• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
The Donald is loving this special. Good thing Dave's a leftist who doesn't hurt any communities and only tells jokes. It would suck if he used his platform to further encourage the worst of society.

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling, inflammatory false equivalence
The Donald is loving this special. Good thing Dave's a leftist who doesn't hurt any communities and only tells jokes. It would suck if he used his platform to further encourage the worst of society.
The alt right also love video games and anime. Should we cancel those as well?

Oct 27, 2017
The more things are talked about period the more they become better in time. I mean in the 80;s eddie murphy was in the same situation with some of his comedy. But we didn't have social media or boards like these to discuss, dissect be angry, show them how wrong, and misinformed they are, and how hurtful it was.

Yeah Eddie really moved the conversation forward

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yeah Eddie really moved the conversation forward

I think i followed that post up that he was then corrected, and after a while his stand up changed a little and even the type of comedy he did changed later in his career.

Although I believe if he does get that deal with Netflix you might see him do his Cosby bit from the twain awards. Which even though horrible was funny as hell.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I would argue it has resurfaced because of leadership in our country have almost promoted that kind of atmosphere. And those small few now have social media to make them bigger.

You are totally right. But Dave chappelle has always been like this in terms of the outrageous things he talks about. Not all of it good. Like he is like most here have put it out of his element in terms of how he approached the material.

BTW, why are you attacking me? I'm being as open as I can and your literally calling me Genius and condescending shit? I was open that I'm ignorant to a lot of the trans community because I'm not around it a lot where I live, and that I don't have many friends who are trans. I have a lot gay friends, but not many who are trans.

I'm being open and honest, and literally trying to give the point of view of someone who is very non-informed and ignorant. it does not make me a bigot or a racist. I have not mocked anyone, made fun of anyone.

I literally am trying to have a conversation about Dave's material and try my best to understand everything. If I'm 100% wrong then im wrong and thank you to those who have been understanding in this knowing how ignorant and misinformed I might be.

Hey, here's a thought: instead of telling the community you're ignorant about why we're wrong, maybe instead just shut the fuck up and listen.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
All this drama about comedians and their offensive jokes gives me a greater appreciation for Mitch Hedberg.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I would argue it has resurfaced because of leadership in our country have almost promoted that kind of atmosphere. And those small few now have social media to make them bigger.

Trump promoting bigotry through his platform = influences people

Dave promoting transphobia through his platform = doesn't influence people

Uh huh alright that checks out.

You know what the difference is between someone in the trans community telling self deprecating trans jokes at the expense of themselves, versus someone who isn't in the community making trans jokes at the expense of others? The intent. Dave understand this well, he made his entire career on it. He told jokes about the mistreatment of black people not to imply it was deserved, but as an means of endearing himself to his mostly black audience because the edge of the joke always made it clear he was speaking out as "this is wrong". And he himself being black made that point clear. The intent behind his words were always clear to those who had experienced or witnessed the things he joked about.

What eventually happened is his jokes ran such a fine line between "endearing" to black people (and definitely not all black people mind you) and "haha N word" for white people that he saw what it was doing and he started to realize the unintended effect his comedy might be having.

These trans jokes don't have that same edge, they don't have that same intent behind them, because time and again Dave has shown he's not actually speaking from a place of endearment. He is definitely speaking from a place of ignorance, but rather than opening up to understanding it better, or aiming his jokes in a way that clearly identified himself as the "bad guy" in order to try and make the point that these are bad (the technique that Louis CK was known for, although look how that turned out) he's looking for reasons and excuses to not change. His story of the trans person in the epilogue, essentially a long winded way to say "my trans friend here says it's OK", helps make that clear.

Where did I say your were wrong? I believe people have a right and should be angry. And you are informing people such as myself, thats the point of having a discussion.

But I get the drift. I'm out.

You entered this thread literally to tell people that nothing in comedy is off limits. You were directly insinuating the people that are angry are in the wrong. What a weak ass move to bail when people actually voice their disagreement with you. What happened to "We're here to have a discussion".

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like prominent people saying terrible things about marginalized communities helps to normalize those terrible things and encourage awful people to say/do awful things regarding marginalized communities.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
I think Dave feels that he's the only one capable of going after PC culture without getting nuked. There's a rather large history with comedians commenting on how "it's not like it used to be".

It'll be interesting to see where this going because Sticks and Stones was obviously targeted and very direct. Usually his skits are societal bending if that's a way to put it. Maybe tackling society issues in a non direct way.

Sticks and stones was about as in your face and direct as it can get. It was purposely done for a reason. The only thing I can think of is what I said earlier. Comedians (including Burr) have been talking about this for awhile now.

They don't want to change their jokes around for someone else's feelings which is pretty much what Burr said on Rogans show.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Trump promoting bigotry through his platform = influences people

Dave promoting transphobia through his platform = doesn't influence people

Uh huh alright that checks out.

You know what the difference is between someone in the trans community telling self deprecating trans jokes at the expense of themselves, versus someone who isn't in the community making trans jokes at the expense of others? The intent. Dave understand this well, he made his entire career on it. He told jokes about the mistreatment of black people not to imply it was deserved, but as an means of endearing himself to his mostly black audience because the edge of the joke always made it clear he was speaking out as "this is wrong". And he himself being black made that point clear. The intent behind his words were always clear to those who had experienced or witnessed the things he joked about.

What eventually happened is his jokes ran such a fine line between "endearing" to black people (and definitely not all black people mind you) and "haha N word" for white people that he saw what it was doing and he started to realize the unintended effect his comedy might be having.

These trans jokes don't have that same edge, they don't have that same intent behind them, because time and again Dave has shown he's not actually speaking from a place of endearment. He is definitely speaking from a place of ignorance, but rather than opening up to understanding it better, or aiming his jokes in a way that clearly identified himself as the "bad guy" in order to try and make the point that these are bad (the technique that Louis CK was known for, although look how that turned out) he's looking for reasons and excuses to not change. His story of the trans person in the epilogue, essentially a long winded way to say "my trans friend here says it's OK", helps make that clear.

You entered this thread literally to tell people that nothing in comedy is off limits. You were directly insinuating the people that are angry are in the wrong. What a weak ass move to bail when people actually voice their disagreement with you. What happened to "We're here to have a discussion".

I'm not saying things like " Shut the fuck up" or mocking people by comparing them to"genius", or Xavier's school for what ever". Never said I was perfect, I saw there were a couple of people who brought up some of the things about comedy, and the taboo things. It is no where my intent to anger anyone. It seems that the discussion is more about that people who feel offended by Dave's material are giving reasons why the way he went about it should have been about the Bigotry correct?

And I think me being straight and not super informed on Trans I guess didn't see it that way in how he presented the material. But now looking back I get why people would be angry in how he mocked trans in more of a harmful way than when someone who is gay lets say or tans tells a joke at their own expense.

I understand now. It's just some of the heated exchanges people were sending me caught me off guard and I wasn't reading some of the responses.

That's my bad, I apologize.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think Dave feels that he's the only one capable of going after PC culture without getting nuked. There's a rather large history with comedians commenting on how "it's not like it used to be".

It'll be interesting to see where this going because Sticks and Stones was obviously targeted and very direct. Usually his skits are societal bending if that's a way to put it. Maybe tackling society issues in a non direct way.

Sticks and stones was about as in your face and direct as it can get. It was purposely done for a reason. The only thing I can think of is what I said earlier. Comedians (including Burr) have been talking about this for awhile now.

They don't want to change their jokes around for someone else's feelings which is pretty much what Burr said on Rogans show.
Yes comedians have been full of shit for a while now

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The shitty thing about that mindset is that comedy wasn't "what it used to be" when they were young and upcoming comics. The field had already changed its standards and made some things relatively off limits because society was already becoming sensitive in a good way to the fact that there are limits. Obviously what those limits are or were are on a case by case basis, but they are absolutely there.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Oh bullshit he has balls. Any coward can make millions shitting on trans people while getting cheered on by a sold out crowd, while playing the victim.

He's not brave. Please.

In "cancel culture" you're not allowed to express forms of comedy that reach into the taboo zones of society. Comedy thrives when there are no limits to humor. It's not the trans jokes that make him "brave" it's him bringing up a very valid problem in the comedy scene that involves the new hyper-sensitive social culture we've adopted.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In "cancel culture" you're not allowed to express forms of comedy that reach into the taboo zones of society. Comedy thrives when there are no limits to humor. It's not the trans jokes that make him "brave" it's him bringing up a very valid problem in the comedy scene that involves the new hyper-sensitive social culture we've adopted.

You know who is too sensitive? Comedians

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
We need a Chappelle/MJ Defense Bingo Card at this point, I can't keep track of all these shitty takes and excuses for bigoted content.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Again

Dave Chappelle himself acknowledged that there were limits when he hit one hard enough that he quit his own show.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
"Claiming"? The dude is being championed as a hero for this special by leading alt-right media outlets. I provided links if you care to go have a look. Nothing bad faith about it.
It's a stupid argument. The right will champion anything that suits them and then move on to the next thing. Dave is not an icon of the alt right. Most of his act proved that.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I watched about half this routine then bailed. Not only was it too "in your face" for me, it was also just straight up unfunny. It felt like Dave wrote a list of things that annoyed him and just vaguely drapped the jokes around it. It was as if making the routine funny was an after thought.

He started heading this way with his last special but this one just went full "I'm gonna say things I know to be offensive to get a reaction".

Nov 1, 2017
You know who is too sensitive? Comedians
This is correct.

If they want to keep telling their hateful jokes, then they should deal with consequences of doing so. Same for the people that don't want to give up laughing at it.

I can't figure out how I'm supposed to view the person saying stop perpetuating things that harm people like me/me as the more sensitive one when the other side is implying well I was on your side but if you're going to be mean about me laughing about your plight I might stop supporting your fight for equality as much. But I assure you that I care and am an ally.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a stupid argument. The right will champion anything that suits them and then move on to the next thing. Dave is not an icon of the alt right. Most of his act proved that.
It's not. When right wing media coalesce around a particular figure and lauds them for punching down, it's worth noting. I just checked, Breitbart has multiple concurrent pieces on their new icon, including this one.

"Dave Chappelle just might save America" but nothing to see here, right?

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
People laugh at these jokes because they know they couldn't say them, but Dave can! So he makes fun of trans people, you laugh because you agree with what he said and found it funny. You know what he is saying is wrong, but because you agree, it provides humor.

Disgust is the only appropriate response to those jokes.

Gay and trans people are not off limits to comedy. And there are very funny gay jokes that aren't attacking a group. Bo Burnham has some funny stuff in that regard.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
It's not. When right wing media coalesce around a particular figure and lauds them for punching down, it's worth noting. I just checked, Breitbart has multiple concurrent pieces on their new icon, including this one.

"Dave Chappelle just might save America" but nothing to see here, right?
Trump is an icon. Dave is a convenient rube. An alt right icon doesn't profess that we should arm blacks in order to take guns from whites.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
People laugh at these jokes because they know they couldn't say them, but Dave can! So he makes fun of trans people, you laugh because you agree with what he said and found it funny. You know what he is saying is wrong, but because you agree, it provides humor.
This really displays a fundamental misunderstanding of how humour works.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
TFW people pay tickets to see and cheer for a person to stand on a stage and yell the same shit some random guy who'll punch the shit out of you would.

Honestly even the good stuff like the comments on the opioid epidemic isn't that different from what you see on Twitter since the last election cycle at least. And that website is notoriously free

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The special was like he was intentionally ticking the boxes on a checklist of things he couldn't get away with saying in 2019. At times it felt like he was directly challenging the crowd to turn against him.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I dunno.

the "He made Thriller" sketch was actually the bit where he "defended" MJ and R.Kelly during the jury selection process.

Prosecutors would mention damaging evidence against the MJ and he would respond with an obviously outrageous explanation for how that evidence could exist without a crime.

For R.Kelly, he argued for a comically insane high burden of proof that would make his innocence non-falsifiable, And dismissed the already clearcut proof that was readily available.

His character was making the same outrageous types of arguments then, as he's making in the special now, but since it was a sketch people immediately recognize that the arguments aren't meant to be taken seriously and that the target of the joke is the nonsensical reasoning required to defend a child rapist. For whatever reason, people are now taking the clearly intentionally flawed logic as his actual personal opinion.
Because if what he said now was meant to be a joke, it's not funny.

Foxhound

Banned
Jun 7, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Drive-by trolling in a sensitive thread, Prior severe ban for racism, Account in junior phase
Fantastic special, and probably my favorite Netflix special he's done so far. Netflix, please continue the Chapelle gravy train. Dave, please continue to challenge your audiences and be as thought provoking of a comedian as you are.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Gotta love folks rushing in here to completely disregard the concerns in the OP and proclaim their love for bigoted content being celebrated by the alt right

Status
Not open for further replies.