• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
DISCLAIMER: POSSIBLE SENSITIVE CONTENT.

There's a strange paradox when it comes to comedy. Creating comedy material doesn't necessarily reflect one's view of oneself, but just an oddball take on humor. When people start putting limitations on what the general public thinks is funny vs what the general public thinks isn't, then it really isn't comedy is it? You're now being controlled by the masses to deliver content that agrees with the general consensus. I'm absolutely not agreeing with Dave in any capacity here on the perspective his jokes (not him) display, but the second you start limiting comedy, it's not really comedy anymore. The paradox is that there's a form of entertainment that requires creative thinking and freedom of speech, but you're now limiting the creative thinking process so it's not really a true form of it.

An example of this is a dead baby joke. How many babies does it take to paint a house? Depends on how hard you throw them.
Some people find that funny, and that's okay, because it's a near-impossible situation that makes light of a horrific sequence. Is killing babies okay? Absolutely not. However, is making fun of a situation that doesn't exist okay?

Like Dave is a comic that comes from an era where comedy didn't have limits and nearly anything and everything was fair game to be made fun of, mocked, and wasn't immune to being joked about. Sure he hasn't aged with the times, but the issue at hand is that at what point is comedy even comedy anymore and rather another controlled form of media? At some point, someone is going to get offended by something somewhere somehow.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't taboo topics that absolutely should never be touched upon. Here's where that paradox comes in and it's literally cherry-picking. Things like transphobia, the LGBTQ movement, and other prominent social issues that are actively fighting for recognition have to be taken in some regard. It's like kicking someone when they're down. Making fun of these groups or folk is socially considered bad taste however, is it funny? Sure, maybe. Is it okay to make fun of it? Sure, it's comedy, nothing should be off limits. Should you make fun of it? Probably not.

Everyone wants to hear a funny joke unless it's about them or something/someone they care about. Then it's not funny anymore and it turns into harassment/oppression.

Dave has the balls to talk about his perspective, and there are quite a few things he says that I simply don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be off limits for him to make fun of. A comic should be able to make fun of whatever however whenever. Whether or not people find what they have to say funny is a whole different situation.

I agree with this take.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've latched on to one thing he said. That's hardly 'icon' status.

C'mon man, there's some mostly good faith debate going on in this thread. There's no need to be completely absurd.
There's nothing absurd about it. It's not a coincidence that alt right outlets have zeroed in on Chappelle's deplorable "humor" attacking LGBTQ people and sexual assault victims. He's leaning into it and it's landing well with the Tucker Carlsons of the world.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
There's nothing absurd about it. It's not a coincidence that alt right outlets have zeroed in on Chappelle's deplorable "humor" attacking LGBTQ people and sexual assault victims. He's leaning into it and it's landing well with the Tucker Carlsons of the world.
None of what you're saying makes him an icon of the alt right. An alt right icon wouldn't preach to black people that they need to buy lots of guns in order to scare white people into instituting gun control.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Man, how many of ya'll twisting yourselves into pretzels defending the guy would be doing the same for a white comedian doing the whole "whadda ya mean I can't say nigger?" stuff or talking about how "I didn't make it up, it's just true that black people look like monkeys, I'm just pointing out how funny that is!"

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Man, how many of ya'll twisting yourselves into pretzels defending the guy would be doing the same for a white comedian doing the whole "whadda ya mean I can't say nigger?" stuff or talking about how "I didn't make it up, it's just true that black people look like monkeys, I'm just pointing out how funny that is!"

This. We ( lgbt) still take a back seat for many people, the trans community especially has to deal with a disgusting amount of abuse. Even worse when that venom is coming from POC/minority groups that should fucking know better

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of what you're saying makes him an icon of the alt right. An alt right icon wouldn't preach to black people that they need to buy lots of guns in order to scare white people into instituting gun control.
Then take it up with Daily Caller, Breitbart and conservative rag Washington Examiner, all of whom are propping him up as some sort of "finally, someone to stick it to the homos" hero. They're the ones elevating him to that status with his new special.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-By Trolling in a Sensitive Thread
Still the GOAT comedian.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think Dave is aware he's becoming the guy laughing at his race jokes that made him quit the Chappele Show or does he just not care?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Watched half of it some days ago and it seemed he aimed to get cancelled as much people as possible.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I'm done with Dave, used to be his fan but this rhetoric has no place in today's society

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Are comedians just allowed to say anything and be immune from criticism because that's the impression I'm getting from about half the thread here.

Comedy is essentially a cult.

How else can rich millionaires go on giant platforms, stages, news sites and let everyone know they're being silenced (frequently the claim is being silenced by minorities too), and have so many agree

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
The amount of cries about evil ~political correctness~ sure remind me of other places. The shift in this forum is being pretty notable as LGBT.

None of what you're saying makes him an icon of the alt right.

Are the alt-right cheering him as their hero or not?

Yes or no?

Oh, they are? Breitbart's writing articles praising him? Then he's an icon of the alt-right. That's what an icon of a group literally is.

People sure twist themselves into corkscrews to avoid admitting that stoking hatred against vulnerabile minorities is maybe a problem with consequences.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
For all this hubbub about cancel culture, I can only think of four celebrities that have had their careers successfully finished because of social media pressure:

Al Franken
Roseanne Barr
Kevin Spacey
Milo

I encourage anyone else concerned about the horrors of "cancel culture" to contribute to this list.

Everyone else I can think of that was met with significant social media pressure suffered setbacks but still have a career. You can't exactly call those people cancelled.

You could make a case for Louis CK, but since he's a sexual predator with a long string of victims and confessed to his crimes, then we might as well include Cosby, Harvey Weinstein et al and that doesn't seem wholly appropriate. Also Louis is selling out venues and in effect still has a platform. His Netflix specials are AFAIK still available. He's very much rehabilitating his career.

Meanwhile he and countless comedians complain about how difficult it is to tell jokes yet many of those same comedians have sold out tours and Netflix specials. It's such a transparent racket that you'd either have to be a fool or willfully ignorant to fall for it.

That panic about cancel culture permeated the social consciousness when we have DONALD FUCKING TRUMP as President will never not be tragic and hilarious to me. It's just 90's "PC police" bullshit with a fresh coat of paint.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The vitriol with which he spits "FAGGOT" is pretty alarming.
That's what jumped out at me too.

Defending some black people's use of the N-word is often done within the context of reclaiming the word. The same goes for the F-word. Here he's not reclaiming anything, he's just moving the goal posts and getting a cheap laugh at a group of people he feels his audience will accept him punching down to.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations
The vitriol with which he spits "FAGGOT" is pretty alarming. Again, he's capable of really smart comedy. This was stupid.

I don't hear any vitriol at all. Just that he yells it loudly and abruptly, which is the opposite of what you would expect, which is what theoretically makes it funny.

There are some points here I really agree with. Its all fine and dandy to shit on and make fun of, in far more offensive terms than Chapelle did of say, Arabs and Muslims, and everyone here would love it and applaud it.

People love Larry David for constantly attacking Muslims, cheer him on. Including on Resetera. People loved Sasha Baron for making an extremely racist movie in Borat, which shits over an entire country for being backwards.

But make when you are made fun of, or something you care about, then its going too far. Just seems hypocritical to me.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't hear any vitriol at all. Just that he yells it loudly and abruptly, which is the opposite of what you would expect, which is what theoretically makes it funny.

There are some points here I really agree with. Its all fine and dandy to shit on and make fun of, in far more offensive terms than Chapelle did of say, Arabs and Muslims, and everyone here would love it and applaud it.

People love Larry David for constantly attacking Muslims, cheer him on. Including on Resetera. People loved Sasha Baron for making an extremely racist movie in Borat, which shits over an entire country for being backwards.

But make when you are made fun of, or something you care about, then its going too far. Just seems hypocritical to me.

Yea I'm gonna need receipts for this
FOH trying to minimize our disgust for some of the shit he said. At least the 4 posts above yours are 100 dead on with their commentary

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Yea I'm gonna need receipts for this
FOH trying to minimize our disgust for some of the shit he said. At least the 4 posts above yours are 100 dead on with their commentary

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't be disgusted or offended. Quite the opposite. The point is that it tends to be quite selective, and a little hypocritical. People are fine with comedians punching down as long as its not about them or something they care about.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I saw the special, Dave Chapelle makes jokes. The premise is almost always something stupid and offensive, and then the joke contradicts what he just said.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how you feel about it, pretty sure Chappelle's goal with the new special was to make fun of literally anyone and everyone possible. White, people of color, LGBTQ, wealthy, impoverished, perpetrators, victims, drug-addicted, straight, conservative, progressive, and - as much as anyone else - himself.

Nah...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

There's a strange paradox when it comes to comedy. Creating comedy material doesn't necessarily reflect one's view of oneself, but just an oddball take on humor. When people start putting limitations on what the general public thinks is funny vs what the general public thinks isn't, then it really isn't comedy is it? You're now being controlled by the masses to deliver content that agrees with the general consensus. I'm absolutely not agreeing with Dave in any capacity here on the perspective his jokes (not him) display, but the second you start limiting comedy, it's not really comedy anymore. The paradox is that there's a form of entertainment that requires creative thinking and freedom of speech, but you're now limiting the creative thinking process so it's not really a true form of it.

An example of this is a dead baby joke. How many babies does it take to paint a house? Depends on how hard you throw them.
Some people find that funny, and that's okay, because it's a near-impossible situation that makes light of a horrific sequence. Is killing babies okay? Absolutely not. However, is making fun of a situation that doesn't exist okay?

Like Dave is a comic that comes from an era where comedy didn't have limits and nearly anything and everything was fair game to be made fun of, mocked, and wasn't immune to being joked about. Sure he hasn't aged with the times, but the issue at hand is that at what point is comedy even comedy anymore and rather another controlled form of media? At some point, someone is going to get offended by something somewhere somehow.

Now I'm not saying that there aren't taboo topics that absolutely should never be touched upon. Here's where that paradox comes in and it's literally cherry-picking. Things like transphobia, the LGBTQ movement, and other prominent social issues that are actively fighting for recognition have to be taken in some regard. It's like kicking someone when they're down. Making fun of these groups or folk is socially considered bad taste however, is it funny? Sure, maybe. Is it okay to make fun of it? Sure, it's comedy, nothing should be off limits. Should you make fun of it? Probably not.

Everyone wants to hear a funny joke unless it's about them or something/someone they care about. Then it's not funny anymore and it turns into harassment/oppression.

Dave has the balls to talk about his perspective, and there are quite a few things he says that I simply don't agree with, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be off limits for him to make fun of. A comic should be able to make fun of whatever however whenever. Whether or not people find what they have to say funny is a whole different situation.

Oh bullshit he has balls. Any coward can make millions shitting on trans people while getting cheered on by a sold out crowd, while playing the victim.

He's not brave. Please.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Is the issue here the subject of the "jokes" or the way they are presented? He made jokes about Michael Jackson over a decade ago which boiled down to the same conclusion, only they were funny. Was there an outrage over "He made Thriller."? Is there an outrage now over the same joke? Would there be outrage this time if it wasn't just his opinion under the disguise of a "joke"?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Dude literally cancelled his tv show and left the country because regressive white people were taking his jokes the wrong way. "Icon of the alt right" is a bit much but you think those same regressive people aren't gonna be there for it now that he's intentionally shitting on a group they like to shit on too?

He walking away this time?

Now that people are taking his stuff to justify mocking trans folk? Or is he quadrupling down for profit off the backs of dehumanizing us?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Probably a bunch

Comedy is a cult...

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
After watching 30 minutes of this...I'm out. He's just doing the old man yells at cloud routine. There are no interesting insights here and nothing so far has been particularly funny either. Complaining and punching down: the special. Nah thanks, I'm good.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Some folks should just come out admit that they'll defend Chappelle being transphobic because he's created a safe space to be honest about how deep down they feel trans folk are delusional and that they're relieved that Chappelle has given them permission to laugh at us

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Is the issue here the subject of the "jokes" or the way they are presented? He made jokes about Michael Jackson over a decade ago which boiled down to the same conclusion, only they were funny. Was there an outrage over "He made Thriller."? Is there an outrage now over the same joke? Would there be outrage this time if it wasn't just his opinion under the disguise of a "joke"?

I dunno.

the "He made Thriller" sketch was actually the bit where he "defended" MJ and R.Kelly during the jury selection process.

Prosecutors would mention damaging evidence against the MJ and he would respond with an obviously outrageous explanation for how that evidence could exist without a crime.

For R.Kelly, he argued for a comically insane high burden of proof that would make his innocence non-falsifiable, And dismissed the already clearcut proof that was readily available.

His character was making the same outrageous types of arguments then, as he's making in the special now, but since it was a sketch people immediately recognize that the arguments aren't meant to be taken seriously and that the target of the joke is the nonsensical reasoning required to defend a child rapist. For whatever reason, people are now taking the clearly intentionally flawed logic as his actual personal opinion.

Last edited:

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
It's really sick to see MJ trending on twitter cause is his "birthday"... like anything has ever happened... and I'm used to like his music but now he just repells me.

ThirdROB

Oct 27, 2017
I attended the Gem City Shine concert in Dayton, Ohio this past weekend in honor of the victims of the mass shooting in the Oregon district and Dave using that platform to rally the 20,000+ crowd to action to change gun control laws certainly seemed "leftist" to me.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I attended the Gem City Shine concert in Dayton, Ohio this past weekend in honor of the victims of the mass shooting in the Oregon district and Dave using that platform to rally the 20,000+ crowd to action to change gun control laws certainly seemed "leftist" to me.
And because of this, we must still view him as being on the left when he's openly promoting right-wing ideas on the LGBTQ community?

If I shoot someone, is that excused because most days I wasn't shooting anyone?

"You guys are saying she's a murder, but I saw her at a cookout last weekend, and she didn't kill one person that whole afternoon. Seems pretty non-violent to me!"

Being on the left isn't a badge you buy, and then you just do what you want. You can be one thing one minute, and something else the next. It's not a difficult concept.

There are principles involved. When you're standing for those principles, you get to call yourself leftist. When you're reinforcing bigoted ideas about LGBTQ people, you don't, and you need to be called out.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got that it was supposed to be intentionally provocative, but the biggest problem was that it just wasn't funny. The subject matter didn't really work with his execution.

Also personally - and I don't mean this in a "bitch eating crackers" kinda way - I didn't like how often he broke, walked back from the stage, and laughed at his own jokes. That's just a pet peeve of mine, and I tend to see it as a tell when comedians know their stuff isn't that funny.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why we are going back and forth on claiming Dave politically. He's a socially insensitive Democrat who is Black politically first and foremost. There are plenty of bigoted Democrats.

I'm honestly surprised he's making trans jokes again. They're obviously punching down and just not funny. Why would you orbit around an unfunny topic for 3 specials now? There's no reason why the time can't be used for other jokes.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a great post. This debate always reminds me of that Patrice O'Neal interview (Warning, conversation about Rape jokes)

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
TFW people pay tickets to see and cheer for a person to stand on a stage and yell the same shit some random guy who'll punch the shit out of you would.

Status
Not open for further replies.