• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

Hobo: Tough Life is an urban survival role-playing game where you play as a homeless person. Play alone or team up in online co-op. Explore the streets of Praslav, scavenge for food and supplies, beg, steal, and do whatever else it takes to survive the forthcoming winter.

How far are you willing to go to survive? Steal, burgle, and consort with criminals of all sorts. If necessary, take what you need by force. However, you are not an action hero. Consider your actions carefully, for the consequences are often severe, and benefits rarely outweigh the risks. Most importantly, keep your wits about you. Even if you are not willing to hurt people for personal gain, others are.

Unlike other survival games, Hobo: Tough Life leans heavily on its story content. Experience dozens of storylines inspired by real-life events and people. Solve quests, meet unique NPCs, gain their trust, make allies and enemies, join various factions, and find your place in the streets of Praslav.

ss_2881e9eba07d2e250a31f29820120b118755d5ad.1920x1080.jpg
ss_e43062f3a748dc2643c22882c2adb40d55066de5.1920x1080.jpg

ss_58bcfb17cd91ffba150120c0a18ea18d07f6d45d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_a71f28f71557e5cc53a0370542166cff5ed67b63.1920x1080.jpg

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Huh there seems to be alot of attention for it on steam has over a thousand reviews.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
thought this was a game I got a press email about the other day, but it turns out that was for Garbage: Hobo Prophecy

a bit weird

Aug 31, 2019
This is one of "those guys stole my idea from 10 years ago" for me.

Of course I can't code shit and will never ship a game so good for them

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This seems a bit crass but I am very intrigued by its existence. I want to see what this game is like. It definitely appears to have an atmosphere.

I really wonder what led to this being greenlit. What a fascinating thing.

It is giving me really odd Pathologic 2 vibes, in some ways.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
This seems a bit crass but I am very intrigued by its existence. I want to see what this game is like. It definitely appears to have an atmosphere.

I really wonder what led to this being greenlit. What a fascinating thing.

It is giving me really odd Pathologic 2 vibes, in some ways.
if they can actually deliver a decent message i can see it being something better than it appears to do.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I do agree that this is a bit insensitive judging from the surface, but the game doesn't make fun of actual homeless people at all. It has a story, and just like most RPGs, you can choose to become a good or bad hobo. There are factions in the game and you can be the rules at the end.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I will play the game, but that title needs work. I guess so does the one mentioned by atomsk as well. Much of the flak this game will get, assuming you know the game isn't making fun of the homeless, will be just based off title alone.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I do agree that this is a bit insensitive judging from the surface, but the game doesn't make fun of actual homeless people at all. It has a story, and just like most RPGs, you can choose to become a good or bad hobo. There are factions in the game and you can be the rules at the end.

this sounds awful and in bad taste. Why does it have to be a hobo? Aren't these survival games based around the same thing? Finding food, gear, etc. ?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Tought this died a long time ago, good to see it come back again....? Idk, I guess its all about the execution, it could be a more crass Cart Life but hopefully it does not stray too close to anything problematic.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
this sounds awful and in bad taste. Why does it have to be a hobo? Aren't these survival games based around the same thing? Finding food, gear, etc. ?
This is not your regular survival game, it's an actual RPG with story and branching narratives. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's the difference between this and games or any other media (books/movies) with a minority as the protagonist who are going through bad experiences in their life? Like in Hellblade for example, we're playing as a woman who struggle with psychosis.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is not your regular survival game, it's an actual RPG with story and branching narratives. Excuse me for my ignorance, but what's the difference between this and games or any other media (books/movies) with a minority as the protagonist who are going through bad experiences in their life? Like in Hellblade for example, we're playing as a woman who struggle with psychosis.

i think there is a stark difference between telling a story of struggle vs basing the entire game system on struggle.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Game-ifying the experience of poverty is disgusting.
Not inherently. At least in my opinion. It really depends on the message they're trying to bring across.

Homelessness is invisible most of the time, figuratively and literally. A crass game with bad messaging could be a problem, but the fact that mainstream studios don't want anything to do with the subject is a problem too.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
not gonna agree or disagree with you but if games allows you to roleplay a rich person, a king, a superhero, etc........then why is role playing a poor homeless person somehow a taboo?
I think it's because of the type of game it is. This game has "streamer game" written all over it. And I can see people role playing "crazy hobos" or whatever.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
This is one of "those guys stole my idea from 10 years ago" for me.

Of course I can't code shit and will never ship a game so good for them
Yeah but you must have stolen it from me first

I probably shouldn't even be diving into this when I really don't want to spend the night going back and forth on it, but the trailer is way too earnest for me to be interested in the game, because at the baseline..
So, if you're not making a deeply empathetic narrative experience about the plight of a particular individual within an unjust society, and you're also not going in super hard via South Park's "Night of the Living Homeless"-style to highlight the utter wretchedness of... every society, everywhere, you're sort of just blandly exploiting the whole thing. I'm even trying to avoid the word 'exploit' as I write this because it's innately adversarial, but I can't think of anything that could satisfactorily take its place. And I could be wrong, but honestly, that overlay font alone inspires negative confidence.

I may or may not have storyboarded a trailer for a game about homelessness with Hotline Miami-style visuals to the opening song from It's Always Sunny, which happens to be royalty free

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it depends on the context. Paper's Please has a large element of gamefying poverty but it's also incredibly effective at conveying what a harrowing experience that can be.

I agree though, something about this game really rubs me the wrong way and I'm having a hard time articulating why this bothers me, but it just seems in poor taste.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Not the first game to put you in the shoes of a Homeless person, but this one seems gamey and not particularily in good taste

More interestingly was CHANGE: A Homeless Survival Experience which was more of a social commentary
store.steampowered.com

CHANGE: A Homeless Survival Experience on Steam

CHANGE is an award nominated homeless survival experience set in a randomly created city with rogue-like elements. Explore, survive, earn perks, find items & kindness to develop your character & escape to a new life. Over 7 years of development & over 200 updates so far!

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is the kind of game I would expect to be non-profit and donate revenue to homeless shelters.

Trying to turn a profit on a game like this is just gross. Capitalism at it's finest I guess...

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not it successfully gamifies the experience of homelessness as a way to appropriately connect with and communicate this experience to an audience that may otherwise not understand it will depend a lot on its contextualised framing and writing. I think interactive stories have immense potential to communicate lived experiences and context in a way that can resonate profoundly with an audience, but all run the risk of fetishising or romanticising said experiences and transitioning more towards guady and exploitive over evocative and relevant.

As the saying goes; punch up, not down. I've worked with the homeless and poor for years. Sensitivity and consideration for the reality and gravity of homelessness seems like it might be predictably lost, although some facets of the description don't appear to be offensively romantic or embellished for entertainment's purpose. Instead the representative here seems more as a kitschy, vapid, unintentionally offensive but nevertheless misguided take on homelessness.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
looks more like a spin on survival sim than "lol u r hobo"... in spite of the on-the-nose title

lotto ticket thing is kind of pushing it though

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
looks more like a spin on survival sim than "lol u r hobo"... in spite of the on-the-nose title

lotto ticket thing is kind of pushing it though

In the trailer you see hobos fighting each others, lockpicking doors, stealing food but you can be a "good hobo" too whatever it means. The lotto ticket is probably the worst part of it.

J-Soul

Nov 11, 2020
This thread REALLY reminds me of the 6 Days In Fallujah coverage by Fox News. The arguments are almost word for word.

"Its disrespectful to turn this subject into a childish video game"
"You're trying to profit off of the horrifying lived experiences of these people"
"You aren't approaching this with the right level of decorum"

I wonder how 6 Days In Fallujah would be recieved today.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
What are y'all gonna say about the game "This War of Mine"? That it "gamifies" a horrible war experience? No. The game was praised for its depiction.

This game may (or may not) shed more light on what it means to suffer homelessness and poverty.

Games, like all art, are an expression of the human experience and being homeless, starving, hopeless, afraid, desperate, heartless, cruel, kind...all of these are part of the human experience. All are fair game for art to explore.

Judge it afterwards. Don't judge it now before you know what it is.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
There's something inherently wrong about spending money to play a game on your (likely) expensive PC to fantasy role play a homeless person struggling to survive, while we're in the dead of winter.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's something inherently wrong about spending money to play a game on your (likely) expensive PC to fantasy role play a homeless person struggling to survive, while we're in the dead of winter.
Might as well hand a real hobo that cash instead of spending it on a hobo simulator.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Super weird people are getting hung up on the scratcher game when literally the second before it's showing off some kind of home designer/base builder a'la Fallout 4 which is...extremely insane to me in a way I can't accurately describe.

This looks bad in just about every sense of the word.

Also some of y'all need to learn what it means to "punch up" versus "punch down".

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
What are y'all gonna say about the game "This War of Mine"? That it "gamifies" a horrible war experience? No. The game was praised for its depiction.
I've player neither of the two games, but from what I can tell, the way the central focus is framed and depicted is the issue here. As far as I'm aware, TWOM didn't lean on stereotypes or a slogan like, "Can you survive?"

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018
Lots of good points in here, but there's a much simpler way of looking at something like this, which is just: Would you be embarrassed to explain what you're playing to a friend or family member? This War of Mine and Papers, Please: Not embarrassing. This: Embarrassing.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

This game may (or may not) shed more light on what it means to suffer homelessness and poverty.

Games, like all art, are an expression of the human experience and being homeless, starving, hopeless, afraid, desperate, heartless, cruel, kind...all of these are part of the human experience. All are fair game for art to explore.

Judge it afterwards. Don't judge it now before you know what it is.
This War of Mine doesn't glorify war. It's pretty explicit in it's messaging that it's an anti-war game. This hobo game isn't really clear on it's messaging about homelessness.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Whether or not it successfully gamifies the experience of homelessness as a way to appropriately connect with and communicate this experience to an audience that may otherwise not understand it will depend a lot on its contextualised framing and writing. I think interactive stories have immense potential to communicate lived experiences and context in a way that can resonate profoundly with an audience, but all run the risk of fetishising or romanticising said experiences and transitioning more towards guady and exploitive over evocative and relevant.

As the saying goes; punch up, not down. I've worked with the homeless and poor for years. Sensitivity and consideration for the reality and gravity of homelessness seems like it might be predictably lost, although some facets of the description don't appear to be offensively romantic or embellished for entertainment's purpose. Instead the representative here seems more as a kitschy, vapid, unintentionally offensive but nevertheless misguided take on homelessness.

The title alone isn't inspiring a lot of confidence in their ability to show sensitivity and consideration.

Last edited:

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish it was multiplayer. Either way I might check this out seems like a unique concept.

May 17, 2018
Honestly, the description is what puts me off the most.

"Are you going to STEAL or CHEAT or consort with all sorts of criminals?"

Like, I'm aware that's a reality for many homeless, but, if that's how you *start* your pitch, I'm not convinced you're coming from the right place.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not art or a game with a message. Just watch the trailer for fucks sake.

The title, the description, everything points to this being in poor taste.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if this game addresses the challenging cleaning up somewhat at homeless shelter / community center, getting a hobbled together suit from salvation army and trying very, very hard to apply for job through placement centers , let alone letting a bank allow you to open an account for direct deposit so you can slowly scrounge up some kind of income with the end goal of hoping, barely hoping a housing authority or rental center for cheap one bedroom apartment will actually grant you a fucking lease without some sort of background check, no photo ID, no social security card, etc.

The fact this so called "game" already puts a homeless situation in a negative slant resort to being a criminal doesn't sit well with me.