• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Souls and fighting games having many similarities has been talked about a lot and I completely agree. This video does a good job at pointing out some of the reasons and is a good FG channel in general.

Oct 25, 2017
I never made that direct comparison myself but I do approach FROM games like I would a fighting game, even as far as using FGC terminology like in the video.

I can remember trying to teach people the concept of baiting and spacing to deal with AI hunters in Bloodborne for easy kills years ago.

Btw here's a cut of the Obama footage that was referenced in the vid, it's hilarious.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Do they? Because I'm pretty decent at Souls games and have never been more than trash at fighting games. lol

Yes, I understand what the video is trying to say.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I can see that, but it doesn't really feel like it to me. Mordhau would be my example for medieval swordfighting that feels like playing a fighting game, surprisingly so.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The input buffer and mistyped dodge punishes are very unique in video games in general. Not many games are purposefully designed to put players in a blender when they screw up/spam their dodge. In that sense the way you can get punished in Souls is very similar to FGs.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a minute since I've played it but off the dome I would say the venn diagram of Elden Ring and Soulcalibur has some decent overlap.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Kind of, sure. I mean I get it, a lot of people who whine about fighting games being too complex are still willing to spend 150 hours on elden ring, even though the mindset behind the core fundamentals of both games have a lot of overlap.

But Souls games victory as the penultimate state; You beat, let's say, Rom the Spider and go through that sweet dopamine rush of having done something that's pretty difficult but that you will also likely never do again, or if you do, it'll be 1, maybe 2 more times. The only place to go in a fighting game if you want to get good is online, and into deeper and deeper waters with fish that are a lot larger than you are.

The payoff carrot and stick nature of fighting games is abrasive by nature. You're either with it or you're not.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Do they? Because I'm pretty decent at Souls games and have never been more than trash at fighting games. lol

Yes, I understand what the video is trying to say.
If you have any sort of deliberacy to your button presses(opposite of button mashing) in fighting games you're better than most fighting game players.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of see it. But I still find fighting games completely impenetrable after playing every Souls game multiple times.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
If you have any sort of deliberacy to your button presses(opposite of button mashing) in fighting games you're better than most fighting game players.
I can't pull off combos. They've never been comfortable to me. Even the most basic ones, I can't do them. My attempts to learn fighting games fall apart when they ask me to do inputs I just can't do reliably.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Elden Ring especially, that's why I suck at it compared to other Souls hahaha

Now seriously it's kinda true, I used to play Fighting games a ton a few years back and while I don't play them anymore I always felt them and Hack and Slashes improved my reactions, not by much tho they are getting inconsistent as time goes on, but substantially enough

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really argue with any of that tbh. Good video.

I can't pull off combos. They've never been comfortable to me. Even the most basic ones, I can't do them. My attempts to learn fighting games fall apart when they ask me to do inputs I just can't do reliably.
You don't really need combos.

(Also combos - and their necessity/importance - vary wildly from game to game. A combo in Street Fighter is much different from a combo in say, Marvel where you can simply press 3 buttons in sequence.)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just video game strats in general, really, but yeah I'd say Souls actually being designed to put up a challenge brings its resemblance close to the principles of competitive fighting games.

A lot of games allow for a lot of flexibility and breathing room in interacting with the challenges and that's perfectly fine, Souls being designed particularly to challenge players means it pushes it closer into more reaction and options-based decision making like fighting games.

EDIT: This is a much more nuanced way of explaining how I feel like my experience struggling with (and enjoying) the first Dark Souls in 2011 made me an overall better player of video games. Fighting games included. Sharpened my habits and on-the-fly thinking down much more than it ever was before.

I don't think of myself as a "good" gamer now, but I'm definitely a smarter one than I was before 2011.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Even if i am not good at fighting games, the fighting game mentality is a huge help in understanding what to do about spacing and reading the opponent. Fighting for your life at every second is a new experience for newcomers, it takes time to get used to it all but even knowing how to fight in general is a huge help in understanding what to do, of course that takes patience.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I haven't watched the video yet but I'm a big fighting game person and had I been saying this since I first played ds1. I think that's part of why I like the souls games so much

Oct 26, 2017
I've recently been playing through the first Nioh, it's my first "Souls-like" game. And, I feel like 80% of my combat is just spacing around my enemy, waiting for an attack, especially against revenants. Just doing SF style shimmys waiting for them to attack so I can punish, and then break their stamina/ki with subsequent attacks.

Incidentally, if you want another action game that can teach you fighting game footsies, play the Ys series.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Can't really argue with any of that tbh. Good video.

You don't really need combos.

(Also combos - and their necessity/importance - vary wildly from game to game. A combo in Street Fighter is much different from a combo in say, Marvel where you can simply press 3 buttons in sequence.)
This, for example I suck at combos in Marvel but in something like Tekken I feel really comfortable, not to mention in some games not knowing combos can be mitigated by finding other ways to punish your opponent

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have various combos that I input for things, like in a group of enemies, after killing one I sometimes go:

Jump -> rotate camera -> lock on -> R2 in quick succession so I do it all in one jump.

Not sure if this is part of what the video discusses, bookmarking it for later.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I've felt like this ever since the PvE of Dark Souls ingrained the concepts of PvP-style baiting, commitment and punishing into so many players, as well as recognizing builds and archetypes and the mechanics of different matchups.

The "Souls" games also have a ton of straight mechanical execution to them even in less-directs ways like camera control during encounters and understanding the breakpoints of your moveset and skills.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of beginner FG players just throwing out attacks non-stop. Not mashing, but more like repeatedly attempting to get a move or something. All the while, they're not paying any attention to what the opponent is doing. As a result, they get blown up over and over again because they're not blocking or evading or doing anything defensively-minded. Imagine playing a Souls game that way.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I have various combos that I input for things, like in a group of enemies, after killing one I sometimes go:

Jump -> rotate camera -> lock on -> R2 in quick succession so I do it all in one jump.

Not sure if this is part of what the video discusses, bookmarking it for later.
Then you miss the target because sometimes your character even locked on misses jump attacks hahaha, but now seriously kinda, the video focuses more on the positioning aspect but that is also a factor

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I'm surprised he is slow to make this connection, and is only assigning the analog to Souls games.

All games where I fight enemies in hand-to-hand combat, while relying on timing and spacing, tap into my decades of fighting game experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah lots of actions games can do that considering the similarities and general principles of spacing and timing. Waiting for the knight from Zelda to throw their chain ball so we can whiff punish. Difference is generally in single player games you have way more tools to avoid those types of interactions and push your advantage.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Come to think of it, i wouldn't mind a fighting game with Souls/Sekiro's cast, so many characters to use.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Is this not true of combat focused games and action games in general? A lot of the things that go into fighting games also came from beat 'em ups. Games like Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, etc all use similar kinds of mechanics.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
If only I could read and bait humans the way I can an AI. Really though the only way I ever tend to win matches online in Street Fighter in particular is an attempt at spacing and then dragon punching the people who reliably jump in at me. Lord knows I can't combo or react in time to a hit confirm off anything else.

Thankfully Souls doesn't usually require anywhere near as much dexterity and timing in its button presses for punishes. I'll just think like "ok I can queue two r1's after that attack whiffs".

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
If only I could read and bait humans the way I can an AI. Really though the only way I ever tend to win matches online in Street Fighter in particular is an attempt at spacing and then dragon punching the people who reliably jump in at me. Lord knows I can't combo or react in time to a hit confirm off anything else.

Thankfully Souls doesn't usually require anywhere near as much dexterity and timing in its button presses for punishes. I'll just think like "ok I can queue two r1's after that attack whiffs".
In Elden Ring you can't only think about the attack whiffing, you have to take into account the several counters bosses now have to shorten openings too, the complexity went off the charts for the better and worse I feel
Is this not true of combat focused games and action games in general? A lot of the things that go into fighting games also came from beat 'em ups. Games like Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, etc all use similar kinds of mechanics.
Yeah, and those games are even harder than Souls in higher difficulties(although I feel ER is approaching those levels), you have to learn the mechanics perfectly and your entire moveset, playing hack and slashes all my life prepared me for other games

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Given how thrash I am at fighting games relative to Souls, I can't really agree with this.

Okay, the video makes some decent points about stuff like reading opponents and managing space and timings and whatnot, and I guess that's true to an extent. But you could really make the same arguments for every action game. Or even most real time games in general.

But the controls, and the required muscle memory and mechanical skill, do not transfer over in the slightest. And Souls games also have waaaaaaaay more forgiving timings for every action, and are so much slower in general.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Elden Ring is grounded neutral footsie

And just like all grounded neutral footsie, nobody wants to deal with that shit and so we pick the characters (weapons) that bypasses it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm surprised he is slow to make this connection, and is only assigning the analog to Souls games.

All games where I fight enemies in hand-to-hand combat, while relying on timing and spacing, tap into my decades of fighting game experience.

Yes but unless fromsoft invented it, it doesn't exist before.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Given how thrash I am at fighting games relative to Souls, I can't really agree with this.

Okay, the video makes some decent points about stuff like reading opponents and managing space and timings and whatnot, and I guess that's true to an extent. But you could really make the same arguments for every action game. Or even most real time games in general.

But the controls, and the required muscle memory and mechanical skill, do not transfer over in the slightest. And Souls games also have waaaaaaaay more forgiving timings for every action, and are so much slower in general.

Yeah, a lot of this also applies to say, NBA 2K. It's a lot of aspects of just... game design.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
fighting games have an advantage state. souls just has chipping away at a big guy's ankles until they fall down

Oct 25, 2017
Bone Fist + Caestus was my favorite DW combo in DS2 when I wasn't using a Blue Flame + Whip combo. I pretty much treated BoB and Iron Keep Bridge PvP like a fighting game when I wasn't playing Project M. Attack cancels, movement, parrys, guard breaks, invulnerable startup/moves and dodges - a lot of the basics are there. 860 hours in DS2 vanilla, and now I have 900 hours in Tekken 7.