• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Mods are going to have quite the work load cut out for them with this thread. Some people here woke up today and chose 🤡nery.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I of course would advise people to not buy any game like this, but I also understand that voting with your wallet never really works the way people want it to. If you want to buy the game, then whatever. Again, you absolutely should not because you are, in fact lining the pockets of human trash, but strictly speaking one or even thousands of decisions to not purchase will not hurt them. So if you are buying it then fine. Just shut up about it already because it's frankly exhausting to have to act like these posts are anything but guilty consciences trying to justify the cognitive dissonance they are engaging in.
Also, I'm centrist left, no far right or anything.
fucking L O L dude

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I don't support what he say. If the guy is an asswhole, is an asswhole. But he is not the only one working in the project.

Also, I'm centrist left, no far right or anything.
I don't give a hoot if what you are politically because their are plenty of Lefties that are asshats too.

You don't get to just walk in and say you are getting it regardless and not get push back. The people profiting from your selfishness have done harm women of all kinds, and will again at that.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Sheesh! I don't think this guy could make a remotely good game judging by the YouTube channel

The super-anti Anita Sarkeesian people are all frothing rage, no content at all

Will probably still sell, because the IP is popular and because almost no one knows anything about who develops games, but it'll probably be shovelware tier

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
If people were still going to buy the game despite knowing that not only does JKR directly profit from it but it helps broaden her ability to do harm against the trans community, then unfortunately this also won't do anything to change their minds.

In a lot of minds, they can justify pretty much anything just because they are excited about buying a game. And that is heartbreaking.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I don't give a fuck about Harry Potter. That franchise just continues to be tainted by shitty people.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Scum attracts scum. The studio must be rotten from top to bottom if this sort of stuff is tolerated by someone in a leadership position.

I want a big title under the usernames of people who defend this game saying "I hate women and trans people"

The very least that should be done.

People are positively lining up to declare their moral bankruptcy, there should be consequences for this sort of brazen behaviour.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So if im excited and looking forward to playing this game that means I hate women and trans people?...wut?

No, but by buying the game you are saying that your entertainment comes above their rights. You are putting money in the pockets of bigots knowing full well they are bigots.

If you are more worried about being labeled that way than being upset that people involved with this game and franchise are hateful people, then you probably deserve to be labeled that way to begin with.

CLOUD_CR

Banned
Feb 11, 2021
Ok. I respect your opinion. I prefer no say anything else. If you think that's the right thing, I respect it.

Start again with right foot.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Is HR in the video game industry just non-existent or what? I've seen people fired or almost fired for a fraction of what this is in normal corporate structures. A VP friend of mine was almost fired for having a picture on her personal Facebook (with no company or work information) because it was her at a party and there was a dildo in the background.

Meanwhile this guy is all over social media listing out his resume and posting all sorts of wild shit lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I, for one, am absolutely shocked that someone actively choosing to direct a Harry Potter game after its author publicly revealed herself as an aggressive transphobe, turned out to be, himself, a bigot. It's a plot twist absolutely nobody could have seen coming.

Oct 28, 2017
If people were still going to buy the game despite knowing that not only does JKR directly profit from it but it helps broaden her ability to do harm against the trans community, then unfortunately this also won't do anything to change their minds.

In a lot of minds, they can justify pretty much anything just because they are excited about buying a game. And that is heartbreaking.

The thing I've noticed about the Harry Potter fandom in particular is th their entire lives and identity seem to surround around Harry Potter and it's world.

It's not something I comprehend because I see such obsession with anything to be entirely unhealthy but this seems to be the legitimate case of a lot of fans. I do actually feel sympathy for them because a lot are clearly tying themselves in knots with JK Rowling being an asshat.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So this guy was a lead designer at Avalanche for years and would make videos like this while he worked there?

WTF?

Could you imagine being a woman working there and this was your boss?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ok. I respect your opinion. I prefer no say anything else. If you think that's the right thing, I respect it.

Start again with right foot.
You think he never expressed any of these views within his workplace? You think someone this high up in the project, does not reflect in any way other higher ups views? Do you think his views never affected in any way a minority coworker's ability to work? This not just one person.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is HR in the video game industry just non-existent or what? I've seen people fired or almost fired for a fraction of what this is in normal corporate structures. A VP friend of mine was almost fired for having a picture on her personal Facebook (with no company or work information) because it was her at a party and there was a dildo in the background.

Meanwhile this guy is all over social media listing out his resume and posting all sorts of wild shit lol.

As somebody whose work circles HR and wants to be in the HR field directly, please know that HR exists to keep the needs of the company met first and foremost. Employees are important and they will do their best for them, but they exist to protect the company. This guy is probably surrounded by like-minded people.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Are you fucking kidding me? How many trash people is this series going to end up attached to?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I've noticed about the Harry Potter fandom in particular is th their entire lives and identity seem to surround around Harry Potter and it's world.

It's not something I comprehend because I see such obsession with anything to be entirely unhealthy but this seems to be the legitimate case of a lot of fans. I do actually feel sympathy for them because a lot are clearly tying themselves in knots with JK Rowling being an asshat.

That's the thing though. I was a huge HP fan. I went to numerous conventions and events. My house was full of merch. My wife has a HP tattoo. We shared our houses on our first date.

But we were able to step away because of the active harm that JKR is doing. It's really not that hard.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I really just feel bad for Harry Potter fans

It was a real monkey's paw situation. We begged for years for a game. Finally rumors and leaks happened, then JK Rowling opened her big mouth. Then it just kept getting worse.

I fucking loved HP. I was one of those "put your house in your profile" millennials and my friends and I all had in depth lore discussions and literary analyses of the franchise.

Fuck it all now.

Oct 28, 2017
That's the thing though. I was a huge HP fan. I went to numerous conventions and events. My house was full of merch. My wife has a HP tattoo. We shared our houses on our first date.

But we were able to step away because of the active harm that JKR is doing. It's really not that hard.

I'd think so too but I do know some people who are melting down in real time in the light of JK Rowling being a huge transphobic asshole. Like seriously melting down in an entirely unhealthy manner.

I can't tell people how to deal with a lifelong obsession.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking yuck. How the hell this dude could take on such a huge role while promoting this trash, did they just assume no one would look into it?

flare

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking yikes. Maybe now we can decide to just altogether ban the game's discussion here and not have another Cyberpunk-esque fiasco.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
How was literally everyone who hired him for anything ok with that YouTube channel? Good christ. Fuck all of this.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Do gaming companies do no research when hiring for significant roles like this? Thats

Yep. We had our tickets booked to the live show and just cancelled them on the spot when we found out about the Rowling stuff. There are plenty of other things we can spend our time on that aren't made by bigots.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
*checks where Avalanche is located*

lol

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt despite the very strong historical correlations of that location, but yeah that rule seems to apply here as well. There has to be more than one shitbag at the company in a leadership position if they would hire this guy or keep him on the payroll after seeing this channel

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The game (OT and any hype thread) should be banned on here quite frankly. I reckon it'll get the Cyberpunk treatment but it really shouldn't even be afforded that.

This game was trash from day one.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
I, for one, am absolutely shocked that someone actively choosing to direct a Harry Potter game after its author publicly revealed herself as an aggressive transphobe, turned out to be, himself, a bigot. It's a plot twist absolutely nobody could have seen coming.
This goes a bit far for me. Not everyone has the ability to quit their job for a cause. So while I won't buy the game and I think this guy is a chud among chuds, I'm not ready to call every name in the credits sus.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The game (OT and any hype thread) should be banned on here quite frankly. I reckon it'll get the Cyberpunk treatment but it really shouldn't even be afforded that.

This game was trash from day one.

I don't disagree. There's no point in hosting discussion on the game at this point. It's just too poison.