• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Hollywood Grapples With Mass Layoffs as the Biz Redefines Itself for Streaming Future

Mass layoffs take their toll as the entertainment business redefines itself for a streaming future.

This is the winter of discontent for Hollywood workers, as no level of seniority has been spared from the wave of mass layoffs.

Warner Bros. has been shaken by two rounds of layoffs and a wholesale restructuring that have ushered out veterans with decades of service to the Hollywood studio.

NBCUniversal has rewired the structure of its TV content production and distribution operations, leading to hundreds of job cuts. ViacomCBS has periodically shed bodies by the dozens in the year since its two halves formally tied the knot again in December 2019. AMC Networks last week disclosed it will let go of 10% of its U.S. workforce, or about 100 staffers.

Discovery Inc., Sony Pictures and Lionsgate have also let sizable numbers of staffers go in 2020.

And Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman's short-form video streaming service Quibi shut down just six months after a much-ballyhooed launch last April, leaving thousands of executives jobless.

Layoffs are hard on any company. But the current round of downsizing among traditional entertainment giants is even more alarming for seasoned industry workers because the cuts reflect a momentous transition in the business needs at the major studio and network groups.

Market analysts see it as a painful but necessary byproduct of change.

"We've been saying that at some point the studios were going to have to rethink their business models, and now they're actually doing it," says Michael Nathanson, media analyst with MoffettNathanson. "I think these companies should have been planning this pivot earlier."

Media conglomerates that are shifting focus to direct-to-consumer and subscription-based platforms need a different kind of programming, marketing, distribution and sales expertise than has been prized in the modern era. Warner Bros. has shocked the industry with the volume of high-ranking executive departures in a short period. When the head of film marketing and head of TV marketing and some of their key lieutenants depart, it's an unmistakable signal from WarnerMedia and its parent company AT&T that the studio is planning to sell its wares to consumers in very different ways.

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus. These mega corps spent so much time on eating each other and massive profits, they never planned for the future where we need less humans working. Time to bail them out I guess

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the vaccine is sooner rather than later. But even then a lot of lives are going to screwed over for years over this mess.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I know it won't be the end of cinema but I'll miss the regular movies available to see at theatre. Glad I started investing in my home setup at least

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
It's tough seeing everyone in my industry struggle. From gig workers to employees of major companies. The lots of labor force will find jobs after the pandemic but the job insecurity is going to be even more terrible going forward.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman's short-form video streaming service Quibi shut down just six months after a much-ballyhooed launch last April, leaving thousands of executives jobless.
Damn, I guess Quibi might have had more employees than subscribers

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder how this will affect marvel films/shows.
so far, the production was very fluid and they were not afraid to make some drastic changes in the middle of production or post. that required a TON of money.

i dont think those huge budgets are sustainable for the next few years.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But an amazing time for actors, so many auditions pouring in all at once

thank the gods for streaming services

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Been a rough time for some. It's one thing for a single company to restructure and have layoffs, but when it's industry wide and during a global pandemic to boot where do you turn? All the networks and entertainment companies are cutting the fat and looking to software and tech to help increase efficiencies and drop staff, not hire up new people. Sadly a lot of industry vets might be worse of since they're more familiar with traditional broadcast television and not as much the streaming landscape, so their experience won't be all that valued. Was always gonna happen, but especially sucks given the state of the world right now.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been a rough time for some. It's one thing for a single company to restructure and have layoffs, but when it's industry wide and during a global pandemic to boot where do you turn? All the networks and entertainment companies are cutting the fat and looking to software and tech to help increase efficiencies and drop staff, not hire up new people. Sadly a lot of industry vets might be worse of since they're more familiar with traditional broadcast television and not as much the streaming landscape, so their experience won't be all that valued. Was always gonna happen, but especially sucks given the state of the world right now.
I feel bad, but in a lot of ways this corection was over due. it sucks its happening all at once b/c of the pandemic, but a lot of this felt like it was gunna happen soonor or later regardless.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel bad, but in a lot of ways this corection was over due. it sucks its happening all at once b/c of the pandemic, but a lot of this felt like it was gunna happen soonor or later regardless.
Without question. Covid may have accelerated it a bit, but this was already well under way before hand. Just makes the sting of it and impact on those affected a lot worse.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
i think they just consider any person working in an office an "executive."

its not like they had a production staff or anything like that. they were a tech company.

To be fair I'd still be shocked if they had thousands working in an office somewhere even if they weren't all executives. Quibi has to be the biggest 'who the heck thought this was a good idea' thing of the year.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My friend in England is a PA who mainly works in Hollywood films. I hope she still has a job in a few months :-(

Last edited: