• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, this came out of nowhere. Loved the first one, but I jumped on the train pretty late in the game (Godmaster). I only vaguely remember the Kickstarter campaign for this; would have backed for sure if I could have at the time.
Woah that is generous of them. Tho i feel i should gift a copy, just to show my support.
Too early to claim? đź‘€

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Now, this is the type of games and gaming we should aim for. Not that corporate bullshit. Let's go back to when they made the source codes available after a few years.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
That's really nice of them!! And I wouldn't worry about them making money at all. There was only about 2,000 backers which is nothing compared to what they'll sell overall either. They definitely made the right call in that case.

3 million is also a great result, congrats to them

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Holy Shit!

2.8 x $15 = 42 Million Dollars (I know it was kickstarted)! Then factor in Pub cut and it's 29 Million Dollars, literally overnight millionaires that get to do what they love! That's the dream! Congrats to them! It's not even done selling yet either, probably just a got 1000s more purchases because of this announcement! I NEED a physical for collection!

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
That's awesome. Nice to see them succeeding. I wasn't a Kickstarter backer, but I did purchase the game on Steam and Switch. I plan on buying the new game on Switch probably. Maybe a few different platforms as it is a nice jump in/out type platformer.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Hollow Knight must have been a beast on the Switch for them to prioritize that platform. I remember how quickly it shot up and remained on eShop charts the minute it stealth dropped.
The game certainly did very well on Switch, but I think the primary motivation for prioritising Switch is because they need to give it to Kickstarter backers as part of their stretch goal obligations, which includes backers (like myself) who opted for the Switch version. The PS4 and XB1 versions of Hollow Knight were never offered as kickstarter rewards, so there isn't the same obligation to get this game up on those platforms. Given the size of the team the strategy makes sense. Get the game out to backers first and then worry about porting the game elsewhere.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Looking forward to getting the original ver for the Switch here soon. Probably won't have time to finish it though but at least I'll check it out. I love the looks of it after seeing it in motion. Beautiful animation

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not even a little bit upset that i missed the kickstarter, HK1 was more than worth what i paid for it and i'm sure silksong will be the same

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Own the first one on 3 platforms, I'll probably do it again and hope for a physical edition down the road. This bundled with the first game physically would be awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, the backers were already promised getting the Hornet DLC for free. Now that it's a full game, they're just continuing to honor that backer promise.

Sk17

Jan 5, 2019
Only 2.8 million? This game deserves so many more copies sold! Especially at its price point.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I was so happy to see the SilkSong trailer.
I wasn't an original backer and honestly I didn't even really know about the game until last summer. I only picked it up because it was showcased on Nintendies and I saw multiple threads on sites saying it was really good.
It sat on my Switch for months because Skyrim hooked me hard and I only started playing it last month when I wanted to start digging in to my backlog.

I initially thought it was a 10-15 hr platforming romp. Once I hit the 10hr mark was when I realized that I was nowhere close to finishing the game. Once I hit 30hrs and was just starting to hit 'the end' was when I felt bad that this game only charged $15 for what is basically $60+ expansion pack price.
I will GLADLY pay full price for the sequel. They deserve it. Can't wait to make Hollow Knight a GOTY again.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
Going to buy physical as soon as it releases. Got to have that in my collection. Hopefully, the sequel gets a physical release as well.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
That's a win.

Will still buy another copy just for my switch and have a PC copy from the kickstarter.

So happy this game became such a success.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The trailer is magnificent. It reminded me that I still needed to finish Hollow Knight, so I turned it back on today. Turns out took a break right before fighting Hollow Knight. I finished with 79% completion. I know there is still heaps for me to do though, I'll eventually get back in to it fully.

I love these developers, makes me proud to be Australian.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Classy move. I'll be very happy to buy the PS4 release when it hits.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely deserved. Don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say it's one of the finest, most well crafted games I've ever had the privelige to play.

Deleted member 30935

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
That's almost irresponsibly nice of them. I want them to have more money to make more things.

Still, amazing of them to do this.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Everyone who wants to throw more money at Team Cherry should buy copies of Silk Song for friends and family who wouldn't ordinarily purchase it. Spread the love and get Hollow Knight into the eyes and minds of millions more!