• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Companies really need to hire vetting personell whose job is to do thorough background checks on people, especially with their social media activity.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
I cant defend this guy because his views are horrible but seeing the Twitter/internet mob come after this whole game scares me

As you all know, it takes hundreds of people to make any AAA game like this these days. After many years of wishing and hoping for an open world game from the long dormant HP game series, I would hate to see this project canceled because of a backlash

That would also mean hundreds of game devs out of a job and means of income during a pandemic. Not to mention the fact that Avalanche barely survived post Disney. The WB acquisition saved them

If you'd left this little snippet out, your failed attempt at a moral high ground might have passed us by.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think at one point someone needs to make a thread so people will understand that devs still get paid regardless of whether or not you buy a game or not due to whatever reasons you have (not counting indie since that's a hugely different area). The defense of "what about other devs making game" needs to die/people need to see that devs don't actually get residuals for making game and generally get paid for their work and then that's it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If you or someone else can, do it. I can't because mods won't allow me.

This seems to be the appropriate thread to discuss the matter (certainly more appropriate than this thread):
Personally I was beyond disgusted by the Blitzchung affair and how they handled it; and have boycotted their games ever since, but a forum-wide ban on Blizzard doesn't seem quite realistic right now given a) they're a much larger part of the gaming industry than WB, and b) they have made sure to cover their asses with plenty of plausible deniability (as opposed to Rowling and Leavitt who are making their stances aggressively clear). But perhaps you can mak a strong case for all Blizzard game OTs to have a disclaimer at the top a bit like the CP2077 OT had.

Anyway, this is my last post on the matter in this thread, to prevent derailing it any further.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What about Blizzard, a studio that not only treats its developers like trash, but also supports a genocidal and oppressive CCP government that kills hundreds of thousands and tortures more?
While that is an also important matter, it probably isn't a good look to bring that whataboutism into a thread about someone that used their platform to support a hate movement while also wearing the avatar of someone that did the exact same thing.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
He's worked at Avalanche software since at least 2004. i dont think its right to be constantly checking up on people to make sure they aren't being twats online, but it absolutely should have been dealt with better when it was discovered. ultimately we dont know the conversation that was had this that made WB okay with hiring the studio to make HL.

we need more answers really but its looks fucking awful on the face of it. it looks like he was grandfathered into the project because he has been there so long, its likely a bunch of the higher ups at the company are good friends with him and either share the same views, give him a pass becase they are mates or are hoping he changes his views over time. id love to know the story behind the curtain on this one.

WBs CEOs official stance is that its fine for their employee's to "Share opinions on social media", WB nor Avalanche was tricked or betrayed by this person or JK Rowling. They declined to even talk about it.

They knew, they just don't care.

Dec 2, 2017
I think it would be a great thing, either updating or making a new thread

it might be a lot of work, but having all that info in one opening post feels really effective imo, so easy to direct people right to it so they can see all the fuckery
The thread got locked, but I think its still worth reading as a collection of fuckery

www.resetera.com

JK Rowling is a transphobic bigot, and you shouldn't support her or Harry Potter.

Here's a new thread, with an OP of all her awfulness. Since an awful lot of Era seems like they don't care that Rowling is a bigot and just want to enjoy their Harry Potter video game. Also before someone asks, the definition of TERF TERF is an acronym for trans-exclusionary radical feminist...

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.

Will this be pinned as a forum announcement? I'd hate for users who aren't reading this thread to miss this announcement!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wasn't implying anyone was tricked. I just want to know their thought process i guess. there are a lot of LGBT people in the game dev community and there will be at Avalanche software. is it worth keeping someone like this around if its just going to alienate a load of your employees?

Their thought process is that they want to make money and don't care about people that are different from them.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread got locked, but I think its still worth reading as a collection of fuckery

www.resetera.com

JK Rowling is a transphobic bigot, and you shouldn't support her or Harry Potter.

Here's a new thread, with an OP of all her awfulness. Since an awful lot of Era seems like they don't care that Rowling is a bigot and just want to enjoy their Harry Potter video game. Also before someone asks, the definition of TERF TERF is an acronym for trans-exclusionary radical feminist...
... thread made me angry with people not wanting to see the shit she's talked about. Some people love having their heads in the sand going "BLAH BLAH BLAH I CANT HEAR YOU" and "WHAT ABOUT OTHER COMPANIES!!!"

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I cant defend this guy because his views are horrible but seeing the Twitter/internet mob come after this whole game scares me

As you all know, it takes hundreds of people to make any AAA game like this these days. After many years of wishing and hoping for an open world game from the long dormant HP game series, I would hate to see this project canceled because of a backlash

That would also mean hundreds of game devs out of a job and means of income during a pandemic. Not to mention the fact that Avalanche barely survived post Disney. The WB acquisition saved them

I bolded what I take issue with. It is not our responsibility to buy games to keep devs employed. This type of message needs to STOP. It was mentioned here, it was mentioned with Cyberpunk, and I'm sure it's been mentioned for other games before and other games that are to come.

I wasn't a fan of Harry Potter, so I had no intention of buying this game. Using the logic of the bolded, that means I'm punishing hard working devs. That's absurd. No one actually thinks every single video game should be bought. So my reason for not buying HP or any sort of Call of Duty (to give an example of another series I ignore), due to lack of interest, is seen as a valid reason. Yet wanting to not support a game due to a bigot, no matter how big or small? Suddenly it's "think of the devs"

No. That's not how this works and the "think of the devs" rhetoric needs to stop.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

www.resetera.com

The flip side to "let's ban all discussion of Hogwarts" and "let's make a single dedicated thread for JK" (that has barely been posted in this year) just means the game and related issues are going to get ignored/buried

If the majority of the community thinks that's the best approach that's fine, but if I felt so strongly about an issue I wouldn't personally go that route

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.

Good.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The flip side to "let's ban all discussion of Hogwarts" and "let's make a single dedicated thread for JK" (that has barely been posted in this year) just means the game and related issues are going to get ignored/buried

If the majority of the community thinks that's the best approach that's fine, but if I felt so strongly about an issue I wouldn't personally go that route
I wonder if there's a way for them to sticky the thread to the top in gaming but have it redirect to the thread in OT. So that way people can't ignore it (unless they use said ignore thread button) since apparently having threads do help get rid of troll/second accounts. And that people still show their ass and need their rhetoric challenged.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
... thread made me angry with people not wanting to see the shit she's talked about. Some people love having their heads in the sand going "BLAH BLAH BLAH I CANT HEAR YOU" and "WHAT ABOUT OTHER COMPANIES!!!"
The whataboutisms that some people love to throw is always infuriating. Like fam if you want to talk about a certain issue make a thread about it! Don't come giving me this ''but what about x, huh HUH?'' shit in a thread that is specifically about JK Rowling's transphobia ffs.

Sorry for the rant, but is shit is just hurgh.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

www.resetera.com

i imagine it's a thread that will be better received around when this lumbering butt hole of a game finally launches (seems to be having issues)

until then, I'll keep a watch on your original thread:

www.resetera.com

TERF JK Rowling continues to be a hateful bigot.

Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we’re going to make it official: News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things...

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whataboutisms that some people love to throw is always infuriating. Like fam if you want to talk about a certain issue make a thread about it! Don't come giving me this ''but what about x, huh HUH?'' shit in a thread that is specifically about JK Rowling's transphobia ffs.

Sorry for the rant, but is shit is just hurgh.
I think maybe I should just quote said people and tell them they sound like "all lives matter folk" since its just they don't care enough about people to make a thread but when a marginalized group gets attack they care enough to take the attention off of said group and make it about someone else....

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If your priority in fighting for a harmful IP to have a presence here is "cis people need to be educated tho" then just quit while you're behind. The point is incredibly tiresome, especially when it's perpetually presented by people for whom that burden of educating won't fall upon.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
If your priority in fighting for a harmful IP to have a presence here is "cis people need to be educated tho" then just quit while you're behind. The point is incredibly tiresome, especially when it's perpetually presented by people for whom that burden of educating won't fall upon.

The IP itself isn't harmful though, at least no more so than most other IPs. The issue is JK. I think the recent news that one of the devs is a twat is largely irrelevant. You've got teams of multiple hundreds of people working on AAA games. There's going to be more than one odious person working on every game in your collection,

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The IP itself isn't harmful though, at least no more so than most other IPs. The issue is JK. I think the recent news that one of the devs is a twat is largely irrelevant. You've got teams of multiple hundreds of people working on AAA games. There's going to be more than one odious person working on every game in your collection,
The IP is harmful since fans of it are drawn toward Rowling, give more weight to her words and feel an impulse to defend her. It can work to poison people's views of trans people as a result when their only exposure to their issues is through Rowling's misguided rants. So don't throw the "multiple hundreds of people working on games" at me, please. I'm keenly aware of how adoration for Harry Potter and Rowling's impact with her transphobia are intertwined.

z0mer

Banned
Jan 25, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Let's only promote our own "superior" opinion. Grow the fuck up.

maddieJ

Oct 27, 2017
South Portland, ME
I am so tired of people saying that they are getting the game but they don't support her views, like it makes it okay. Guess what, buying the game is supporting her views! You are giving her money, so she can continue to hurt trans people. I saw that sentiment popping up in the thread that was just banned and it just makes my blood boil. If you're going to buy the game, fine, just please stop announcing it. There's also seems to be a mentality that it's going to sell well anyways, so one more person buying it doesn't matter. It does matter.

Also, I will be really disappointed if there is an OT for this game and it makes me wary that it is still being discussed. Cyberpunk was one thing, but this is something very different. Having an OT still promotes discussion, which still promotes the game. I honestly don't think I will be able to stomach visiting this site if that is case.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is exactly why I'd like a thread to stay on the front page at all times. To clean the site of this shit <_<. Yes if you think trans rights are politics you are a fucking asshole.. They're basic human rights everyone is entitled to.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Also, I will be really disappointed if there is an OT for this game and it makes me wary that it is still being discussed. Cyberpunk was one thing, but this is something very different. Having an OT still promotes discussion, which still promotes the game. I honestly don't think I will be able to stomach visiting this site if that is case.
Can agree there, went into it earlier in the thread as to why that argument doesn't really apply in the same way as it did for that game:
Not sure the "I don't want to discuss it among bigots" line holds up here relative to, say, Cyberpunk. In the latter instance there was content there that was bigoted and it was lapped up by an actively-bigoted crowd because it was harmful. Here the issue is less the content of the game and more helping to prop up adoration and respect for a franchise whose fame and renown is being used to turn public and political perception against the trans community. Not just in terms of game discourse but in terms of real, detrimental effects in real life.

I'm sure you could go to Reddit to discuss the game without people being actively bigoted alongside you. The fear can't be that anyone who plays the game is bigoted because, well, you're looking to discuss it while playing it lol. So it kind of falls apart. It just comes off as an easily repeated line learned from defences for why CDPR content was allowed. The two aren't comparable though, in material or consequence.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
By the way, Jason Schreier tweeted about this game being banned on Era, so expect a major uptick in people with 20 posts in 3 years adding their two cents.

->
This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.
I'm reading this as there will be more threads if more issues arise?

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I am so tired of people saying that they are getting the game but they don't support her views, like it makes it okay. Guess what, buying the game is supporting her views! You are giving her money, so she can continue to hurt trans people. I saw that sentiment popping up in the thread that was just banned and it just makes my blood boil. If you're going to buy the game, fine, just please stop announcing it. There's also seems to be a mentality that it's going to sell well anyways, so one more person buying it doesn't matter. It does matter.

JK is rich as fuck. The horse has long ago bolted on having a platform. At this point whether people buy the game is irrelevant to the point of her having a platform. Her platform has been established by the books that sold millions.

Going after people who want to play the game is pointless and counterproductive

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
If you'd left this little snippet out, your failed attempt at a moral high ground might have passed us by.

I mean, this has always been at the heart of the "support the devs" rhetoric. There's a reason that people stopped using that to defend Cyberpank when it was revealed to be a bad game. Nice to see someone say the quiet part outloud though.

JK is rich as fuck. The horse has long ago bolted on having a platform. At this point whether people buy the game is irrelevant to the point of her having a platform. Her platform has been established by the books that sold millions.

Going after people who want to play the game is pointless and counterproductive

We get it, you want to play the game.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
By the way, Jason Schreier tweeted about this game being banned on Era, so expect a major uptick in people with 20 posts in 3 years adding their two cents.

->

I'm reading this as there will be more threads if more issues arise?
The issues are more or less constant

What I'm saying is if people want a new weekly dunk on JK thread I think that's fine, I don't think she needs to do anything else or we need another game dev unmasked to justify it. But like I said it's not something I have the strongest feelings over and it's up to the community/mods to decide the approach they're happiest with

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

That's not what the staff post said.
Total ban on threads for promotional media for the game, so no platform for the marketing, no hype threads/dev diaries etc.
If there's an issue related to the controversy that a member thinks is important/that the community would be interested in, please give us a shout before posting the thread.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I mean, this has always been at the heart of the "support the devs" rhetoric. There's a reason that people stopped using that to defend Cyberpank when it was revealed to be a bad game. Nice to see someone say the quiet part outloud though.

I knew I forgot to mention that in my post. How many Cyberpunk fans were "thinking of the devs" when they were demanding refunds for their buggy game. lol

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That's not what the staff post said.
Total ban on threads for promotional media for the game, so not platform for the marketing.
If there's an issue related to the controversy that a member thinks is important/that the community would be interested in, please give us a shout before posting the thread.
I didn't think that's what the staff post meant, but then you closed a thread criticizing JK and then forwarded it to an old mega thread that hadn't been posted in in a month, which IMO doesn't do much other than hide the criticism

if the approach is out of sight out of mind, that's fine, again just not what I would do. Even if it's more chaotic, let her get dragged IMO. Not like gaming side had the mega thread stickied.

Oct 30, 2017
Plus, we already know that this line of thinking was a failure with CP2077 still getting a platform here on release date. Lots of people couldn't care less about trans rights and instead openly complained about not being able to say how much they liked the game.

At least the game was an embarrassing buggy failure.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
It's really unfortunate that a cultural touchstone for so many people my age is now forever tainted by JK Rowling being a horrible garbage-person.

And you can't even excise her from it, because she won't shut up and she's still an incredibly popular and influential presence so her ability to spread hate is enormous.

And having some Gater moron in charge of dev for this game just proves that a bad apple does spoil the bunch. It doesn't matter how many good people have worked on the Harry Potter IP in some capacity, because JK's rot is spreading throughout the whole thing.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I think at one point someone needs to make a thread so people will understand that devs still get paid regardless of whether or not you buy a game or not due to whatever reasons you have (not counting indie since that's a hugely different area). The defense of "what about other devs making game" needs to die/people need to see that devs don't actually get residuals for making game and generally get paid for their work and then that's it.
I'm frustrated that it was ever framed as otherwise-interested consumers nebulously "punishing" "devs" for passing on a licensed game and not JK Rowling violently betraying/punishing everyone working on her IP that doesn't share her bigotry, especially trans employees. The workers impacted by the high-up bigotry aren't getting a break with the revealing of the lead designer's actions.

I'm satisfied with ResetEra's plan for Hogwarts Legacy discussion.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I've never had any real affinity for Harry Potter, but I can only imagine how crushed certain fans feel. At least with some problematic authors you can use the "product of its time" excuse, but the issues here are pretty regressive by today's standards let alone in the future.
My partner wanted to go to Hogwarts at Universal for years. Couple years back, we were on a trip to LA with some friends for D23, and we made sure to stop by there. I have zero fucking affinity for Harry Potter beyond thinking acouple of the movies were okay, but they were super important books for her childhood. And it was a good trip, a crazy-ass ride, had some butter beer, bunch of fun photos. And she even got 'chosen' for the wand ceremony they do. Beyond the lines, it couldn't have been a better visit.

Rowling going from "wizards shit on the floor" to pretty brazen bigotry forced her to reexamine her own relationship with that series. That trip basically was the final capstone and farewell for her attachment to that series. Even the thought of reading those books or watching those movies again leaves such a bad taste in her mouth. And every day, she's grateful she never went through with that 'Deathly Hallows' tattoo she once wanted several years back.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest, I'm not sure I buy that he disclosed his channel to WB. If the dude is hell bent on believing the industry is controlled by the SjWs, he would not risk losing the job by openly admitting to be a bigot. That takes way more courage than these fuckers have.

Some people stretch "disclose" to mean "I mentioned it in my application as a generalized positive, that I had consistently produced web-content for a period of years, without any mention or clarification of the topic/issue itself." In effect, hiding a potential problem in a pile of normal-sounding positives. I've seen people do this in at least two companies I've worked at.