• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
"HodoBuzz" offers viewers a glimpse into the struggles of a Japanese female reporter who, tired of obstacles in Japan's media industry, quits her job as a variety show host in Tokyo and leaves for New York to pursue her dream of being a news anchor.

Although the series tackles a myriad of issues prevalent in Japanese society, including a lack of understanding towards minorities such as LGBT and half-Japanese children, the strongest inspiration for the series was the sexism inherent in the role of female announcers, the team says.

I only learned about this show a couple of weeks ago, when it just released through an article in the Japan Times ( https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2021/02/03/tv/hodobuzz/ ) and decided to give it a go, since I have Amazon Prime anyway.
I have only seen one episode so far but I'm really liking it and think it tackles a lot of issues in an interesting way.

What amazes though is how absolutely nobody seems to have heard about this show. It only has 8 (!) votes on IMDB, which is an absolute shame for such an ambitious show in terms of concept. Especially considering how difficult it has already been just to be able to have the show made in the first place ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/523483385/japan-america-drama-series-hodobuzz?ref=project_link )

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
That looks pretty low-budget (obviously) with some questionable acting, but I'm really intrigued on a conceptual level. Japan's press freedom ranking dropped pretty significantly under Abe, and there's so much bullshit with kisha clubs and all that. The world of Japanese reporting is super interesting, and I wish there was more investigative journalism there in general. This seems like a cool idea for a show.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For a second, I thought she was going to be speaking Japanese amongst a bunch of American actors, which I think would've been trippy to run with, but I'm not disappointed that it's an all Japanese cast. Indeed, it allows more exploration into Japan's unique issues with its press.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Looks super interesting, will have to remember to watch it

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Damn, looks to have been released a year ago on Amazon, I'd never have heard of it if not for this thread. Thanks OP! Gonna watch it.

OP
OP
Illuvatar

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Damn, looks to have been released a year ago on Amazon, I'd never have heard of it if not for this thread. Thanks OP! Gonna watch it.

To be honest I have no idea when it got released. IMDb says February 2020 but their own Twitter mentioned it being on Amazon in September, whilst the article I posted was written February 2021...