• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Absolutely depressing. Those tweets make it even worse. Man. Terrible shit. Even the smallest sliver of interest I have in this game is gone.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But Ubisoft though.

The fact that *multiple* posters in this thread have made it clear that you know what, yes people will buy this, both knowing and unknowing of these issues and that's disappointing but that's up to personal moral compass which differ from person to person.

That's fine, we all have different lines, we all have different things that others would not agree with.

However, making a fucking performance out of saying that you just can't wait to play games in threads about problematic issues around the process, or trying to make "gotchas" about how people are somehow hypocritical about theirs views is outstanding in the audacity and cruelty of it all.
The "hypocrite/no ethical consumption" kind of attitudes, perpetuate the idea of always doing nothing, and is trite, toxic, cynical, defeatist garbage, an active obstacle for betterment.

No one can ethically oppose everything perfectly, so trying to chastise people for not doing that is daft, shitty nonsense.
I have little respect for people who try to shit on people who attempt to help others in some capacity.

And there is always value to doing something. Certainly more than doing nothing.
If doing an ethical consumerism makes you a hypocrite then you should be a proud one.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The "hypocrite/no ethical consumption" kind of attitudes, perpetuate the idea of always doing nothing, and is trite, toxic, cynical, defeatist garbage, an active obstacle for betterment.

No one can ethically oppose everything perfectly, so trying to chastise people for not doing that is daft, shitty nonsense.
I have little respect for people who try to shit on people who attempt to help others in some capacity.

And there is always value to doing something. Certainly more than doing nothing.
If doing an ethical consumerism makes you a hypocrite then you should be a proud one.
Very good post

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Probably the same as with Cyberpunk 2077. Had to follow the discussion on other forums, as you couldnt really follow it on here.
This clown is already banned, but I just wanted to say.

"had to follow discussion on other forums"
-joined Feb 7, 2021

Is there really no way to detect alt accounts? Especially for a website that manually verifies all new members.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I was able to somewhat divorce the HP franchise from Rowling in my mind, while I would have conceded she would benefit from the proceeds of future content, I appreciate that as a franchise it's so loved and the universe has outgrown her to the extent that other people are working on it and want more of it...

But the last thing this game needed was someone so intimately attached to it having this kind of history.. maybe the game succeeds anyway, who knows, but imagine if it didn't have all this baggage.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
looking forward to an OT where everyone's welcome 💯

iunderstoodthatreference.gif

Hey all,

The staff is going to be talking over how to handle this game. For now, please try to keep discussion civil. We'll let everyone know once we've had a chance to have that talk.

I don't know how much this will count for, and apologies in advance for, uh, backseat moderation or whatever this is considered as, but my two cents here is that talking about one single videogame should not ever trump the confort and wellbeing of our transgender members. There's hundreds of sites that people wanting to discuss the game can go; I'm sure it will have its own subreddit, discord, etc. This game should not have a place in Era, especially after the CP2077 thread debacle.

I understand it's a tougher choice for the mod team than it is to me to condemnt it, with potential future ramifications for the board, but every choice is a sacrifice and I think we as a community should start putting our actions where our mouths are.

Unfortunate, have a feeling we won't be able to discuss the game here once it releases.

35lqnh5xrfb51.png

It's gonna be a nightmare to discuss anything about this game isn't it? I just hope it's a good take on the world, no matter what Rowling says is and isn't canon.

This may be shocking but Era isn't the only place in the world where you can discuss videogames.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
iunderstoodthatreference.gif

I don't know how much this will count for, and apologies in advance for, uh, backseat moderation or whatever this is considered as, but my two cents here is that talking about one single videogame should not ever trump the confort and wellbeing of our transgender members. There's hundreds of sites that people wanting to discuss the game can go; I'm sure it will have its own subreddit, discord, etc. This game should not have a place in Era, especially after the CP2077 thread debacle.

I understand it's a tougher choice for the mod team than it is to me to condemnt it, with potential future ramifications for the board, but every choice is a sacrifice and I think we as a community should start putting our actions where our mouths are.

35lqnh5xrfb51.png

This may be shocking but Era isn't the only place in the world where you can discuss videogames.
Yeah i rather not discuss the game amongst bigots?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah i rather not discuss the game amongst bigots?

I don't know how to word this in a non-confrontational manner, but the cold, hard truth is that you'll never be able to discuss the game with anyone that isn't fine with giving money to both a transphobe and a GG supporter to play a videogame. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to consider it's for the best if that discussion doesn't happen on Era anyway.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Reminder that cyberpunk here got a nice looking OT even after the mods agreed to a skimpy, text-only OP. You can bet Hogwarts will be met with open arms.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure the "I don't want to discuss it among bigots" line holds up here relative to, say, Cyberpunk. In the latter instance there was content there that was bigoted and it was lapped up by an actively-bigoted crowd because it was harmful. Here the issue is less the content of the game and more helping to prop up adoration and respect for a franchise whose fame and renown is being used to turn public and political perception against the trans community. Not just in terms of game discourse but in terms of real, detrimental effects in real life.

I'm sure you could go to Reddit to discuss the game without people being actively bigoted alongside you. The fear can't be that anyone who plays the game is bigoted because, well, you're looking to discuss it while playing it lol. So it kind of falls apart. It just comes off as a cheap parroted line learned from defences for why CDPR content was allowed. The two aren't comparable in material or consequence.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I pretty much draw a line where shitty people like this are in positions of management or writing of game development. I bet his worldview will permeate this game just like Kingdom Come.

That appropriation and Shapiro video gave me enough of impression of how immoral this guy is.

[edit] I'll take part of my statement back. His points in the Shapiro video are mostly ok.

Last edited:

Omoi

May 7, 2019
I was able to somewhat divorce the HP franchise from Rowling in my mind, while I would have conceded she would benefit from the proceeds of future content, I appreciate that as a franchise it's so loved and the universe has outgrown her to the extent that other people are working on it and want more of it...

But the last thing this game needed was someone so intimately attached to it having this kind of history.. maybe the game succeeds anyway, who knows, but imagine if it didn't have all this baggage.

Of course the game will succeed. It's got a HP logo on the front, so it'll sell a zillion copies.
Not that it should, but it undoubtedly will.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed.

Though when there was a thread about the game and it's trailer we had mod sanctioned replies talking about Rowling and not the game.
For people who want to talk about the game there isn't a place to do that here.

It'll be interesting to see the forums approach going forward.

By allowing people to ignore and gloss over the fact that this game is made by bigots, you are giving the game good press and thus are aiding in lining the pockets of bigots.

It's the paradox of tolerance.

HcuZIT5w8xJLMXoISDexG1GNz5Dj7xHO_QGeueMtdPU.jpg

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Of course the game will succeed. It's got a HP logo on the front, so it'll sell a zillion copies.
Not that it should, but it undoubtedly will.
Look at the views and like/dislike ratio on the reveal trailer

Hell just read any comment section and notice nobody bringing it up, the JK stuff means absolutely nothing to 99% of the potential audience or most of them don't even know

The general public (not Twitter), at least from what I've seen, aren't paying attention to any of this at all. This reveal might draw enough attention to get the dude fired, and it should, but it's not even like Cyberpunk where it's shitty gamers leaning into the transphobia. The people who want this game haven't registered anything beyond "oh I heard JK said some controversial stuff"

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Wow the development of this game is winning on all fronts. A transphobic creator and a scumbag developer. Winning all around.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Look at the views and like/dislike ratio on the reveal trailer

Hell just read any comment section and notice nobody bringing it up, the JK stuff means absolutely nothing to 99% of the potential audience or most of them don't even know

The general public (not Twitter), at least from what I've seen, aren't paying attention to any of this at all. This reveal might draw enough attention to get the dude fired, and it should, but it's not even like Cyberpunk where it's shitty gamers leaning into the transphobia. The people who want this game haven't registered anything beyond "oh I heard JK said some controversial stuff"
Youtube isn't really a barometer of much. Trump speeches from the White House account showed overwhelming like/dislike ratios in favour. Conversely Contrapoints' video on Rowling is, unsurprisingly, overwhelmingly liked.

It's also getting a little tiring having people perpetually reduce this down to it either being about here or Twitter. The conversation around Rowling is more pervasive. The annual ILGA-Europe review dropped the United Kingdom several points this past year and directly cited Rowling's attacks as a catalyst for growing danger for the trans community in the UK. A school removed Churchill and Rowling from its house names after students led a complaint around their discomfort over them. Every major newspaper has covered the stories on her and there has been significant public discussion around it. This should all be obvious from the absolute damage she has managed to cause. If it was just Twitter rumblings there wouldn't be the real-life impact that continues as we speak.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Youtube isn't really a barometer of much. Trump speeches from the White House account showed overwhelming like/dislike ratios in favour. Conversely Contrapoints' video on Rowling is, unsurprisingly, overwhelmingly liked.

It's also getting a little tiring having people perpetually reduce this down to it either being about here or Twitter. The conversation around Rowling is more pervasive. The annual ILGA-Europe review dropped the United Kingdom several points this past year and directly cited Rowling's attacks as a catalyst for growing danger for the trans community in the UK. A school removed Churchill and Rowling from its house names after students led a complaint around their discomfort over them. Every major newspaper has covered the stories on her and there has been significant public discussion around it. This should all be obvious from the absolute damage she has managed to cause. If it was just Twitter rumblings there wouldn't be the real-life impact that continues as we speak.
I'm not talking about the JK situation as a whole or trying to downplay the impact it's having as a whole. I'm talking specifically in regards to the game audience. That kind of Harry Potter fan or gaming fan is likely to be either indifferent or ignorant.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Pretty incredible and damning for WB that they'd hire this guy in 2018 when he had already outed himself as a far right and pro-GG lunatic. The evidence wouldn't have been hard to find at all.

What does this say about WB games as a company and their values?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
This is disappointing. I've worked with Troy in the past. I wasn't aware of his politics. I know it says he's the lead designer but from my understanding he was always more of a producer/project manager. I don't know if that makes it any better. I'm not 100% sure what the team structure is over at Avalanche these days, but my understanding was that Alan Tew was the lead designer on the Hogwart's game. His linkedin lists him as a lead designer at WB in SLC. Same as Troy. I don't know if they have multiple lead designers on the project or they have other projects in development other than Hogwart's or what. For some projects you'll have a bunch of lead designers with each over a particular feature of the game and then maybe a creative director over the whole game. I'm not sure if that's how they're arranged there or what.

I know Alan Tew is a really good guy though. Very quiet, thoughtful and humble. A really good lead designer. I always had a lot of respect for him. I'm not sure of his politics, but I'm doubtful he's a right wing/gamer gate guy. He never seemed like the type. He was always very considerate of everyone on the team. So not everyone there as a lead on the team is a douche. There are some good people there.

HOWEVER... there have been a lot of comments about how a studio could employ someone like Troy who seems very publicly out about some obviously controversial (and by our standards ugly) viewpoints. The sad truth about Avalanche is while there are no doubt probably some people working there on the team with more progressive viewpoints, from my understanding a lot of the rot goes straight to the top. From what I've been told about the studio is that there's a lot of cronyism there and it's very top heavy with a lot of guys who are part of the "boy's club." I did hear a particularly ugly story about John Blackburn who's the studio head. I wasn't there so this is hearsay, but I trust where the story came from. Basically, Blackburn had some of the team management out for lunch one day and for some reason he decided it would be a good idea to go around the table and have everyone throw names out of people at the studio they thought were secretly gay and in the closet. What he didn't know was there was someone actually there at the table who wasn't out and was completely embarrassed and mortified by the whole thing. Totally unprofessional. That was back when Disney owned the studio and my understanding was that Disney HR ended up having to get involved.

So I wouldn't describe the studio management there as being very LGBTQ+ friendly. So given all of that I'm not too terribly surprised about this news.

Maybe this should be threadmarked, if Belmont is alright with that.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's definitely upsetting that someone with that history of absolute fuckery can make it so far at a company. Fuck everyone who let that happen, and fuck this POS.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not sure the "I don't want to discuss it among bigots" line holds up here relative to, say, Cyberpunk. In the latter instance there was content there that was bigoted and it was lapped up by an actively-bigoted crowd because it was harmful. Here the issue is less the content of the game and more helping to prop up adoration and respect for a franchise whose fame and renown is being used to turn public and political perception against the trans community. Not just in terms of game discourse but in terms of real, detrimental effects in real life.

I'm sure you could go to Reddit to discuss the game without people being actively bigoted alongside you. The fear can't be that anyone who plays the game is bigoted because, well, you're looking to discuss it while playing it lol. So it kind of falls apart. It just comes off as a cheap parroted line learned from defences for why CDPR content was allowed. The two aren't comparable in material or consequence.

tenor.gif

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Can't exactly act surprised and was already boycotting. Nice to have another confirmation that I'm making the right call though.

Ah, yes. Coleman Hughes. The man who doesn't identify as black unless it's time from him to talk down to black people on the behalf of anti-black racists. Was fun watching him get booed at that reparations hearing a while back.

Oct 27, 2017
What a disaster of a game. I'm also not sure how a person gets hired and/or promoted to such a position with such publicly awful output.

Spot on. Also done to make themselves feel better at the end of the day and justify a usually shitty thing.

Oct 27, 2017
+ with the suggestion that the game should be banned over here.

I don't give a damn if people want to discuss it. Trans Era are way more important than a toy like this that is supporting a shit bag TERF. Let alone that it's lead designer is such a disgusting hateful idiot.

This game isn't important. Infact, I consider it trash.

If people want to discuss it then go somewhere else.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? If not here where is another forum i can discuss games? Reddit is a mess to look at and not going to the old place.

Not sure if your purposely not getting what I said so I will say it more clearly. Era should ban talk of this game and franchise made by a bigot and now clearly worked on by more bigots. If you are not ok with that perhaps you should self reflect why talking about a game matters more then the communities it hurts.