• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Good lord man,

The new DC animated Justice league movie is insane. Multiple f bombs are dropped, plenty of big main superheroes are shown having there heads ripped off, torso torn in half, arms and legs taken off. Harley Quinn is shown bashing skulls with her hammer in a very brutal way. This movie took me by surprise and is far more dark then any live action dc movie. Was actually pretty cool movie all in all besides some weak acting from a couple of heroes.

What did y'all think about it Era? I actually would rank this one up there very high on the list. I wonder if the next movie will be in the rebirth timeline since this wraps up the new 52 continuity from the last 12 or so movies.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I still need to watch it!

You should check out Flashpoint if you haven't, it also goes places you won't expect.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I hear good things and need to watch it too.

is it supposed to be on the DC Universe app soon? May just wait for it to show up there...

May 10, 2018
I still need to watch it!

You should check out Flashpoint if you haven't, it also goes places you won't expect.
Flashpoint is great but nah, Apokolips war is on a whole other level. Not in terms of quality because I think Flashpoint is better but in terms of gore and violence.

It makes the violence in Flashpoint look like nothing.

Suicide Squad Hell to Pay is similar though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Flashpoint is great but nah, Apokolips war is on a whole other level. Not in terms of quality because I think Flashpoint is better but in terms of gore and violence.

It makes the violence in Flashpoint look like nothing.

Suicide Squad Hell to Pay is similar though.

I wasn't comparing, was just recommending Flashpoint as another good movie to watch.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it recently and while I enjoyed it, I was put off with the uncessary violence and f-bombs. It was very edgy and felt like it was pandering.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Ive seen them all and yeah flashpoint is a good one. Batman red hood, and dark knight returns 1 and 2 are also my other favorites

Yeah, the most recent one I watched was Red Son which wasn't as good. Killer presentation but the bland art style and Superman's poor Russian accent made it a bit of a bummer.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah the trouncing of the League and the other teams on Apokalips is wild. People get their limbs torn off, heads squeezed into mush, and others are brutally tortured. And most of these are explicit, on-screen displays, not subtle suggestions from off screen or in the shadows. It was gnarly.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I liked it.

However:

Status quo restored by the end, rendering all that had just transpired, meaningless to a great extent. Makes me wonder whether the next movie's plot will revolve around using Apokolips' events to fight a successful war.

I saw it recently and while I enjoyed it, I was put off with the uncessary violence and f-bombs. It was very edgy and felt like it was pandering.

I counted one F-bomb. One.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but wasn't there only one "F bomb"? Definitely tons of ultra violence though, I was surprised given its a DC movie.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once the shock value wears off, I really started to dislike it.

It feels like a snuff film at times, some of the characters deaths were unintentionally hilarious.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I enjoyed it, but man there were some gruesome ends to some characters. My partner has watched all these movies with me, and she would be like "Yay! It's Batgirl! ...Oh. OH NO."

According to some This was actually plan for JL 2
That word has been out there for a while. Except this being as excessively grimdark as it is atleast stands out against roughly 15 movies of character growth, relationships, wins, and losses.... vs. stuff like BvS

OP
OP
Bunzy

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I liked it.

However:

Status quo restored by the end, rendering all that had just transpired, meaningless to a great extent. Makes me wonder whether the next movie's plot will revolve around using Apokolips' events to fight a successful war.

there are 2 fbombs

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great way to remind the audience how fucking pointless this entire animated movie universe has been.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's no purpose to the characters dying other than shock value.

It was straight up nihilistic, I don't understand how people think this good storytelling.
Because it's a movie with dozens and dozens of characters, many of whom we've atleast got to know in different movies, and it's not about them. It's about a surviving handful's perspective in the face of the end-times. And by the ending, they certainly don't view it as "well this was fine."

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all need to check out the new animated Mortal Kombat movie. It literally has x-ray fatalities. My mouth literally hung open during the entire opening with Scorpion.

3a519d14-3882-46c7-913bjpt.gif

46adec82-424b-401a-b1ipjyh.gif

cc11e27e-68dc-4022-80l2jbd.gif

dcea361e-b4fc-4512-bedujvf.gif

Last edited:

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And I thought them showing how people are gruesomely meat grindered into parademons in the previous film was messed up.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's a movie with dozens and dozens of characters, many of whom we've atleast got to know in different movies, and it's not about them. It's about a surviving handful's perspective in the face of the end-times. And by the ending, they certainly don't view it as "well this was fine."

But what purpose did those death's serve? What's the point of having Barbara get chewed up by Para demons (who was just introduced briefly in Batman Hush), or John Stewart's unintentionally hilarious death scene? Or killing like half of the other heroes and somehow turning them into Cyborgs?

Like, one of my favorite superhero films is Logan, which also has a ton of death. But it was part of the film's themes and narrative. When Logan, Charles, or that family died, it meant something.

Here the deaths mean nothing other than "look how edgy we are".

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So is this animated movie universe actually good? I kind of peaced out after flashpoint and the first justice league movie

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is this animated movie universe actually good? I kind of peaced out after flashpoint and the first justice league movie

No. Most of the films are blah and the continuity is half haphazardly thrown together.

The only one worth watching is Flashpoint and The Death of Superman (which is actually really good).

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
But what purpose did those death's serve? What's the point of having Barbara get chewed up by Para demons (who was just introduced briefly in Batman Hush), or John Stewart's unintentionally hilarious death scene? Or killing like half of the other heroes and somehow turning them into Cyborgs?
The purpose was simple: to emphasize the massive threat of Darkseid and Apokolips's forces compared to everything else they have ever faced.

This why Constantine convinces The Flash to cause another Flashpoint. Even though they won, the damage to the heroes and earth itself was too massive to be even considered a bittersweet victory.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
The animation on these is so stiff and lifeless, I find them a chore to watch.

I grew up on the DCAU so I check in every so often to see if they've picked up their game and it's always the same garbage. It's not just the animation - but the storyboarding, so much of the staging is really perfunctory and unappealing.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got really uncomfortable watching it. It's weird because you think that of course these things could happen to these heroes, this would be a bit more "real" in regards to the dangers they constantly face, but it's still really jarring to actually see it all happen.

Overall I thought it was ok, but the one part I really liked they undid later because we can't have nice things.

I've hated Damian in this AU and I was super happy when he died, but then the asshole gets revived through some real dumb healing power bullshit Raven apparently pulled out her ass at the end. Fuck I hate Damian so much in these. At least the Trigon vs Darkseid thing happened like how I thought it would. I thought that shit was hilarious.

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I liked it.

However:

This is the last movie in a series they have been doing. There are even call backs to other DC films like death of superman is heavily referenced. There will be a new timeline of movies and different style in the upcoming releases.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Like, one of my favorite superhero films is Logan, which also has a ton of death. But it was part of the film's themes and narrative. When Logan, Charles, or that family died, it meant something.

There is no shortage of people that found that family's death in Logan to be a distasteful disposal of an innocent black family that were only endangered by Xavier stupidly saying "no let's stay here, it'll be great!" I like Logan just fine, but no, it doesn't always justify its choices.

As far as this movie's deaths go, again, it's everyone that's left facing one final cataclysm, and they want the threat to be tangibly overwhelming. It's clearly going for shock value for the characters it's not interested in, and even so, it doesn't treat its ending as a win. Why cyberize a bunch of half-dead Leaguers? Because it's perfectly in-line with Darkseid's methods to make people face (and lose) to the twisted visages of their lost friends, and there's a reason they have Diana being pulled back from that.

No one is defending this as an Oscar-nominee.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm champing at the bit to watch this. What DC Animated movies should I watch before this one?

Is it all of them? I'm thinking I might just watch all of them.

OP
OP
Bunzy

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I think the other thing about this movie is the way clark acts is perfect Superman and also the fact the main cast is Constantine, Raven, and a powerless Superman is unique.

superman voice actor is weak and so is the voice actor for Damien Wayne

is it really that hard to get Tim Daly to voice Superman, my god how busy could he be

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The animation on these is so stiff and lifeless, I find them a chore to watch.

I grew up on the DCAU so I check in every so often to see if they've picked up their game and it's always the same garbage. It's not just the animation - but the storyboarding, so much of the staging is really perfunctory and unappealing.
This is a real problem with these DC animated movies.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird that this is how they chose to end their 15 movie animated universe. Like, there's little point in re-watching any of the previous movies now because you know their struggles and victories in those stories end up amount to nothing with the events of this film.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Not all of them are great, but there are afew decent watches that rise above something you'd maybe half-watch on your phone. Death/Reign of Superman are good. Some of the Batman ones are alright. Judas Contract and Suicide Squad were decent.

I'm champing at the bit to watch this. What DC Animated movies should I watch before this one?

There's a direct continuity through most of the ones of the last few years.

Flashpoint Paradox
Justice League: War
Son of Batman
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Batman vs. Robin
Justice League vs. Teen Titans
Batman: Bad Blood
Teen Titans: Judas Contract
Justice League Dark
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
Death of Superman
Reign of the Supermen
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
Batman: Hush

and then ending with Apokalips War. Not sure if I got everything or got that order quite right.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The whole film just felt like DC's version of Ultimatum. A lot of gory pointless deaths, maybe one or two good character moments, then back to more grizzly deaths. I can understand wanting to establish stakes, but the emphasis on gore, even compared to Flashpoint, just reeks of being done with the setting, and deciding to go for shock value over strong storytelling.

Hell, the Injustice comic and games handled super violence with DC characters way better. All the pointless gore does is desensitize me from the plight of the heroes. Raising the stakes to such a high level, just means that a lot of great characters become nothing but fodder.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not all of them are great, but there are afew decent watches that rise above something you'd maybe half-watch on your phone. Death/Reign of Superman are good. Some of the Batman ones are alright. Judas Contract and Suicide Squad were
Kk. Will add them to the list. Was always curious how they handled the Deathstroke and Terra stuff in JC.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bone crunching sound and gore like those "TOP 10 VIOLENT ANIME" youtube videos, it just made the whole thing miserable and cynic, like they watched the Harley Quinn show and missed the point.

It made sense in Flashpoint but here it felt boring, in particular with the elaborate cruel killing of characters with so many stories behind them.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York

The movies are are in-universe to this are:
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)
Justice League: War (2014)
Son of Batman (2014)
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (2015)
Batman vs. Robin (2015)
Batman: Bad Blood (2016)
Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016)
Justice League Dark (2017)
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017)
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (2018)
The Death of Superman (2018)
Reign of the Supermen (2019)
Batman: Hush (2019)
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (2019)
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020)

The ones I think are absolutely essential to this movie's plot
The Flashpoint Paradox
JL War
Son of Batman
JL vs Teen Titans
JL Dark
The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen

The ones it pays off with Batman vs Robin, The Judas Contract and Hell to Pay.
It's so weird that this is how they chose to end their 15 movie animated universe. Like, there's little point in re-watching any of the previous movies now because you know their struggles and victories in those stories end up amount to nothing with the events of this film.

I disagree. I think it's nice to have a proper well-defined universe with a beginning and end that are determined, and know that it may still "exist"
Heck I thought Flashpoint mattered little until Hell to Pay

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Oh god it sounds exactly like what a Snyder with no restraints would make Animation wise. Nooooope not for me