• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the people developing this game. Looks like a lot of hard work and love went into it. Fuck Rowling.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well I never thought I'd actually see the day but this looks pretty damn good. Obviously I'd like to see more details but so far, really enjoy what I've seen! A big open world in this universe is exactly what I'd like to play.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Are we not allowed to separate the art from the artist?
Not when the art directly gives influence to someone whose output is causing trans children to self harm or attempt suicide. Someone that is actively quoted by those pushing for anti-trans legislation, who are in positions to enact it. Fuck that.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if the artist separated themselves from the art. But it's a) not going to happen for financial reasons and b) impossible since she can't turn off the fact that she's massively well known, so it's unavoidable that buying the game means supporting and promoting a bigot.

I like the idea of buying it second-hand, at best.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
It feels really weird to not be able to draw the line at a game when the person receiving royalties from it is a horrid bigot. It's just a video game, and even if it looks good, is it really worth letting your money go toward a monster that constantly tries to one up her awful deeds just to stay in the limelight? Just because it's a "dream game" or "it looks so good, sorry, but... I need it"? There's so many other games to play that can give you similar immersion, and many of them don't profit someone like JKR. Buying this game, unless you do so 100% used (and even then that still kind of supports the game by proving it has a playerbase via trophy/achievement info), is throwing so many people under the bus. Rowling's actions are the type of thing that literalaly get people killed just for being themselves. Honestly, the Harry Potter series in general if you look back on it is full of some really questionable stuff, it feels like it's time to move on and replace it with something new that carries the spirit everyone thought the series had growing up but without any of the horrible things associated with it. I really hope the only reason this was shown in today's event was merely due to obligations and deals that Sony were too late to back out on.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's a shame JK Rowling turned out to be a shit person. Makes it hard to getexcited for this game, but I feel really bad for the developers since it doesn't look bad at all.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
The time period from the leak was true as well so leak was fairly accurate. I'm excited that the book characters won't be there and this can be its own thing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

I've said it in similar threads before, but as I teacher I think Harry Potter as a whole is still an insanely valuable tool for getting kids to read, and there isn't a whole lot of alternatives.

Rowling is unquestionably an awful human, but as a teacher I still think the series itself is an incredible tool. At 7 books it's a pretty lengthy series, but it's also easy enough for most kids to jump into. The books grow with the reader, so Sorceror's Stone is going to thematically be less intense than, say, Order of the Phoenix. After the first 2 books, it's also not really stand alone. I do think you could read Chamber of Secrets without needing to read Sorceror's Stone because I think the first 2 follow a pretty standard "monster of the week" formula, but as the story grows, more characters introduced, the story gets more complex and doesn't necessarily wrap up at the end of every book, and you unquestionably need to read them in chronological order, it becomes a series that you really need to stick with to fully appreciate it.

It sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal, but when you take into consideration similar books in that Lexile level, there really isn't anything/ a whole lot to compare it to. Harry Potter is unique in that the books are big for the age they're typically introduced to, but also it's a book series where you can stick with the characters and continue their adventures. There are other series that may have the same characters, but I don't really need to read Magic Tree House #12 to understand what's going on in Magic Tree House #32. The more time you spend reading them, the better the payoff is going to be. Because the books are so big for that level, I've found that it's an absolutely incredible confidence builder. It feels good to finish them, and for many of my students, the series is the first "big" books that they get into.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
The game itself looks far better than I ever anticipated but JK Rowling is a cunt so I think the step of buying this used is a sound one IF the decision is taken to buy this. I truly feel for Avalanche and I think they have something very special on their hands by the look of the trailer.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The artist is still alive and profits from this, the art in this case is also pro slavery, talks about a woman that changes her appearance as having mannish hands, and a general lack of any diversity with the little it has being suspect before Terf Rowling came out a as a pile of shit.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I think that is kinda okay sometimes, i.e.: that person is dead and no longer spewing their bigotry, and consuming their product doesn't necessarily fell like endorsing their views, which in my humble opinion, is not the case with Joanne here.

Lindsay Ellis puts it better here:

www.youtube.com

Death of the Author 2: Rowling Boogaloo

I'm so tired. Death of the Author: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGn9x4-Y_7A Pronouns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bbINLWtMKI Riley Dennis: https://ww...

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
"Every corridor, every portrait, every stone in this castle" dripping with and tainted by transphobia.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game should be easily ignored, if the author wasn't plain evil it's published by WB.

ps3ud0 8)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is...weird. I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but I've been wanting a SP RPG for ages now. But man, I just can't. Like, JK Rowling is a TERF at best and there's definitely some weird racial shit to her work too. I can't fuck with this game.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game itself looks far better than I ever anticipated but JK Rowling is a cunt so I think the step of buying this used is a sound one IF the decision is taken to buy this. I truly feel for Avalanche and I think they have something very special on their hands by the look of the trailer.

Even buying it used is a bad idea unless you never buy any dlc for it and it's bound to have loads. 🤔

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
David Attenborough impersonator doing the voice over? Lol

Game looks good. Wonder how open and free it will be.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Very conflicted myself given the unfortunate comments from J.K. Rowling. I love Harry Potter though, and I thought this trailer looked really neat.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully a modding scenes pops up to turn the game into something with a less toxic person running it, like Owl House or Little Witch Academia.

I instead wait with joy that the first mod will be for the "choose your gender" screen into "how do you identify yourself" instead.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was really hoping the game would look like shit so I wouldn't have to worry about being interested in it, but that looked amazing. If it turns out to be good I'll have to get it. HP is too much apart of my childhood for me to just completely turn it off, but I'll definitely be buying second hand or hope it's on game pass or something.

I fucking hate that something I've loved for so long was created by a steaming sack of shit.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
What does everyone think about people who want to buy and enjoy this game, but still don't agree with Rowling? Is this an "us or them" scenario? Either we swear off Harry Potter forever, or we are complicit?

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
I'm just gonna say I can no longer look at anything HP related and not feeling a chill of disgust knowing the bigot who created it. Was the joy it created in the past a lie? No. But I refuse to give Rowling more social currency then she already has.

DON'T get this game, DON'T support her, DO support trans people and trans rights.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User Warned: Hostility (3 day threadban)
Wow you will buy a game of unknown quality to support a terf without even knowing its good? Lots of people proving how unsafe trans users feel on this site today. Enjoy your pro slavery, pro terf game where canonically wizards will publicly shit on the floor.

WTF are you talking aboutl? I explicitly said i will buy it just in case its really good for fucks sake.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What does everyone think about people who want to buy and enjoy this game, but still don't agree with Rowling? Is this an "us or them" scenario? Either we swear off Harry Potter forever, or we are complicit?
As a trans person, I say you do you. As long as you don't try to downplay what she's said or deliberately go into discussions about her transphobia and post the equivalent of "don't care LOL" (something which happens infuriatingly commonly in threads about Cyberpunk) then it's all good.

I would say maybe throw a few bucks towards a charity for trans youth when you buy the game, though I understand times are tough for people and it could be difficult/impossible for you to do so.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Why did this have to look so good? Seriously, fuck J.K. Rowling. Not getting a single cent from me. I feel bad for the developers though.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Either we swear off Harry Potter forever, or we are complicit?

Until she losses control or dies yes. Any money going to her will directly fund anti trans causes. I say this as a child who grew up with the series. It was one of the few things that made me happy considering my lack of friends. I have no excitement in this game and have permanently put off rereading the series and will be packing up my hardbacks. I dont see how I could look any trans person in the face and say I support them but also look at this sick ass harry potter game. It's and easy call for me that hurts.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's...interesting seeing so many people pop in the thread just to say something akin to "WOW! Looks great! Day 1 for sure!" before dipping out completely.

The game sales benefit a shitty person. You can be excited for the game, and everyone consumes media or products produced by "problematic" individuals, but is it really that difficult to have some tact?

How about buying the game used, or at least acknowledging the issues surrounding the IP.