• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
This is what I don't understand with Era. I've seen plenty of people here defend James Gunn when Disney fired him for 10 year old pedophilia jokes. If Era can forgive Gunn for decade old tweets, I don't see why Mike shouldn't be given the same courtesy. People do change and ultimately that is what we all should hope for.

It's easier to forgive people for juvenile comments made in poor taste when they can plausibly be interpreted as jokes, which sure as hell isn't the case with those terrible comics. Obvious racism aside, they're completely incomprehensible as an attempt at humor, even dumbass edgelord teen humor.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
It's easier to forgive people for juvenile comments made in poor taste when they can plausibly be interpreted as jokes, which sure as hell isn't the case with those terrible comics. Obvious racism aside, they're completely incomprehensible as an attempt at humor, even dumbass edgelord teen humor.
And pedophilia is? Are you serious?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way to combat these issues is to address them. By not addressing them we become complicit, much as James is with the Mike situation being discussed in this thread. Yeah, it's shitty and feels bad to have to deal with people like this but we can't just ignore it because it's not a positive experience.
Then why does no one ever talk about the blantant racism that happens on this forum? Why must everyone outside of this community be called out but no one within it?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I could never get very far in the first one, but it had a lot of great callbacks to old episodes. Also the pause menu was good for a chuckle
8FwhKtu.jpg
Lol, that is pretty funny.
Mike seems so just... Normal on his streams too. Never knew he was like that :S
Yeah, he does seem chill on his streams so that was random.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Then why does no one ever talk about the blantant racism that happens on this forum? Why must everyone outside of this community be called out but no one within it?

It doesn't happen enough here, but it does happen. It's disengenous to suggest that only those outside of ERA are being critiqued while the forum somehow goes unchecked.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
There is nothing even remotely funny about pedophilia. What James Gunn did was the very definition of dumbass edgelord teen humor, well except for the fact that he was an adult well into his 30s when he posted those tweets. Both Gunn's decade old tweets and Mike's decade old racist comics are equally disgusting and unfunny. Both should be treated equally as such, yet that doesn't seem to be the case here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
There is nothing even remotely funny about pedophilia. What James Gunn did was the very definition of dumbass edgelord teen humor, well except for the fact that he was an adult well into his 30s when he posted those tweets. Both Gunn's decade old tweets and Mike's decade old racist comics are equally disgusting and unfunny. Both should be treated equally as such, yet that doesn't seem to be the case here.

You don't have to think something is funny to recognize it was a joke. Quit quoting me, thanks.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017

Era does seem to like to pick and choose it's battles when it comes to racism especially. It also seems like people are more willing to ignore or forgive if that person is perceived as an "ally".

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
User Warned: Dismissing Criticism of Racist Material
"where did you learn to fly?"

Also, why am i not surprised ERA being ERA and pretends itself to be some sort of Arbiter & Paragon of absolute virtue.

Most ERA folks must have halos (or tesla rings if u r into science) above their heads...

Last edited:

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awh man. And I was looking forward to picking this up. I actually liked the videos with mike but turns out he's just white trash :(

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Do we not? I mean, it may indeed be the case that we don't do nearly enough of it. But it seems to me whenever I click into a thread like this there is at least one person saying some ignorant shit, who is immediately dunked on by at least two other members and [unfortunately, sometimes, but not all the time] given at least a warning by mods. Hell, just the other day, I went off on some people in the diversity thread for phraseology and statements used in describing Southern Europeans (which I never in my life imagined I'd have to do, lol).

This kind of thing is very important to me, ignorant as I may be. Especially considering why we're all here, and what Era itself was supposed to represent. Could you please share your perspective with me further?

Last edited:

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is what I don't understand with Era. I've seen plenty of people here defend James Gunn when Disney fired him for 10 year old pedophilia jokes. If Era can forgive Gunn for decade old tweets, I don't see why Mike shouldn't be given the same courtesy. People do change and ultimately that is what we all should hope for.

Try drawing the line at the question "did he apologize?" one of the two did. Several times, out of their own impulse, without being asked to.

Stop trying to point fingers at era while peddling these dishonest arguments put in the world by none other than Mike fucking Cernovic.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's 4AM local time and I'm at a little bit of a loss right now. I used to throw AVGN on in the background when I couldn't sleep...and since I am a bit of a chronic insomniac, this was pretty much every night, lol. I need to find a new "sleep aid" series...

EDIT: Btw, how is that Jacksepticeye fellow?

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
James Gunn sincerely addressed, explained and apologized for those statements in a believable way and proved he's a better person now. Matei didn't do one of these things. Rolfe also didn't adress anything and no-reacted every time it got brought up.

There's a difference between these issues.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

Also, why am i not surprised ERA being ERA and pretends itself to be some sort of Arbiter & Paragon of absolute virtue.

Most ERA folks must have halos (or tesla rings if u r into science) above their heads...
So honestly, are those comics not really, really bad? I'm not looking to crucify anyone or anything. But, what would be the normal, sensible, not "crazy Resetera" reaction to those comics?

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I mean all Mike had to do when those comics resurfaced was give an apology along the lines of "I am sorry, I was an immature and racist ass back then. I've grown as a person since and these comics do not reflect who I am today". Instead he said "I still draw those comics every now and then but nobody has the balls to publish them" so he's still the same person and merits the criticism he is getting.

Those who bring up Gunn are arguing in very bad faith. I don't like the man and think that he was of the age that he should have known better, whether it was 2008 or 2018 should be irrelevant, but at least he apologised and showed he had moved on since then.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
As for working with them, there are videos on youtube, the last being two years ago, but that's kind of around the time where I cut them, and JonTron as well as AOS were both openly shit, which is why I dropped them.

as for the Mike stuff in particular. If he apologized since, I haven't seen it. Like I said, dropped them and whenever I speak out about it, nobody has really be able to defend it or show proof that they've change. James has always been a quiet go with the flow spineless kinda person, so I don't expect him to care, speak out or even "get" why some of these people and his close friend are bad people. Being indifferent and still associating with people like this is just as shitty as being like them, so fuck him too tbh.

th0bthkcbiq01.png

SbfuBt4.gif

That Second one is uh, something to say the least.

On Topic: I had played a tiny bit of the 1st one on 3DS, couldn't beat the first level, so I'll probably pick it up if the PC Releases get upgraded or if Switch pricing isn't awful.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Incredibly distasteful racist comics and posting pictures of his dick online. Mike really has psychological issues. I'm not going to fund James for sticking around with shitty people.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
James has always been a quiet go with the flow spineless kinda person, so I don't expect him to care, speak out or even "get" why some of these people and his close friend are bad people. Being indifferent and still associating with people like this is just as shitty as being like them, so fuck him too tbh.

I never liked AVGN really but when I heard about him being best pals with AOS and then the guy he is best friends and co-works with on these projects being like this? I guess James must not care at all which makes him pretty damn spineless. I have heard that he does avoid any of it anytime it's brought up.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
big fan of AVGN and I will definitely play this on the Switch when it releases, should be fun spotting all the easter eggs

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly distasteful racist comics and posting pictures of his dick online. Mike really has psychological issues. I'm not going to fund James for sticking around with shitty people.
Pretty much where I'm at. He looks at the shit around him and his response is basically "it's not aimed at me so I don't care."

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ITT: People's perspectives are shattered when they find out who people really are. I think that's the issue with a lot of content creators these days, we think that we know who they are but the reality is that we only see a very small glimpse of their lives/personality that they specifically curate to put on for videos.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
ITT: People's perspectives are shattered when they find out who people really are. I think that's the issue with a lot of content creators these days, we think that we know who they are but the reality is that we only see a very small glimpse of their lives/personality that they specifically curate to put on for videos.

You could pretty much say this about everyone on the internet including us here on Era. We never really know people fully on the internet, only our perceived image of them.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
James is my personal hero. The things he does for charity, how he takes care of his family and what he has accomplished is really impressive. His Snes vs Sega Megadrive video I have on MP3 and I listen to it every day.

What Mike did in the past doesn't make James Rolfe a bad person. What someone does now is way more important

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Those comics are hideous. Holy shit. It's confirmed that Mike drew/wrote those and it's not doctored or fake comics? Because wow, that is just horrible.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
So honestly, are those comics not really, really bad? I'm not looking to crucify anyone or anything. But, what would be the normal, sensible, not "crazy Resetera" reaction to those comics?

To realize that they have a tenuous connection to both the game and its developers and make a new thread to discuss them.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The thing that gets me is it is always big YouTubers (not talking about James). Google needs to question why it is that shitheels always rise to the top of yt, to the point of it being a semi meme that every YouTube dude is a bigot.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
The thing that gets me is it is always big YouTubers (not talking about James). Google needs to question why it is that shitheels always rise to the top of yt, to the point of it being a semi meme that every YouTube dude is a bigot.
Google's seeming lack of care on this issue is the single most disappointing thing about them for me. PewDiePie and Logan Paul are still allowed to be there, making videos like nothing is wrong. They care more about maintaining ad revenues than about giving these bastards a platform - even when they have clearly crossed a line.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Google's seeming lack of care about this issue is the single most disappointing thing about them to me. PewDiePie and Logan Paul are there still there, making videos like nothing is wrong. They care more about maintaining ad revenues than about giving these bastards a platform - even when they have clearly crossed a line.
Google have got a free pass thanks to Facebook being worse but this issue along with their recommendations regularly trying to get me to watch "anti sjw" shit because I've watched a giant bomb video is horrible. I curate my watch history and delete anything I've accidently clicked on from bigots and still have the problem.They actively push the worst parts of gaming culture to the forefront if you dare watch any gaming video.

Gonna sound like a old fuck but I genuinely worry for the effect this is having on kids.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
James is friends with Mike since the college days. I doubt he gives a shit about what Mike did in the past and all that. If you guys had a best friend for ten years and found out that one time he wrote a racist comic strip would you guys "address the situation" nowadays if he never again gave signs of being racist? What Mike did was shit and he got a lot of fire from it, I think thats enough, even more if he didnt give any signs of racism recently. People fuck up. No reason to go after james or mike to a public apology or some shit nowadays.

giphy.gif

This doesn't make any sense. If I were in this situation and my friend was ousted for doing a heinous as fuck comic, but has since not been racist (which isn't true in this case, nor has he apologized whatsoever.). We should definitely address it. I have no qualms admitting to being wrong, to have bigoted views and misunderstandings of certain topics or intricacies of topics. I know what it's like to be hurt by shit like this, and I feel like I would owe it to my fans to clarify that I am not the same person anymore. That I am truly sorry and embarrassed, but that I genuinely am not the same person, and would like for those hurt by this to stick around so I can continue to prove that I've changed and am continuing to grow as a person.

So to give them a pass because they got shit is fucking stupid. I can spout all this dumb racist and homophobic bullshit, but as long as people call me out and insult me, taking my lashings so to speak, that's enough to you? I don't give a shit how long you've been my friend, I PERSONALLY don't tolerate shit like that, and if you were hiding it from me and I discovered your shitty comic or whatever, I would totally call you out and see where you stand, or where the fuck that came from and that it's simply not okay.

Let's use the Maximilian example, of a slip of the tongue saying of the n-word. THAT is "fucking up". What THIS is, is FUCKED up, there's a big difference. Max even apologized profusely for it, because anyone with a good conscience and who genuinely isn't like that would probably feel compelled to clear the air and defend the quality of their character, no..? There was NOTHING that remotely resembled an apology, not even a shitty "sorry that you're offended" one.

There's definitely reason to "go after them."

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Being a paragon of absolute virtue = apologizing for extremely racist and homophobic comics you wrote and drew.

ERA being ERA indeed...

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Right? I mean, which of us hasn't "fucked a bus full of niggers and gotten aids"..? Ya'll acting like you haven't said or written anything like that before! What a bunch of choir boys you lot are.

Get over yourself lol. I don't give a shit if someone is an asshole. But if you're a racist, sexist or phobic asshole, you bet your ass I'm going to call you out or speak out about it. You can be sad and indifferent, not care about stuff like this all you want just don't bring people who actually care down with you.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we not? I mean, it may indeed be the case that we don't do nearly enough of it. But it seems to me whenever I click into a thread like this there is at least one person saying some ignorant shit, who is immediately dunked on by at least two other members and [unfortunately, sometimes, but not all the time] given at least a warning by mods. Hell, just the other day, I went off on some people in the diversity thread for phraseology and statements used in describing Southern Europeans (which I never in my life imagined I'd have to do, lol).

This kind of thing is very important to me, ignorant as I may be. Especially considering why we're all here, and what Era itself was supposed to represent. Could you please share your perspective with me further?
It can be complicated but as someone mentioned we should have these types of discussion even though this is about the AVGN game. That one hit me, as we've many threads revolving POC and minorities (most of the time its about black people) and the thread gets closed for "running its course" or even no reason given at all. Thats a slap in the face and makes me think why even bother. I wish I could provide some examples but I'm not saving every single thread to provide proof in the future.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Gunn also talked about his stupid shit in interviews, unprovoked, showed genuine remorse for his comments and apologized. He also suffered consequences as a result.

Mike has only addressed the issue once, to my knowledge, and in so doing only said that no publishers had the balls to publish his work (gee, I wonder why?)

False equivalency much?

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It can be complicated but as someone mentioned we should have these types of discussion even though this is about the AVGN game. That one hit me, as we've many threads revolving POC and minorities (most of the time its about black people) and the thread gets closed for "running its course" or even no reason given at all. Thats a slap in the face and makes me think why even bother. I wish I could provide some examples but I'm not saving every single thread to provide proof in the future.
That is fair. I think the rationale of mods in many of those situations is that the thread has devolved into racists making an ass of themselves vs rational people arguing against them, and letting it go on would be giving the former group a "platform". In so doing, however, they are indeed shutting down the discussion entirely. And it is a discussion that needs to be had.

It does bother me to have to click into threads that talk about racism, or even just representation in our industry and our community, with the knowledge that the first page will already be filled with people emphatically denying there is anything wrong with their favorite creator or their precious hobby, and demanding to know why we should even be having this conversation at all. There is a dependable contingent of these voices in every one of these threads, without fail, and they are not moderated. Hell, there are even mods in this thread, and yet I don't see a single warning given out here when there are clearly some of the same such posts. On this policy I must firmly express my disagreement. There is a difference between allowing people to "express an opinion", and allowing them to deny bigotry, to dismiss people's concerns, and to derail and threadwhine discussions of real issues - none of which are opinions at all.

I do feel optimistic that in a place like this, at least, problems can be acknowledged and corrected. Cerium , insofar as I've spoken with him, seems like a decent fellow capable of listening to reason - not at all like that scumbag EvilLore. Maybe if we keep making noise things will change. Lord knows I've been shouting about getting The Last Night and its phobic creator added to the banlist at every opportunity for ages now.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does that mean Jonathan "Genepool" Jafari is defensible?
l l l
vvv
I think more that it was before JonTron was known to have had those views.
As hard as it is to remember now, there was a time before he revealed his bigoted views when JonTron was a beloved and highly popular YouTuber. He crossed over with everybody, from James Rolfe to Mega64 - not to mention being one half of Game Grumps. He was a guest voice in A Hat In Time and Yooka-Laylee. He interviewed Grant Kirkhope. Everybody loved him.

Him coming out as a white supremacist eugenist was a huge blow and a really sad day for the community.