• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think a ban would be the way to go too. there's no way you'll be able to have any sort of civil discussion when it comes to this game. There's plenty of other places where people can go to get news/dicuss .

you can always buy the game second hand or have someone gift it to you.

No... It doesn't feel right supporting the game regardless.

I could do DQXI because it was one guy and he's gonna die soon enough anyway but this seems like a pattern.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly shocked and not shocked he made a video about MGTOW lmao.

I definitely will be avoiding this product.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Harry Potter holds a special place in my heart. Can everyone involved not be a complete shitbag? Is that too much to ask?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So if im excited and looking forward to playing this game that means I hate women and trans people?...wut?

One of the more sensible posts in this thread. thank you.

Oh look most of your posts are defending the other big trans-phobic game. What a shock.

EDIT:

I think a ban would be the way to go too. there's no way you'll be able to have any sort of civil discussion when it comes to this game. There's plenty of other places where people can go to get news/dicuss .

Go back to gaf like the guy running the cyberpunk topics you like so much.

Last edited:

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
User banned (2 weeks): Thread whining and dismissive behaviour in a sensitive thread
Can i just have a good harry potter game for once? I dont care what anyones political, sexual, humanitarian views are. Im a consumer and i want to play a good game.

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
User banned (permanent): Trolling and dog whistling about concerns of bigotry, after recently returning from a ban for dismissive behaviour
Can i just have a good harry potter game for once? I dont care what anyones political, sexual, humanitarian views are. Im a consumer and i want to play a good game.

Same here. The game looks good enough for me. I hope they don't induce it with bullshit politics. I have a good feeling about this game so far.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How did this guy made it through the hiring process

A lot of studios don't include social media in their background checks when hiring, at least for roles that sit outside marketing and communications. It's been an annoyance of mine for a long time now.

So the chances of someone coming in as a developer, designer or project manager etc. who has shit views is higher. I'm more surprised no one picked up on it after the fact, especially if the channel seemed so easily accessible.

Either HR and leadership didn't know or they simply didn't care.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you care about directly giving money to a woman that directly funds causes to hinder trans rights that has caused the death of trans children? I packed up all my harry potter shit in a box a month or two ago and I was literally my childhood and escape from having no friends in grade school.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (permanent): Trolling and dismissing concerns of bigotry. Multiple prior infractions.
Do you care about directly giving money to a woman that directly funds causes to hinder trans rights that has caused the death of trans children? I packed up all my harry potter shit in a box a month or two ago and I was literally my childhood and escape from having no friends in grade school.

Nah I just want a decent video game.

Is it ok in 2021 to just want to play a video game and to not get caught up in all the politics and drama? I don't even know anymore. It's a fucking video game and I want to play it that's all.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Oh look most of your posts are defending the other big trans-phobic game. What a shock.

EDIT:

Go back to gaf like the guy running the cyberpunk topics you like so much.

Even tho I played cyberpunk I agreed that the game had transphobic elements that were uncalled for. I never defended them for that in any of my posts.

Also, the other places I was referring to was reddit/discord, but go off I guess...🙄

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Is it ok in 2021 to just want to play a video game and to not get caught up in all the politics and drama? I don't even know anymore. It's a fucking video game and I want to play it that's all.
Plenty of video games coming out that dont directly harm trans lives.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe don't go into a thread that lays bare its intentions of discussing the politics of the game's creators to say you don't care then?

Seems kind of counter-productive.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. The game looks good enough for me. I hope they don't induce it with bullshit politics. I have a good feeling about this game so far.

No.

You're declaring that you're fine enabling transphobia and hurting us.

Don't let the door hit your asses on your way out.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
A lot of studios don't include social media in their background checks when hiring, at least for roles that sit outside marketing and communications. It's been an annoyance of mine for a long time now.

So the chances of someone coming in as a developer, designer or project manager etc. who has shit views is higher. I'm more surprised no one picked up on it after the fact, especially if the channel seemed so easily accessible.

Either HR and leadership didn't know or they simply didn't care.
Or maybe they hired him because they checked.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
These types of people are making all of our games. The sooner they can be weeded out (or in rarer cases, corrected) the better.

Suddenly I don't feel okay with being a gamer

9af3a8e0caf25c728db9445a374b3c2c.png
I've never been a gamer. You should've been like me!

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): This over the top invective doesn't help the discussion. If you see a member posting something dismissive or ignorant please report it.
Those of you who are so indifferent to other people, so apathetic that the shallow pleasure of a video game or a new console outweighs the real suffering of living people, I hope one day you look in the mirror and realize what a piece of garbage you are. What a selfish goddamn joke of a human being you are. This isn't food. It's not clothing or shelter. It's just a luxury product in a sea of other luxury products. A toy. If you can't even generate the empathy to do without a toy, or barring that even the self-awareness to admit its failings instead of contributing to the cycle of pain surrounding it, you can rot. It's people like you that enable evil to flourish in even the most meaningless arenas of our diseased society.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even tho I played cyberpunk I agreed that the game had transphobic elements that were uncalled for. I never defended them for that in any of my posts.

Also, the other places I was referring to was reddit/discord, but go off I guess...🙄

Yeah you just didn't talk about it and ignore it. Your one post about the transphobia is "but but but they did put one in the game" and lamenting reviewer missed them. Note that this character also directly references era almost like they were inserted to shut people up about the transphoia issues which is exactly how they are being used.

Unfortunately, some reviewers completely missed her. 😐

nerdreactor.com

Meaningful Cyberpunk 2077 trans character missed by journalists

Journalists and reviewers have given CD Projekt Red flak for not having any meaningful trans characters in Cyberpunk 2077. They are mistaken.

EDIT: Missed that you did call them out on the other Clare post while looking for a picture of the text in that quest that mentions era so apologies.

Last edited:

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
ERA showed its ass with that poll a while ago and some of the replies here are equally gross.

"I just want to play a game" well fine but you will get judged for it

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

If you are happy supporting these people, what is your motivation for posting in here? Let's show the people affected we don't care?

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Don't give the game any visibility here when it launches.

Good luck with that.

Commemorate black history month by turning a blind eye to the modern day slaves building PS5s. Boycott Cyberpunk for its bugs rather than its casual transphobia. Shout ACAB whilst demanding the people working on a Switch emulator are thrown in jail. Condemn the sexualisation of women in games, unless it's an indie darling like Shantae because the developers are liked and "just a bit horny".

As progressive as Era is, the line has always been "yeah, but my games, though".

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Yeah you just didn't talk about it and ignore it. Your one post about the transphobia is "but but but they did put one in the game" and lamenting reviewer missed them. Note that this character also directly references era almost like they were inserted to shut people up about the transphoia issues which is exactly how they are being used.

Claire might not have been a big character but i thought she was positive representation.

It doesn't excuse the other shit in the game but she was a nice surprise.

???

You going through my old posts is very creepy btw.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Man how did it take this long to come out? How are you working a high up job on a super high profile project with all that terrible content and people only realize now? How did he not think to hide his tracks before now by deleting his youtube or some shit?
It is kinda crazy. I'm looking to scale up a dev team myself and some of the takes out there on social media in the tech world are interesting, to say the least.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive behaviour in a sensitive thread
It's gonna be a nightmare to discuss anything about this game isn't it? I just hope it's a good take on the world, no matter what Rowling says is and isn't canon.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
User banned (permanent): Trolling and dog whistling about concerns of bigotry over a series of posts. Account in junior phase.
After LOTR the Potter series is by far my favourite fantasy series. Cant wait for this! I really hope its open world.

Shame about the people working on this tho.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Of course he would identify as a Slytherin.

I would say he has no self-awareness, but JK Rowling has been on the "Slytherin did nothing wrong"-train herself, so just bigots being bigots.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
???

You going through my old posts is very creepy btw.
Yep had edited my post when I saw that. And yes, when I see poster with a small amount of posts doing something that seems like defending transphobia or derailing a topic I will look at post history to see if I should be reporting them as some of them are not subtle about why they are on this site.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so you just wanted to pop into this thread, ignore the very real pain and actual harm that the actions of this individual and the creator of Harry Potter have created to let everyone bravely know that you just want to play this game? What exactly was the point of your post because you've chosen to not engage with any of the critical posts and only with the one that fits your very narrow world view that your entertainment is worth causing harm to other human beings. Like...I can accept that you might just not have empathy for the pain of people but why go out of your way to advertise it?

It's always been OK to play a video game and "not get caught up in the politics and drama" when there is no attached drama. In fact literally thousands of games come out and already exist which will let you do just that.

In this case, the creative direction of this video game is being led in part by someone with extremist, hateful views on very serious topics and the media franchise the game is based on was created by someone who has repeatedly signal boosted and promoted hateful views.

That is explicitly who you're supporting and the types of views your allowing to be promoted by financially supporting this game.

If that hurts your feelings, that's not the fault of the people who point out the hateful, bigoted views and complaining about the fact that you don't get to play one game that directly financially supports bigotry is a really shitty thing to do. Doubly so when the people whom the bigotry is directed at made a thread THAT YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO ENTER to talk about it and raise awareness and yet you chose to enter said thread and talk about your own infinitely lesser inconvenience of not being able to enjoy a game without even a slightly guilty conscience. Maybe try being angry at the right people.

If your purchased and played Cyberpunk, you financially supported the bigotry involved in its making and content. Ditto for this game. Whether you defended them with your words is meaningless when you helped financially support that bigotry with your purchase. At that point, your words are meaningless, though even then you chose to laser focus on one particular quest line that some reviewers missed in what reads very much like you grasping at straws to dismiss valid criticism.

Look, if any of you wants to get this game, you're going to get it.

Is there any point to coming into a thread where the people who are and will continue to be most impacted by the hateful views of those who created it and loudly announcing it? I didn't buy Cyberpunk so I didn't repeatedly post in the OT for it denouncing those who were.

All 3 of you (and others in this thread) have chosen to come into this thread and basically say "I want to financially support and reward bigots" and then, when people rightfully call you on your shitty behavior, you don't even stop to think about what people might be saying, but instead try to further justify your purchases.

If there is any thing you can take away from this whole debacle of your interactions with this thread it's that at least now all of know the price you place on your empathy and that price is -$60+tax. You're actually willing to pay someone money for spreading vitriol and bigotry and you then have the sheer stupidity to try to explain to people who point out the wrongness of your position that you're somehow the actual victims here.

Oct 25, 2017
In the "It's OK to be a gamer" video he argues developers can't have racially toxic environments because... a lot of game design is borrowed from Japan, and they're like, a different race, so that's a defeator for the existence of developer racism? It's like the I have black friends argument taken to the dumbest extreme possible.

If you have to use "directly" twice that means indirect.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
It's gonna be a nightmare to discuss anything about this game isn't it? I just hope it's a good take on the world, no matter what Rowling says is and isn't canon.
Probably the same as with Cyberpunk 2077. Had to follow the discussion on other forums, as you couldnt really follow it on here.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the "It's OK to be a gamer" video he argues developers can't have racially toxic environments because... a lot of game design is borrowed from Japan, and they're like, a different race, so that's a defeator for the existence of developer racism? It's like the I have black friends argument taken to the dumbest extreme possible.

If you have to use "directly" twice that means indirect.

You know what I mean. Rowling directly makes money off the use of the Harry Potter ip and she uses her platform and money to harm trans people.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
You have to be an special type of asshole to have a full time high responsability creative job, and have the energy to go back home and make shitty hateful videos.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is obviously concerning and so are some of the other stories about Avalanche we've heard.
I do wonder to what extent these individuals' personal views seep into the game design. With WB overlooking this, I do hope that any plainly in sight bullshit gets shot down very quickly.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
God, HP is so cursed now. Can't even get this in good conscience if it supports bigots like this damn.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is obviously concerning and so are some of the other stories about Avalanche we've heard.
I do wonder to what extent these individuals' personal views seep into the game design. With WB overlooking this, I do hope that any plainly in sight bullshit gets shot down very quickly.

Sounds like its more then just one guy.

This is disappointing. I've worked with Troy in the past. I wasn't aware of his politics. I know it says he's the lead designer but from my understanding he was always more of a producer/project manager. I don't know if that makes it any better. I'm not 100% sure what the team structure is over at Avalanche these days, but my understanding was that Alan Tew was the lead designer on the Hogwart's game. His linkedin lists him as a lead designer at WB in SLC. Same as Troy. I don't know if they have multiple lead designers on the project or they have other projects in development other than Hogwart's or what. For some projects you'll have a bunch of lead designers with each over a particular feature of the game and then maybe a creative director over the whole game. I'm not sure if that's how they're arranged there or what.

I know Alan Tew is a really good guy though. Very quiet, thoughtful and humble. A really good lead designer. I always had a lot of respect for him. I'm not sure of his politics, but I'm doubtful he's a right wing/gamer gate guy. He never seemed like the type. He was always very considerate of everyone on the team. So not everyone there as a lead on the team is a douche. There are some good people there.

HOWEVER... there have been a lot of comments about how a studio could employ someone like Troy who seems very publicly out about some obviously controversial (and by our standards ugly) viewpoints. The sad truth about Avalanche is while there are no doubt probably some people working there on the team with more progressive viewpoints, from my understanding a lot of the rot goes straight to the top. From what I've been told about the studio is that there's a lot of cronyism there and it's very top heavy with a lot of guys who are part of the "boy's club." I did hear a particularly ugly story about John Blackburn who's the studio head. I wasn't there so this is hearsay, but I trust where the story came from. Basically, Blackburn had some of the team management out for lunch one day and for some reason he decided it would be a good idea to go around the table and have everyone throw names out of people at the studio they thought were secretly gay and in the closet. What he didn't know was there was someone actually there at the table who wasn't out and was completely embarrassed and mortified by the whole thing. Totally unprofessional. That was back when Disney owned the studio and my understanding was that Disney HR ended up having to get involved.

So I wouldn't describe the studio management there as being very LGBTQ+ friendly. So given all of that I'm not too terribly surprised about this news.

This should have a thread mark.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Ugh... the videos are just as bad as the thumbnails suggest. Dude goes into great lenghts to explain how Donnie Trump isn't a racist.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck are people falling over themselves to say how much they're excited to play this game in a thread dedicated to the shit views of a clear right wing bigot?

How fucking transparent or uncaring do you have to be to trample on the views of people affected by this bigotry especially to tell them that their hurt doesn't matter so long as they get their precious games?

Jesus Christ.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck are people falling over themselves to say how much they're excited to play this game in a thread dedicated to the shit views of a clear right wing bigot?

How fucking transparent or uncaring do you have to be to trample on the views of people affected by this bigotry especially to tell them that their hurt doesn't matter so long as they get their precious games?

Jesus Christ.

Look at the post counts and when their accounts were created and it usually becomes obvious what they are doing.