• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best game

• Cuphead

Votes: 197 10.6%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 853 46.0%
  • Hades

Votes: 484 26.1%
  • Celeste

Votes: 319 17.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it does. If Cuphead, which had Microsoft money thrown behind it during development, counts-- it should. SoR4 probably counts and is sadly missing from this poll too.

Also, Blazing Chrome is such a better run n gun than Cuphead...
This is why I pretty much only trust the opinions of hardcore Genesis/Mega Drive fans when it comes to 2d indie games. ;)

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does Ori not count?

I own all 4 of these games and the only one I've beaten to completion was cuphead so that's my answer.

Cuphead > Hades > Hollow Knight > Celeste

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Celeste has way too much platforming for my like and I don't like rouge-like...so, hollow knight for me, easy choice :)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
4Ever Transit Authority.

But my real answer is Mutazione. Legit i think it is a better and stronger and more important game than the listed.

Jan 11, 2018
Does Ori not count?

I own all 4 of these games and the only one I've beaten to completion was cuphead so that's my answer.

Cuphead > Hades > Hollow Knight > Celeste

OP seemed to just pick their personal favorites. Of course there are several other titles over the last 5 years that deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Out of those? Hollow Knight. I think Hades will decline in oomph after a bit when the zeitgeist dies down a little, I personally felt the story in Celeste was painfully on the nose, and Cuphead just isn't my thing.

Jan 21, 2021
Out of these games my pick has to be Cuphead since I've played it through so many times, but my personal favourites from the past few years are the Circular games by Bithell Games; Subsurface Circular and Quarantine Circular.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
All four are sublime, but if anything it really shines a spotlight on just how many incredible indies we get these days. There's a long list. You could easily avoid most if not all aaa games and still have too much to play. We're spoiled.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hollow Knight > Hades > Cuphead = Celeste

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of those? Hollow Knight. I think Hades will decline in oomph after a bit when the zeitgeist dies down a little, I personally felt the story in Celeste was painfully on the nose, and Cuphead just isn't my thing.
People have been singing the praises of Hades for over two years. It's one of the best roguelites ever made and will be remembered as a true classic.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
Wow. Disappointed to see Cuphead with so few votes. It's my favorite in the poll* and also the one I think has the biggest chance succeeding in the future. Wouldn't be surprised if Cuphead becomes a multi genre franchise like Mario. Cuphead Kart, Cuphead Party etc.

Last edited:

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Out of those it's Hades, but my favorite indie game in the last 5 years and probably ever is What Remains of Edith Finch.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Oh man...I love all four of these, but would probably rank Hades and Hollow Knight ahead...I just can't decide between those two 😅 I'd be tempted to go with Hades as I did take to its characters more but HK was no slouch in that department. Both play amazingly and completely hooked me.

This is a very good selection in any case, I'd happily consider these four of the best indie games of the past several years also!

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew Valley is the indie that's given me the most joy, but all of these games are great and I'm glad to be living in a time when the indie boom is going so strong.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight out of that and Celeste for ones I've played. Super Meat Boy did Celeste's type of gameplay better a decade ago.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Hollow Knight, but I think SteamWorld Dig 2 should be part of this list as well. One of the all time greats, IMO.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Hades the most. But Hollow Knight is very good too. Not thrilled about platformers, so Celeste is out.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for Hades over Hollow Knight by the thinnest of margins. I could probably go back and forth on that one though; both are great and probably my two favorite indies of the past 5-10 years. I bounced off of Cuphead and never played Celeste, though that's no comment on them and mostly just due to personal genre preferences.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It's Hollow Knight for quite a distance, the game's a masterpiece.

Hades and Celeste are probably tied, I like Celeste story the most but combat in Hades is excellent.

Cuphead has incredible visuals and sound but I'm not a fan of the game structure.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Celeste yet, but I can safely say, out of the other three, Hollow Knight takes the crown. One of the best games I've played last gen. Hades is a close second.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
My vote goes to Celeste, because one of my friends worked in the title, but also because it helped me dealing with depression. But I loved all the titles in the poll and is so great to see indie titles being so celebrated and loved.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Seems mighty early to throw Hades in this, but my personal vote would be for Cuphead, even if Hollow Knight is probably the most "solid" of them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd vote for Into the Breach over all of those, also Huntdown, Aggelos and Steamworld Dig 2.

But out of those four, Hollow Knight.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Celeste is GOAT.

I still don't like Hollow Knight's design and found the level design unintuitive for a metroidvania and it just never hooked me.

Hades is good, and easily GOTY last year.

Never liked Cuphead.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Hades yet because im waiting for a PS4/5 release. But easily Hollow knight. Cuphead is also great but Hollow Knight I would of paid £40 quid for it was that good.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Hollow Knight. I'm replaying it right now and it's simply sublime. Hades is a good second, but it doesn't hold a candle to Hollow knight.

Loved Celeste as well, but bounced off of Cuphead.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Hades yet.

Between the other three, I'd say Hollow Knight. I stopped playing it suddenly a year ago but I really liked what I played. Celeste I've played more recently, and while I think it's a brilliant platformer, Hollow Knight is more my kind of game. Cuphead is good but if it weren't for the art style and animation, I probably wouldn't like it as much.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the list celeste is my fav

Off the list, nothing touches kentucky route zero/disco elysium/outer wilds/anodyne 2, for me

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
Hollow Knight for me, that game is so good. Although Celeste and Hades are also fantastic. The only one of these that never really clicked with me is Cuphead.