• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
It might be tolerable if the game wasn't like 50 hours long and the map wasn't absolutely gigantic.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
For a game this good there's a ton to hate about it. Beat the main game, and I can say that I never once appreciated how the map system made me get extra lost and confused. Just more tedium on an already too big world with slow movement and lousy fast travel. Also it was too difficult for me, though that's partially my fault for only upgrading my weapon once. A well-designed game that just doesn't want me to enjoy it, which is a pity.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The upgrade pacing is pretty wack compared to Metroid. You won't start finding much in the way of health and soul upgrades until the second half.

I think the developers overdid it a bit with the map stuff. In games like Dark Souls you can get away with no map system because it's in 3D with numerous landmarks that you can orient yourself with using the camera. But most rooms in a given area in HK look nearly identical, which doesn't mesh that well with the very limited mapping system. It's easy to get lost and not know why.
This is the problem I had with Salt and Sanctuary. Hollow Knight isn't as bad because there is actually a map, but before you find the map maker it can be slightly frustrating.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Two map issues really hampered my enjoyment. Having to find the map guy and the fact that without map guy it doesn't track where you've been, even with that upgrade. Like, why can't my guy make his own map while traversing? Every new area pissed me off because of this.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I never had a problem with the map system. I guess I just enjoyed the feeling of being lost in a strange land. The fact that you have to waste a charm slot to see where you are on the map is a little dumb, but it's a pretty minor gripe tbh.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the perfect sweet spot would be to get rid of the need to buy maps from the map maker, and let the player be able to draw the map themselves straight from the get go when you get to benches.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Game would not be the same without the map and death mechanics. I don't know. I enjoyed feeling like I was lost and over my head versus exploring and discovering.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I thought the map mechanic were great, I played the entirety of Dark Souls 1 without ever looking up anything on the internet, it took me like 100 hours my first time, I was lost like half of the time, it was glorious.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I enjoyed Hollow Knight a lot more (or maybe because) I used a full spoiler map to find all the things.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You have just said everything I wanted to say about Hollow Knight.
I gave up the game 5hrs in and have no intention to ever going back, the exploration pacing just didn't work for me.
I also do not like the color palette. I understand they wanted a color theme for an area, but i just find it dull. I need more variation.

I am glad that others enjoy it though.

I made it all the way through, but it was a tedious experience. Some people just like games that are lengthy and slow and dull, full of mechanics to make them lengthier and slower and duller.

Oct 27, 2017
Really my only problem with it is that the death mechanic is really inconvenient in the tricky platforming segments, which is compounded by everything being expensive and the
bank being bogus
Otherwise I'm having fun with only getting map updates at the checkpoints.

Last edited:

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I adjusted but it took a few zones. I'm one to go the right way after exploring the extra paths but this game didn't let me do that. After 15+ hours im just exploring new areas without letting the unknown get to me. How far away/few fast travel points are is a minor issue, let me get to where I wanna get quick.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Strange this thread popped up the exact same day I went back to playing the game after leaving it for a whole year (love the game but was only playing it on Switch during a holiday and never went back to it after returning home).

I think OP perfectly highlights my only issues with game, I think the problems are further exacerbated because each little section of the level is divided up into so many little rooms that you're constantly having to rely on the map to see just where you are at any given point in time and the fact that your resources (GEO) is very valuable at certain parts of the game so you just don't want to be losing too much of it. They further add insult to injury by making a charm that uses a valuable notch slot just for seeing where the hell you are on the map (this is stupid imo).

I think if they improved the fast travel (should be allowed to warp to any bench) the back tracking would be less cumbersome, I'm currently loving my time with it but the back tracking is really eating into my limited free time.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I completely agree with OP. Can't lie, the knockback on hit alone made me stop playing the game. The map mechanic was also annoying. I found the world dull and way too dark for the most part. I can see how ppl might like the game, but it's just not for me. Shout-out to gamepass for that guacamelee 2 tho!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
The map guy hums and drops his papers in the area around him. He's extremely easy to find 90% of the time. Maybe too easy.

Oct 31, 2017
I quite liked the sense of dread I got in exploring some unmapped areas, and the relief upon finding the map maker. Built some nice tension that made it memorable and played nicely with the atmosphere.

Also, being able to get your geo back from your shade is more forgiving than resetting your save file after a game over screen, even if it doesn't seem that way.

OP
OP
Nov 1, 2017
I've decided on a compromise for my own sanity. One thing that i really don't like is a game that doesn't respect the players time and i personally feel that HK leans a little too hard on this. To me this map finding thing seems to be a way to artificially extend the game that by the looks of it is already large and expansive enough to not need that kind of padding. So i've decided when i enter a new area to just look at a map online and guide myself straight to the map maker so i can get on with the enjoyable parts of the game and minimise the aspects of it that i find shitty. Once i have it i wont use a guide and it's back to me playing "properly". It's gonna spoil the general layout for me but my memory is dodgy enough that it's not something i'll be able to remember perfectly anyway.

This might sound like sacrilege, and yes i know that I will be cheating not only the game, but myself. I won't grow. I won't improve. I'll take a shortcut and gain nothing. I'll experience a hollow (HA!) victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

(god bless that Sekiro meme)

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It's the worst part of the game by far, the amount of time I wasted aimlessly lost was insane. Luckily I bought this on Switch, can't imagine playing this sitting in front of a big ass TV lost half the time.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
The map stuff and the Dark Souls death mechanic really put me off the game. Might finish it eventually but it felt really tedious.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Finding the map maker in each section plays into the sense scale of the game. Personally I didn't find it tedious (requires zero management) though I did get lost a bunch.

I get that it's not as sexy compared to items but i found that it played into my overall sense of progress and I grew to love the little puzzle of not only getting to new areas, but really knowing them. Besides, listening for the map makers humming or spotting his spent quills is full of character.

Last edited:

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The map is garbage, i fully agree with you on that, its annoying how it wont update unless i go to a bench. I hope the sequel cuts these annoying things out the game

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I LOVED the game, but I'd definitely agree their approach to the map is a little too hardcore. Personally, I didn't have so much of an issue with having to find the map maker for each section, but on top of that not know where on the map you are without the charm equipped and not updated it until you hit a bench? That's taking it a bit far.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as I saw the lack of a map when I bought this on switch I dropped this game harder as a rock you wouldn't even believe it

It's terrible design in huge metroidvanias to not have maps. I can live without them in metroidvanias with simple areas that are easy to distinguish but stuff like HK requires a guide or printout map just to navigate properly and know where to go, otherwise you end up in a totally wrong side areas not related to the main quest at all. The fangamer map looks super handy and I'm kinda wanting to buy one to help me out but it's also stupid that it's not an in-game thing. It's not like NES metroid where maps didn't really exist back then (And even THAT i got kinda memorized after time since it's a smaller world size and the different areas), but everything in Hollow Knight looks way too dark and samey. I hoped all the updates would make them add a freaking map or at least early game areas that weren't dark but i guess not

You must have dropped it after like 5 minutes. The game has a map. Some people don't like how the map system is setup(you need to find a seller in each area), but I don't personally get the complaints. The guy is almost always super easy to find, and I think people underestimate themselves if they thing they're gonna immediately get lost and be impossible to figure out what to do without a map. It's really not that bad.

The only issue I had with the map system is that pointing out where you were on the map should have been free and not cost a notch.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The mapping system is one of the best decisions they made in the game. It is WHY the game feels exploratory and has a great sense of discovery and danger. You aren't just instantly seeing the structure as you encounter them, removing all mystery. You have to somewhat map things out in your mind, remember your way back etc. And once you have gotten far enough yourself you come across the map maker which is a huge relief.
Agreed. And honestly I was fine with the map system at launch, before they added the paper trial that makes it way easier to find Cornifer.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The most famous examples of Metroidvania's (i.e. Super Metroid and Castlevania SotN) will fill out the map automatically as you explore and SM also does have map stations that will show the rest (barring hidden areas) of the current map. HK doesn't allow you to see your own progress that you're making until you find the map for that area. And it seems some areas don't let you get the maps until lategame which is just mean.

i mean, i know that, i have like 30 hours into hollow knight, but never thought the map system was that different from other metroivanias

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
The map system was one of my favorite things from the game. Just exploring felt more rewarding once you found a bench.

I need to reinstall Hollow Knight. It's a gosh darn masterpiece.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's why I haven't made it more than 2hrs in yet. The game feels like a slog and I don't even remotely understand how people are comparing this to 2D Metroid when those games feel so much snappier and intuitive.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is why I stopped playing hollow Knight. How can anyone enjoy these "maps"?

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to know I'm not the only one who had a trouble with that.

I just stopped playing it completely. It was annoying and drained all the fun for me.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I got some pretty damn good spacial memory, so it wasn't too big of an issue for me, but sometimes you just can't find Cornifer and it drove me up the wall.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Getting lost was honestly one of my favourite parts of the game. Sorry that you're not having fun.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was frustrated at first but once you see you've got to a new area, the hunt for the map seller begins. It became quite enjoyable for me in the end.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
So the game restricts proper map tracking and progress until you pick up a few items, which seems dumb but they are early enough in the game that it wasn't a huge deal. But the kicker is you need to find the map maker and buy his map for each new area you encounter before you can see yourself and the areas you've covered.
Pfff, that's nothing.

La Mulana (my favourite Metroidvania by far) does all that AND doesn't even allow you to read hints on tablets within levels until you buy an item.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm there with you OP. I completed the game and while it has some good things going for it the map system really left a stain on my experience with it.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I just bought Hollow Knight on Switch and now I'm wary of ever playing it at all. Whoops.

I struggle greatly with disorientation in games and rely greatly on maps. I got lost in Super Metroid so much because the map didn't include certain information (impassable sections etc).

I quit Yoku's Island Delivery after a few hours of being completely lost, especially as the game was filled with one-way routes and tangles.

Maps are an accessibility feature and a critical quality of life improvement. I'd challenge those of you that are replying with 'easy for me' to consider how games might feel for others.