• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for spoiling the show

I recommend discretion before spoiling a fresh new Netflix special
I know you understand that concept of priorities because you're constantly in the Canadian politics threads, saying Trudeau's scandals are no big deal because the priority should be about stopping Scheer from coming into power and all the damage he and his party would do. And as far as stopping Scheer goes, indeed making sure he doesn't get power is important.

But if you'd understand that, if you understand priorities there in that case, I'd like to think you'd understand priorities outside of that context as well and know that spoilers are kinda, well, an infinitely lower priority than calling out people who make fun of and dismisses sexual harassment and assault victims. 'Cause one of these two is kinda obviously way more important than the other and since you very clearly understand what's more important between stopping Scheer vs SNC-Lavalin, I'd hope you'd be able to apply that same logic here and it's not just something like, say, you only choosing to selectively invoke that logic when SNC-Lavalin is brought up to entirely dismiss it out of hand and admit that Trudeau did anything bad at all while still nonetheless thinking he's better than Scheer.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is that any different from a teenager playing violent video games?

Oh, dude, you went there. You pointed out the hypocrisy.

From the introduction it also mentions other papers that have documented negative effects

You were called out on a claim that jokes, in general, have serious psychological effects on the populations being made fun of, and you come up with that? A study concluding that discrimination (and specifically racial discrimination) by peers is more impactful than discrimination by adults? Chappelle making jokes is a "peer" engaging in discrimination?

Last edited:

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
is it really? I remember a few posters in the last few Chapelle threads would post a massive image of why Chappelle should be boycotted, literally half the thread would be that image by the same poster. It was almost impossible to discuss the special itself. At least that doesn't seem to be happening now.

I'll watch this special and make up my own mind, i do kinda find it ironic that there are so many twitter posts and news articles written about how his new special is ugly but that would seem to be just driving people to watch it in a "whats going on" kind of way. I didn't even realize it was being released today until I saw some of those tweets.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what kind of numbers netflix releases about this.

Same. I didn't even know anything about it until I saw this thread and I'm watching it same day.

I'd say it is less offensive than the previous specials, personally.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Thread Derailment and Antagonizing Another User Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Accumulated Infractions
The thing that really throws me is seeing posts from folks who seem to conceptualize themselves as progressive or leftists defending this retrograde, homophobic, sexist, victim-bashing garbage.

ive literally seen you make excuses for the horrendous homophobia in the bible

talk about fucking retrograde

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a comedy show. It's not meant to be taken seriously, people in here make it out to be a court statement lol.
That doesn't matter in the least. It just being "jokes" doesn't stop it from causing damage. That's completely irrelevant, as the effects are the same regardless.

Again, for the topic of transphobic jokes for instance...
www.hrc.org

Study Shows Shocking Rates of Attempted Suicide Among Trans Teens

Harrowing statistics from a study revealed alarming levels of attempted suicide among transgender youth.
Harrowing statistics from a study recently published by the American Academy of Pediatrics revealed alarming levels of attempted suicide among transgender youth -- with the highest rates among transgender boys and non-binary youth. The findings emphasize the urgency of building welcoming and safe communities for LGBTQ young people, particularly for transgender youth.

More than half of transgender male teens who participated in the survey reported attempting suicide in their lifetime, while 29.9 percent of transgender female teens said they attempted suicide. Among non-binary youth, 41.8 percent of respondents stated that they had attempted suicide at some point in their lives.

Many transgender young people experience family rejection, bullying and harassment, or feel unsafe for simply being who they are - all of which can be added risk factors for suicide. Earlier this year, HRC released its 2018 LGBTQ Youth Report, which detailed similarly alarming experiences -- but also significant perseverance among LGBTQ young people in the face of daunting challenges.
That stuff doesn't come out of nowhere. It doesn't happen for no reason. This is all a part of it, and it just being "jokes" doesn't make the harm it causes any less real.

So I will not calm down about this at all, and I make no apologies about that, because 50% of a group of people trying to commit suicide at some point in their life is the definition of serious, so I will rightly take it as such because that's my priority it, doing what little I can to call that stuff out when I see it for even to smallest chance, even the smallest chance of making someone's day that much better as that's enough to be worth for for me, as I'm not sure where your priorities are, but those are mine and I make no apologies for that fact.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a comedy show. It's not meant to be taken seriously, people in here make it out to be a court statement lol.

You can't be serious with this post. He's leading up to a punsh line. First tells a little story then BAM here comes the joke. Like with every one of his specials.
Okay, so what's the joke in this instance, and why could it only be done by accusing MJ's victims of lying (which it isn't the first time he's done) and accusing them of liking it even if they weren't lying, very real stereotypes that harm sexual assault victims and scare them from being able to safely come forward all the time, the exact type of stuff sexual assault victims cite all the time when they come forward as being exactly the type of stuff that makes them so hesitant and often leads to them taking substantial amounts of time to come forward if they do at all? Surely you'll be able to explain not only what that "BAM" moment here and why it specifically needs to be set up this particular way and how that justifies the kind of harm this stuff does and makes it all worth it then?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol you misinterpreted my posts then and now.

you said what you said, im not misrepresenting anything

you said the bible isn't anti-lgbt

i showed the verses

then you said its up to interpretation

and then you said its because its translations of translations, like that has any relevance at all to the claim that the bible contains homophobic language

you attempted to obfuscate the issue and make excuses

Last edited:

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
This is the same guy that made the "The Niggar Family" and people are surprised he's like this? If you weren't disappointed over a decade ago then yeah, maybe you changed but he hasn't. He's advocating for comedians to have the right to say whatever they want in a new age where people want to censor but don't want to be censored. It's all confusing but all you can do in terms of Dave is not watch and not support him.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you said what you said, im not misrepresenting anything

you said the bible isn't anti-lgbt

i showed the verses

then you said its up to interpretation
You have literally the exact opposite understanding of what actually happened. Not discussing this further with you as I'm not interested in derailing this thread.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so what's the joke in this instance, and why could it only be done by accusing MJ's victims of lying (which it isn't the first time he's done) and accusing them of liking it even if they weren't lying, very real stereotypes that harm sexual assault victims and scare them from being able to safely come forward all the time, the exact type of stuff sexual assault victims cite all the time when they come forward as being exactly the type of stuff that makes them so hesitant and often leads to them taking substantial amounts of time to come forward if they do at all? Surely you'll be able to explain not only what that "BAM" moment here and why it specifically needs to be set up this particular way and how that justifies the kind of harm this stuff does and makes it all worth it then?
Dude. It's comedy. If it's not funny to you, don't laugh don't waste your time on another Dave show and move on. It's not politics, it's not meant to be taken word for word or seriously at all.

It's escapism nothing more.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia
Because they ain't just jokes no matter how much people insist they are and have some very FUCKING REAL IMPACTS, like this:
www.hrc.org

Study Shows Shocking Rates of Attempted Suicide Among Trans Teens

Harrowing statistics from a study revealed alarming levels of attempted suicide among transgender youth.

But certain edgy comedians (and particularly important to note, not all comedians as there are those that do good work and when they joke only punch-up... unfortunately Dave does not appear to be one of them) think the important thing isn't that, but that they can't do edgy jokes anymore, that that should be the takeaway...

Yeah, no, I'm much more concerned about the group that has 50% of people ATTEMPTING SUICIDE IN THEIR LIFETIME and will do everything I can to help them out and push back on the factors that make them feel hated and despised and like they have to so much as consider suicide, ever, and will be 100% unapologetic about that and pushing back against anyone who would defend that trash in even the slightest way, thank you very much. This is an issue I take damn seriously, and for damn good reason, because the effects couldn't be anymore serious, so forgive me for being more concerned about that then whether some comedians can make transphobic jokes when there's currently a suicide crisis in the transgender community due to this exact kind of bullshit.

That's right, comedians are the real victims here, not the transgender community.... Get out of here with that

Joking about society's ills doesn't cause them.

Chappelle joking about fucked up shit isn't causing the fucked up shit to happen.

It was fucked up already and he just saw the funny in it, because that's comedy: finding the funny in tragedy.

You are way off base in your approach to citing suicide statistics to make jokes about transgender people taboo and making people feel bad about laughing at them. It's gross, emotionally manipulative behaviour.

Suicide in the black community and amongst black teenagers in particular have skyrocketed over the last two decades. Should Chappelle quit making jokes about how difficult life is being black? Should he not be allowed to joke about how fucked up it is to see our youth subjected to a life of drug abuse and crime, or how our children are seen as inherently less innocent and can be sentenced to life in jail even for accidental deaths?

These are the things Chappelle has been making jokes about for decades.

It is adult content intended for adult audiences.

We laugh at it because it's fucked up, because it's too real, and to find the funny in all that requires a scalpel and a deft hand, and far more empathy than you are willing to give him credit for.

It's ugly when it doesn't work but when it does, we laugh till our eyes water and our bellies ache for a reason.

That's why people are willing to give Chappelle such leeway, even when he misses the mark from time to time.

Because it's not easy to do what he does, otherwise we'd have more Chappelles.

Now I'm not saying you can't feel a type of way because that's also a part of comedy, but you know how you react to a bad joke? You don't. That's worse to a comedian than outrage or heckling. Apathy.

It's a far better and more appropriate response than riding roughshod over nuance and accusing the people that laugh at dark jokes at a goddamn comedy show of being horrible individuals that support the absurdity and bigotry that makes up the foundation of comedic sets.

Then again, you can and should react however you deem appropriate. That is your right. All I'm saying is that you should expect some push back.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Joking about society's ills doesn't cause them.

Chappelle joking about fucked up shit isn't causing the fucked up shit to happen.

It was fucked up already and he just saw the funny in it, because that's comedy: finding the funny in tragedy.
He makes homophobic statements, and that, in and of itself, is the joke. He just says something homophobic, and the audience laughs.

That's not "joking about society's ills".

That's not "joking about fucked up shit".

That's just being a bigot.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Not to defend the jokes, as they are bottom of the barrel for Chapelle and resued bits, but seeing them printed instead of listening to the way he is saying them makes a huge difference. People who just read jokes are missing the way it has been presented by the comedian.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend the jokes, as they are bottom of the barrel for Chapelle and resued bits, but seeing them printed instead of listening to the way he is saying them makes a huge difference. People who just read jokes are missing the way it has been presented by the comedian.

"If you had just heard the modulation of his fake chinese accent when he compared being trans to him being chinese, you'd understand he meant no harm"

I just don't see the point in bending over backwards to be charitable to Chapelle when what he's doing is as dim as it is. You can hand wave one or two things if you really want but there's a whole special of it. Two specials of it actually.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some things you just don't fucking joke about. YOU JUST DON'T.

Like, in regards to the MJ stuff, there are some relevant threads that just popped up on gaming side that should make it VERY clear how much sexual assault victims have on their plate as it is. If you don't know what I'm referring to and want to know how much sexual assault victims have on their plate as it is, read this thread. Seriously read it. Read it and consider how much sexual assault victims have on their plate as it is:

And not just that one, but unfortunately this other one as well:
www.resetera.com

Jeremy Soule (Skyrim/Guild Wars 2 Composer) Accused of Rape

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/calling-out

www.nathalielawhead.com

calling out my rapist

Take the time to read those stories. Take the time to contemplate just how terrible what happened to those people are, just how much they have on their plates as it is. And then, having contemplated all that, think if you really want to defend some piece of garbage making jokes about how sexual assault victims are probably just liars and even if they're not, they probably like it. Think about, with how much they ALREADY have on their plates, if that's what they need, and that that is how, in any way, in even the slightest way, is worth defending at all.

Just think about that. Take the time to read them, see how much they went through. And then ask if yourselves if these are really just "jokes." If this stuff is really worth defending, that doing so helps victims in any way. That they don't have enough on their plates.

And of course, all this also goes for Leaving Neverland, which people should really watch before forming ANY type of opinion on this. As people really should watch it regardless. But either way, after doing so, again, after everything they went through, ask yourselves if "jokes" like these are what MJ's victims need, that it helps them in any way. That this garbage is really in any way is defending, in any way whatever.

Because at least as far as I'm concerned, some things absolutely, positively shouldn't be joked about. And this is a perfect example of some of those things that shouldn't be joked about, at all, for very, very valid reasons. Because at least as far as I'm concerned, after reading stories like those, after watching documentaries like that, I personally can't comprehend how anyone with even a shred of empathy to them, even a shred, could have their takeaway be the most important thing being sticking up for pathetic "jokes" like this instead of calling them out whenever they see them and doing whatever they can for victims, but that's me.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Dude. It's comedy. If it's not funny to you, don't laugh don't waste your time on another Dave show and move on. It's not politics...

*Snip*
Everything is fucking political! Even if you don't intend it, everything has a consequence! God damn!

Same shit idiots use to defend getting fat from Chick fil A

"It's just chicken man... Let me be fucking selfish!" While burying your head in the sand, because you feel that entitled and aren't victimized.

"It's just a joke, bruh!"

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
"If you had just heard the modulation of his fake chinese accent when he compared being trans to him being chinese, you'd understand he meant no harm"

I just don't see the point in bending over backwards to be charitable to Chapelle when what he's doing is as dim as it is. You can hand wave one or two things if you really want but there's a whole special of it. Two specials of it actually.

I'm saying just reading somebody's bit loses the way the joke was actually told, again, I'm not defending his jokes, I'm just against when people quote jokes instead of posting the audio as it can be taken in differently.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything is fucking political! Even if you don't intend it, everything has a consequence! God damn!

Same shit idiots use to defend getting fat from Chick fil A

"It's just chicken man... Let me be fucking selfish!" While burying your head in the sand, because you feel that entitled and aren't victimized.

"It's just a joke, bruh!"
You sniped an important part.

Arguing for unhealthy lifestyles is not the same.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I don't even hate the whole special. I think there's some solid material in the back half of this one. He said a lot of things about black people, white people, women, white women, etc. that I agreed with, or even thought was funny if I didn't agree with it. Even if it was joking about me in a way I didn't agree with.

At one point he says there's no such thing as good 36-year-old pussy. I'm 37, and I chuckled. It's not a great joke or anything, but it's harmless.

I don't agree with what he said about child support, but again, I chuckled. It was a dumb harmless joke. And better yet, it even came in the context of a lot of really progressive comments about abortion and women's rights.

And it's funny how whenever Dave says positive, progressive things that people are okay with, you don't see anyone coming out of the woodwork to say "you don't know that he actually believes that, it's just comedy". Those people only seem to come out like that in defense of things like homophobia.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Not the first time he said some kind of bullshit. I don't think he is that funny anymore anyway.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
I really hate articles like this about stand up. "He explains" "he reiterates" come on... He's saying outrageous shit to make people laugh. If you wanna argue that it's not appropriate to joke about certain topics fine but don't frame it like he's giving a damn Ted talk.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
And it's funny how whenever Dave says positive, progressive things that people are okay with, you don't see anyone coming out of the woodwork to say "you don't know that he actually believes that, it's just comedy". Those people only seem to come out like that in defense of things like homophobia.

I would think it's more because people want to believe he believes things that are more agreeable to them. In reality, it is as you say — "We don't actually know what he believes"

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I feel like some of them haven't viewed the special as well...
most of them haven't

good for you
I mean, if we want to play that game and just make stuff up now, two can play that game. I'm guessing very few people here have actually watched Leaving Neverland to begin with and are in any position to say anything about it to begin with, if that's an okay thing to joke about or not, these victims stories, having not seen what these stories are or aren't. Of course, unlike you, I'm not actually going to assume you haven't watched it, but rather hope you have and assume that indeed, you're making these statements already having all the information available, as it would be quite silly to do otherwise, especially making those particular criticisms and I would assume you wouldn't be that silly and would like to assume the best of you.

People really should watch Leaving Neverland btw either way regardless. And if you have already, watch it again and refresh your memories a bit before commenting because I'd wager doing so would suddenly make these jokes a whole hell of a lot less funny.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
You would be surprised at the reach that comedians and our entertainment culture can have on society. When I was growing up in a small town in the south, most people had never heard of anyone who was transgender until that god awful South Park episode aired about their teacher getting a 'sex change' with the comparisons being made towards being able to identify as black and being able to identify as a dolphin. These were opinions that I had to hear constantly from friends and family who loved to watch the show because it was 'edgy' and they genuinely agreed with the episode and thought that trans identities were just as ridiculous as the rest of them and they felt emboldened by these jokes to spread those opinions.
I've argued with so many fucking people who still say that f*g isn't a slur because South Park told them it didn't mean that anymore. Fuck South Park.

I've also seen posts on this very website of people going into threads and posting a clip from a set and going "I agree with [insert comedian's name here]'s take on this".

For better or worse, and people often take away bad shit from "edgy" jokes. Chappelle himself knows this and cites it as one of the reasons he walked away from Chappelle's Show. Chris Rock talked about taking back one of his jokes and never using it again for the same reason. Hell, even trash ass Louis fucking CK walked back some of his jokes because people were using them as a justification for using slurs.

2005 Dave needs to sit 2019 Dave down for a talk.

zVmt9tk.jpg
I was looking for this to post in here, since he's seemingly forgotten this. It's all "Just Jokes" until you realize who's laughing at them.

Palocca

Oct 27, 2017
six pages in and still no context

odd

The context is that Chappelle is saying outrageous things at his comedy show in an attempt to get you to laugh. That's his style. I can't actually imagine that he's sincerely suggesting to an acquaintance from his past that he should kill himself because his life was/is comparatively worse than Anthony Bourdain's. His skits from his old show, like Clayton Bigsby or Wayne Brady, are also conceptually absurd.

Comedy is subjective. Each person has a different threshold on what they find funny. For some, the trans jokes are where they draw the line. And that's OK. But I'm not going to pass judgment that Chappelle is a transphobic bigot because he's cracking these jokes at a comedy club where he's expected to play a persona. If he's actively campaigning against the community when the lights are off, then that's a different story.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching it last night while eating dinner, almost spat my food out lol. Reminded me of Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle style of outrageous comedy.

FaultyFork

Oct 28, 2017
It's so weird to see so many people act like what's said in a comedy routine is totally serious and just him stating his true opinions. A big part of comedy is making exaggerated claims and pushing fucked up ideas to make people laugh. You'd have to cancel pretty much every comedy club if this is the stuff you find too offensive.

Deleted member 59339

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
It's so weird to see so many people act like what's said in a comedy routine is totally serious and just him stating his true opinions. A big part of comedy is making exaggerated claims and pushing fucked up ideas to make people laugh. You'd have to cancel pretty much every comedy club if this is the stuff you find too offensive.
It's weird to see so many people act like absolutely any hateful shit a person can imagine is totally fine to say if you just label it as comedy.

And for the millionth time, with a lot of his homophobic stuff, there isn't even a joke. He just makes a plainly homophobic comment, and the audience laughs.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
The first half of the special is full of stuff he shouldn't touch, and he knows it. The later parts had me in stitches, though.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He looks guilty, laughs at himself and walks off stage when he tells some of these jokes. He's clearly not sharing his actual opinions. He's just telling dark as fuck jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.