• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with Harry Potter and this Game looks stunning but I just can't buy it. The recent "events" are to much. But please don't be mean against other users who are planing to buy this game. It's meaningless and dosen't help.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably just buy a key off of G2A since I don''t have a disc drive for my PC. I'm sure I can find other ways to support the devs if needed.

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
User Banned (Permanent): Intentionally misusing a common phrase to misgender another user with public pronouns in a sensitive thread; account in junior phase

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I ain't touching this game, not while JK is receiving any money from it.

Sucks that the devs are attached to it but I'm sure it'll still do well enough from mainstream money for their studio to stay in business, and hey they have a pretty nice portfolio now.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
This game looks really cool and I'm not even someone who thought harry potter was incredible when I was a child.

Can't believe it's taken so long for something like this to exist really. Seemed like such a no brainer. Will sell very well. Day one for me.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
This is why people make fun of this place.

It's just a game. Jesus calm down.
It always amuses me when I see people make this kind of comment, like we're supposed to care that there are places out there that make fun of ERA, and it comes from a poster that continues to use the forum that is the butt of said mocking. You participate here, you are this place!

That and the kinds of places that mock ERA are pretty much all alt-right boards and youtube comments full of bigots as far as I've ever seen so if anything it makes me question why they are even here.

That said, yes the comment was extreme. On occasion that happens when you get a lot of people in a community talking, you get varying degrees of opinion.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Y'all are allowed to be excited about the prospect of more Harry Potter if the franchise in of itself has brought you through tough times and brings you joy during a tough time. But that doesn't make the franchise in of itself exempt from critical examination, and you have got to be well aware of what you'll be inadvertently supporting. At the very least, at all costs try your damnedest to buy this used.

Fuck JK and her bullshit. I sincerely hope the full game is allowed to have a disclaimer calling her out somehow.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit this is my dream game. I am super in. Looks incredible.

But yeah fuck JK's transphobic comments. Ugh. I am so conflicted.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Holy shit this is my dream game. I am super in. Looks incredible.

But yeah fuck JK's transphobic comments. Ugh. I am so conflicted.

Buy it used / borrow it from someone my good sir/madam.
I've said that already but I'm calling this because I imagine there are a lot of people with this conflict going on, I commend you for that and not just blatantly disregarding the issues surrounding the intellectual property.

Do people forget that you don't have to buy things right away? Is FOMO really that big of a thing in the gaming community?

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I really do wonder if companies are pleading with JKR in the background to stfu.

Game looks nice. I might pick it up second hand, but by the time i get around to that i'll likely have lost interest.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Buying video games are evil.

No wonder people mock this website. It's more nuanced than "You are an evil asshole"
This is reductive.

JK Rowling directly profits from every piece of Harry Potter merchandise, including this game. Rowling is a TERF and advocates for anti-trans causes. Thus, buying this particular, individual video game ensures a bit of money will inevitably go to anti-trans causes.

If that causes a moral quandary, good. That means you have empathy. But ultimately what you do with that information, and especially what you say to transpeople's faces about it, is still on you.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
This looks cool. Me and some friends would probably have a ball with it.

...And none of us will be purchasing it. Fuck Rowling, fuck TERFs.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is reductive.

JK Rowling directly profits from every piece of Harry Potter merchandise, including this game. Rowling is a TERF and advocates for anti-trans causes. Thus, buying this particular, individual video game ensures a bit of money will inevitably go to anti-trans causes.

Most likely the money from this game is already in her hands.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for the people working on the game. They've probably put years into this, but because of JK Rowling, they're going to be the ones that suffer.

Eff JK Rowling.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
This already looks like my dream HP game. Those details and being able to explore that world have me super excited and I hope its just as good as it looks. I'll be buying this used tho because Rowling apparently has to keep being awful. I'm sure the devs are just as disappointed as we are with that but they should feel good about what they've made still.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Of course the Harry Potter game people have wanted for two decades had to be announced after Rowling outed herself as a shitbag.

*sigh*

Oh well. Warner Bros. is probably going to GaaS the ever-loving shit out of it anyway.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea to those that want it please try to buy it used at the very least.

To the devs the game looks amazing but the series it's based on is burnt to the ground for me now

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Buy it used, problem solved.

Buy it used / borrow it from someone my good sir/madam.
I've said that already but I'm calling this because I imagine there are a lot of people with this conflict going on, I commend you for that and not just blatantly disregarding the issues surrounding the intellectual property.

Do people forget that you don't have to buy things right away? Is FOMO really that big of a thing in the gaming community?

Yep, will probably end up doing that. Still excited for the game, and gotta show appreciation for the devs that seem to have FINALLY nailed a HP game.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Looks fantastic, fuck JK Rowling and I wish the developers the best for their great work I won't enjoy.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Couldn't really get a grasp of the game play but this game has been a terribly kept secret for so long it's not that hard for me to imagine it. Definitely a trailer taking place in the known calamity of a human being Rowling's created world. Definitely used if I really wanna play it

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel sorry for the developers of this game, who are inevitably going to potentially find themselves on the end of the anger that should be directed towards JK Rowling instead

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
game looks amazing, you can tell at least effort was put in and isn't an easy licensed cash grab.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If this is on Gamepass at all, and you have Gamepass, will JK likely see any of your money? Even if you don't download it/play it?

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Such a hard situation for me. Rowling is awful, and needs to be canceled. I hate that she has the wealth and success she has had. And I do not want to buy it because of her.

But it's also such a wonderful world and IP that does help bring minorities and everyone together(how someone like her could write that is beyond me) and this is the game I have always wanted for the IP. It looks absolutely wonderful, and so many wonderful people are involved in its creation. It's just a real shame that the head of that chain is a literal piece of shit.

I also hold a PT job at a book store, and sales and popularity for the IP has not dropped even a little bit. I'm not even sure if it'd even matter if I boycotted. She doesn't care what we think, and she's gonna make a fortune no matter what. It's really sad. It'd mean she'd remain wealthy and get a massive payout, but I wish she would just sell the IP off and leave the limelight like George Lucas did(except he's not trash)

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most likely the money from this game is already in her hands.
And if people choose not to give money for this game because she's a TERF, then it reduces the chance of her being paid for something else in the future. I know it's minuscule that that will happen, because gamerz gotta have their game and "love the art not the artist" or some shit, but there we go.

I know it sometimes feels like pissing in the wind, but being defeatist about this sort of thing is the wrong attitude to take. JK Rowling is a TERF and no one should support anything that directly or indirectly benefits her financially. She's made enough money for more than one lifetime - better to support creators who don't treat marginalised folk like subhuman garbage.

The game looks interesting, but it's a big no for me. Don't ever give these bigots an ounce of support.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
And if people choose not to give money for this game because she's a TERF, then it reduces the chance of her being paid for something else in the future. I know it's minuscule that that will happen, because gamerz gotta have their game and "love the art not the artist" or some shit, but there we go.

I know it sometimes feels like pissing in the wind, but being defeatist about this sort of thing is the wrong attitude to take. JK Rowling is a TERF and no one should support anything that directly or indirectly benefits her financially. She's made enough money for more than one lifetime - better to support creators who don't treat marginalised folk like subhuman garbage.

The game looks interesting, but it's a big no for me. Don't ever give these bigots an ounce of support.

"One lifetime". Ha, she's already likely a billionaire.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I know it sometimes feels like pissing in the wind, but being defeatist about this sort of thing is the wrong attitude to take.

It doesn't feel, it is. She's already won the game of life, she's rich beyond imagination. While noble, taking a couple bucks outta her pocket here or there isn't going to move the needle at all.