• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Yesterday I have finished the gameplay aspect of level design of my 2d platformer (retheming will still happen), now the adventure of making a proper game out of all the material starts. Let's hope the designs, when brought into a proper order, will form a good experience. After the last few monts of level designing I am happy to be able to recharge my creative abilities for a while, it was really draining to do the level design in a huge block. I do not envy people who do level designs as a day job non stop for years, because after a few months I always feel like I drained myself of all ideas.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It was never planned to be on Switch for one and the amount of work I'd need to revise just to get it working would probably kill me. I'm really eager to move from Horror once Ergastulum is out of Early Access

Ergastulum is made in Unity, right? I'm tempted to offer myself to help with or even do the Switch port for you... but I really shouldn't, given how much I already have on my own plate right now. :D

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks so much Weltall Zero 😊

I wouldn't really know who to ask or how to phrase the forum thread without coming off like a used-car salesman lol!

I contacted mods and they told me it wouldn't count as self-promotion if someone else made the thread. Given that I've been meaning to make a "how to start making games with Unity" for a while (linking to the coursera courses, etc.) I'm taking this as a sign from the heavens / convenient push to get off my ass and finally make it. I'll try to have it by this week, OK?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, what is most peoples preferred networking solution for Unity? For VR I am using Normcore, but I am eyeing Mirror for my non-VR project.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I contacted mods and they told me it wouldn't count as self-promotion if someone else made the thread. Given that I've been meaning to make a "how to start making games with Unity" for a while (linking to the coursera courses, etc.) I'm taking this as a sign from the heavens / convenient push to get off my ass and finally make it. I'll try to have it by this week, OK?

That sounds amazing! Thank you, Weltall! I would be honored to be featured in a thread like that.

K Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Ergastulum is made in Unity, right? I'm tempted to offer myself to help with or even do the Switch port for you... but I really shouldn't, given how much I already have on my own plate right now. :D

hah it is Unity. Wait till you see my "designer" code.. it will drive anyone mad... its not the greatest of coding ;)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
hah it is Unity. Wait till you see my "designer" code.. it will drive anyone mad... its not the greatest of coding ;)

Hahah, don't worry about that, through 20+ years of coding I've had to deal with pretty much everything up to and including people that "subclassed" by copying the whole class file and changing a couple of things in the new one (then, for some reason, making the new class an actual subclass of the old one).

ac0.jpg

Worst case I bail out, best case I share good coding practices with you!

But again this would be sometime in the near future because my plate is very much full right now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That sounds amazing! Thank you, Weltall! I would be honored to be featured in a thread like that.

It is done:
www.resetera.com

Painlessly learn to make games with free online university courses and more

Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero? Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start? Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the...
Let me know if everything seems fine or if I should change anything about it, OK? :)

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
It is done:
www.resetera.com

Do you want to learn game development but your budget is literally zero? Have you wanted to learn how to make a game for a while, but don't know where to even start? Are you intimidated by the more technical parts of game development? If the answer to any of the above is "yes", then this is the...
Let me know if everything seems fine or if I should change anything about it, OK? :)

As mentioned in the main thread, thank you! What you had to say was perfect. Humbled to be a part of the two entry-points for others and hope that it helps anyone interested on here take the plunge!

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I realise it's been a while since I posted in this thread (again...), but I figured this might be a somewhat interesting anecdote.

For a couple of years now, I've had alpha testing as a tier on CnW's Patreon, which has been incredibly helpful when it comes to getting feedback and eyes on the game. Over the last couple of weeks a small speedrunning community has started forming, rather surprisingly! Their biggest requested feature was a timer. After some back and forth it turns out that one of the biggest barriers when it comes to people choosing a game to speedrun can be hardware, because unlike consoles, PC load-times vary quite a bit, meaning that it can literally be pay to win in some cases.

By working alongside a couple of key members of this fledgling community we settled on a solution: A timer that is toggleable from the main menu, but automatically pauses outside of actual gameplay sections. This way everyone has the same chances regardless of load times, and an easy way to consistently time each run.

Anyway, the lesson I've learned is that sometimes an audience does actually know what they want, contrary to what experience had taught me so far :p

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I realise it's been a while since I posted in this thread (again...), but I figured this might be a somewhat interesting anecdote.

For a couple of years now, I've had alpha testing as a tier on CnW's Patreon, which has been incredibly helpful when it comes to getting feedback and eyes on the game. Over the last couple of weeks a small speedrunning community has started forming, rather surprisingly! Their biggest requested feature was a timer. After some back and forth it turns out that one of the biggest barriers when it comes to people choosing a game to speedrun can be hardware, because unlike consoles, PC load-times vary quite a bit, meaning that it can literally be pay to win in some cases.

By working alongside a couple of key members of this fledgling community we settled on a solution: A timer that is toggleable from the main menu, but automatically pauses outside of actual gameplay sections. This way everyone has the same chances regardless of load times, and an easy way to consistently time each run.

Anyway, the lesson I've learned is that sometimes an audience does actually know what they want, contrary to what experience had taught me so far :p

Congrats on getting a speedrun community! That's a pretty big watershed moment for a game, especially one not yet released!

I need to add a toggleable visible timer to my game too. I already record and display play time for each run, I just don't display it during the run itself.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats on getting a speedrun community! That's a pretty big watershed moment for a game, especially one not yet released!

I need to add a toggleable visible timer to my game too. I already record and display play time for each run, I just don't display it during the run itself.
Thanks, yeah it was certainly a "moment" when it happened!

Sounds like a plan, though I would warn you that once it's visible on-screen you may feel pressure to be quick all the time...!

fengshuifever

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I posted here :| But finally decided to pick up an old project again and rework a ton of stuff.
Started out with rewriting some of the characters and I think I've written the main character story at least 4 times in the last week more than I did in the 5 years I was originally working on it haha
Rethinking the visual design of it too, originally it was 3D Camera/Movement but I'm thinking of shifting it to static cameras and doing a faux-prerendered look. Totally not because I'm not super skilled at 3D at all haha

Sep 7, 2018
I found out players can collab on levels like in LBP in Dreams. Does anyone on here want to collaborate? I've been stuck for some time and I can use some help.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my #screenshotsaturday of the week :)

Somehow I have better luck when posting Gifs than videos 🤔

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't got much coding work done the last couple of weeks but I've been working on and off on music as of late and it's been kind of fun. I have a bit too many WIPs and barely anything that feels like a finished song but I've been enjoying the process.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
I found out players can collab on levels like in LBP in Dreams. Does anyone on here want to collaborate? I've been stuck for some time and I can use some help.

What kind of level/game are you trying to make? I'm new to Dreams and haven't watched a single tutorial video but have been meaning to for a while now. I made a couple of levels in Little Big Planet.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What do people tend to use for creating their 3D models on a cheap (read: free hopefully) budget? I've found a few possible solutions like Blender, Daz, and makehuman, but I was wondering if there was one that people in particular liked/gave good results.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
What do people tend to use for creating their 3D models on a cheap (read: free hopefully) budget? I've found a few possible solutions like Blender, Daz, and makehuman, but I was wondering if there was one that people in particular liked/gave good results.
Just learn Blender, it has everything you will need and more for free. Even if you use Daz or Makehuman to create base characters you will need a proper 3D modelling tool to make changes and fixes.
I say this as a programmer that made the jump to 3D art.

Edit: also for texturing I use Substance Painter but that's not free.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I love blender and it just keeps getting better.

Makehuman is really nice for quickly making a foundation for your character. I use it to get the base look and then I export to Blender to make adjustments and make clothes.
devplayer1.png

Blender is also great because it can do things like fabric simulation. I don't have the skills to model high quality fabric deformation, but I could physically simulate this shirt in blender and get great results.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just learn Blender, it has everything you will need and more for free. Even if you use Daz or Makehuman to create base characters you will need a proper 3D modelling tool to make changes and fixes.
I say this as a programmer that made the jump to 3D art.

Edit: also for texturing I use Substance Painter but that's not free.
I love blender and it just keeps getting better.

Makehuman is really nice for quickly making a foundation for your character. I use it to get the base look and then I export to Blender to make adjustments and make clothes.
devplayer1.png

Blender is also great because it can do things like fabric simulation. I don't have the skills to model high quality fabric deformation, but I could physically simulate this shirt in blender and get great results.

Thanks for the input! I've currently made a doughnut and a coffee cup in blender, but that is about the extent of my expertise on it. Do you have any recommendations (i.e tutorials) on getting started with models of people? I'm sure some of the skills apply, but it just sounds daunting haha.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the input! I've currently made a doughnut and a coffee cup in blender, but that is about the extent of my expertise on it. Do you have any recommendations on getting started with models of people? I'm sure some of the skills apply, but it just sounds daunting haha.
I only started modeling humans and organic objects a year ago, but my workflow is to make the person in makehuman look as close as possible to what you want. Then you export that to blender.

In blender, apply a multires modifier that adds a lot more detail to the mesh. This allows you to make fine adjustments in sculpt mode that can be baked into your lower res model. If you search for blender sculpting tutorials, you should be able to find guides explaining how it works.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Open question: What's your favorite aid for improving your craft? In this case, level design. I feel I could use some fresh perspectives and ideas, be it beginner books or websites, or something more advanced. We all probably have our own idea on what good or bad level design is, but it's something else to put it into words or some concrete, I feel.

Sep 7, 2018
What kind of level/game are you trying to make? I'm new to Dreams and haven't watched a single tutorial video but have been meaning to for a while now. I made a couple of levels in Little Big Planet.
I'm making a 2D platformer. I did most of the tutorials, but it's just such a struggle for me. I need someone to help with the mechanics of the level.

Oct 25, 2017
I released my iOS/Android pool game a few weeks ago and uptake has been really disappointing. Would appreciate anyone (particularly US-based fans of pool) trying it out and giving me any pointers on how it plays and how I can market it.

play.google.com

Total Pool 2 - Apps on Google Play

The best mobile pool game in the world
apps.apple.com

‎Total Pool 2

‎Total Pool 2 delivers the best pool game on the market. Eight-Ball, Nine-Ball and UK Pool variants are all included with true-to-life billiard physics, graphics, rulesets and AI. Try to master the five tournaments to prove your worth. Line up the balls to improve your skills in the practice mode.

E7rD42AwoqC3F47282t877_kiiUajaG1WB6wQ7Nx6QvZLTMWLp2gODhkVpMYyEbGm0I=w2306-h1238-rw

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I released my iOS/Android pool game a few weeks ago and uptake has been really disappointing. Would appreciate anyone (particularly US-based fans of pool) trying it out and giving me any pointers on how it plays and how I can market it.
I've been looking for a good pool game forever. Fiddled around in practice a little bit just now and here were my initial thoughts:

• Feels really good to play. Interface is clean, smooth, responsive. I love the shot power preview, I love that it's a semi-transparent bar that's the width of the ball and not just a line like many other pool games. It gives the player some really good information, but also feels less intrusive/cheating-y compared to the straight lines of other games.
  • The break physics felt a little off? But I don't play a lot of real pool, just games. It could've very well just been me, or comparing to other games I've played. I didn't experiment thoroughly.
  • Really wish there was a way to skip to the end of turns with a doubletap or something. Not a big deal though.
  • I couldn't find a way to automatically re-centre my spin, that would be really nice if it's not in yet.
  • Obviously a huge ask, but my biggest want would be local multiplayer on different devices.
  • The play button at the bottom right after selecting a mode is really unintuitive.
Re:Marketing, for me who has been looking for a really solid pool game for a long time the most important things to me are Quality of Life. I didn't have much time to look at any options to see what could be tweaked but the more options you give the player to play how they are most comfortable, and the more elegant it is as a whole (which is the biggest strength of what you've put together imo) the more appealing it is. I'll have a deeper dive when I get home.

Right now it runs like a dream compared to others i've played both on mobile and console (51 Worldwide Classics is so bad!!!), and I think with a bigger push on those quality of life aspects, advertising that would be the best way to go.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for a good pool game forever. Fiddled around in practice a little bit just now and here were my initial thoughts:
  • Feels really good to play. Interface is clean, smooth, responsive. I love the shot power preview, I love that it's a semi-transparent bar that's the width of the ball and not just a line like many other pool games. It gives the player some really good information, but also feels less intrusive/cheating-y compared to the straight lines of other games.
  • The break physics felt a little off? But I don't play a lot of real pool, just games. It could've very well just been me, or comparing to other games I've played. I didn't experiment thoroughly.
  • Really wish there was a way to skip to the end of turns with a doubletap or something. Not a big deal though.
  • I couldn't find a way to automatically re-centre my spin, that would be really nice if it's not in yet.
  • Obviously a huge ask, but my biggest want would be local multiplayer on different devices.
  • The play button at the bottom right after selecting a mode is really unintuitive.
Re:Marketing, for me who has been looking for a really solid pool game for a long time the most important things to me are Quality of Life. I didn't have much time to look at any options to see what could be tweaked but the more options you give the player to play how they are most comfortable, and the more elegant it is as a whole (which is the biggest strength of what you've put together imo) the more appealing it is. I'll have a deeper dive when I get home.

Right now it runs like a dream compared to others i've played both on mobile and console (51 Worldwide Classics is so bad!!!), and I think with a bigger push on those quality of life aspects, advertising that would be the best way to go.
Oh wow, thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate it.
  • This is great to hear, I've put a huge amount of work into making ball guides that are fun but fair, and somehow correspond to tricky shots in real life also being tricky in the game. Yeah I think other games get this wrong a lot.
  • I know that other games get break physics wrong, but I think mine also feel wrong, especially for pool. I only have a few parameters to tweak, the ball friction and restitution, the table friction and the separation between the balls. I've noticed that some pool tutorial videos say "hit the balls here and this one might go in", and on my rack it doesn't ever go in. Hopefully with some minor tweaking I can make this feel better as I know it's very important.
  • You mean to skip to the end of your shot? Or to skip the AI when it is taking a shot? Or skip/fast-forward all the AI shots?
  • Yes you can't recentre the spin, that would be useful, will try and think of an intuitive way of doing this.
  • Do you mean playing online against other people? Or playing against someone in the same room but on a different device? (e.g. via bluetooth). I've implemented the former in a previous snooker game using game center and google play game services. But it wasn't worth the upkeep effort since barely anyone used it. Of course at the moment with around 50 players per day in total it doesn't make much sense yet.
  • That's interesting to hear, I think it probably is unintuitive, and I imagine a bunch of people have probably never made it past the title screen. I'm not sure what to do without reworking the whole menu system. I don't know if a different icon would help.
That's my main goal, elegance and simplicity, just the pool game you want to play if you like pool, I'm happy to hear some of that is coming through. As I'm more familiar with UK pool and snooker it's interesting to hear how all of this translates to American pool. Yeah any non dedicated pool or snooker game is probably going to suck, it takes a lot of effort to get the details right and you notice them very quickly if they aren't.

Anyway thanks again, keen to hear more thoughts.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i'm feeling the urge again... the urge to start another project...

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I had the luck to score a video interview with a small Indie dev about their game that releases tomorrow on Switch,PS4, Steam and XBO. We also talked a lot about level design, successes, challenges etc. so I figured it might be of interest to you guys :)
If you find the content enjoyable, a like/subscribe would help immensely to continue these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbhtZBkjFN0

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
  • This is great to hear, I've put a huge amount of work into making ball guides that are fun but fair, and somehow correspond to tricky shots in real life also being tricky in the game. Yeah I think other games get this wrong a lot.
You totally nailed this aspect, I think it's my favourite aspect of the entire thing so well done at finding that sweet spot between real life angle ambiguity and video game explicitness.

• I know that other games get break physics wrong, but I think mine also feel wrong, especially for pool. I only have a few parameters to tweak, the ball friction and restitution, the table friction and the separation between the balls. I've noticed that some pool tutorial videos say "hit the balls here and this one might go in", and on my rack it doesn't ever go in. Hopefully with some minor tweaking I can make this feel better as I know it's very important.

So I just went into practice mode and spent about 5 minutes just trying all sorts of different angles and strengths (using 8-ball, Triangle, 9 ft table). Something I noticed is that if I aimed at the second or third row ball on either side on high power, some of the balls would stay in place and be spinning very fast? I can't even begin to assume what the cause of this is or whether it's related to my other feelings about the break feeling a bit weird, but I also had dozens of breaks that felt pretty perfect. Especially hitting the triangle head on at various powers felt just right. So I think there's possibly some interaction between balls that is contributing to the weird feeling, especially regards to spin.

• You mean to skip to the end of your shot? Or to skip the AI when it is taking a shot? Or skip/fast-forward all the AI shots?
I mean just any shot. e.g You make your shot (or watch the opponent make their shot), and then you enter some sort of input and it fast forwards to the final locations of the balls. Essentially just calculates the final position and moves the balls to those positions immediately. A few other games I know of do this.
  • Yes you can't recentre the spin, that would be useful, will try and think of an intuitive way of doing this.
imo Double-Tap is the best way here. Just double tap on the cue ball and it auto-centres.

• Do you mean playing online against other people? Or playing against someone in the same room but on a different device? (e.g. via bluetooth). I've implemented the former in a previous snooker game using game center and google play game services. But it wasn't worth the upkeep effort since barely anyone used it. Of course at the moment with around 50 players per day in total it doesn't make much sense yet.
Naaah not online Totally not worth it, I agree. I meant the latter, someone else with their own device but same room via bluetooth or on the same wifi network or something. My housemate and I are itching for a comfortable, functional local pool game.

• That's interesting to hear, I think it probably is unintuitive, and I imagine a bunch of people have probably never made it past the title screen. I'm not sure what to do without reworking the whole menu system. I don't know if a different icon would help.
Two big things on this for me:

1. The button is always there and also functions as a "Select" button. So if I've swiped to an option and press the yellow button, that selects it in the same way that tapping the option itself. So it's not intuitive to then assume that it would start the match beyond that? I would just throw in a separate button on the Rule selection screen (where you choose triangle/table size etc) that says "Start Game"
2. Positioning! on a mobile device it's very likely that someone's hand is covering up that button and they don't even see it and can't figure out how to start a game.

Also, just looking at it again now. My phone's screen has curved corners, and the buttons themselves are cut off (Forward, Backward and Settings buttons)

yKZ1Iul.jpg

J6XYdDF.jpg

Also, I wasn't able to recreate it but I got a weird defect where the forward/back buttons were like, 2cm to the left each after I changed the button size in the options. I'm a software tester by trade so me not being able to reproduce it is probably a good sign? But something to keep an eye on.

That's my main goal, elegance and simplicity, just the pool game you want to play if you like pool, I'm happy to hear some of that is coming through. As I'm more familiar with UK pool and snooker it's interesting to hear how all of this translates to American pool. Yeah any non dedicated pool or snooker game is probably going to suck, it takes a lot of effort to get the details right and you notice them very quickly if they aren't.

Anyway thanks again, keen to hear more thoughts.

Oh I should've mentioned that I'm Australian, not American. But probably many of the pool games I've played are american? And I would say you have absolutely succeeded with elegance/simplicity. I'm not blowing smoke up your butt when I say it's one of the nicest feeling pool games I've played.

Consider me highly invested in this project, feel free to message me here if you wanna talk more about it. Genuinely happy to help.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
I've given the game a quick go and was also going to point out the curved corners on my phone covering buttons. Your photo also points out another bit of feedback I was going to add - that "Tap the cue ball to adjust spin" message covers the actual table and doesn't seem to fade out or disappear when I was taking a shot... and the ball I was trying to hit was under the message :)

Edit: I now realise that you can tap on them to make them disappear. Is that them gone forever?

Edit 2: Messages came back... maybe annoying after a while?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So I just went into practice mode and spent about 5 minutes just trying all sorts of different angles and strengths (using 8-ball, Triangle, 9 ft table). Something I noticed is that if I aimed at the second or third row ball on either side on high power, some of the balls would stay in place and be spinning very fast? I can't even begin to assume what the cause of this is or whether it's related to my other feelings about the break feeling a bit weird, but I also had dozens of breaks that felt pretty perfect. Especially hitting the triangle head on at various powers felt just right. So I think there's possibly some interaction between balls that is contributing to the weird feeling, especially regards to spin.
Yeah I've seen the stationary spinning balls too. I think it happens in real life to some extent but not nearly as much as in the game. I think it's probably to do with how I set up the balls and the distances between them.
I mean just any shot. e.g You make your shot (or watch the opponent make their shot), and then you enter some sort of input and it fast forwards to the final locations of the balls. Essentially just calculates the final position and moves the balls to those positions immediately. A few other games I know of do this.
That seems like a good idea, and very easy to implement (I already immediately calculate the whole shot and just play it back behind the scenes).
imo Double-Tap is the best way here. Just double tap on the cue ball and it auto-centres.
Yeah that sounds pretty intuitive to me.
Naaah not online Totally not worth it, I agree. I meant the latter, someone else with their own device but same room via bluetooth or on the same wifi network or something. My housemate and I are itching for a comfortable, functional local pool game.
Yeah like some local lan multiplayer fun, would be great, and wouldn't have the issues with matchmaking that I would have with online. I will have to investigate what is easy to implement in Unity wrt lan style multiplayer, ideally cross platform.
Two big things on this for me:

1. The button is always there and also functions as a "Select" button. So if I've swiped to an option and press the yellow button, that selects it in the same way that tapping the option itself. So it's not intuitive to then assume that it would start the match beyond that? I would just throw in a separate button on the Rule selection screen (where you choose triangle/table size etc) that says "Start Game"
2. Positioning! on a mobile device it's very likely that someone's hand is covering up that button and they don't even see it and can't figure out how to start a game.
Ah right yeah, a separate "Start game" button at the bottom makes sense. Will add this to the list of things to do.
Also, just looking at it again now. My phone's screen has curved corners, and the buttons themselves are cut off (Forward, Backward and Settings buttons)

yKZ1Iul.jpg

J6XYdDF.jpg
Oh man, that's awful. I am trying to use the unity screen safe area, however it clearly doesn't match up with your device. Can I ask what device that is? Obviously UI elements shouldn't be hidden behind corners and cameras
Also, I wasn't able to recreate it but I got a weird defect where the forward/back buttons were like, 2cm to the left each after I changed the button size in the options. I'm a software tester by trade so me not being able to reproduce it is probably a good sign? But something to keep an eye on.
Yup will bear that in mind, thanks.
Oh I should've mentioned that I'm Australian, not American. But probably many of the pool games I've played are american? And I would say you have absolutely succeeded with elegance/simplicity. I'm not blowing smoke up your butt when I say it's one of the nicest feeling pool games I've played.

Consider me highly invested in this project, feel free to message me here if you wanna talk more about it. Genuinely happy to help.
Cool, thanks a lot, australian input is of course very welcome! And I'm very grateful for the feedback. I have Black Ball pool as an option in the game (under UK pool....don't sue me!). I think that's popular in Australia right? If you are familiar with it that'd also be interesting to hear your opinion on.
I've given the game a quick go and was also going to point out the curved corners on my phone covering buttons. Your photo also points out another bit of feedback I was going to add - that "Tap the cue ball to adjust spin" message covers the actual table and doesn't seem to fade out or disappear when I was taking a shot... and the ball I was trying to hit was under the message :)

Edit: I now realise that you can tap on them to make them disappear. Is that them gone forever?

Edit 2: Messages came back... maybe annoying after a while?
Ooh thanks for the screenshot, yeah that definitely shouldn't happen with the UI elements being hidden by the screen corners and camera, need to look into this deeper.

Yeah you figured the hints are hidable by tapping, I guess adding a "close" cross would be even better. They come back if I think you aren't using a feature much, e.g. playing shots with no spin gives the spin hint, and you can turn hints completely off in the settings, it's definitely not optimal though as you've found out.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I reached the 10 review threshold (100% positive, woop, woop!), but my game is in desperate need of a trailer. Would you have any (free) software to recommend? As an editing novice, I'd like something easy rather than powerful. Something that just gets the job done. Appreciate all suggestions!

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I reached the 10 review threshold (100% positive, woop, woop!), but my game is in desperate need of a trailer. Would you have any (free) software to recommend? As an editing novice, I'd like something easy rather than powerful. Something that just gets the job done. Appreciate all suggestions!
I've been using HitFilm Express lately for my basic video editing needs. It's easy enough for just cutting clips together at least.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, that's awful. I am trying to use the unity screen safe area, however it clearly doesn't match up with your device. Can I ask what device that is? Obviously UI elements shouldn't be hidden behind corners and cameras

Cool, thanks a lot, australian input is of course very welcome! And I'm very grateful for the feedback. I have Black Ball pool as an option in the game (under UK pool....don't sue me!). I think that's popular in Australia right? If you are familiar with it that'd also be interesting to hear your opinion on.

Ooh thanks for the screenshot, yeah that definitely shouldn't happen with the UI elements being hidden by the screen corners and camera, need to look into this deeper.
Phone is OnePlus Nord N10. I honestly didn't even notice the camera thing. That's just a weird quirk of the phone. A lot of things in Landscape mode have the camera cutting stuff off. Depends how I rotate it so it's a bit of a niche problem. I wouldn't worry too much there.

Unfortunately I'm only really familiar with 8ball and 9ball. Sorry :-/

Oct 25, 2017
Phone is OnePlus Nord N10. I honestly didn't even notice the camera thing. That's just a weird quirk of the phone. A lot of things in Landscape mode have the camera cutting stuff off. Depends how I rotate it so it's a bit of a niche problem. I wouldn't worry too much there.

Unfortunately I'm only really familiar with 8ball and 9ball. Sorry :-/
Ah ok, well nevertheless it would be nice to make an app that doesn't ever get cut off the corners like that. I guess it just makes no sense to put UI elements in corners these days.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
I'm offering something here, so hopefully this doesn't come off as self-promo. If it isn't appropriate to the mods, feel free to remove it.

I've uploaded 3 music packs to the Unity Asset Store and a few other marketplaces, and I'd like to offer some of you devs free usage of them as a ResetEra special. I can create voucher codes (12 per year per pack) if any of you want to grab one or two of these packs and use them in your projects.

assetstore.unity.com

Steven McDonald Cinematic Music - Asset Store

Welcome to Steven McDonald Cinematic Music! I create modern music with high production value, keeping things easy to work with and tailored to fit visual media. If you want your game to sound expensive, I hope you'll find what you need here.

I could use some reviews on them in order to get a rating, so I'd appreciate any of you doing that in return. Just PM me if you want to use one of the packs, and I'll make you a voucher code to get the download. Hopefully you can still leave a review if you use a voucher code. Haven't tested that yet!

I'm also gonna work on porting these to the Unreal Engine Marketplace in the meantime :)

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I just feel so unfocused. I have a couple unity tutorials on udemy, but still feel lost and i'm just transcribing. I downloaded blender because i thought just futzing around in there would inspire me - i put so much time in the Spore creature creator and think playing with shapes and animation could really motivate me to go further/deeper. Is it better to just stay within Unity and not try and learn other tools? I'm thinking I should just start with mods for things and unity makes sense for a lot of indie games I could try modding? Blender mentioned something about Python which made me think Morrowind mods might be easier there?

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel so unfocused. I have a couple unity tutorials on udemy, but still feel lost and i'm just transcribing. I downloaded blender because i thought just futzing around in there would inspire me - i put so much time in the Spore creature creator and think playing with shapes and animation could really motivate me to go further/deeper. Is it better to just stay within Unity and not try and learn other tools? I'm thinking I should just start with mods for things and unity makes sense for a lot of indie games I could try modding? Blender mentioned something about Python which made me think Morrowind mods might be easier there?

I know the feeling. I still have so many courses I haven't even started. But I feel like bite-sized tutorials on Youtube help me get started because I can just search for little curiosities like how to make a character jump that feels good. Have you done 3D art? It's pretty easy setting up a scene in Unreal if you want to toy around with that.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Do I have a thread for you!
www.resetera.com

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I know the feeling. I still have so many courses I haven't even started. But I feel like bite-sized tutorials on Youtube help me get started because I can just search for little curiosities like how to make a character jump that feels good. Have you done 3D art? It's pretty easy setting up a scene in Unreal if you want to toy around with that.
Do I have a thread for you!
www.resetera.com

❤️

[M]omo

Feb 28, 2021
Space
Been working on a multiplayer typing based moba for mobile. Hoping to launch some sort of public access this month and finally get some external feedback.

In the middle of re-doing the main menu UI to support tablets. Seems there is no easy way on Android to lock the game to phones only? I have to go through 3000 tablet devices and block them 10 at a time.... haha. If anyone knows of an easier way let me know. Doesn't make sense the Google Play console doesn't allow you to "select all" when you search device types. iOS is just one check box in build settings.

Most recent screenshots:

01_LittleRedRidingHood_BasketSwipe.png
03_KingArthurVsLittleRed_WallDestruction.png
02_LittleRedvsCaptainAhab_HeroFight.png
04_LittleRedvsCaptainAhab_WhiteWhale_Woodsman.png

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
We just added a MEGA CHICKEN boss to our RTS/roguelite game Bosslords. Still work in progress and no sounds yet but I already love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.