• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
This is disappointing. I've worked with Troy in the past. I wasn't aware of his politics. I know it says he's the lead designer but from my understanding he was always more of a producer/project manager. I don't know if that makes it any better. I'm not 100% sure what the team structure is over at Avalanche these days, but my understanding was that Alan Tew was the lead designer on the Hogwart's game. His linkedin lists him as a lead designer at WB in SLC. Same as Troy. I don't know if they have multiple lead designers on the project or they have other projects in development other than Hogwart's or what. For some projects you'll have a bunch of lead designers with each over a particular feature of the game and then maybe a creative director over the whole game. I'm not sure if that's how they're arranged there or what.

I know Alan Tew is a really good guy though. Very quiet, thoughtful and humble. A really good lead designer. I always had a lot of respect for him. I'm not sure of his politics, but I'm doubtful he's a right wing/gamer gate guy. He never seemed like the type. He was always very considerate of everyone on the team. So not everyone there as a lead on the team is a douche. There are some good people there.

HOWEVER... there have been a lot of comments about how a studio could employ someone like Troy who seems very publicly out about some obviously controversial (and by our standards ugly) viewpoints. The sad truth about Avalanche is while there are no doubt probably some people working there on the team with more progressive viewpoints, from my understanding a lot of the rot goes straight to the top. From what I've been told about the studio is that there's a lot of cronyism there and it's very top heavy with a lot of guys who are part of the "boy's club." I did hear a particularly ugly story about John Blackburn who's the studio head. I wasn't there so this is hearsay, but I trust where the story came from. Basically, Blackburn had some of the team management out for lunch one day and for some reason he decided it would be a good idea to go around the table and have everyone throw names out of people at the studio they thought were secretly gay and in the closet. What he didn't know was there was someone actually there at the table who wasn't out and was completely embarrassed and mortified by the whole thing. Totally unprofessional. That was back when Disney owned the studio and my understanding was that Disney HR ended up having to get involved.

So I wouldn't describe the studio management there as being very LGBTQ+ friendly. So given all of that I'm not too terribly surprised about this news.

2/21/2021 Update:
The link to Troy's linkedin profile now has him listed as a senior producer so I assume he's become aware of the controversy at this point. So it appears my original assumption was correct. So I also assume Alan Tew is the actual lead designer like I thought.

From what I've heard about Avalanche is that they don't like people having official job titles so this may be a case where Troy was trying to make himself look a little more important to the project than he actually was. As a senior producer, he's probably likely one of many. He likely has some say and input into the project but not any type of ultimate authority or anything. That's not where I understood him to be in the hierarchy.

If Alan Tew is in charge of design, then I would feel a lot more comfortable with that. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about the game but I want to be fair to Alan who I consider a really good guy. Again, I don't know his politics as I never heard him speak of any but if I had to guess I'd think he at least leans liberal/progressive. At least he's definitely not the type to insert a specific political agenda into a game. I'm not saying that couldn't be pushed in from other directions, but I don't believe it would come from Alan who I believe is the actual lead designer.

Again, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about the game. I think it's totally valid for everyone who feels the game should be boycotted over JK Rowling's beliefs and involvement. I also have concerns about the studio management as mentioned above. I'm just trying to give people the most accurate information I'm privy to and everyone can make their own judgments.

Thread marked this.
So many red flags.
With anti-LGBTQ+ studio like this no wonder Disney got out of video game business.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, not touching this game with a ten foot pole. I love the Harry Potter brand, but if I need to vote with my wallet, I will.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing everyone in this thread who have condemned the game have also vowed never to play a Ubisoft title again?

Actually, yes.

No purchasing Ubisoft games until they truly address the rape culture.

No purchasing Activision-Blizzard games because of their siding with the CCP in the Hong-Kong protests.

No purchasing THQ Nordic games as they felt comfortable hanging out on 8Chan.

I'm missing out on a bunch of games I genuinely want to play, but there's more than enough others out there to fill the gap.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, yes.

No purchasing Activision-Blizzard games because of their siding with the CCP in the Hong-Kong protests.

I'm missing out on a bunch of games I genuinely want to play, but there's more than enough others out there to fill the gap.

Exactly. I don't get why people are trying to use this as some sort of "gotcha" moment as if people who are boycotting this game wouldn't boycott other games made under similar or just as bad situations.

And it isn't like this whataboutism does anything about THIS situation.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I've read that a few people hoped that maybe the developer just didn't know. Well...

I did, however, engage in many private discussions with my developer colleagues about what was actually happening back in 2014 when things were in full swing. Sadly, many of them also sided with the dominant press narrative and I wound up losing a few friends over my defense of the 'Gators.
Troy Leavitt interview - #GamerGate and old memories - TGG (thegg.net)

A lot more despicable stuff in there, too:

I haven't read the book yet as it has not been released, but my suspicion is that Zoe Quinn has learned a thing or two about self-promotion from her close association with Anita Sarkeesian. It may be that Quinn is positioning herself to use her tiny role as a catalyst in the creation of #GamerGate in hopes to catch the tail end of the publicity wave that the Tropes series stirred up. If it is really true that Sarkeesian is moving away from video games in favor of a new project, I could see Quinn trying to edge her way in to take her place as the face of Social Justice Activism within the Gaming sphere.

Oh boy:

That being said, I think that the trend in support of Social Justice Activism is now being recognized for what it is: self-righteous authoritarianism.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Guessing everyone in this thread who have condemned the game have also vowed never to play a Ubisoft title again?
Actually, yes.

Same 👍🏾

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Its hard not to generalize sometimes but having worked in Utah for many years, most of the gamedevs there are pretty conservative so I dont find this very surprising.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You know what? I'm damn happy I never got too invested in this franchise.
Fuck Harry Potter, Fuck this dude, fuck JKR.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've read that a few people hoped that maybe the developer just didn't know. Well...

I did, however, engage in many private discussions with my developer colleagues about what was actually happening back in 2014 when things were in full swing. Sadly, many of them also sided with the dominant press narrative and I wound up losing a few friends over my defense of the 'Gators.

A lot more truly despicable stuff in there, too:

Oh boy:
Thanks for finding this out. People must be naive to think a person in a leadership position isn't going to share their beliefs and views to their underlings. Probably people argue this to wrestle with their cognitive dissonance of #notalldevs. Only saving grace in this is he has colleagues who don't buy into his far right bigotry.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This dudes at avalanche? Oh great, well if they ever bring it back the Just Cause series can get fucked too then. Actually like those games too.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This dudes at avalanche? Oh great, well if they ever bring it back the Just Cause series can get fucked too then. Actually like those games too.
Different Avalanche. This is Avalanche Software, Just Cause is Avalanche Studios.

screenshot_20210221-1ukjvx.jpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oh entirely different studio then! That's good to hear! I can't imagine this is doing JC Avalanche a lot of favors sharing a name with these guys
Definitely. Something a lot of people have been tripped up by and imagine there's still a number of people who think it's Avalanche Studios doing it and not Avalanche Software by virtue of the name.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017

A lot more despicable stuff in there, too:

Oh boy:

Jesus Christ. The dude is like at least in his mid-forties and I believe he's got at least school aged kids. I always pictured gamer gaters as angry teens or young twenties incels that couldn't get laid. How the fuck do you get like forty years old with a family and seriously waste all that breath going after a couple young women who've already been doxxed and harassed and threatened with their lives and feel like you're the good guy? If I was his kids I'd be fucking embarrassed. I hope he doesn't have any daughters. That dude needs to grow up.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was able to somewhat divorce the HP franchise from Rowling in my mind, while I would have conceded she would benefit from the proceeds of future content, I appreciate that as a franchise it's so loved and the universe has outgrown her to the extent that other people are working on it and want more of it...

But the last thing this game needed was someone so intimately attached to it having this kind of history.. maybe the game succeeds anyway, who knows, but imagine if it didn't have all this baggage.

but Harry Potter can't.be unlinked from Rowling, it's loaded with her own thoughts and feelings on many issues. Every purchase of something H.P. Is necessarily connected in the broader public as the success of HER products.
is love of Harry Potter so great that people can't miss out on a single, self contained game? I find that odd. But maybe it's because I've become older and have less desire to identify with a product so intimately.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Jesus Christ. The dude is like at least in his mid-forties and I believe he's got at least school aged kids. I always pictured gamer gaters as angry teens or young twenties incels that couldn't get laid. How the fuck do you get like forty years old with a family and seriously waste all that breath going after a couple young women who've already been doxxed and harassed and threatened with their lives and feel like you're the good guy? If I was his kids I'd be fucking embarrassed. I hope he doesn't have any daughters. That dude needs to grow up.
A lot of them no doubt were young, but the MRA movement that gamergate emerged out of was full of middle aged dads. Started by them in fact, specifically because of their sexist views on their own (ex)wives and daughters.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. Something a lot of people have been tripped up by and imagine there's still a number of people who think it's Avalanche Studios doing it and not Avalanche Software by virtue of the name.
I'll admit I was one of then, poor Avalanche Studios. I hope some outlets pick this story up and Era bans discussion of the game.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I think this is a hard pass from me, I don't need to financially contribute to people like this guy and Rowling

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It's a mind set we have to break. I see it all the time when people will most that no chin comic about the alt right or trumps weight. I work and grew up in a racist neighborhood that has flown confederate flags in Philly of all places. Let me tell you that anyone can have these views and the sooner that gets more wildly accepted the harder it will be for these people to hide.

That interview is. Hm. Wow.

Whoops posted to soon. Nice to see you in this topic enjoy your stuff!

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Will the official twitter start with some anti-Semitic stuff next month?

Well, since it was spearheaded by literal Nazi's being a GG true believer already involves supporting anti-semitic conspiracies ("Cultural Marxism") so it naturally comes with the territory.

Edit: Wow that interview, he's actually even more fucking vile than I guessed.

Aug 10, 2019
Bigotry, hatred and ignorance tend to be compacted by age. Young minds are more malleable and are generally more willing to accept differing views.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The Quivering (quartering) is a dude in his forties that literally has made hundreds of videos in total rage against Brie Larson/Captain Marvel, Star Wars, TLOU2, etc. These people just straight up become an essence of hatred, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and everything else.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

The whole thing about #GamerGate actually being about integrity in games journalism primarily by resisting the infusion of identity politics and simultaneously calling out instances of press misconduct can sound pretty far-fetched to a developer who has only a surface awareness of the situation. It feels a little like a conspiracy theory that is needlessly over-complexifying the nice simple "it's just a bunch of jerks harassing women" explanation offered by the press. Hence, it is vastly easier to accept that ready-made narrative and then pat yourself on the back for not being one of "those guys." In the "risk-reward" equation, being an anti-GamerGate developer is a kind of virtue-signaling that is easy and safe.
In this case, I agree with Nietzsche: "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." I think that games industry has mostly benefited from #GamerGate. I think this in large part because of how it fractured and weakened the established gaming press. I feel like we had a fair number of journalists who were reporting on games mostly as something they were doing until something better came along. I think that, at least some of them, may have been looking down on the audience they were supposed to be serving as somehow being beneath them. #GamerGate helped to expose those who were self-righteous in this way. Once those journalists were outed they tucked tail and ran. (I'm thinking of folks like Leigh Alexander and Samantha Allen.)

The journalists who are still with us seem to be more concerned with both games and with gaming news, rather than with pushing some kind of misguided cultural agenda aimed at reshaping the industry in their own image. Meanwhile, individual bloggers, Youtube critics, and genuine gamers who simply enjoy our marvelous medium of entertainment have swept in to take advantage of the turbulent waters.

So, in my estimation, #GamerGate while painful at time, on the whole proved to be a good thing.
I've noticed this influx too. My sense of things is that much of it is a mirror of our society at large. I've been especially disappointed with how Social Justice Activism has infiltrated college campuses. I think we've simply seen some of that spill over into gaming journalism. Sadly, games aren't immune to the culture wars.

That being said, I think that the trend in support of Social Justice Activism is now being recognized for what it is: self-righteous authoritarianism. I think that we'll see it begin to decline as the arguments offered by the Social Justice Advocates simply don't hold up well under scrutiny. Instead of engaging with their critics, they are trying to make it into a sort of a religion that regards any criticism or counterpoint as dangerous blasphemy. But this push to silence dissenting voices is actually a symptom that the movement is in trouble. It demonstrates that the SJW's recognize that can't argue their points on their merits, so they have to try and shut down their opposition lest the paucity of their position be exposed.

Ultimately, I think that games will come through this relatively unscathed – provided we gamers continue to buy what we like and shun what we don't. In spite of all the sound and fury, the market will decide.
He's a pompous asshole.

Leavitt says that Warner Bros didn't take issue with his youtube content.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

From the article.

"Some of you have expressed that, due to my commentary on some game industry controversies and my sympathies for the Gamergate movement, that I might have a difficult time should I ever want to return to professional game development," Leavitt said. "I'm happy to say that, even though I disclosed my YouTube channel to WB Games, it didn't appear to be an issue for them. Not that they endorse anything that I've said, of course, but at least they seem more concerned with making good games than with pushing some kind of a social justice agenda, so there is hope."

So everyone saying "this isn't reflective of WB, the studio etc" or that this flew under the radar can rest easy that he's openly flaunted his bigotry and got a plum job regardless.

This game can fuck off into the sun if WB sticks by this shit stain. And probably if they don't!

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
From the article.

So everyone saying "this isn't reflective of WB, the studio etc" or that this flew under the radar can rest easy that he's openly flaunted his bigotry and got a plum job regardless.

This game can fuck off into the sun if WB sticks by this shit stain. And probably if they don't!
WB might only care now because this is getting attention.
And I for once I'm happy the guy said that WB didn't care when they saw their youtube. Now we know how they stand.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good to see it being picked up and glad they also included that bs from the WBIE President:
Later that month, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment president David Haddad reportedly told employees during a private Q&A that Rowling was "entitled to express her personal opinion on social media."
That and the bit about knowing about his views on women says everything lol.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
From the article.

That's a bold and stupid move to speak for your employer (even more so on a topic like this). I agree that after being called out WB even in silence is saying a lot.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
If this gets enough traction, they'll fire the guy, say he lied about disclosing his channel and that his views don't represent WB, Avalanche or whatever.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That's a bold and stupid move to speak for your employer (even more so on a topic like this). I agree that after being called out WB even in silence is saying a lot.
Yeah, I was surprised to hear him say that as I can't imagine that WB is going to be happy with that now that this is getting attention.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The title should probably be updated to say that WB knew.

Another publisher to add to my list of ones to avoid.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the article.

ahahah ahahaha hahaha its so fizzing