panama chief

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am so glad that this game brought so many new people into MH, yep it is amazing, always has been!

if you ever need help on ps4, add me: jorgejjvr

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see what comes next now that we have such a massively amazing foundation built with MHW

The possibilities!!

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Couldnt tell you how many hours Ive put into this franchise since the first PSP entry. I put hundreds of hours into it when it launched on PS4 and just grabbed it recently on PC. I'm already 70+ hours in again. The gameplay loop and the reward of learning a monster so that a once insurmountable challenge becomes an easy clear is so damned good. Any other series out there aside from Soulsborne stuff that has the level of weighted risk/reward combat that MH world does?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminded me that Iceborne is coming. Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The big katana, I don't know how it's called but it's very fast.

That's Longsword
I plan to main that one Iceborne comes out. I LOVE Hammer but I do miss cutting tails off which the Longsword is perfect for.
I have the gorgeous Bazelgeuse Longsword already done too. Can't wait to use it more.

RedFury

Oct 27, 2017
yep lol. On another note I know a lot of Nintendo only gamers who refuse to play MHW and give it the respect it deserves. I don't know why some people lock themselves to one box.
I thought MH world was my dream MH game but I bounced off hard. The cracks started to show for me. I went back to MHGU. The monster and armor/weapon variety is terrible in world. While I thought I loved the open world after the gimmick wore off I hated chasing a monster. Even with seeds stoping them is not guaranteed. Seriously to anyone who loves the actual mechanics and fighting 1v1(or as a group) against a beast I suggest giving MHGU a shot. You can really get the feeling for G and not just damage sponge monsters.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
There isn't really anything similar. It's deliberate and emphasizes learning your animations and moveset like Souls games but feels totally different. MHW is a much more approachable game but still plays like Monster Hunter which means it will turn people off if they go in expecting DMC or God of War.

The meat of the gameplay is fighting large boss monsters which takes on a Punch Out-like aspect. Or for a real life comparison, it's kind of like dealing with an animal you're familiar with. You eventually know how it's going to react before it does it by subtle movements. Like how my roommate's asshole cat still tries to bite me sometimes but I know his body language so I can avoid it.

There's also a huge amount of depth to the monsters and it feels like there's always more to learn. Not just their elemental and status weaknesses, but little quirks like what bait they fall for or whether they're vulnerable to sonic or flash bombs. A recurring staple of the series is that you can fish out some aquatic monsters with frogs. You don't NEED to know these things but it really makes you feel like an actual 'hunter' once you do.

That sounds right up my alley.
Next time it's on sale on PSN I'm going to take the plunge.
Thanks! 👍🏻

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The ranged weapons seem quite shallow in comparison to other weapons in the tutorial space.

Is this offset later on with things like special ammo and mods?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's a bloody good game and a good step up but it's very much one step forward two steps back for a couple of things.

While it's a fantastic modern day Monster Hunter, it leaves armor and element importance behind, everyone's basically wearing the same in the end game and is so beefed up elder dragons are a walk over.

The content might be enough for new comers but as someone who came from the 3Ds games, I ran out of things to do pretty quickly, even if there's a lot of quests it's still the few monsters over and over again.

Issues aside, it's still amazing and I clocked around 700 hours in to it.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I need to keep trying this game. A few hours in and it hasn't clicked for me yet.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
The ranged weapons seem quite shallow in comparison to other weapons in the tutorial space.

Is this offset later on with things like special ammo and mods?

In my opinion, yes. The training area dummy doesn't account for the shear size of the monsters, and how the special ammo can effect them. An example would be Piercing rounds for the guns, which will continue to trigger damage as they pass through monsters, so lining up shots along the length of the entire beast is advantageous, in that case.

The ranged weapons are also geared toward specific ammo, some are better for flame rounds, or piercing rounds, etc, and not just in a damage boost sense. Some weapons fire multiple rounds at a time for certain types, depending on the weapon, for example. There is a large variety of builds for ranged weapons, in that sense.

I played the PS4 version at launch and played the shit out of it, went on a hiatus, and just bought the PC version yesterday. I'm a bit rusty on all the mechanics of the ranged weapons, but I can say they are not shallow.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, one of the best games I've played this gen, combat is so good, some of the best I've ever played, I still play it often since release due to the combat being so good. It's a brilliant game and deserving of the high praise it's gotten, critically and commercially.

eUbwMhq.gif

Rnxx5pm.gif

VtlFpfk.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, yes. The training area dummy doesn't account for the shear size of the monsters, and how the special ammo can effect them. An example would be Piercing rounds for the guns, which will continue to trigger damage as they pass through monsters, so lining up shots along the length of the entire beast is advantageous, in that case.

The ranged weapons are also geared toward specific ammo, some are better for flame rounds, or piercing rounds, etc, and not just in a damage boost sense. Some weapons fire multiple rounds at a time for certain types, depending on the weapon, for example. There is a large variety of builds for ranged weapons, in that sense.

I played the PS4 version at launch and played the shit out of it, went on a hiatus, and just bought the PC version yesterday. I'm a bit rusty on all the mechanics of the ranged weapons, but I can say they are not shallow.
Really good to hear, looking forward to experimenting with builds in this game.