• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Space Lion

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Difference of opinion I guess. Mario 64's level's don't feel barren to me because I feel you aren't meant to wander them - most Stars in a level actually has a fairly linear path of obstacles to go through, and you can use Mario's various acrobatics (wall kicks, triple jump) to optimize and take shortcuts along that path. I don't think the sparseness of enemies or easy health regen (?) really matters as the essence of a platformer is in getting from place to place.

Then there's the fact its successors are better platformers. Sunshine warp levels are better than anything in 64 in my opinion. 64 is one of the most overrated games I've ever played and I LOVE me some Mario. I just don't love it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on the back half of the game. The quality really ramps up starting with world 4 IMO.

Banjo-Tooie is even better IMO. Though it's far more of an adventure game than a platformer.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
murder is a strong word

both games sit comfortably in my top 5 all time

both masterpieces

mario 64's controls are timeless and the fact that they nailed it so perfectly on their first try only becomes more and more amazing as time goes on. there's a reason the sm64 scene is not only still thriving 25 years later, but it is indeed the MOST popular speed game right now.

meanwhile, you have banjo which has mario beat in some places. that alone is hard to believe.

Last edited:

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64 is an all time great and Banjo-Kazooie wouldn't exist without it. That said, Banjo-Kazooie is my personal favorite of the two and until Galaxy arrived I didn't think any other 3D platformer stood above it.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you enjoy it but that's a hard disagree. Controls are not nearly as tight or satisfying, and the levels are too big and barren, and this is my problem with most if not all collectathons; in a platformer, you shouldn't spend so much time just walking, or talking. These games should be called action adventure instead, not platformers.

Jun 8, 2018
In every single way, Banjo Kazooie murders Mario 64.

Music (Bless Grant Kirkhope)

Aesthetic

Enemy Variations

Story

Humor/dialogue

Gameplay.

Mario 64 is legendary, but BK is just an overall improvement

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
It still surprises me why MS hasn't done anything with this IP for a while? If anything, Banjo coming to Smash showed there is a lot of hunger for the game.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Deep Remake needed...

Then the studio which will make an excellent remake will do Banjo Three with the supervision of Gregg Mayles.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
who wants to make the "Diddy Kong Racing MURDERS Mario Kart 64" thread

you know, the REAL shit

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It still surprises me why MS hasn't done anything with this IP for a while? If anything, Banjo coming to Smash showed there is a lot of hunger for the game.
It shouldn't be that big of a surprise. The studio tried something different with the IP and the reception was mixed and they've moved on. However given Crash's remasters success, along with Banjo's reception in Smash, the odds of MS doing something more with Banjo in the future is much higher now.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I wish Microsoft would give us a remake collection or new entry but they pretty much won't even acknowledge the franchise anymore. They clearly have zero interest in doing anything more with Banjo-Kazooie.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel actually.

I probably haven't played Banjo since like 1999 or something, but while I agree it's objectively a bigger and more complex iteration of Mario 64's formula, at the time I actually found it pretty frustrating after the first few worlds. I got near the end but never finished it. Even Odyssey's similarities to Banjo kinda make it off-putting for me compared to the Galaxy games.

That's probably just my taste though. Rare platformers never completely jelled with me, not even Donkey Kong Country.

Mario 64 freaking codified the 3D platformer. I'm not even sure you can compare them to 2D platformers since the design sensibilities and pacing tend to be completely different between the two.

I have played both multiple times when they were released. At the time I thought BK was the better game because it was so much bigger/complex than Mario 64. A few years ago, I replayed them both and found that Mario 64 aged infinitely better. The controls/camera work better in Mario 64 and seemed a lot less frustrating.

I also played Banjo-Tooie which I thought was a mere average game compared to the other two.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
- Mario Odyssey success (the best selling 3D platformer ever)
- Crash remaster success
- Spyro remaster success
- Banjo in Smash success

imagine not making Threeie

imagine having all those Rare IP at your disposal and doing fucking NOTHING with them, especially when you have by far the weakest first party output out of the big three

fuckin hell

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Microsoft would give us a remake collection or new entry but they pretty much won't even acknowledge the franchise anymore. They clearly have zero interest in doing anything more with Banjo-Kazooie.
- Crash remaster success
- Spyro remaster success
- Banjo in Smash success

imagine having all those Rare IP at your disposal and doing fucking NOTHING with them, especially when you have by far the weakest first party output out of the big three

fuckin hell
Isn't it possible that ya'll are speaking too soon on the subject? At least wait till after July.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Glad you enjoy it but that's a hard disagree. Controls are not nearly as tight or satisfying, and the levels are too big and barren, and this is my problem with most if not all collectathons; in a platformer, you shouldn't spend so much time just walking, or talking. These games should be called action adventure instead, not platformers.

But Mario 64 doesn't have a lot of platforming either, compared to some other platformers.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yea its fucking great....until.... the boardgame trivia hellscape. What a terrible design decision, what the fuck. I literally cannot finish it.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BK was the first game I've ever beaten. Love it. Never got into Mario 64 but i respect the impact it had.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the best way to play Kazooie and Tooie today? Preferably on PC.

They've never been released on PC, but either Rare Replay on Xbox One or the Xbox 360 Arcade versions are the definitive versions of both games. Rare Replay also comes with a huge amount of other Rare titles gussied up in HD.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie is a masterpiece but Mario 64 just has more freedom, and that goes against every 3D Mario follow up as well.

Time- and location-limited power ups were prevalent in BK and even more in DK64, and the trend of overcollecting began in BK. BK had balance and every Rare game exceeded it in a bad way.

IMO they're too different to compare.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
OP how far are you in BK?

The game is paced really well and it has one of the best last levels I have ever played in a game (at least that is how I remember it, I have not played it since it came out).

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest difference between the two games that I noticed in that era was the level design. Mario 64 levels felt bland and boring in comparison to what was in BK. The spaces in BK (for its time) felt like actual places with npcs, noteable landmarks, and unique objectives.

Oct 27, 2017
You're not wrong OP. I had both SM64 and Banjo Kazooie as a kid and always preferred Banjo Kazooie. Also don't let the others dissuade you, Banjo Tooie is also great, just not as good as the first one. The levels do get a little too large for their own good, and perhaps a little gimmicky, but I still love them.

Deleted member 70647

Banned
May 31, 2020
Dude, Banjo Kazooie is fantastic. I'm in the camp that prefers Tooie (Tooie is my all time fav game) but BK is absolutely great as well.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Tremendous game. Music still sticks in my head. Different feel than Mario and both are absolute masterpieces.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Best way to play Banjo 1 & 2 is on Xbox One X in 4k.
They've never been released on PC, but either Rare Replay on Xbox One or the Xbox 360 Arcade versions are the definitive versions of both games. Rare Replay also comes with a huge amount of other Rare titles gussied up in HD.
Don't own an XB1 so guess its out of the question. That being said appreciate the timely responses and here hoping for a PC port at some point of Rare Replay.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, OK, I think it's finally time to play through these. I was going to wait until I got to them chronologically in Rare Replay, but eh, gonna have to break the (self-imposed) rules. :)

Nov 21, 2018
I replayed it when I bought Rare replay and I felt the opposite I loved it more than Mario64 as a kid but now feel mario 64 is vastly superior

Deleted member 70647

Banned
May 31, 2020
- Crash remaster success
- Spyro remaster success
- Banjo in Smash success

fuckin hell
It always makes me so upset that Rare just constantly sits on great series and refuses to do anything with them. I remember a year or so ago reading an interview with Rare where I think they flat out said they dont wanna make a new Banjo and still doubt that it would be popular. They're like, weirdly stubborn.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 64 excels at mechanics and level layout and Banjo at diversity (transformations and stuff), music and overall look+graphics.
But they're both 10/10 games.

Tooie trumps both in graphic fidelity and scale but lacks in everything else.