• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
6ctjep8ykig21.jpg

From /r/hollowknightmemes

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was wonderful. Can people also stop banging on about the direct? Not everything has to be in it and it's obvious the developers wanted to announce it their own way. Makes it even more special too as it not being bogged down by other news.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What Metroidvania game does this even. There is no need for that stuff.
Every Symphony-style Castlevania game (the gold standard of the series and this genre), Dust: An Elysian Tail (one of the highest-rated indie metroidvanias ever), Salt and Sanctuary (arguably the best 2D Soulslike), and dozens of other good games that didn't garner as much praise (Death's Gambit, Chasm, etc).

Of course, it's fine if this is the devs' vision, but I think it's a glaring flaw that absolutely limits the game's appeal to ARPG enthusiasts that would otherwise flock to it.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight should only be around 20 hours for a true ending run though, is this including all of the sidequests and DLC content?

Is this assuming you're using a guide or something? I've got 30+ hours in my first playthrough and haven't even reached 100%. Beat the game, but got a shitty ending.

I don't see how anybody finishes this game in 20 hours on a first play through without assistance.

Super excited about this sequel. Hollow Knight was amazing.

Every Symphony-style Castlevania game (the gold standard of the series and this genre), Dust: An Elysian Tail (one of the highest-rated indie metroidvanias ever), Salt and Sanctuary (arguably the best 2D Soulslike), and dozens of other good games that didn't garner as much praise (Death's Gambit, Chasm, etc).

Of course, it's fine if this is the devs' vision, but I think it's a glaring flaw that absolutely limits the game's appeal to ARPG enthusiasts that would otherwise flock to it.

It's not a flaw just because you want an easy way to get around the well designed enemy and boss encounters. Besides, it's an indie game that has sold almost 3 million copies. Seems to have found its audience.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. I love it.

It looks like they are addressing my main criticism of HK by adding more fluid movement and combat. Looks amazing. Gotta finish the first still, but I'm so excited for this.

Also, Hornet is just so cool. Every time I have encountered her I kept thinking, "man I wish I could play as her too."

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i still haven't been able to process the fact that we're getting a whole-ass, full blown hollow knight sequel that looks this good
it's like a dream

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017

Salt and Sanctuary looks pretty good, will need to check that one out. But as for HK, im glad they didn't implement that kind of stuff. The notches make it great for experimenting different playstyles but you were always depending on your own skills for dodging, attacking etc. Not some stat you could have grinded for a couple of hours.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Looks fantastic and surprisingly far along. Hornet's moveset looks sublime.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know when this is set, chronologically? I'm wondering how it ties in with the original's story.
I'm taking a punt at sequel both in game and story, Hornet seemed pretty tied to Hallownest for personal plot reasons, and with the first game potentially resolving said reasons, there's nothing to suggest she wouldn't go and explore far off lands now.

Daniel Souza

Oct 9, 2018
The lack of confirmation on a PS4 version worries me a lot. Loved the first game, platinum'ed with 89 hours and was really looking forward to play this sequel (or DLC, until yesterday). Can't afford a switch in Brazil where a game costs 1/3 of the average wage, also can't play on PC because I know i will be distracted alt+tabbing until I drop the game. Expect them to atleast give us some insight about the other versions.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
i wonder how many people that praise the hell out of this game actually completed it. I love it to death but could only go as far as the 14hour mark.

I've put 45 hours into it and will be putting a lot more in before Silksong releases and I'd consider it one of the best game I've ever played.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary looks pretty good, will need to check that one out. But as for HK, im glad they didn't implement that kind of stuff. The notches make it great for experimenting different playstyles but you were always depending on your own skills for dodging, attacking etc. Not some stat you could have grinded for a couple of hours.
But that would remain the same for expert players. A leveling system, if done right like in Souls and the RPG Castlevanias, is an optional supplement to the player's skills, not an outright substitute.

I beat everything in the first game, including the optional bosses, but the challenge stopped being fun after a while. I've never had that in any of the games I mentioned, where you can always mitigate the uber-challenges just enough by tackling everything else first and beefing your character up. In HK, you either bang your head against a wall until it crumbles, or you give up.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
But that would remain the same for expert players. A leveling system, if done right like in Souls and the RPG Castlevanias, is an optional supplement to the player's skills, not an outright substitute.

I beat everything in the first game, including the optional bosses, but the challenge stopped being fun after a while. I've never had that in any of the games I mentioned, where you can always mitigate the uber-challenges just enough by tackling everything else first and beefing your character up. In HK, you either bang your head against a wall until it crumbles, or you give up.
I don't think every game needs a level systematic, they could add an easy mode, but a oeveling system would kill the balance of the game.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Is it still not an RPG?

I thought the first game was okay, but it still couldn't touch Symphony or Aria of Sorrow because of the lack of leveling and the limited abilities. Most players won't be able to scratch the endgame/optional bosses.

This makes no sense.

There's no lack of "leveling". Your character gets stronger throughout the game by finding mask shards to have more life, vessel fragments to have more soul and pale ore to improve your weapon so you can do more damage. There's also plenty of charms that make you stronger. This encourages exploration which is one of the strongest points in this game since the world is huge and full of secrets.

It's pretty well balanced as is, there was absolutely no need for more stats and exp or stuff like that.

i still haven't been able to process the fact that we're getting a whole-ass, full blown hollow knight sequel that looks this good
it's like a dream

True, seems unreal.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely obsessed with HK again. Spent my morning reading about the lore (should be working but oh well... lol)

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
So, I'm not a t-shirt person at all (except as underwear, I suppose) but I just went and bought the Hornet tee because it does look cool but mostly just to give them more of my money as I feel almost embarrassed about how little I've paid for the entertainment so far and, presumably, in the future.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight was probably the best Metroidvania we've seen since Castlevania and Metroid respectively vanished nearly a decade ago from frequent releases.

And these dudes are already pumping out game two, dayum.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

Not everyone has to complete everything and the game is certainly not worse off for lacking a means to trivialize it. You're holding it to your personal expectations for the genre when its clearly coming from an entirely different angle with regards to those design decisions.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

SOTN might be one of the "gold standards," but Super Metroid is another and it didn't have any way to grind your way to trivializing the game's content (that game is pretty easy, but that's neither here nor there). It's not designed to be an ARPG; there are light RPG elements like upgrading your nail, increasing your masks, and making a charm build, but in the end it's an action game through and through. If people want it to be easier they can A) run Hiveblood and Joni's Blessing to get lots of extra life B) run minion charms that attack for them so they can just focus on dodging or C) use a guide. You'll still have to practice boss patterns to beat some of them, but that's just playing the game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is fucking insane. A full sequel. And it looks glorious. (Yes, I took the liberty of appending this to the thread title because holy shit!)

And free for backers? My SO is a backer so this will be free for us both (through Steam's family sharing). I actually feel bad. I want to donate money to these guys so I might just buy it again anyway.

Team Cherry is too good for this world. We don't deserve them. ;__;

omg

Edit:
LOL. Too real.

I've wanted a new 2D (real HD 2D, not 2 1/2D shit) Metroid for so long, but you know what... this'll more than do.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think HK needs leveling systems or anything like that, it's already a better game than any castlevania or metroid game.

Hell I'd say the final nail upgrade makes it OP.

Not OP enough for the pantheon of hallownest D:

Shame we never got those glorified charms in Godmaster, I assume they would make you stronger.

If you haven't seen it yet, it's amazing lol

The dream nail part killed me xD

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm taking a punt at sequel both in game and story, Hornet seemed pretty tied to Hallownest for personal plot reasons, and with the first game potentially resolving said reasons, there's nothing to suggest she wouldn't go and explore far off lands now.

Not yet. My guess would be before. A prequel of sorts.

resetera.gif :D

Thanks for the clarification (about not being yet known). Really interested to see where they take this plot-wise, considering how the plot of the original is so inextricably linked to Hollownest and all that's happening there.

LesPaul

Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I still have not finished Hollow Knight but what I played already I really loved it. I will definitely get this. The traversal options look amazing.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
After beating Hollow Knight, I've been eagerly waiting for the Hornet expansion. Super excited tbat it's a full-fledged sequel versus a tacked on feature to the first game!

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about all of the NPCs in this one. They were so well done in the first, it was a shame that they were so few and far between. They were a true highlight of the game, and it looks here like they have just as much character and charm.

Also, the traversal in this game looks vastly improved. Some parts reminded me of Ori, in a great way.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight has some crazy lore as well. It's very similar to Dark Souls, where the story is understated but the world itself rather deep.

Apparently the developers made the worlds first, and added the lore elements later.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Damn, they didn't give us any sort of ETA on this, which really sucks because I NEED IT.

Hollow Knight was one of those games that I honestly wasn't impressed with at first, but gradually became a classic in my eyes by the time I was done with it.

I just hope that they put a ton more fast travel stations in this once compared to the last. The first Hollow Knight had a huge problem with having to CONSTANTLY backtrack to get anywhere, and I really hope that they alleviate the issue in the sequel.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
TEAM CHERRY TO THE RESCUE!!!! 😂😂😭😭🤩🤩

This game looks INCREDIBLE!!! This team are absolute wizards and masters of their craft. Guaranteed sale from me!

On a personal note, this game absolutely saved the day for me. I was very down and disgusted by the Bloodstained reveal in the direct yesterday. After backing that game and then being way let down with the ridiculous character design and now ESRB rating of Nudity, there is no freaking way I will support or play that.

LONG LIVE HOLLOW KNIGHT!

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody's getting True Ending in around 20 hours on their first play through, especially not if they're playing blind.
My first true end run was almost entirely blind, outside of using a guide to find the pale ore hidden in the Deepnest, and clocked in at about 19 hours with 96% completion. I did not get all of the mask shards and grubs and didn't do CoF which would've added maybe around two to three more hours.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, they didn't give us any sort of ETA on this, which really sucks because I NEED IT.

Hollow Knight was one of those games that I honestly wasn't impressed with at first, but gradually became a classic in my eyes by the time I was done with it.

I just hope that they put a ton more fast travel stations in this once compared to the last. The first Hollow Knight had a huge problem with having to CONSTANTLY backtrack to get anywhere, and I really hope that they alleviate the issue in the sequel.
They are tiny. 3 people. They've given dates before and were not able to meet them. It looks like this time they want to make sure things are near final before announcing a date.

Take your time, Team Cherry. I will be there lol.