• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.
Good stuff. I'd just like to ask about what the protocol will be for event threads that the game shows up at. As an example, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up at Sony's State of Play.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Good decision. This is a unique situation, but if it "works" I would appreciate if mods looked into this approach with other games by bigoted people in the future as well. It's a bit of a moving target when it's not as ridiculously foul as this, but it's a thought to throw out there.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope resetera paves the way on this and gaming sites follow suit and stop covering the game. It's a simple way to take a stand against bigotry rather then worship the almighty dollar for once.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
The staff post is excellent news and I'm so glad to hear it.
Good stuff. I'd just like to ask about what the protocol will be for event threads that the game shows up at. As an example, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up at Sony's State of Play.
Personally I don't think it's going to appear if the game is probably just under 2 years away since it got delayed to 2022

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.
Thank you.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Good to see this response from the mods.

Fucks sake, it's really heartbreaking how tainted HP is now. I remember visiting the theme park at Universal Studios almost 10 years ago and how exciting it all was. Could never go back knowing I'd be giving money to awful people. And this shit will colour the way I experience the films and books now if I ever go back to them.

I wish mainstream media outlets would report about this shitshow so more people would hear about Rowling's bigoted ass and now this game producer. Fuck WB also for encouraging his bs.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
If by chance it's at the State of Play, people will likely react in realtime to the news and while we'll be on the lookout for anything overboard, there will be no separate thread for the announcement.

Deleted member 84505

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2020
I've never liked the vibe here. It's just kind of a weird place where the theme of 'gaming' feels a bit like a façade. I think I'll go now.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good decision to banned discussion of the game. We have to support each other, regardless of who, what or where we're from.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to keep ahead of such things as they happen live, so it'll probably be allowed if it stays within that thread, isn't the only feature within the event, and users don't disregard other's concerns.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017

It's honestly shocking how intertwined this chain of hate associated with the Harry Potter IP has been. It's vile and weird. Good decision.

Oct 29, 2017

Thank you

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

This is great to hear. I'm grateful the mod staff took this seriously and has worked to come up with a good solution.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see the forum taking a stand on this. HP fans shouldn't be allowed to ignore this bigotry.

Starseeker

Banned
Dec 30, 2020

Good shit.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Great decision by the staff.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Heartened by this decision. I'd love to be excited for the game and to talk about it. I want nothing more than that! But there's no world in which I'll be able to support the bigoted views of those in charge of the franchise and game. I want no part of it, and I'm glad this place is able to fight back, even in a small way. The usual suspects will try to make this into a "free speech" issue, but promoting your video game based on a giant franchise on a private platorm is a privilege, not a right.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

Definitely the right call.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
My partner works for Warner Media in the UK and from some of the stories they've told me, what this guy has been saying is kinda tame compared to thing that go on there.

They have senior manger who until a couple of years ago, blacked up like Zwarte Piet in the office for the Xmas party, he still works there an introduced a video on diversity last year.
I haven't looked much into this game and don't currently have a ps5. That being said, I am a huge Harry Potter fan but am very disgusted by JK rowling and company.

That being said was talking to a group of friends and all of them said they will for sure be buying the game. I asked if they had second thoughts considering the JK Rowling thing and none of them had any idea what I was talking about and never heard the news about her views.

I guess this means a lot of fans don't know anything about her views? I was genuinely shocked they were clueless but I guess if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't know either probably. They are all torn now as they are huge Harry Potter fans but don't want to support her after reading the articles about her.
Goodness gracious.

Thank you.

I feel like this decision should be getting it's own thread or an announcement box or something so it can reach the widest audience possible.

I think a big issue with the Cyberpunk decision is that half the users had no idea what was going on in regards to the OT or decision to limit discussion to one thread because they never checked the initial thread where the announcement was made.
Yeah, I'd like to second this.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how can we make the company acknowledge his views and force them into action?
You cant, its WB aka hired Ronda Rhousy/ kept Amber Heard on yet fired her ex/everything with JK Rowling... They dont give a fuck. Just like THQ Nordic with their shout-out to mark.... nothing's gonna change unless you find a way to get rid of higher ups.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you! And just an opinion on the upcoming decision to have an OT or not, I feel like an OT wouldn't be of much use since it's not the contents of the game that are being criticized.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not going to quote the staff message because it's been done so many times already but I'm just going to say a couple of words:

Thank you.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that the trans community are being listened to- well, I assume that's the case here anyway. This game absolutely doesn't need a positive spotlight here.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's good that the trans community are being listened to- well, I assume that's the case here anyway. This game absolutely doesn't need a positive spotlight here.
While it's good for us Trans Folk, this was also on the back of someone being anti feminist and even sketchy in other ways.

So this was absolutely a step to say no on behalf of women, Trans or Cis.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
While it's good for us Trans Folk, this was also on the back of someone being anti feminist and even sketchy in other ways.

So this was absolutely a step to say no on behalf of women, Trans or Cis.

I see. That's unfortunate that they didn't reach out. After the past several incidents, it should have been an obvious move to do so.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see. That's unfortunate that they didn't reach out. After the past several incidents, it should have been an obvious move to do so.
The mod community?

Don't get me wrong I think they've handled this well, damn near perfectly.

I just think it's important to be said that the mod team are acting to show solidarity with women period, which is a great thing.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this game posted I will go out of my way to spread the word about the hateful views of the developer and JK Rowling.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
The mod community?

Don't get me wrong I think they've handled this well, damn near perfectly.

I just think it's important to be said that the mod team are acting to show solidarity with women period, which is a great thing.

Ah yes I've misunderstood. I've conflated JK and this lead designer. Both bigots, but still in different ways. And likely wouldn't get along.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Great response. I won't lie I've struggled with whether or not I thought regular discussion should continue with regards of this game but after last week's decision it was obvious someone needed to cut the cord. It would be nice to see gaming media and mainstream media pick up the news more, but there hasn't been enough chatter.

Here is hoping for a brighter future!

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you to the staff. I appreciate you all taking the time to come up with this good decision. Great work. ❤

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I know this is slightly off topic, but I genuinely wonder what kind of impact the Biden administration's stance on trans rights has on bigots like JK.

How does their head not explode from hearing Biden's press secretary say:

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!

Anyways, back on topic. I support this decision from the mods, 100 % - I understand why it wasn't easy to make.

Until WB actually deal with this issue head-on and actually do something about it, I'm all for not discussing it. It's unfortunate for the fans of the franchise, obviously, since I'd say most of them don't share JK's horrible views.

But it's nothing compared to the damage JK's rhetoric has had on the trans community and not to mention this asshole of a lead designer.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus

What about Blizzard, a studio that not only treats its developers like trash, but also supports a genocidal and oppressive CCP government that kills hundreds of thousands and tortures more?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
So... has Carano issued a statement or anything
I can't tell if you're supporting this video or mocking it, but I really hope "GG has some sexist people in it, but there take on gaming journalism is spot on" is just meant as a gag.
There is a pattern for these signal booting tactics.
Check the video, this youtuber totally "spot on" about this thing, maybe other disgusting things they say must be worth listening to.
GG had useful idiots to use as a shield when the harassment campaign got backlash.
It was never about ethics, stop kidding yourself.

I am not endorsing his views, just wanted people here to be aware, since his videos get posted here sometimes. Should have made that clearer.

And good on the mod team for banning this game.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Very happy to see the staff taking action on this, learning lessons from the cyberpunk fiasco. Glad to see it

Galo

One Winged Slayer
Jul 31, 2020
Germany
Thanks a lot the staff, this decision is very appreciated, especially after everything that went down with Cyperpunk.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I see WB are trying to bury this by ignoring it entirely. Well that makes the decision to ban preview and hype discussion of this game all the more justified.

I hope whenever WB try to pitch this to the gaming media for glowing previews and fawning praise, that the gaming writers involved remember that one of the leads actively campaigned against their own, and against women especially in the industry and either outright refuse, or use it as an opportunity to take WB to task.

Cowards and scum.

I've never liked the vibe here. It's just kind of a weird place where the theme of 'gaming' feels a bit like a façade. I think I'll go now.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

T-T-T

May 29, 2018
User banned (1 week): whataboutism in a sensitive thread. Threadbanned (permanent)
Well. I hope we can ban all the threads about Naughty Dogs, CD Projekt and other exploitative studios.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden

I am okay with this decision.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I doubt that will happen HP is too big an ip for most sites to ignore.

Additionally, despite the efforts of this site this game is going to sell ridiculously well. People value clicks over politics and coverage of this game will be no different to any other.

A lot of kids who love Harry Potter and don't understand the unfortunate views by the IP creator and lead developer will be excited and want to play this game right away - it's going to move crazy units.