• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That is an amazing opportunity! Congratulations!

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Grats! Is there a baking thread on Era? After years of wanting one I found a KitchenAid stand mixer at Costco this weekend 8000 yen off. Stand mixers are a rarity here so when I saw a Kitchenaid for only 30,000 yen I pounced.

Also tell me your secret for making shortcakes that don't go flat.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Grats Bento! I still remember your thread here about losing money in a different city. Glad that your life has turned around.

Did you put bomb into your chef? /s

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
i bought some imported cherry blossom paste from Japan and am making it into a mousse by setting it with gelatin and soft whipped cream. I freeze it so it holds shape then cover it in a shiny glaze. 👩🏻‍🍳

Sounds awesome and I'm not even that crazy about cherries 😮

An italian friend of mine always called the bavarian creme "Nazi Panna Cotta" 😂

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I get if you don't want to give the name, but what city are you in? That's really an amazing achievement, I hope you are proud of yourself because you deserve to be.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah so uh what the fuck i just finalized my menu and im sitting here shook

i was on gaf 5 years ago posting about needing help to flee abusive nonsense in florida to go to pastry school in a state ive never been to while young and dumb as shit. now this week i'm taking over the michelin restaurant im currently sous chef of and am doing a coursed prefix dessert menu. all the tickets to my popup sold out a few weeks ago, which i still cant wrap my head around.

my chef blew up in NYT last month so ive been hiding under rocks about my career to avoid any semblance of spotlight but now this tuesday is the day im putting myself out there as the pastry chef of this restaurant in this city and im TERRIFIED

pray4me

IM SO NERVOUS

Sounds like you're there for a reason. Your bosses must've picked you because you know your stuff. Instead of being afraid of this step, start thinking about how you could take even bigger steps in the future...you got this.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
It's been really nice seeing your journey over the years, from first enrolling in pastry school to reaching this point. I'm always looking for your new posts and stories on insta!

Speaking as a completely jaded pastry chef myself, it's genuinely exciting to watch someone so young follow their passion and absolutely hit it outta the park. I'm stuck at a total flop restaurant serving such mundane junk that I'm embarrassed to have my name on the menu, so you posting all this stuff along the way gives me a chance to live vicariously through you and actually feel positive about this industry again.. even if it's just for moments at a time.

Looking forward to your inevitable James Beard award 🤩

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, if you want to win a James Beard make sure to offer an amuse bouche of "POS Off the Floor Oreos" as a stunningly original interactive dessert course.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
Congratulations. Being good at what you do got you here and I have no doubt that you will continue to succeed.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Did you call someone an Idiot Sandwich yet?

Congrats! Weren't you the one who went to LA for vacation and ended up in some mess and a couple of ERA members came through and made your vacation awesome?

Happy to see you've found your success.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing, congrats OP.

I really need to get off of my ass & go back to school.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! I still remember the LA thread and the roller coaster you went through. Don't forget us Angelinos when you start opening up your own places, we love food down here!

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, that's so awesome!

I took my wife out to Elizabeth for her 40th birthday in December (had the 80s Nintendo menu) and it was amazing, best meal ever. An experience I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Congrats OP! I am somewhat of a Chicago-foodie so if you can PM me the name of your restaurant i'll make sure to put it on my list of places.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You should give a free course to anyone that shows you his Era account

Jovo

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the success bento! I remember reading your posts on neogaf, you've got this!

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DJrmQ8yV4AA9JjX.jpg

OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago

it was such an insane week that flew by god damn

the pop up went very well despite me feeling like i was going to have an aneurism the whole day.

lots of positive responses and feedback. i cried when it was over. i felt so much all at once after we cleaned up everything.

now to do a drag queen dinner on tuesday then onward to our harry potter themed menu ~*~*~*

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
it was such an insane week that flew by god damn

the pop up went very well despite me feeling like i was going to have an aneurism the whole day.

lots of positive responses and feedback. i cried when it was over. i felt so much all at once after we cleaned up everything.

now to do a drag queen dinner on tuesday then onward to our harry potter themed menu ~*~*~*
Good job Bento, sounds like you're handling this well!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Bento! It's been so great to follow your journey to massive success! You got this.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's amazing! It's nice to have an uplifting thread for a change. If you're doing it is because you have what it takes to do it. Go kick some ass and good luck ;)