• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantona222

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Abuse
I agree with Chappelle regarding the accusations of Dave Robson that were made agaisnt Michael Jackson in Leaving Neverland movie. Wade had his chance to tell the "truth" in 2005 when he was a 22-year old adult and went to court under oath and defended MJ. Wade took a decision to lie and not prevent a "predetor" from continuing with his predatory actions. Wade also pushed hard to direct a Cirque Du Soleil show about MJ in 2011 (Which means that he is still promoting MJ). So what is the benifit of changing his statement in 2013 4 years after the death of MJ? The "Predetor" is already dead and he can only get money from the case. Wade had his chance before and lied (If MJ really did that).

Jan 18, 2018
Oh come on you can't be serious.

It couldn't be any more obvious that that comment, above all, is a complete joke and obviously not something he actually believes.

The guy made jokes about MJ and the kids years ago how MJ was "being a good host" and how his own friends don't even offer him grape drink, "let alone gettin' my dick sucked!".

People might take offense to it, but don't take it seriously. They are clear as day outlandish comments/jokes. He doesn't mean that shit.

As for the other stuff he said, I dunno what he believes, but I can guarantee you "you should feel honored to be molested by a huge celebrity" is an obvious joke.
I would like to believe that

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last night as well as the epilogue and I gotta say, aside from the MJ defense I'm REALLY surprised anyone would take offense with the set. I went in expecting some really terrible shit (based on all the reactions here and from THR) but it seemed... just like any other Dave Chappelle standup?

I didn't much care for the Chinese transracial bit either, especially because I feel like it's low hanging fruit and he's done better in the past. The LGBT bit in the car was pretty great and growing up with gay siblings it rang pretty true.

I thought the 2nd half of set was the better half but ultimately it was still pretty funny. Dave's delivery was on point, as always.

The epilogue was interesting in that it shows that he just has fun on stage and he hopes that people don't look too far into his jokes as a window to how he actually feels.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
How is that actually insightful, the common understanding is slurs of which you are the target of are yours to use but not ones you are not part of. Again they'd ask Bob Saget not to use either, and they'd ask a White Gay Comedian not to use the N word.... It's not a salient point it's bullshit designed to make it ok for him to use homophobic slurs.

The idea that slurs used against you are fair game, and slurs used against other marginalized groups,that you are not a part of, are not is just common sense... but here he is twisting it to make it sound like asking him not to be homophobic is oppression against him.

Full on if he had been asked not to use the N word the piece would be about how dare they try to tell me what to do with a word used against my people,,, and he'd be right to be pissed... since they didn't, he wants to act like they didn't respect him by not asking to stop using it... which again is mostly just so he can feel moral about saying the F word a bunch.

On Broadway he then used that as proof the Gays run Hollywood:

Yeah, Chapelle has shown his ass enough with this kind of issue that his comedy doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's not just saying offensive things for laughs, he's defending shitty views on stage.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Well, a lot of the victims, for one thing. How do you think they get away with it for so long? Like out of all the parts of that joke it's the one most rooted in truth!

I don't think theres any truth to the idea that a lot of victims are honored to be assaulted. They are manipulated and coerced into silence.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I watched it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved the story about Daphne.

It is obvious that Dave is frustrated by cancel culture and what it has done to his friends. He is clearly coming out and being as defiant as possible with his jokes as a form of protest.

Speaking of, I'm trying to choose my words wisely here so I don't get banned again talking about the same damn thing. How apropos.

The demonization of centrists is already one troubling aspect of modern society, but when fellow leftists are being demonized it is going to further allow right-wing culture to develop and flourish. When your own team is screaming at you, you have a lot less energy to fight the other team. And there were moments in Dave's special where he was attempting to make this exact same point.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I watched it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved the story about Daphne.

It is obvious that Dave is frustrated by cancel culture and what it has done to his friends. He is clearly coming out and being as defiant as possible with his jokes as a form of protest.

Speaking of, I'm trying to choose my words wisely here so I don't get banned again talking about the same damn thing. How apropos.

The demonization of centrists is already one troubling aspect of modern society, but when fellow leftists are being demonized it is going to further allow right-wing culture to develop and flourish. When your own team is screaming at you, you have a lot less energy to fight the other team. And there were moments in Dave's special where he was attempting to make this exact same point.
If you're helping keep vulnerable groups down, you aren't on any team of mine.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia and Inflammatory False Equivalence Over Multiple Posts; Prior Severe Ban for Similar Behavior
If you're helping keep vulnerable groups down, you aren't on any team of mine.

I suppose the debate is whether a joke from a well known comedian that has long made jokes about sensitive topics is keeping a vulnerable group down, especially a comedian that is a clear and long-term leftist. But that's not a debate I'm going to get into on this forum.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do you have any examples?

People don't always choose their audiences and what certain audiences will latch onto. I still hear the Chris |Rock 'Black vs Nigger' joke told by white people and they use it to justify their racism. I doubt Rock had that in mind when he told the joke, I doubt he thought some white people would latch onto it the way they did, but they did. I don't blame him for that or think he shouldn't have told the joke, I blame those who heard it and thought it was anything more than an edgy joke.
Examples.. of what?

There's a difference between misinterpreting a joke as it was intended and calling MJ accusers liars and telling people not to watch a documentary that exposes his behavior.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There is no such thing as "cancel culture." If you are a personality and you expose yourself as being a piece of shit then there is going to be fallout. I literally only ever see "cancel culture" said in that way in alt-right tweets.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Examples.. of what?

There's a difference between misinterpreting a joke as it was intended and calling MJ accusers liars and telling people not to watch a documentary that exposes his behavior.

Not sure what point you're trying to make.

The alt right response. I've seen it mentioned before but I can't find it on Twitter as I don't who the alt right personalities are.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
There is no such thing as "cancel culture." If you are a personality and you expose yourself as being a piece of shit then there is going to be fallout. I literally only ever see "cancel culture" said in that way in alt-right tweets.

Exactly this. "Cancel culture" is a fabrication of the alt-right to suppress victims from coming forward, and those who use the term expose themselves as such.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Exactly this. "Cancel culture" is a fabrication of the alt-right to suppress victims from coming forward, and those who use the term expose themselves as such.

Yeah my politics are such that you can't call yourself a political outsider if you've got a building named after you in a major city, and you can't experience "cancel culture", or at least the part of it that has some basis in truth, if you've had a television show with your name on it for multiple seasons.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I saw a clip from the stand up, and he says (paraphrasing): "I'm gonna say something people aren't gonna like.. I don't believe the mother fuckers". To applause. I guess apologists are going to twist into a pretzel defending it as "setting up the joke about him being a victim blamer" though. Nope, no real feelings here, no shitty takes, it's all just deadpan, right?

The alt right response. I've seen it mentioned before but I can't find it on Twitter as I don't who the alt right personalities are.
I don't really use Twitter, and I certainly don't familiarize myself with the alt-right side of it. I've heard from multiple people that they're celebrating his content. I'm sure it's there if you go look for it though. I just have no interest in doing that.

But is the idea of it even surprising? This kind of toxic shit is right up their alley.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FYI, pedophilie defenders and people who trade in anti-trans & anti-gay "humor" aren't leftists.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, pedophilie defenders and people who trade in anti-trans & anti-gay "humor" aren't leftists.
There are plenty of leftists who don't believe the MJ accusations (even some right here on this forum!) and just because you don't find the jokes funny doesn't mean he's a bigot. I think it's pretty clear he isn't but I'm not going to change the mind of anyone who thinks otherwise.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of leftists who don't believe the MJ accusations (even some right here on this forum!) and just because you don't find the jokes funny doesn't mean he's a bigot. I think it's pretty clear he isn't but I'm not going to change the mind of anyone who thinks otherwise.
Nope. If someone is into anti-gay & anti-trans "comedy" and support pedophile defenders they're misusing the term for themselves.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Chappelle and other comedians like him are useful idiots in normalizing alt-right terms and concepts.

Jan 18, 2018

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. If someone is into anti-gay & anti-trans "comedy" and support pedophile defenders they're misusing the term for themselves.

A Leftist is a person with leftwing political views. His act isn't an indication of the policy he supports or opposes - other than the parts where he actually comments on policy.

Saying that he thinks MJ is innocent isn't a policy. Neither is making jokes ( even mean spirited jokes) about marginalized people.

You're in fact misusing the term.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty fucking clear he is a bigot towards trans folks. Like, it's blatantly obvious.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
You can be a left-leaning person and still have a massive blindspot for your own personal biases. You can be right about some things, and be totally wrong about other things. There isn't a line that perfectly divides two groups of people.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose the debate is whether a joke from a well known comedian that has long made jokes about sensitive topics is keeping a vulnerable group down, especially a comedian that is a clear and long-term leftist. But that's not a debate I'm going to get into on this forum.

Terfs are leftists

They do more damage to trans folk than a lot of conservatives

Please

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Leftist is a person with leftwing political views. His act isn't an indication of the policy he supports or opposes - other than the parts where he actually comments on policy.

You're in fact misusing the term.
Sorry, no. You're missing the big picture here.

A key part of having leftwing political views is supporting trans people and the rest of the LGBTQ community. Chappelle (and seemingly, to a degree, his defenders) has decided that LGBTQ people, especially trans women of color who are disproportionately murdered for who they are, are less important than a cheap, stale laugh. That Chappelle is becoming an alt-right icon actually makes a lot of sense.

If someone has some leftist political views but supports anti-gay, anti-trans sentiment, a more accurate term would be "centrist."

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was more bothered by the crowd than Dave in this special. Dave knows he's just talking shit, the crowd seems to actually take him seriously, which is horrifying. I see that from Bill Burr fans a lot too.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, no. You're missing the big picture here.

A key part of having leftwing political views is supporting trans people and the rest of the LGBTQ community. Chappelle (and seemingly, to a degree, his defenders) has decided that LGBTQ people, especially trans women of color who are disproportionately murdered for who they are, are less important than a cheap, stale laugh. That Chappelle is becoming an alt-right icon actually makes a lot of sense.

You're trying to take a word that already has a meaning and give it a new one. There's no definition of leftism that says "doesn't make jokes at the expense of LGBTQ people"

A Leftist is a person whose political views occupy position "on the left" of the political spectrum. That's it. It's not a descriptor for a monolithic group of people who not only share the exact same political views on every issue, but also the same views on what is acceptable comedy.

There's no big picture that I'm missing. Just because almost all support for LGBTQ policy comes from the left, doesn't mean that every leftist is an ideal advocate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're trying to take a word that already has a meaning and give it a new one.

A Leftist is a person whose political views occupy position "on the left" of the political spectrum. It's not a descriptor for a monolithic group of people who not only share the exact same political views, but also the same views on what is acceptable comedy.
Not really.

Chappelle has shown that while he holds some left positions, he takes a conservative/ alt-right approach with regards to others (the safety, rights and well being of LGBTQ people is a political issue). So, calling him a leftist is not accurate or appropriate.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was more bothered by the crowd than Dave in this special. Dave knows he's just talking shit, the crowd seems to actually take him seriously, which is horrifying. I see that from Bill Burr fans a lot too.
Yeah, the crowd was absolutely garbage. Like within the first couple seconds;

"Anthony Bourdain killed himself."
Crowd: HOWLING WITH LAUGHTER

Like, the fuck?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

Chappelle has shown that while he holds some left positions, he takes a conservative/ alt-right approach with regards to others (the safety, rights and well being of LGBTQ people is a political issue). So, calling him a leftist is not accurate or appropriate.

Again, a "leftist" is a descriptor of a person's position on the political spectrum. A person's position on LGBTQ issues isn't the final say on whether someone is a leftist or not, as there are literally countless other issues and topics of political discourse. A person could be a leftist and not be an advocate for LGBTQ all. The LGBTQ advocacy alone doesn't dictate where someone sits on the spectrum. And someone can support progressive policy without being an advocate for the effected communities.

what is Dave Chappelle's position on actually policy that effects the LGBTQ community? I feel like you don't actually know, but are using distaste for his act to make assumptions. Whatever the case may be, you can't just change the definition of a word.

Last edited:

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, a "leftist" is a descriptor of a person's position on the political spectrum. A person's position on LGBTQ issues isn't the final say on whether someone is a leftist or not, as there are literally countless other issues and topics of political discourse. A person could be a leftist and not have LGBTQ issues in their platform at all. The LGBTQ issues don't dominate or dictate progressive thought. Again, its a spectrum not a monolithic ideology.

what is Dave Chappelle's position on actually policy that effects the LGBTQ community? Does he believe they should have equal rights to everyone else? I feel like you don't actually know, but are using distaste for his act to make assumptions.
This is exactly what everyone is doing.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, a "leftist" is a descriptor of a person's position on the political spectrum. A person's position on LGBTQ issues isn't the final say on whether someone is a leftist or not, as there are literally countless other issues and topics of political discourse. A person could be a leftist and not be an advocate for LGBTQ all. The LGBTQ advocacy alone doesn't dictate where someone sits on the spectrum. And someone can support progressive policy without being an advocate for the effected communities.

what is Dave Chappelle's position on actually policy that effects the LGBTQ community? I feel like you don't actually know, but are using distaste for his act to make assumptions. Whatever the case may be, you can't just change the definition of a word.
Chappelle doesn't need to be an advocate for the LGBTQ community in order to be considered a leftist. But his anti-LGBTQ extremism in his work is a tool used to normalize the harm and marginalization of the LGBTQ community. This has always been true but seeing Chappelle become a darling of the alt-right really cements it.

Supporting some progressive policy while creating work that actively damages the LGBT community means that Chappelle is not a leftist. By the same token, we don't call libertarians who are non-interventionists or pro-LGBTQ equality leftists simply because they hold a couple left views. Similarly, Chappelle's anti-LGBTQ & misogynist work disqualify him from being considered a leftist.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
There's more to it than just policy. It's against the law/not within "policy" to kill people and people still do it, policy is important but so is culture. You don't make things harder in the culture if you want the policies to be effective.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
There's more to it than just policy. It's against the law/not within "policy" to kill people and people still do it, policy is important but so is culture. You don't make things harder in the culture if you want the policies to be effective.

more to what than policy? A Leftist is a person who's political views occupy the left of the political spectrum. Leftism isn't defined by Whether or not a person is a good advocate for LGBTQ issues - or even if a person advocates for LGBTQ at all.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
more to what than policy? Leftist is a person who's political views occupy the left of the spectrum. Leftism isn't defined by Whether or not a person is a good advocate for LGBTQ issues - or even if a person advocates for LGBTQ at all.
I mean I would certainly not consider anyone who didn't advocate for those issues part of the left haha. Centrists can vote D their whole lives, they aren't "the left". You make is sound like as long as he supports policy that's enough, it isn't.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
more to what than policy? Leftist is a person who's political views occupy the left of the spectrum. Leftism isn't defined by Whether or not a person is a good advocate for LGBTQ issues - or even if a person advocates for LGBTQ at all.
It's not about whether or not someone is an advocate for, necessarily. Chappelle's work as it concerns the LGBTQ community would best be described as alt-right.

Notyou

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Drive-By Trolling in a Sensitive Thread and Prior Ban for Similar Behavior; Account in Junior Phase
Loved the show and love Chappelle.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Chappelle doesn't need to be an advocate for the LGBTQ community in order to be considered a leftist. But his anti-LGBTQ extremism in his work is a tool used to normalize the harm and marginalization of the LGBTQ community. This has always been true but seeing Chappelle become a darling of the alt-right really cements it.

Supporting some progressive policy while creating work that actively damages the LGBT community means that Chappelle is not a leftist. By the same token, we don't call libertarians who are non-interventionists or pro-LGBTQ equality leftists simply because they hold a couple left views. Similarly, Chappelle's anti-LGBTQ & misogynist work disqualify him from being considered a leftist.

What is the basis of your argument that the leftist views he holds are out numbered outweighed by the content of his act? LGBTQ issues make up a segment of the left platform - but they don't define it.

I don't know how else to say it but the political spectrum is massive - you can't simply declare that a person's existence on the left side of it is primarily a function of the content they create regarding LGBTQ.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't know how else to say it but the political spectrum is massive - you can't simply declare that a person's existence on the left side of it is primarily a function of the content they create regarding LGBTQ.
Sure you can, when equality and progressive vaues are so fundamental to what the left represents or should represent.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
but I'm certain R.Kelly is a much better target.

yeah essentially hes saying that R Kelly always been trash but not just on the behavior level

I think Dave is still on that line he took when he was doing his Cosby's stuff. Its not sensitive at all but it makes people react and thats what hes interested in I think

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the basis of your argument that the leftist views he holds are out numbered outweighed by the content of his act? LGBTQ issues make up a segment of the left platform - but they don't define it.

He's an icon of the alt-right who is making a career out of punching down at marginalized people. That's not a leftist. Targeting marginalized communities who are disproportionately victims of violent crime is more than enough to disqualify him from being able to ever be considered a leftist. But his misogyny also contributes to the calculus.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I would certainly not consider anyone who didn't advocate for those issues part of the left haha. Centrists can vote D their whole lives, they aren't "the left". You make is sound like as long as he supports policy that's enough, it isn't.

Yeah I mean, what you consider to be the left and what the left actually is are two different things.

LGBTQ advocacy isn't the key to the leftist gate.

I make it sound like supporting policy is enough for what? For Him to be a champion of LGBTQ community? Hell no, he'll never be that. For him to be a leftist? No, not inherently. Because That issue alone doesn't determine if someone is a leftist. It's a function of all of their political views. There are countless other issues that someone can have leftist views on that don't pertain to LGBTQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.