• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I vaguely remembered your posts from years back, congrats on the turnaround and just remember, we're all behind you on this!

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats. I have been to a few michelin starred restaurants all over the world and have always come out feeling the experience was worth it. I am sure you will keep the standard up and if Im ever in Chicago again, I will make sure to stop by.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I remember your old thread. Holy shit. What an excellent turnaround. Making me believe in things, dammit. You got this!!!

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations, that's awesome! I fully expect a Hell's Kitchen show from you in 3 years tops.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Congratulations, you worked for it, you got where you set your mind and accomplished your goals. The trick is to take a second to enjoy it while not getting complacent, but considering you got that far it should be very doable for you.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing your posts on the other site, it's so awesome hearing you succeed to that kind of levels.
Congrats man, I can't even imagine how hard you have worked to arrive here.
Gonna be nerve wracking for sure, but also (I imagine) immensely satisfying.

All my best :)

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I've kinda sat on the sidelines and watched but I remember you talking about beelining for Alaska to bake pastries back in the GAF days and kept an eye out ever since.

I know it doesn't mean a ton from someone on the internet you don't even know, but I'm super proud of your accomplishments, Bento. Congratulations.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
yeah so uh what the fuck i just finalized my menu and im sitting here shook

i was on gaf 5 years ago posting about needing help to flee abusive nonsense in florida to go to pastry school in a state ive never been to while young and dumb as shit. now this week i'm taking over the michelin restaurant im currently sous chef of and am doing a coursed prefix dessert menu. all the tickets to my popup sold out a few weeks ago, which i still cant wrap my head around.

my chef blew up in NYT last month so ive been hiding under rocks about my career to avoid any semblance of spotlight but now this tuesday is the day im putting myself out there as the pastry chef of this restaurant in this city and im TERRIFIED

pray4me

IM SO NERVOUS

Congrats! You're gonna do great.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
quite the success story, congrats OP! you've made it this far because of your talent, dont second guess yourself and trust in your decisions.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
OP, just remember that Ferran Adria became head chef of previously two star ElBulli before his 24th birthday (with it losing a star due to the previous chef's departure) and his brother, Albert, started there at 15 and was the head pastry chef in his late teens/early 20's.

Great culinary work requires inspiration and dedication more than anything else. Years in other people's kitchens can be as much hindrance as help.

You got the spot for a reason, you've earned it, just keep doing you.

Oct 27, 2017
While it's nice to hear a success story like this I can't help but feel pity for the OP since I know how fucked up the working conditions in this profession are, especially in fancy restaurants like this.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations! Your creations on IG look amazing. It reminds me of being back in Japan where the desserts were a similar size, extremely intricate, and obviously made with artistry.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome, OP. A genuinely inspirational story. Good luck!

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I remember reading your posts back on the old site, it sounds like you've really kicked some ass out there. Congratulations, I'm sure you'll just keep killing it!