• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Official Staff Communication
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.

Good move.

Hopefully it doesn't turn up at Thursday's State of Play, otherwise I'll be turning the entire thing off. Sony should know better than to promote this product going forward.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
So this is a uniquely awful situation where both the creator of the IP and a senior producer on the game have unrepentant bigoted views.

The team has talked it over at length and as a result we've decided to implement a total ban on threads for promotional media for the game. This means there will be no threads for trailers or official announcements, no hype threads, no fluff pieces about its features. This functionally bans almost all threads leading up to release, unless there are major new developments about the controversy or something along those lines.

This is the first time we've done something like this and we consider this a very exceptional case. It's not just one bigoted game designer that made the difference here. JK Rowling's singular reach and influence, how closely that influence is tied to the Harry Potter IP, and what she chooses to do with that power, is a unique problem on top of this latest controversy.

We're going to revisit whether to have an OT much closer to the game's release. Learning from what happened with Cyberpunk, if there is an OT, it will have a text-only OP created by staff that lays out the controversy with the game and IP. The main reason to have an OT at all is the same one we've articulated before: Some minority members want a space to discuss the game's contents where they will not be shouted down by bigots.

For now though we're definitely not going to be platforming the marketing. If you see any threads for that stuff please report them. If you're unsure about a thread you want to post, please contact the staff first to check before creating it.

Good stuff. Will report promotional threads when they pop up.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

<3

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
I think it's for the best tbh, all upcoming promo threads would have been a disaster anyway.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017

I think this is for the best. I see this as not allowing this forum to become a party and accessory to the promotion of a creative work that unfortunately has a lot of ugly and vile associations that the bulk of the members here probably abhor. There's plenty of other places people can go to discuss the game if they want. I appreciate it when I see people stand by their convictions.

I'm still shocked WB hasn't made even a feeble attempt to address this latest controversy. I don't know if they simply don't care or don't know how to handle it so they're hoping it just goes away and is forgotten about. Regardless, they had their chance and seem to have passed so I support the admins on the call they've made here.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
GG had useful idiots to use as a shield when the harassment campaign got backlash.
It was never about ethics, stop kidding yourself.
Yea. I was a little interested at the beginning but it was obvious pretty much instantly that it was pushed by a bunch of terrible people.

Great!

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this decision should be getting it's own thread or an announcement box or something so it can reach the widest audience possible.

I think a big issue with the Cyberpunk decision is that half the users had no idea what was going on in regards to the OT or decision to limit discussion to one thread because they never checked the initial thread where the announcement was made.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Great decision.

Fuck Rowling, fuck Leavitt, and fuck this game.

Vault Mcfly

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia, Account in Junior Phase
Bro, you're all looking for reasons to not buy this game, hum?

I don't give a shit about what those guys say on Twitter, what J.K says about trans people. I wait for more than 15 years for a true RPG in the Harry Potter universe, and for the first, time I'll finally have this game. It's a dream coming true and no one will take this from me.

Sep 12, 2018

Good shit.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like this decision should be getting it's own thread or an announcement box or something so it can reach the widest audience possible.

I think a big issue with the Cyberpunk decision is that half the users had no idea what was going on in regards to the OT or decision to limit discussion to one thread because they never checked the initial thread where the announcement was made.

I think this is a good idea!

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane

I don't give a shit about what those guys say on Twitter, what J.K says about trans people. I wait for more than 15 years for a true RPG in the Harry Potter universe, and for the first, time I'll finally have this game. It's a dream coming true and no one will take this from me.

As a trans person and a veteran gamedev, if I could buy the studio and cancel this game, I will do it and I mean it. Destroying your shitty "dream" is worth it if it means we can save more women and trans lives.

Sep 12, 2018

Well it's good to know your wizard school game is more important to you than the wellbeing of trans people at least

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Good call

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
I still can't believe that HP it's still popular nowadays.
I have thought that it's dead after the deadly hollow part 2 movie.

Vault Mcfly

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
As a trans person and a veteran gamedev, if I could buy the studio and cancel this game, I will do it and I mean it. Destroying your shitty "dream" is worth it if it means we can save more women and trans lives.
Thank God you can't do that haha

Playing Hogwarts Legacy won't kill more trans people, you can be fine with that.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil

Nice one!

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil

Thanks for this post! I hope more people that have the same opinion as you to make posts like this so it's easier to identify those that I have to put on ignore.

EDIT: Aaaaand he's gone.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you so much. CP2077 was an absolute shit show and it was absolutely disheartening to see people hype the game up only to turn around and rage against it because of bugs. Seeing that bugs and bad gameplay design mattered more than human rights to many users was disgusting. Imagine seeing that very same crap happening with Hogwarts Legacy.

I hope that also means you all will take this sort of lesson forward with new Cyberpunk threads in the future, too, especially when they start releasing new gen news.

Banning Hogwarts Legacy hype discussion is great, but please consider that the damage was and still is being done with Cyberpunk.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Excellent to hear, thank you to the staff.

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017

Great decision!

And yeah, best to ignore and report the troll.

Edit: that was quick. Thanks, mods!

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Thank God you can't do that haha

Playing Hogwarts Legacy won't kill more trans people, you can be fine with that.

Of course you're banned but I have to say this one last time: if you don't think directly giving money to JKR won't cause trans death you're either incredibly naive or just straight up lying. Now fuck off to the dark corners of the internet or something.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Good shit. This is a better approach than the cyberpunk situation, which as you've said you've learned from.

That's not how it works, at least for me. I don't look for reasons to not buy a game, I look for reasons to buy it. With a game based on source material written by a bigot, and the game itself designed by a bigot, there's no redeeming qualities there for me to consider buying it.

edit: I see the troll is gone but I really just hate the "why I shouldn't buy it" narrative, as if every game is meant to be bought.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Absolutely wonderful to hear

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Solid policy.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Good stuff. Here's hoping we won't need an OT either!

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nice, good stuff.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Good stuff.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018

Thanks a lot for this, I'm glad to see how much the awareness for trans issues has been raised on this forum.

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely solid move by the Mods. Nice to see more Gaming websites also acknowledging the shit this designer has been peddling for years, and all the fuckery involved with Rowling at all levels.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

Think this is for the best.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Good to know staff is banning this game from the get go. The game itself might not have transphobia in the same way Cyberpunk did, but Rowling can be a lot more damaging due to her influence.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. This game nor Rowling need anymore oxygen. Its a shame that such a formative franchise for so many kids has turned into something so ugly.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

My gut reaction is that this is very well realized solution. Yeah, OTs generally have a promotional, consumerist element in that we experience them as part of a game's hype cycle, as filtered through ResetEra, and structure them to be celebratory and put a game in the best possible light. The "no hype threads" rule mitigates that to a large degree, though, as would structuring the OT to be hype-free, at least in the OP. If we're going to have a center of discussion for the game, this seems like a sound way to go about it.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Great to hear.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Though HP wasn't something that I was ever fully into, I'm still glad to read about this kind of decision by the mod team. Good on you for standing by the marginalized and not helping promote the works of bigots.

SlightlyLive

QA
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
Although banning the game here won't impact the game's inevitable sales and success, it's a solid move and hopefully will bring more light to the horrible attitudes of the key folks mentioned. A good stand to take.