• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Screenshot_2021-07-01_at_16-27-18_Gawr_Gura_Ch_hololive-EN.png

Screenshot_2021-07-01_at_16-27-34_Gawr_Gura_Ch_hololive-EN.png

Now that's an apex predator, Gura's explosive growth is just crazy. She has that certain "it" factor that just makes her content watchable for so many.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any notable streams of her, or at least highlight reels?

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Same-chan. I don't quite get what exactly makes her so uberpopular compared to everyone else but that's completely fine. Good to see that she brings so much entertainment to so many people and contributes greatly in making Vtubing grow.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen a few tiktoks of her and she's pretty good. Korone is still my favorite though.

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Same-chan. I don't quite get what exactly makes her so uberpopular compared to everyone else but that's completely fine. Good to see that she brings so much entertainment to so many people and contributes greatly in making Vtubing grow.
this isn't meant to discredit her in anyway, i think a lot of it has to do with the fervor for Holo EN and her debut + her design + her personality combined into a self perpetuating maw of a YT channel. The algorithm has basically strapped a rocket to her at this point.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. She's extremely talented. Her singing voice is like some 1930s Jazz crooner.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Even the Hololive members from JP and ID see her as some adorable child idol. They gush about how cute she is all the time.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
a

this isn't meant to discredit her in anyway, i think a lot of it has to do with the fervor for Holo EN and her debut + her design + her personality combined into a self perpetuating maw of a YT channel. The algorithm has basically strapped a rocket to her at this point.
Not to mention her previous channel before HoloLive was already almost at a million. So once she officially debuted she basically automatically gained all of those subscribers over a couple weeks due to the algorithm detecting that and recommending the new HoloLive channel.

So she not only was propelled from the algorithm giving her her existing fan base, but also from the hype of a dedicated English branch of HoloLive, and due to her being English means a higher ceiling due to it being the lingua franca of the world.

Also she's an amazing singer when she tries and has a good "authentic" stream personality, and debuted during a time of global uprooting of society.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The Kizuna fiasco doesn't help either. Everyone moved on to someone else when they pushed the original away.
this is false, kizuna still has a lot of fans, just not so much on youtube, she still has more followers than gura if you consider tik tok

Oct 25, 2017
While I do agree gura's growth is nuts, isn't that article a bit.... misleading?

Kizunai Ai is on a bunch of platforms, including another youtube chl with 1.5m subs. a Tiktok with 2.9m followers, a billibilli account with like 1.3m followers.

An interesting discussion would be viewership. I recall it being a bit of a deal when pekora ended up being in the top 5 of this chart last year.

Screenshot-2021-01-08-at-14.16.54.png

The first vtuber doing that.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
This shit just makes me feel like a doddering old man.
Last year, I thought Vtubers would be the thing that actually made me feel like a certified old guy at 30, but Gura won me over. The HoloEN gals (and many other Vtubers) are literally just regular YouTubers with digital avatars. They do all the normal stuff of let's plays, music, art, community events, etc. and not all of them have the same level of anime stylization or voice acting style. It's fun, the content is good.

I'm far from a superfan who watches every stream but I can pretty consistently find something I enjoy just in the Hololive EN lineup.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
Well deserved. She's extremely talented. Her singing voice is like some 1930s Jazz crooner.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

She is an AMZAZING singer.

Unfortunately some of her best performances are from unarchived karaoke streams, so you have to go to random clip channels to find them.

https://youtu.be/dpBJCmYickc