• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I find news articles about stand up sets kind of useless to be honest. Is this going to be done with every set he ever does? The q and a segment provided more insight. Are we actual concerned for Caulkin's safety because Dave would have fucked him according to his set?

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I find news articles about stand up sets kind of useless to be honest. Is this going to be done with every set he ever does? The q and a segment provided more insight. Are we actual concerned for Caulkin's safety because Dave would have fucked him according to his set?
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Jan 18, 2018
Fucking disappointing, I grew up on Dave, but this is trash. What a dick. He probably actually believes that bullshit. Imagine, a celebrity believing just because of that status, a person being molested/assaulted by them is a gift. I wonder what a person who thinks like that has done.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Dave definitely just started saying some shit to piss people off. Daring people to clap at him again. A lot of the bits were like this. I'm thinking he was being mean, looking to make people angry again.

I don't believe he really believes any of this stuff he's saying. But I dunno I guess

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, this is where I'm at.

I'm not going to use someone's STAND UP set, as a direct lens into their morals. I will judge their ability to read the room though.

Articles that say, "you won't believe what this comedian thinks!" and then excerpts their set, are pretty disingenuous.

People were quoting the Caulkin line with genuine concern.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Yup, easy clicks.
Wait whoa what

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, this is where I'm at.

I'm not going to use someone's STAND UP set, as a direct lens into their morals. I will judge their ability to read the room though.

Articles that say, "you won't believe what this comedian thinks!" and then excerpts their set, are pretty disingenuous.
Stand up comedians in general are mentally deranged and think of the most fucked up shit. The jokes they tell each other must be beyond offensive.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dave definitely just started saying some shit to piss people off. Daring people to clap at him again. A lot of the bits were like this. I'm thinking he was being mean, looking to make people angry again.

I don't believe he really believes any of this stuff he's saying. But I dunno I guess
That makes it even worse if he doesn't believe it himself (which I really don't see any reason to believe is the case, but either way). Because whether he believes it or not, the damage this type of stuff does, dismissing accounts if sexual sbuse and then going on to say even if it did happen they "must have liked it" and all that is the same regardless because whether he believes it or not just throwing that stuff out there anyway is exactly the type of stuff people use to attack accusers, believing that they must just be in it for the money and stuff because they find it do hard to believe they were abused for the same "jokes" get makes here, and that's exactly the type of stuff that makes it so hard for victims to come forward in the first place, because they know they have to deal with stuff like that if they do. So if he doesn't even believe it himself, that would make it that much worse, doing that damage for something he doesn't even believe himself, but just doing it anyway.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

He's written off Jackson accusers for years. You can't say he's doesn't believe what he's saying when he's consistently reiterated it.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
He's been saying some version of that for 20 years. It's hard to wring anything funny or interesting out of that stone these days, though. I didn't see his special so he may have mentioned it, but I'm certain R.Kelly is a much better target.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching it now. It's terrible on a lot of levels. 21:49 remaining....

EDIT: just finished it. By far the weakest thing he has done.

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Turning selected quotes from a stand-up set and turning it into text, removing all nuance is always an unfair thing to do ...

...but that being said, this special was really weak and filled with bad takes. If it wasn't for Chapelle's delivery, I would've barely laughed at all.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Turning selected quotes from a stand-up set, and into text and removing all nuance is always an unfair thing to do ...

...but that being said, this special was really weak and filled with bad takes. If it wasn't for Chapelle's delivery, I would've barely laughed at all.
Where I'm at

The MJ stuff seemed to be said more for the lead in to a joke rather than Dave simply stating his hatred for the two new accusers. And the cancel culture joke felt important due to the connection to what Chappelle was trying to say. But what do I know, I'm biased as I really enjoyed this special.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This generation of comics seem to have all lost their minds and they're not even that old yet.
Sad to see a comedian enter into the "out of touch" phase.

I pray Patton Oswalt never hits that

The #MeToo movement combined with the rapid rise in LGBTQ+ acceptance this decade has seemingly thrown nearly every major Gen-X comedian for a loop and they don't know how to cope.

Luckily Patton Oswalt seems to be far more outwardly liberal and progressive than many of his contemporaries. Plus he's never really been the kind of comedian who goes for outrageous or politically-incorrect jokes to begin with. Which is why i think he's been able to avoid a lot of the controversies and backlash that other comedians his age have experienced.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Pretty much. Whether people think it's funny or not, doing a stand up set is pretty much playing a character. It's not really the truth about who he is or what he believes.

And the qa section I think, whether the anecdote was true or not, gives more insight onto where he stands with regards to trans people and other topics.

Overall the special wasn't his best but it had some great moments. Don't get your opinion from a Hollywood Reporter article people.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-By Posting in a Sensitive Thread
Wait, we now hate dave Chapelle?

3XiKMch.gif

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Guess Dave decided that Louis C.K. was the future of comedy. Next thing you know the two of them will be on tour together. Sounds like peas in a pod.

jerd

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't seen the special and not really a Chapelle fan but most comedians have things in their sets that when put in writing with no context and led in with "X comedian believes this" look pretty bad. Without ever watching it I would be willing to bet Chapelle doesn't actually believe this and Bill Burr isn't actually rooting for genocide and Anthony Jeselnik doesn't actually enjoy watching babies die etc etc

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Kevin Hart is celeb hunting unless something else has come to light recently that'll I'm unaware of but those other two have pretty weak cases and are hard to defend.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The MJ stuff seemed to be said more for the lead in to a joke rather than Dave simply stating his hatred for the two new accusers. And the cancel culture joke felt important due to the connection to what Chappelle was trying to say. But what do I know, I'm biased as I really enjoyed this special.
What joke does that lead into exactly and how does that defend him joking about them being lists and how even if it were true it must be the "best day of their lives" exactly? How does whatever joke it leads into necessitate making those kinda vile jokes that do real damage to victims of sexual abuse and nake it that much harder for them to come forward, however it was intended?

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): DIsmissive drive-by post in a sensitive thread.
So what? They've also got a bunch of great stuff there about climate change, gun control, social justice, the environment etc.

Nobody is making you watch anything.
But they disagree with my world view so they must be deplatformed!

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'll wait to pass judgment till I watch his special. Dave has always been edgy comedy this is known. As far as what I read on top it's more just along him being funny with uncomfortable topics. He always plays with topics like this to get a reaction it's what he does. I feel people are reading into this to much.

Also I like to see if he comes full circle like he did with the OJ stuff.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think the internet works that way. It's all or nothing for everyone at every time.
I mean, look at it this way: If you were a part of a group he said some bad shit about, you'd be pretty pissed, right? Or, if you were a friend of someone who was, you'd probably still be pissed because you love and support your friend. Now, in life we are all going to end up supporting things that are shady or promote bad things, you might use a Nestle product or shop at Walmart, this stuff is inevitable in most cases. In this instance, it's a product that nobody is really forced to take part in, it offers little tangible benefit beyond entertainment, so in a case like this it's much easier to take a stand to not support it because it isn't a necessity.

I don't think everyone who watches it is a bad person or anything, but once you've learned about things the guy said and still actively seek out to defend it, then I would start to side-eye because it's basically saying "I don't care about those issues or people, I value my own entertainment more".

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So what? They've also got a bunch of great stuff there about climate change, gun control, social justice, the environment etc.

Nobody is making you watch anything.
Wait, did I say someone was making me watch something? Can you elaborate on your logic, because what I'm seeing is "don't criticize Netflix" which is a fairly absurd position.

Jun 23, 2019
Wait it's out? I literally just watched The Bird Revelation last night and it was more Dave just talking about his opinions than an actual standup routine.

Mahkor

Alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was pretty much the "he sounds like a great host" joke he did like 15 years ago, the press is overreacting as usual.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
it's weird seeing people quote some jokes as if he's saying this shit straight. Is fucked up humour not allowed anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.