• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
what exactly is the track? We really need a mod/threadmarks post on what is allowed to be posted in this thread and what is not. From the banned trail, it seems anyone who doesn't acknowledge the special contains transphobia will be banned. Is the only point of this thread to talk about how Dave Chappelle is wrong?
If you want to say you loved every bit of the special, I'd say go to the thread for the special. This one is about how people are finding portions of the special to be incredibly offensive, so coming into this thread and proclaiming that you loved every second of it would be trolling.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison, antagonising other users, trolling over multiple posts in this thread
Maybe the track is to discuss the content of the show beyond dropping a single line about how you liked a thing that has aspects that is upsetting historically marginalized people.

It's not fucking rocket science.
I was hoping we could actually discuss how fucking hilarious the birdshot-buckshot-birdshot-buckshot-buckshot-buckshot bit was without having users try to derail the thread and make themselves the topic instead of the topic stated in the title.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I was hoping we could actually discuss how fucking hilarious the birdshot-buckshot-birdshot-buckshot-buckshot-buckshot bit was without having users try to derail the thread and make themselves the topic instead of the topic stated in the title.
That would be the other thread. And yes, that bit was great. Pretty much everything from the 30 minute mark on was great.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand why you would hope to discuss/post something instead of just making your post that pertains to the topic and discussing it.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be the other thread. And yes, that bit was great. Pretty much everything from the 30 minute mark on was great.

Oh, so this thread is just about the Lexy Perez article?

Then there's not much to discuss.

Cancel culture is fucking weird.
Micheal Jackson was fucking weird.
Macaulay Culkin is pretty fucking weird
R. Kelly is the really really wrong kind of fucking weird.

and Kevin Hart got weirdly fucked over with the whole Oscar host thing (and having it be a dream to host the Oscars is fucking weird).

weird shit makes perfect sense to do a comedy bit about.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Raping, grooming and abusing children is something others would consider a "really, really wrong kind of fucking weird" as well.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
what exactly is the track? We really need a mod/threadmarks post on what is allowed to be posted in this thread and what is not. From the banned trail, it seems anyone who doesn't acknowledge the special contains transphobia will be banned. Is the only point of this thread to talk about how Dave Chappelle is wrong?
The track is maybe.. to not just post shitty drivebys of "oh yeah, loved this, he's still got it!!" and maybe acknowledge the issues being raised in the OP? You know.. when someone makes a thread about a particular subject, it's best to engage in that discussion, that's how forum discussions work.

If you wanna ignore the issues being raised here and not even attempt to engage in good faith, there's an entire OP dedicated to celebrating this trash.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm responding to an element in your post where you chose to have a sliding scale of 'weird'.

I don't care if he's dead, the people he abused and raped aren't.
And they should get whatever assistance is needed to help them through whatever traumas they endured.

MJ isn't going to hurt any more people now.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, throw whatever shade you want to at MJ, he doesn't care. Dudes dead.
And they should get whatever assistance is needed to help them through whatever traumas they endured.

This is such an incredibly dismissive and shitty take.. it's hard to comprehend these kinds of talking points. You know, just maybe, what MJ did is bigger than just MJ himself

Maybe

Last edited:

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
That's part of the problem, though. He demands that people challenge him and that he is allowed to challenge whatever limit he wants, but then he keeps making it clear that he's actually terrified of being challenged.

Which is the thing that is so frustrating with everyone in this thread who keeps coming in screaming about how no topic is off limits and how comedians should be free to do whatever they want because "the point of comedy is to push things" as if comedians are themselves immune from being challenged and pushed. Part of being a good comedian is actually growing with your audience. There's a reason the vast majority of comedians who really play up the whole PC/cancel culture shit are the ones who are either bitter at tanking their careers or are rich from selling out years ago and can afford to just coast for the rest of their lives.

Let's be clear: those hiding behind the argument that nothing is ever off-limits in comedy are either in agreement with the transgressive jokes, or they simply don't care about how they negatively impact already-marginalized groups.

That's why you get assholes dropping into threads like these just to proclaim how 'amazing' the special is in their view - it's a chance for them to express that trans people and sex abuse victims are funny and not worthy of respect, and it's mostly free of consequences.

Of course, we see right through them. Which, to minds that enjoy transphobic 'jokes', is probably half the appeal for them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

I don't understand why that means we should be less critical of him just because he's dead now. Which is how your posts read, with a slight sprinkle of condescension.

I'm also confused as to this:
You seem to want to discuss the topic of the title (the article and backlash to the show), but then:
Oh, so this thread is just about the Lexy Perez article?
..before to looking to soften MJ and then say that he's dead when it's picked up on..
Yeah, throw whatever shade you want to at MJ, he doesn't care. Dudes dead.
What actually was it you wanted to discuss that was in the title of the thread?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The absurd humor of the joke was that Michael Jackson is obviously innocent because Macauly Culkin was never molested, and if you're a pedophile you obviously have to molest him.

The problem is that the joke becomes considerably less funny because Dave has already told you he doesn't believe the accusers. So the absurdity loses its edge to reality. I think if he just takes out "I don't believe these motherfuckers" the bit improves by a large margin. I'm not talking about censorship but rather keeping the words in line with the theme of the joke.

Same thing with

Obviously meant to be absurdist humor that falls apart because he told us seriously that he doesn't believe the kids anyways, but doesn't provide any serious explanations, only absurd ones that undermine his stance. Which makes sense and is funny if he's protesting himself as a douchebag... But he's not.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I took "I don't believe the motherfuckers" to also be a part of the absurdity. And thats why it was funny to me. Once he said " I'm a victim blamer" it was clear to me that the joke as going to be how absurdly dismissive of reality someone would have to be NOT think Michael did the shit. He's providing a clearly bad take, then supporting it with undeniably bad logic. Just like his Jury Selection skit - its sarcastic and satirical. I can't understand why anyone would take these words at face value

Though I disagree with some of the takeaways here about his LGBTQ jokes, I do think they were bad and mean spirited and . I don't think even marginalized people are off limits, but Dave didn't really have any Irony to tackle say so he settled on tropes and being offensive for the shake of being shocking. The LGBTQ car ride joke started off great but went off the rails by the end..

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong, but I took "I don't believe the motherfuckers" to also be a part of the absurdity. And thats why it was funny to me. Once he said " I'm a victim blamer" it was clear to me that the joke as going to be how absurdly dismissive of reality someone would have to be NOT think Michael did the shit. Just like his Jury Selection skit - its sarcastic and satirical. I can't understand why anyone would take these words at face value

Though I disagree with some of the takeaways here about his LGBTQ jokes, I do think they were bad and mean spirited and . I don't think even marginalized people are off limits, but Dave didn't really have any Irony to tackle say so he settled on tropes and being offensive for the shake of being shocking. The LGBTQ car ride joke started off great but went off the rails by the end..

I mean, that's kind of the thing. If you don't have any grand insight on a topic, you could always just...not make jokes about it. Dave didn't have to make jokes about the LGBTQ community - he chose to.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is such an incredibly dismissive and shitty take.. it's hard to comprehend these kinds of talking points. You know, just maybe, what MJ did is bigger than just MJ himself

Maybe

Shitty take that victims of traumas should seek help? Seriously, take a step back.

I don't understand why that means we should be less critical of him just because he's dead now. Which is how your posts read, with a slight sprinkle of condescension.

I'm also confused as to this:

You seem to want to discuss the topic of the title (the article and backlash to the show), but then:

..before to looking to soften MJ and then repeat that he's dead..

What is it you actually wanted to discuss that was in the title of the thread?

I'm not going to play your purity test game of whether or not I despise MJs acts as much as I despise R. Kellys, both as acts were heinous.

and I addressed the thread specifically the points of Perez article.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm not going to play your purity test game of whether or not I despise MJs acts as much as I despise R. Kellys, both as acts were heinous.
You're literally the one that put them on a sliding scale instead of equivalent.

There's no purity test, just questioning what you're actually trying to discuss in the thread that you couldn't before when people were 'making it about them'.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to play your purity test game of whether or not I despise MJs acts as much as I despise R. Kellys

You invited that by posting the way you did.

This is bad.
This is very very very bad.

Clearly you did that on purpose in order to get a reaction. Which is whatever, you do you, but don't sit back and try to gaslight.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Shitty take that victims of traumas should seek help?

and I addressed the thread specifically the points of Perez article.
I'll play along with your bad faith argument, sure. Shitty take that your conclusion of the MJ stuff is "the man is dead", like that fucking means anything other than the obvious reality that he can no longer be prosecuted.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Or you simply read too much into it.
Just reading it as you wrote it, as a sliding scale:
Again though, what are you actually trying to discuss in the thread regarding the title that you couldn't before when people were 'making it about them'?

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's kind of the thing. If you don't have any grand insight on a topic, you could always just...not make jokes about it. Dave didn't have to make jokes about the LGBTQ community - he chose to.

The insight doesn't need to be grand - but it needs to have some sort of ironic twist. And yeah, if you don't have that, then put an actual joke in there. If that means changing the subject matter than so be it.

I don't think being LGBTQ should mean you shouldn't be the topic of a joke, like some are suggesting. But I do think that bit was just harmful rather than humorous.

Other than that, I think the show was great.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The insight doesn't need to be grand - but it needs to have some sort of ironic twist. And yeah, if you don't have that, then put an actual joke in there. If that means changing the subject matter than so be it.

I don't think being LGBTQ should mean you shouldn't be the topic of a joke, like some are suggesting. But I do think that bit was just harmful rather than humorous.

Other than that, I think the show was great.
It depends on the context of the joke. Are LGBTQ people the butt of it? If so, it's never acceptable. And for other marginalized groups. Punching down is always shit.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the context of the joke. Are LGBTQ people the butt of it? If so, it's never acceptable. And for other marginalized groups. Punching down is always shit.

Yeah, I disagree- if you are simply laughing at someone for existing, then yeah that's shit. But If a comic can find irony in a scenario, and find humor in it, then i think it fair game.

He made fun of drug addicts - I think it's fair to say that they are a marginalized and stigmatized group. But it was all a setup to draw attention to the ironic shift in national sentiment regarding how to combat the drug problem - from a black crime issue to a white health issue. That's how its supposed to be done. He started off this way with the LGBT car ride joke, but couldn't make it to the end. He didn't do that at all with his Trans jokes.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
He also had that bit in a previous special where he asked 'why should I have to play along with your pronoun game?' I read it as 'you want to wear a dress, fine, but I don't have to validate your fantasies.'

But just a joke.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only good thing about threads like this is finding out what some of y'all really think about people like me.

Good to know who among us is a huge piece of shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you guys are reaching really hard to insinuate Dave's commentary was some ultra-subtle meta-comedy, when it's clear as day he's simply voicing his shitty opinions.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
the good thing is that this makes a lot of people show their asses publicly

when fucking breitbart is siding with your political position, maybe revise and listen?

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
If trump had presented his racist opinions during a stand up set it sounds like he would have gained a ton more fans around here.
"Relax, he just says mexicans are rapists to shock you. He is just pushing bondaries!"

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, I disagree- if you are simply laughing at someone for existing, then yeah that's shit. But If a comic can find irony in a scenario, and find humor in it, then i think it fair game.

He made fun of drug addicts - I think it's fair to say that they are a marginalized and stigmatized group. But it was all a setup to draw attention to the ironic shift in national sentiment regarding how to combat the drug problem - from a black crime issue to a white health issue. That's how its supposed to be done. He started off this way with the LGBT car ride joke, but couldn't make it to the end. He didn't do that at all with his Trans jokes.
The former (punching down) isn't justified by the latter (combating the drug problem); there are many ways to get there withing doing this. It's a poor excuse.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
If trump had presented his racist opinions during a stand up set it sounds like he would have gained a ton more fans around here.
"Relax, he just says mexicans are rapists to shock you. He is just pushing bondaries!"

LOL

I want to visit an alternate dimension where Trump bombs his career by attempting standup comedy instead of entering politics. If someone made a thread about a Hollywood Reporter story on the crazy washed up Apprentice host making an offensive comedy special, it would have 8 replies and fade away forever.

If someone here defended his "Mexican rapist" bit as satire, everyone would simply point to his real life racial atrocities.

Last edited:

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
If someone here defended his "Mexican rapist" bit as satire, everyone would simply point to his real life racial atrocities.

Many have pointed out that Chappelle's transphobic jokes aren't satire due to his previous comments. Like saying the word tr**ny, his comments about Caitlyn Jenner, saying that transpeople would be a good secret weapon in war because of how "terrifying they are, and "jokes" about transwomen tricking men into sex and how he would kill one if it happened to him.

That's why the "it's just a joke" excuse doesn't fly. He believes these things and is using his job as a smokescreen.

If a white guy came out and started dropping the n-word and talking about how lazy and stupid they are, and how he would kill someone if his daughter brought a black guy home, we wouldn't defend him, we wouldn't say "well those parts were bad, but the rest was lolrofl." That person would be done. At least I would hope so.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
DISCLAIMER: POSSIBLE SENSITIVE CONTENT.

There's a strange paradox when it comes to comedy. Creating comedy material doesn't necessarily reflect one's view of oneself, but just an oddball take on humor. When people start putting limitations on what the general public thinks is funny vs what the general public thinks isn't, then it really isn't comedy is it? You're now being controlled by the masses to deliver content that agrees with the general consensus. I'm absolutely not agreeing with Dave in any capacity here on the perspective his jokes (not him) display, but the second you start limiting comedy, it's not really comedy anymore. The paradox is that there's a form of entertainment that requires creative thinking and freedom of speech, but you're now limiting the creative thinking process so it's not really a true form of it.

An example of this is a dead baby joke. How many babies does it take to paint a house? Depends on how hard you throw them.
Some people find that funny, and that's okay, because it's a near-impossible situation that makes light of a horrific sequence. Is killing babies okay? Absolutely not. However, is making fun of a situation that doesn't exist okay?

Like Dave is a comic that comes from an era where comedy didn't have limits and nearly anything and everything was fair game to be made fun of, mocked, and wasn't immune to being joked about. Sure he hasn't aged with the times, but the issue at hand is that at what point is comedy even comedy anymore and rather another controlled form of media? At some point, someone is going to get offended by something somewhere somehow.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't taboo topics that absolutely should never be touched upon. Here's where that paradox comes in and it's literally cherry-picking. Things like transphobia, the LGBTQ movement, and other prominent social issues that are actively fighting for recognition have to be taken in some regard. It's like kicking someone when they're down. Making fun of these groups or folk is socially considered bad taste however, is it funny? Sure, maybe. Is it okay to make fun of it? Sure, it's comedy, nothing should be off limits. Should you make fun of it? Probably not.

Everyone wants to hear a funny joke unless it's about them or something/someone they care about. Then it's not funny anymore and it turns into harassment/oppression.

Dave has the balls to talk about his perspective, and there are quite a few things he says that I simply don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be off limits for him to make fun of. A comic should be able to make fun of whatever however whenever. Whether or not people find what they have to say funny is a whole different situation.
Well said...in the end though, it's why I prefer comedians to do Jerry Seinfeld style or Sebastian. Yeah sometimes you have to touch sensitive material, but when you're vulgar and foul mouthed all the time, I think It just decreases your sensitivity and ability to be pleasant and an overall humble person. I used to talk anyway I wanted and my mindset was always focused inward, like it's ok to speak in a way to not hurt others feelings lol, doesn't make you weak. Chappelle is pretty funny sometimes, but it just seems really easy to not offend to the level that he is offending today, like damn brah, it's ok to be nice.

Also as the Jenner joke, like the whole bit just felt uncomfortable, I'm like 'dude move on.' I don't get the dumbing down on the topic at all.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damon Young at Very Smart Brothas weighs in on the special (and reinforces some of the thoughts I've been putting forward in the thread).

All the Worst White People Love Dave Chappelle's Sticks and Stones

Sticks and Stones is mostly an hour of Chappelle trolling trans people, rape victims, gay people, and other hyper-vulnerable communities while defending famous millionaires. And something happened while watching it that has never happened to me while watching Dave Chappelle. I got up and did things around the house while it was still on. Not because of some deep offense, but because I was just bored with it. Defending the words and rights of powerful people is perhaps the most mundane and least transgressive thing an artist can do, and last night was trash pickup night, so I multitasked so I could get to bed at a decent hour.

That said, there are also many who consider this to be one of his best performances. And among that group are trolls, professional bigots, white supremacists, Nazi sympathizers and more of the very worst white people; an adoration due to the parallels between their sensibilities and his.

In the article, Young links to the Breitbart coverage but also includes even more alt-right celebration of Chappelle by Jack Posobiec and The Federalist as well as creepers like Brett Easton Ellis.

More at the link: https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.co...people-love-dave-chappelles-sticks-1837747273

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think MJ is 100% innocent but you don't help make the case when you go into "he may have done it but it was MICHAEL JACKSON!" material. Mind you, South Park did that joke over a decade ago and Bill Maher had a version of it too - not much of a fresh concept.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I think MJ is 100% innocent but you don't help make the case when you go into "he may have done it but it was MICHAEL JACKSON!" material. Mind you, South Park did that joke over a decade ago and Bill Maher had a version of it too - not much of a fresh concept.
Did you really have to tell us that first part?

Mar 18, 2019
I find it somewhat disturbing how no one is talking about the rampant pedophilia among white rockstars...

White rockstars like David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, Led Zeppelin, etc. have all been accused of raping children, or "baby groupies" as they called them. Yet there is almost no outrage against white rockstars, and their legacies are still being protected.

I feel that there is an element of racism there. While black musicians like MJ and RK should be called out, at least be consistent and call out the white rockstars who have been accused of pedophilia.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it somewhat disturbing how no one is talking about the rampant pedophilia among white rockstars...

White rockstars like David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, Led Zeppelin, etc. have all been accused of raping children, or "baby groupies" as they called them. Yet there is almost no outrage against white rockstars, and their legacies are still being protected.

I feel that there is an element of racism there. While black musicians like MJ and RK should be called out, at least be consistent and call out the white rockstars who have been accused of pedophilia.
Hmm, maybe if a comedian had a Netflix special where they defended a white rock star for sexual assault of minors then you'd see it discussed here. Otherwise, why not make a thread about these particular concerns?

Mar 18, 2019
Hmm, maybe if a comedian had a Netflix special where they defended a white rock star for sexual assault of minors then you'd see it discussed here. Otherwise, why not make a thread about these particular concerns?
I meant the board in general, and social media more generally. Allegations against white rockstars have not gone viral the way it has for black musicians. That's what I find bizarre.

But sure, maybe this isn't the right thread for this topic.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That is a balloon the size of the moon filled with shit just waiting to burst any day now. Every body gonna learn one way or another not have heroes, at least not wealthy and powerful ones.

Feed it all slowly into the grinder.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw the crowd who was there and laughing. Bunch of minorities and whites and women and men. Same kind of people who watched the show and found it funny.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He also had that bit in a previous special where he asked 'why should I have to play along with your pronoun game?' I read it as 'you want to wear a dress, fine, but I don't have to validate your fantasies.'

But just a joke.

His whole bullshit is trans women aren't women and trans men aren't men but let the weirdos live.

Which somehow people pretend isn't a form of hate lol

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

Yup.

There is allegedly rampant pedophilia in hollywood with underage boys as well.

Extremely fishy stuff there that kinda seems like an open secret.

Apparently Leo DiCaprio's own agents and other people he associated with when he was a child star were outright found guilty of various child sex crimes.

This is a fucked up dark world.

Mar 18, 2019
Yup.

Apparently Leo DiCaprio's own agents and other people he associated with when he was a child star were outright found guilty of various child sex crimes.

I think we've barely scratched the surface, to be honest. I get the feel that child abuse may have been widespread in media industries up until recent decades. For example, the whole Jimmy Saville thing in the UK exposed that the BBC played a role in covering for Saville, which suggests that the BBC could've also covered for other celebrities. And then there's stories of rockstars abusing "baby groupies" and of course Hollywood stars abusing children.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-by trolling in a sensitive thread.
Well I liked it a lot. Dave Chapelle being Dave Chapelle

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yup.
I think we've barely scratched the surface, to be honest. I get the feel that child abuse may have been widespread in media industries up until recent decades. For example, the whole Jimmy Saville thing in the UK exposed that the BBC played a role in covering for Saville, which suggests that the BBC could've also covered for other celebrities. And then there's stories of rockstars abusing "baby groupies" and of course Hollywood stars abusing children.
If you think an allegation or case isn't being discussed here then make that discussion. I don't think we need vague whataboutisms when it comes to child abuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.