• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Refresher on JKR’s transphobia

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
In case people needed a bite-size refresher..

Through the significance afforded to her by the Harry Potter IP, JK Rowling:
  • Has repeatedly sent out and echoed transphobic rhetoric.
  • Relates transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Has driven trans children to self harm and suicide.
  • Has given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw GRA reform scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating prior.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Has grown an influence that saw trans teenagers face further restrictions in accessing puberty blockers.
  • Has been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms.
She is actively destructive to trans lives. Especially those in the UK, and of younger people looking to live as themselves. An utterly vile and contemptible woman.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I guess this is so J.K. Rowling can continue to build her TERF army and make the IP even stronger in the UK.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
My gf and I are so eager for this game. I don't mind delays, so as long as the time is worth it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

• Relates transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Has given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw GRA reform scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating prior.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Has grown an influence that saw trans teenagers face further restrictions in accessing puberty blockers.
  • Has been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
She is actively destructive to trans lives. Especially those in the UK, and of younger people looking to live as themselves. An utterly vile and contemptible woman.
This should be pinned in every Hogwarts Legacy news thread.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Delay it out of existence because fuck JKR and fuck Harry Potter. No justification for supporting it as far as I'm concerned.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I've waited for a Harry Potter RPG since I was in middle school so I can wait a little longer... Besides, I always figured it was going to be pushed.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the delay makes it the best game it can be out the gate. Still excited (even though it has a huge sour note based on the author).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
NO! This was my most anticipated 2021 game.

Oh well. If Cyberpunk has taught us anything a bit more time in the kitchen isn't a bad thing. COVID certainly hasn't helped, I'm sure.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so bad for the developers working on this having to associate with such a vile person.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
A Harry Potter RPG is what I've wanted since the 360 PS3 era. Not getting it though because J.K. Rowling is a massive tit.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
You know, I remembered the thread where Phil Spencer stated that Covid will screw up a lot of games of 2020, 2021 and possibly 2022.

And people were doubting him.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017

Thank you for writing this. <3

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this was partly done to give it more space from her comments so that people "forget"

I hate to say it, but it'll work. The world moves quickly, and from what I see she certainly is not cancelled. I know plenty of people that are aware of her stance and don't agree with it, but still really like Harry Potter.
I can see your point.

People forget really easily as you say. Especially when it is a thing they like and they want to still consume it.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck JK Rowling and fuck TERFS!

Thank you for this.

Jun 1, 2018
User banned (permanent): Concern trolling on a sensitive topic after a history of defensiveness over CP2077 and misgendering another user in a report. Long history of bans for trolling and hostility.
Fuck this game. Just cancel it all together. The twitter comments make me sick. How can anyone be excited for something that is so transphobic?

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
If it needs more time to be perfected then I'm glad they're taking it, I've dreamed of a game like this for a long time and can't wait to play it

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018
It was my most hyped game of 2021, oh well I can wait.. just make it as good as possible.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
If this ends up being good, it could be a dream coming true. Take your time devs. i'm afraid of other possible delays.

Oct 27, 2017

Didn't see this post.

Well done! Mods should pin this on every thread about this game.

I will end this post in once again saying: Fuck JK Rowling.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
FUCK JK ROWLING. I'm so excited about this game and I love Harry Potter, but I don't want to gave money to that trash TERF, so I don't know If I will buy or not, we have to consider that the devs don't need to be punish, still is hard.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Well done, and thanks for compiling how Rowling have affected transgender people, what she's done is so much worse than even CDPR's transphobia cause she's taken direct action to make trans lives worse. And I hope you're taking good care of your mental health, you're constantly on top of transphobic issues to compile and succinctly summarize everything for us, and I hope it's not wearing you down.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
FUCK JK ROWLING. I'm so excited about this game and I love Harry Potter, but I don't want to gave money to that trash TERF, so I don't know If I will buy or not, we have to consider that the devs don't need to be punish, still is hard.
You think the developers would appreciate you using them as a shield to support an IP that allows a woman to directly harm trans people? A number of developers here posted openly about their dislike of being invoked when it comes to interfacing with such things. Even the developers working on the game are themselves conflicted about it.

Choosing not to engage with the IP of a harmful bigot isn't punishing developers.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Big bummer but the game scope seems huge so this isn't a surprise. It's also built seemingly from scratch.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I'm kind of surprised this is the one being delayed it has been in development for a really long time but maybe they want to get away from the Rowling stuff and not be a Cyberpunk 2077 thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.