• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFnPBbUObs&t=2451s

I think at around 20 mins in Steve throws out the term "trap". And this is from 2018 as well. No callings out like the N word, this isn't a slip up either. I'm sure any videos that feature Poison would probably have a lot of evidence to back it up too.
Man, the Max example you posted I could see happening due to ignorance and not really thinking of anything more than "hey that woman has a masculine physique" but throwing out "trap" is extremely disappointing and that can't lean on ignorance. What a fucking bummer.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
First time I hear about this Mike guy, did he appear in AVGN videos? Those comics are something else, holy shit.
He's co-writer, illustator and executive producer of AVGN since day one until these days, and I'm of the opinion everyone pretending to believe the "but poor James Rolfe has no idea about his tirades" that were all over twitter, AVGN Reddit, every AVGN thread and have literally his name under it, while still ignoring and no-commenting whenever it gets brought up and search excuses why he wouldn't know about any of it are completely deluding themselves. There's no way in hell he doesn't know this shit and at least approves it by way of silence.

People have been ostracized on here for way less, James gets a free pass because I dunno gaming video nostalgia?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
At this point it feels like mike and his friends have the run of the channel while James only piece of the show left now is AVGN.

Is it a nostalgia critic situation where james agreed to sign the character away or some shit? Or co-ownership of Cinemassacre?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
At this point it feels like mike and his friends have the run of the channel while James only piece of the show left now is AVGN.

Is it a nostalgia critic situation where james agreed to sign the character away or some shit? Or co-ownership of Cinemassacre?

James has actually way more content lately than before. His video review rental series is quite popular

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Man, the Max example you posted I could see happening due to ignorance and not really thinking of anything more than "hey that woman has a masculine physique" but throwing out "trap" is extremely disappointing and that can't lean on ignorance. What a fucking bummer.

it definitely can lean on ignorance, i myself didn't knew it was offensive until like 2 years ago! I just thought it was funny and harmless, never really thought about it until someone told me

not trying to excuse myself, i should have been more aware about what's going on outside, but still, it was ignorance

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you don't like AVGN, these games are still very fun and worth picking up.

I like the AVGN himself. Even before reading those comics, Mike was one of the most annoying people I've ever seen on YouTube. He is fucking AWFUL

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I'm not a big consumer of AVGN content, but I took a look at his Rental Reviews series a month or so back being a fan of b-movies and whatnot but the show is quite disjointed with lots of circle talking and points that never lead anywhere.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with youtube people at all so I was curious who these people were and took a look at one them on Twitter (I believe it was the larger gentleman), and first thing I saw was retweets of Trump posts so I nope'd out and haven't watched any since. Might be James has no idea and just focuses on his children (atleast I think he has children?) but I must admit it was sad to discover that he might associate with Trumptards.

driftshake

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh come on dudes. I didn't know Mike was a shithead, but can we please not make the thread about that. James is a wholesome dude, and bringing stuff like this up just hurts this awesome news. If every single thread is going to be bad-by-association, how is it possible to have good news? And bringing up DF... Not everyone has the time or interest to go on a damn background check on everyone on the internet. It's cool that you know every biggot and racist on the net, but most people don't.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Even if you don't like AVGN, these games are still very fun and worth picking up.

I like the AVGN himself. Even before reading those comics, Mike was one of the most annoying people I've ever seen on YouTube. He is fucking AWFUL
Yeah I like James a lot, Mike is just his annoying tagalong friend, but they clearly get along really well and I don't begrudge that at all. If James started echoing his bits or playing off them that'd be an issue, but they keep all that stuff off-channel and have kept it off-channel nearly the entire time

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
James is a really cool guy and I've been watching AVGN since the good ol' GameTrailers days. I'll definitely pick these up to support him.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Oh come on dudes. I didn't know Mike was a shithead, but can we please not make the thread about that. James is a wholesome dude, and bringing stuff like this up just hurts this awesome news. If every single thread is going to be bad-by-association, how is it possible to have good news? And bringing up DF... Not everyone has the time or interest to go on a damn background check on everyone on the internet. It's cool that you know every biggot and racist on the net, but most people don't.

Man I was just thinking about this myself. It feels like everytime I come into a thread here it ends up being "well x person or y person did this so don't support this" or something along those lines. It's starting to feel extremely negative. I'm not saying none of these people don't deserve some shit but I'm the type of person who generally stays out of stuff like that. I'm just here for the games but this place is starting to feel less about games and more about the negative personalities of people every day. Anyway, rant over.

On topic, definitely gonna try this out. Been meaning to try the AVGN game when it released and never got around to it.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This thread reads like the subreddit hate section. Just need someone to bring up Erin and the circle is complete. Mikes done questionable content way back in the early days but he's been fine for years now. Not sure if he's ever commented on the old questionable stuff as I don't follow super close.

As for the avgn games. I played the first and didn't like it. There's only two or three level ideas and a handful of enemies that get reskinned for the entire game. Too much repetition for my taste. Never tried the second game.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Well, I could agree on certain cases but have you seen those comics? If as people here say he never apologised for those then, I'm sorry, but that doesn't get a pass.
Happy Console Gamer is just good vibes all of the time.
He could be happier sometimes though

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man I was just thinking about this myself. It feels like everytime I come into a thread here it ends up being "well x person or y person did this so don't support this" or something along those lines. It's starting to feel extremely negative. I'm not saying none of these people don't deserve some shit but I'm the type of person who generally stays out of stuff like that. I'm just here for the games but this place is starting to feel less about games and more about the negative personalities of people every day. Anyway, rant over.

On topic, definitely gonna try this out. Been meaning to try the AVGN game when it released and never got around to it.

He's just a wholesome swell guy who keeps company with bigots. How DARE you take attention off his game and point it towards the fact that awful people profit of the sales of this product directly! I'm not saying we need to do 29 degrees of separation just to "GOTCHA!" every single person or product, but Mike is right there. Every single week and a major part in all this. I'm sorry, but you're not "wholesome" if that is your best friend and business partner.

Once more, the issue wouldn't BE an issue if they weren't bad people outside of their "wholesome" personas. There are plenty of games that get discussed without "Oh, ____ is a bigot?" because they usually aren't. It should be brought to people's attention when possible. If you want to cover your ears and drown out the discussion of how minorities are frustrated that shit like this gets to go on and these people continue to make money while also being shitty and contributing to shitty gamer culture, then that's ya'lls (ya'll's?) prerogative.

If you want to be here for the games, then go for it, just don't word it like you care more for the feelings of racists than people who are effected by their shitty actions.

And honestly, there's so little effort into even looking into someone's views. You can literally just type name + alt-right or gamergate or what have you. It's really not that hard lol. You guys make it always seem like folks just dig through the credits of Ubisoft games and research ever single person to make sure it gets a pass. That's not the world we live in. But when folks who have such direct ties to a product or people, then yeah, maybe you should prioritize morals over cool video games?

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a big consumer of AVGN content, but I took a look at his Rental Reviews series a month or so back being a fan of b-movies and whatnot but the show is quite disjointed with lots of circle talking and points that never lead anywhere.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with youtube people at all so I was curious who these people were and took a look at one them on Twitter (I believe it was the larger gentleman), and first thing I saw was retweets of Trump posts so I nope'd out and haven't watched any since. Might be James has no idea and just focuses on his children (atleast I think he has children?) but I must admit it was sad to discover that he might associate with Trumptards.

Not defending trump or any of the batshit crazy supporters he has, but isnt it hypocritical to call them out but than use a term for them that teases the mentally disabled? If you dont like play on words for racists or LGBT than why is it ok to call them something that affects millions of people and families? There has to be better wording or we ourselves are no better

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Funny, I was just playing on my Wii U the other day (Mario 3 Mix after seeing it at GDQ) and saw AVGN1 on my menu screen and thought huh its weird that this hasn't been ported to Switch, everything like this is being ported!

And now, bam!

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, and this pertains to whenever this comes up, be it Kingdomcome Deliverance or The Last Night, any of 'em. What's more shitty?

People coming into a thread about a video game, where there has been discussions that person(s) involved are bigots and folks that feel personally attacked by their actions/words and expressing that they wont support the game or are conflicted by doing so and folks who don't know about those words or actions should be made aware before deciding on if they want to support the project/person(s) involved? And I'm not talking about Steve, the guy who is the secondary lead grass shadder on triple A game. I'm talking about key role people here.

or

People getting annoyed that people are bogging up the thread about a VIDEO GAME, talking about the person(s) behind it involvement in REAL WORLD social issues, that further hate movements like the alt-right and gamergate..?

Like can't ya'll ignore at least a game or two? Would it really kill ya? You guys share this space with people of color and the LGBTQ+ who are also gamers like you. Maybe their thoughts and feelings on some of these matters should matter more than "Shut up, I want to talk about the game!". It's a person to person basis, I'm not saying I speak on behalf of these groups, nobody really can or could. But I want to create a dialogue where this discussion can be had and thoughts and feelings are heard about it (except the shitty bigot ones).

I think there is a lot of grey areas in these discussions. I think they vary upon person to person and project to project. And I PERSONALLY feel that in this case, people who are really close to this one are bad and shouldn't be supported. I'm not going to look down on you for wanting to play Dragon Quest in spite of Sugiyama's awful shit. But I can understand why you wouldn't support it as well. If he were the lead writer/director of the project, I feel that would be an entirely different beast. It varies.

The video game doesn't have feelings. People do, the video game will be okay. I promise.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Not defending trump or any of the batshit crazy supporters he has, but isnt it hypocritical to call them out but than use a term for them that teases the mentally disabled? If you dont like play on words for racists or LGBT than why is it ok to call them something that affects millions of people and families? There has to be better wording or we ourselves are no better

You're absolutely right. Just general anger about anything Trump related after the native american protester thread made me cut short my vocabulary.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still like James. Jontron I can tolerate. Mike's past was pretty messed up. Everytime I watch a AVGN video I get the same feeling I get when I post here sometimes.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, and this pertains to whenever this comes up, be it Kingdomcome Deliverance or The Last Night, any of 'em. What's more shitty?

People coming into a thread about a video game, where there has been discussions that person(s) involved are bigots and folks that feel personally attacked by their actions/words and expressing that they wont support the game or are conflicted by doing so and folks who don't know about those words or actions should be made aware before deciding on if they want to support the project/person(s) involved? And I'm not talking about Steve, the guy who is the secondary lead grass shadder on triple A game. I'm talking about key role people here.

or

People getting annoyed that people are bogging up the thread about a VIDEO GAME, talking about the person(s) behind it involvement in REAL WORLD social issues, that further hate movements like the alt-right and gamergate..?

Like can't ya'll ignore at least a game or two? Would it really kill ya? You guys share this space with people of color and the LGBTQ+ who are also gamers like you. Maybe their thoughts and feelings on some of these matters should matter more than "Shut up, I want to talk about the game!". It's a person to person basis, I'm not saying I speak on behalf of these groups, nobody really can or could. But I want to create a dialogue where this discussion can be had and thoughts and feelings are heard about it (except the shitty bigot ones).

I think there is a lot of grey areas in these discussions. I think they vary upon person to person and project to project. And I PERSONALLY feel that in this case, people who are really close to this one are bad and shouldn't be supported. I'm not going to look down on you for wanting to play Dragon Quest in spite of Sugiyama's awful shit. But I can understand why you wouldn't support it as well. If he were the lead writer/director of the project, I feel that would be an entirely different beast. It varies.

The video game doesn't have feelings. People do, the video game will be okay. I promise.
I remain strongly against the decision not to add Kingdom Come or The Last Night to the Era Banlist. Frankly, with their repeated and unapologized-for transphobic comments (which were absolutely not just from "one rogue employee") I feel uncomfortable seeing new threads for CD Projekt as well.

I have long held "Separating art from artist" to be a deeply flawed argument, especially when the problematic artist is directly receiving compensation as a result of consuming their art, which is used to further their problematic views. It seems to me that people just don't want to abstain from playing a game they would otherwise enjoy. And that's really not too big a sacrifice, considering the sheer number of quality alternatives. More alternatives, in fact, than you could probably play through in your lifetime.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the first one back when it was released and enjoyed it, although those death blocks were annoying. The second one, not so much. Played it last year (or the year before, can't remember exactly), but this time I couldn't stand the writing and gameplay. I'd rather rewatch my favorite episodes instead, like the CDi trilogy, Sega CD/32x, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, Action 52/Cheetahmen 2, Silver Surfer or Swordquest.

Oct 27, 2017
I have long held "Separating art from artist" to be a deeply flawed argument, especially when the problematic artist is directly receiving compensation as a result of consuming their art
For me, 'separating art from artist' is just 'I don't care about the issue at hand'. Which is fine I guess, but then why just go to post on a thread to say you don't care.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
The first one... I have it on Steam and it's okay if you want a parody of hard as balls "retro" games.

Yeah, there was a second one but was a huge flop that made it impossible to fund the port to consoles. Seems like the Amazon Prime fund helped it a bit.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The only way to combat these issues is to address them. By not addressing them we become complicit, much as James is with the Mike situation being discussed in this thread. Yeah, it's shitty and feels bad to have to deal with people like this but we can't just ignore it because it's not a positive experience.

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
James is friends with Mike since the college days. I doubt he gives a shit about what Mike did in the past and all that. If you guys had a best friend for ten years and found out that one time he wrote a racist comic strip would you guys "address the situation" nowadays if he never again gave signs of being racist? What Mike did was shit and he got a lot of fire from it, I think thats enough, even more if he didnt give any signs of racism recently. People fuck up. No reason to go after james or mike to a public apology or some shit nowadays.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I still like James. Jontron I can tolerate. Mike's past was pretty messed up. Everytime I watch a AVGN video I get the same feeling I get when I post here sometimes.
I'm curious. Why do you tolerate JonTron?

I loved his content, his cheeky humor and his unrelenting love for Banjo-Kazooie.

But I listened to that podcast. Dude is full-on white nationalist, there's no talking around it. He is quoting the white power playbook, talking about other nationalities diluting our gene pool and using the same faked "black on white violence" stats that neo Nazis spam everywhere they can. He's gone full MAGA recently and was happy to offer an interview to an alt-right publication last year.

I genuinely want to know. Why do so many people wave it all away? How are you able to reconcile the vile things he uses his platform to spread and allow yourself to "tolerate" him?

I also ask because his comeback video hit top Top YouTube Trending lists and had insane view counts.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We need a politics subforum. All of this stuff regarding these people is 100% valid and worth discussing (and its one of the few places we can actually discuss these topics with relative civility regarding the game industry), but in the current set up it makes discussion about the actual videogame impossible.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Finally. I've wanted to play these but have had no interest in playing them on PC or Wii U.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole Mike comic thing is like a decade old isn't it? I was a heavy right-wing guy just 5 years ago. People change, clinging to the past to discredit them is pretty shitty.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
We need a politics subforum. All of this stuff regarding these people is 100% valid and worth discussing (and its one of the few places we can actually discuss these topics with relative civility regarding the game industry), but in the current set up it makes discussion about the actual videogame impossible.
Nobody is stopping you from discussing anything though, right?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious. Why do you tolerate JonTron?

I loved his content, his cheeky humor and his unrelenting love for Banjo-Kazooie.

But I listened to that podcast. Dude is full-on white nationalist, there's no talking around it. He is quoting the white power playbook, talking about other nationalities diluting our gene pool and using the same faked "black on white violence" stats that neo Nazis spam everywhere they can. He's gone full MAGA recently and was happy to offer an interview to an alt-right publication last year.

I genuinely want to know. Why do so many people wave it all away? How are you able to reconcile the vile things he uses his platform to spread and allow yourself to "tolerate" him?

I also ask because his comeback video hit top Top YouTube Trending lists and had insane view counts.
I'll have to listen to that and it might change my mind. I honestly did not look far too into it myself but I did hear a lot of shit. So thanks for letting me know.

Thing is, I experience a lot of the same type of stuff here and other places online in which video games are involved that I tolerate and I theres no levels to it.

Even this thread is about a game about someone who supports a racists person but its fine cause its games. Where yall draw the line?

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, again I hope it didn't come off like I was judging you. It might just be that his actual comments aren't as widely known as I think they are.

I also want to believe he's not the dude that I heard on that podcast. I was a big fan. 😞

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The whole Mike comic thing is like a decade old isn't it? I was a heavy right-wing guy just 5 years ago. People change, clinging to the past to discredit them is pretty shitty.

That's fine, if he were to actually come out and make a statement to that effect. Instead, they remain utterly silent on the issue. So we have no way of knowing if Mike has grown in his viewpoints and understands, with sincere remorse, how hurtful and ignorant his comic is.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
James is friends with Mike since the college days. I doubt he gives a shit about what Mike did in the past and all that. If you guys had a best friend for ten years and found out that one time he wrote a racist comic strip would you guys "address the situation" nowadays if he never again gave signs of being racist? What Mike did was shit and he got a lot of fire from it, I think thats enough, even more if he didnt give any signs of racism recently. People fuck up. No reason to go after james or mike to a public apology or some shit nowadays.
This is what I don't understand with Era. I've seen plenty of people here defend James Gunn when Disney fired him for 10 year old pedophilia jokes. If Era can forgive Gunn for decade old tweets, I don't see why Mike shouldn't be given the same courtesy. People do change and ultimately that is what we all should hope for.