• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So it actually just came down to Reddit styles being too messy for someone to handle discussing a single game there lol. Meanwhile access to healthcare and the ability to freely live as yourself in the world is being blocked, stripped back and made more unsafe through the proliferation of this IP and the actions of its creator.

JKRowling-Resized-Panel003.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Hope staff does the right thing and bans discussion on this game (unless TransEra still wants an OT)

I don't think my eyes could take another "everybody welcome 💯!"

🙄

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (permanent): concern trolling; prior bans for concern trolling around BLM, dismissing concerns around sexism, and downplaying defenders of gamergate
If this game isn't banned here by the end of the day I'm officially done with this fake ass community. Have the mods not learned a thing?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it actually just came down to Reddit styles being too messy for someone to handle discussing a single game there lol. Meanwhile access to healthcare and the ability to freely live as yourself in the world is being blocked, stripped back and made more unsafe through the proliferation of this IP and the actions of its creator.

JKRowling-Resized-Panel003.jpg
Worst part is, this is over a toy. Not something that you need to function in the modern age.

Ban this shit Era. Do the right thing.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this game looked like trash from the beginning. I don't know how anyone was excited for this.

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping the game would emobdy the spirit of the HP fandom I've seen, a diverse group of people that like magic shit and are aware of the franchise's flaws, but I guess with a guy like that in charge you'll probably have some "apolitical" nonsense at best. I really want to see reviews from that side of the fandom when the game comes out because I wonder if this game will join the growing trash pile that's everything post Book 7/Movie 8

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, it might have sounded like I was criticizing you, but I respect you and your stance. When I was writing my reply, I was angry at some dismissive replies here, and I read your reply and thought "nah, I personally am tired of trying to be understanding of and compassionate towards bigotry-enablers". So that was just me venting.
No worries at all, I understand

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This game is cursed, at this point I don't know if they can turn it around to certain crowds.
It's gonna be a hell of a marketing budget to bury this shit to the general public.

Zookfoodle

Oct 25, 2017
As the guy who actually runs the most popular Reddit for this game atm, I'm all in favor of the OT ban. I think what was done for Cyberpunk was not big enough of a step, and I think actually a full ban might make people think about their actions in buying this game

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't want to pick on you specifically but as I read through the rest of the thread, this stuck out to me because of how often this framing of the series usually comes up.

The thing is, as much as you - and many others, me included - took away that sort of thing from it back in the day, that's not really what was happening. The series is a huge mess of half-executed on themes, mixed messages that it constantly undermines, and often just straight up cruelty. It's sometimes about friendship and love and acceptance on a surface level, sure, but often the actual events actively go against that. Like you can say it's about that, but if you went looking for actual hard examples I don't think it would be as established as you'd expect. There's nothing there that would make me expect her to be a kind and accepting person.
Maybe I got that message because I'm a good person and my framework/perspective is guided by that?

in other words, yeah you're probably right. Just exhausted by this

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
This dude is following white genocide theorist Lauren Southern as well. This shit has to cost him his job right? Has there been any articles on this yet?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Judging by his career arc, this shit has traditionally garnered him promotions.

It seems like this has just gone completely under the radar.

I mean, the fact that this is only becoming known to Era now after how this community has (rightfully) pushed back on this game and Rowling in general is actually kind of crazy to me. He was tweeting about being the designer on this game when it was first shown over five months ago and has a direct link to his YouTube channel in his Twitter bio.

BoobooGanger

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling in a sensitive thread, account in junior phase
Do some people here plan to dox him?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I got that message because I'm a good person and my framework/perspective is guided by that?

in other words, yeah you're probably right. Just exhausted by this

Right, that's the thing. It's not actually surprising to me that you - and like I said before, me as well - read through it when you were younger and came away feeling that. Because our brains did the rest of the work based on our expectations, and/or filled in the support for surface level statements and imagery.

But when you dig into it, the actual content people are thinking about is often messy and poorly handled and even mean. There's sometimes good stuff in there still, it's not totally imagined, but the image it has doesn't really match its execution, especially later in the series. So to some degree I'm sure Rowling has been changed by fame/money/power/etc., but just from her writing there are things that would indicate she's not an extremely tolerant and loving person.

I'm not saying people can't read and enjoy the series still, but one of the most casually frustrating things about this whole mess has been people (and you're not included in this, what you said wasn't this far at all) insisting that it's still this extremely special work that definitely has these messages and teaches their importance to kids better than anything else. Because that's just like... not actually true, and there are surely books for kids out there that would actually intend to do that and pull it off better, and with no bigots involved.

As the guy who actually runs the most popular Reddit for this game atm, I'm all in favor of the OT ban. I think what was done for Cyberpunk was not big enough of a step, and I think actually a full ban might make people think about their actions in buying this game

...I have so many questions, but let me just say that it is very encouraging to see someone in that position feel this way.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I think there could be a soft ban where there is a single thread for discussing everything about the game including the bigoted creator/designer. This game is too big and too problematic to be simply ignored entirely on a prominent gaming forum.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think there could be a soft ban where there is a single thread for discussing everything about the game including the bigoted creator/designer. This game is too big and too problematic to be simply ignored entirely on a prominent gaming forum.
Or there can just be no thread to discuss the game itself. There can be threads to individually discuss things coming up like this specifically, but this game should have zero form of promotion here with how it directly will hurt the trans community.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
With Cyberpunk, I can't say I wouldn't have banned the OT, but at the same time I was glad to see discussion about what the game was lacking (not only in terms of social issues, but in terms of gameplay, because almost everything that people gave RTs and got viral were bugs and performance issues). Even then, I would've found reasonable that with the track CDPR has, they would've banned OT completely.

With this game.. the person from who this universe germinates, as much as I liked the movies when I was young, is a person who goes against trans people and uses every other minority just to attack them. And the lead designer (not some random intern who gets the coffee for everyone else) has done weird-ass Covid takes (which, I mean, wish the whole "It will be okay in a month" was true, to be fair.. :/), gamer-gatey and anti-feminist displays not only about general issues but specific crimes that have happened. Giving space to this, other than to ask people, developers and authors to be better, is unnecessary.

For the Ubisoft or Blizzard comments that always pop up: People can't always be perfect and stop supporting absolutely every product that has a history of fucked-up stuff. I certainly wish I could completely dettach emotionally from the experiences entertainment has given me and just throw away things when people who create them do shitty stuff. I think most of us try to do what we can, where we can.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ban all game discussion allow topic like this one. If people can survive not talking about a game that alienates protected communities they can go somewhere else to talk about it. Its not that hard.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Or there can just be no thread to discuss the game itself. There can be threads to individual discuss things coming up like this specifically, but this game should have zero form of promotion here with how it directly will hurt the trans community.

The problem with that is multiple threads about the game, even if it's to criticize aspects of it will end up functioning as promotion. No such thing as bad publicity indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a world where an average parent decides to not buy their kid the shiny new Harry potter game that probably has great review scores, because they understand the creators are hateful bigots . For now I would rather settle with cutting off oxygen to transphobic promotions than depend on people to respect trans rights on a deeper level.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with that is multiple threads about the game, even if it's to criticize aspects of it will end up functioning as promotion. No such thing as bad publicity indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a world where an average parent decides to not buy their kid the shiny new Harry potter game that probably has great review scores, because they understand the creators are hateful bigots . For now I would rather settle with cutting off oxygen to transphobic promotions than depend on people to respect trans rights on a deeper level.
I'm not even saying threads about criticizing the game. I mean thresds like this where shit comes out about someone from the dev team or something nefarious, or something about JK using money from the game, etc. Anything actually about the game at all should be totally banned. There shouldn't be a thread where people here can freely talk about them playing the game, meaning that people here openly indirectly contributed to giving money to anti-trans groups.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The "think of the poor devs" argument was always a fallacious argument designed to silence criticism about bigotry, using developers as a shield, and it's especially hollow now with this news. Time to ban the OT and any positive threads for this game, once and for all.

www.resetera.com

A call to Era's developers and mods about the "think of the poor devs" argument.

So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar...

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn the slightest digging and he's blatantly full Nazi, and he's been doing this shit for years. Since Rowling went full 🤡 this IP is cursed as fuck.

Also a sad reminder that one reason so little of the industry directly called out Gamergate is because many supported it.

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Fuck this shitbag. Fuck JK.

I am 100% in favour of putting a ban on her and anything she is involved in here. fuck HP.
To not do so is a big slap to our LGBTQ members, especially all of transera.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The "think of the poor devs" argument was always a fallacious argument designed to silence criticism about bigotry, using developers as a shield, and it's especially hollow now with this news. Time to ban the OT and any positive threads for this game, once and for all.

www.resetera.com

A call to Era's developers and mods about the "think of the poor devs" argument.

So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar...
It's a lazy argument so people can pretend to look like they care but don't. How much of a sacrifice is it to not play one particular game?

JK and this guy are garbage, and so is anyone turning a blind eye.