• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't take this the wrong way, but if they make his death also happen in-universe I really hope they find someone good otherwise it might end up being Far From Home-2 (talking about similar story beats here, like the person not thinking they are worthy of the mantle, etc). While M'Baku could be great (I like Duke as an actor), Shuri would make more sense. Still, even though I absolutely loathe them, I'd rather see a flashback movie.

They fucked up so bad killing Killmonger, goddamnit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I want, but I doubt MBJ would even consider it. It would just be too painful for him.

Honestly, this is my fear of thrusting the role onto any of the actors who were in the first film. Letitia, Winston, Michael, all of them have a way closer connection to Chadwick than we do. And asking them to take the weight off of his shoulders...

I can't even imagine.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You don't. That simple.
First post nails it.

No.

Black Panther is one of the most culturally important fictional characters of an entire generation. Retiring the character or franchise is absolutely the wrong decision.

The only real question is how T'Challa will be handled. But the character of Black Panther and the franchise should and needs to continue.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, Killmonger was too monstrous a villain for them ever to bring him back as BP putting aside the issue of his death. It's either Shuri, M'Baku, or N'goya.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chadwick Boseman does not seem like the kind of man that would feel disrespected at the idea of another actor carrying on what he started.

So in that sense, it doesn't feel disrespectful. However, whoever would be stepping into these shoes would unfortunately be submitting themselves to a lifetime of comparison.

But if they don't recast, maybe give it to M'Baku for a movie so that you can have an arc that -builds- to Shuri taking over and it makes it more satisfying.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they should kill him off. Maybe there could be several black panthers in the universe, because the garden got destroyed and the rules have changed on how many black panthers there are, then there's kind of a sweet thought that Boseman's T'challa is still ruling and having adventures, left to the imagination.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
If they already filming yeah I don't know. but honestly just make the sister Black Panther and keep it going. As that is the actual outcome

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
I think with enough time and thought, they'll figure out a way to move forward respectably, whatever that entails.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
This whole situation is just sad. I can't imagine having hope that you will get better and then suddenly taking a turn for the worse.

As for the films, Black Panther should definitely continue as a franchise. Shuri should be the next BP in my opinion. These films are huge for the black community.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
First post nails it. You can't proceed without Boseman. Not for a long, long time.

This would be such an insult to Boseman and what he strived for.

Sidelining Wakanda for a long, long time, would be a massive blow to such an important franchise, such an important world.

Leaving it behind for a long, long time, doesn't honor Boseman at all.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lupita Nyongo becomes queen of Wakanda, takes over as new Black Panther. Problem solved. We already know she can take over a movie, and the casting wouldn't have to change a bit.

I saw some people online talking about a time travel/alternate world plot to reform Eric Killmonger so that he becomes good and takes over as king the right way. Please god no.

If they could do it in a good way, like he comes back from the dead (Black Panther magic or something) a changed man,
I could see it.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Disney will delay their plans for the appropriate amount of time then recast the role. Maybe release a prequel movie in the interim, one focusing on T'Chaka or go further back in Wakanda's past, to the first Black Panther and the nation's founding for example, then tie that into the sequel's story somehow. Other Marvel movies in the production schedule will get adjustments to accommodate a Panther absence until they're ready to move forward again.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In what sense?
Shes already an established character and the most suitable to take over the mantle, her being female has nothing to do with it either
We don't even know what possibilities Black Panther had yet. Its not about being female or nothing like that. Its still too soon to move on from the original concept of Black Panther just yet.

rafox

Apr 28, 2020
Pass the mantle to Shuri. Make a meta movie about the legacy of the Black Panther/Chad and how tough it is to honor it.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
We need a Black Panther. I wouldn't want to in that actor's shoes but the character is already so important to so many people, that there is no way to retire him. I want more T'Challa and I trust Marvel to cast the right person. Honor Boseman by not retiring his legacy.

Aug 4, 2020
Few different options...

Shuri as BP
Killmonger as BP (alternative universe nonsense or just revive him. Its comicbooks)
Next BP movie is a team up with the remaining cast (which were one of the really strong points of the movie)

Disney is not going to retire the Black Panther brand

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Comics

You can pull any excuse out of your ass. Nothing is off limits.

Hell, they could tie it in with Secret Wars and say that wasn't even the real Killmonger, it was a Skrull.

I feel like that would completely destroy the narrative of the first movie if it was just a Skrull pretending to be Killmonger.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Confirms that nobody at Marvel or Disney knew about his cancer. Which seemed to be the case when it was reported only a close circle of people knew, but still pretty surprising that he could hide something like that for so long and from so many people.

A source close to Boseman tells The Hollywood Reporter that the 43-year-old actor, who had become noticeably thin in recent months, was convinced until about a week before his death that he was going to beat cancer and would be able to gain the weight back for a Black Panther sequel that was scheduled to go into production in March.

This fucking gets me. Dude did not think what was going to happen would actually happen until the very end.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I'm not sure if I'm being insensitive, but with how PoC are treated around the world, a positive film about how to deal and grow from the loss of a charismatic and visible spokesperson/loved one could work very well (... sadly...) . At least with the right director and writer. I'm not sure Disney is ready for this level of politics in their kids movies though...

Anyway, T'challa should be retired out if respect for Boseman, period. Nevertheless, I think it would be disrespectful to his legacy too if they just axe the whole BP Series and the positive perspective it has brought to Representation in Hollywood.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
This is just not realistic at all. I loved Boseman's work and was very sad about his passing, but this will be a slap in the face to all the black children that resonated with the character.

I think folks are missing this completely. BP means of lot to the Black community.

Why do people think that even Chadwick, knowing his short time on earth, would want this? Given his generosity in spirit and humility, he'd want the franchise to continue.
Of course he wouldn't want it. He wouldn't even accept sympathy for a life threatening illness or use it as an excuse to miss media day or a Make-a-Wish meeting. I think that is more of a reason why he is irreplaceable.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
As much as I want to see Michael B. Jordan back, that would need to be one hell of a well-written redemption arc.

Widow did some monstrous stuff but it was all off screen. We saw how evil Killmonger was. He was a brutal murderer.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
Lol, Killmonger was too monstrous a villain for them ever to bring him back as BP putting aside the issue of his death. It's either Shuri, M'Baku, or N'goya.

I think what makes a Killmonger resurrection/redemption possible is merely the fact that, from a studio's perspective; Jordan is the biggest movie-star from the rest of the cast; both in terms of proven bankability and on-screen energy, with the next closest being Lupita. Duke and Wright are both successful character actors.

That said, the Black Panther brand is strong enough that you could probably put anyone in the suit and people would show up; and hopefully Disney recognizes this.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Lupita as Black Panther is probably the easiest? Or Letitia Wright of course but the character seems to fit the tech role better.

I think simply recasting would be hard.

Shuri isnt quite the same Shuri from the comics, and she's a lot younger, but they could take Letitia Wright in that direction if they want to. She has the acting chops for sure.

But due to Shuri's age I think a temporary period with Shuri as queen and Okoye as her Black Panther would be cool.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if she can carry a movie, though. Boseman was a very skilled actor. I think people underestimate that. Letiticia is still very young and learning.

Chadwick Boseman had not done much when it came to any major roles prior to 42, which is easily what propelled him through hollywood. Letitia Wright is on a similar trajectory, clearly her role of Shuri elevated her, but it's no Jackie Robinson. You can't shut the door on her talents until she's given an opportunity to carry a film on her own.

Anyways, It's silly that these articles keep getting made. I get how important Black Panther is to the MCU, but these articles are just nothing more than clickbaits. It's a disrespectful discussion to have so soon after Boseman's death.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I'm absolutely shocked that Feige didnt even know.

My assumption was that he had to have known and moved forward with the movie anyway, but would they have "killed" T'Challa twice on screen knowing what Chadwick was going through and that they might lose him?

I imagine BP, IF, and Endgame would have been altered had they known.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's comics. Means nothing lol.

Yeah, but these are the films and while audiences are primed for redemptions, full taking of the hero mantle is a different story. Like, Loki doesn't get to be the new Thor. And much of Loki's bad actions occur offscreen or were the result of being Thanos' pawn.

Killmonger was shown killing innocent people.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this is my fear of thrusting the role onto any of the actors who were in the first film. Letitia, Winston, Michael, all of them have a way closer connection to Chadwick than we do. And asking them to take the weight off of his shoulders...

I can't even imagine.
On the flip side giving it to someone who was never seen before and going "Here this person is the new Black Panther" would not feel right either.
I think if those actors see it as continuing his legacy, then that'd be alright.

This is why M'baku seems like the best fit because thematically he could come in as the guy who unites the tribes and continues the legacy of T'challa, as it was T'challa that changed his mind. And Winston himself continuing Boseman's legacy outside of the film.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really surprised that not even Feige knew about it.

I think they should give T'Challa a fitting in-universe goodbye to honor Chadwick Boseman and what he stood for, but retiring Black Panther altogether would be the worst thing they could do, and at the same time spit on Boseman's legacy and the importance he saw in this franchise for the black community. Let another character assume the role of Black Panther, it really doesn't matter if it's faithful to the comics, the MCU diverted from the source material already as it is, it's its own universe by now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's obviously going to be recast. They probably have MCU Lore Bible already setup with him BP playing prominent roles--I mean BP is a rock star of a character. You don't retire that character.

They're gonna have in movie mourning scene, get blessing from the family, and move on. That's my prediction.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Shuri shouldn't take it just yet. Give the mantle to someone else for a time. I like the idea of keeping Kilmonger on ice and bringing him back to take the mantle when shuri is ready.
idk, I feel Killmonger is on the opposite side of T'challa, till the end, so I'm not sure he'll be good fit as Black Panther. As great of an actor Michael B. Jordan is.

The idea of a whole movie with Shuri or M'Baku taking over the BP mantle at the end sounds good to me too.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I think an ensemble film starring the supporting cast (Shuri, Okoye, Nakia, M'Baku, W'kabi, his mom, et al.) processing the untimely death of T'Challa and working together to overcome some kind of obstacle is the most respectful way to move forward. It might even be best to go the entire movie without any one character taking up the role of Black Panther.

I largely agree with this. I do think you could potentially have one of them take up the character of BP within the film, but I'd like to see them rely on the star-studded cast of black talent they have.

I think pretty much any of them could carry a film, and together they make for an extremely compelling ensemble cast of powerful characters.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, you cant recast T'challa, you can only have someone else take over as the Black Panther. Which is also what Black Panther 2 should be about.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
They can't toss their main black superhero to the side. You need to find a good option to take him, meaning finding an actor that can do the role justice and discuss with the Boseman family. Like take Boyega, see if Boseman's family would approve and make a second movie in his honor.

Yep, either this or the Shuri option. I think John David Washington would work too.