• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I've been getting some solid development time over the Christmas break. Can't wait to get to combat fx:

Chironex_png.png

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Screenshot Saturday and also a new year. Someone was sick of just stills, so I made a couple of short videos

Combat is almost where I want it. Maybe some fiddling with camera angles and some minor "state" bug (one of which is on the lock on video.)
but I am very happy with how it feels gamewise

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from an anonymous user!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Anonymous said:
Redemption instructions

The redemption deadline is March 31, 2021, 12:00:00 AM PDT.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Synty Store Synty Store: $10 Voucher for Synty Store - Won by _Rob_ _Rob_ (2 entries)

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Back from my break and solved some problems I was struggling with. It's nice to look over my project with fresh eyes. I've got one more programming task left related to audio. After that it's the last push to get the vertical slice done which is: finish drawing the rooms, building puzzles and fleshing out the HISText side of things a tad. Should be fun... hopefully.

Here's what it looks like at the moment. Sorry for the poor quality.

And a little sneak peek.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey guys, I was wondering: is there any toolset out there that offers good support to raspberry pi, orange pi architecture? Which one is the best?

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping to take advantage of the Unity Asset Store sale to shore up some items for an upcoming VR project, but I'm embarrassed to say my brain has been scrambled this last week or two and I haven't researched it enough, and the sale ends tonight. I'd like to at least grab a few things that might be helpful.

The project is a bit like Bogo, if you've ever seen that, but with more of a person-like monster companion. A fair bit of dialogue, and some mini-games. The plan is to make this for PC VR, Quest 2, and hopefully Quest 1 if I can work the game into the hardware's limitations. (I've already made a Quest 1 micro-project, so I know it's a tight squeeze.)

Assets are something I'll probably have to sort out on my own (I've been looking at Synty's Polygon series, but I'm not sure how appealing the assets would look close-up in VR), but suggestions for tools, rigged hand models that can be customized, etc. would help a lot.

For example, I was eyeballing this Hand Collision tool, which seemed promising: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/auto-hand-vr-165323

Edit: Got some recommendations elsewhere, but suggestions are still welcome.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Been working on non-coding stuff all vacation like art and music so now that I'm back at work where I code, that means it is time to start coding in my game again

Working on some simple UI stuff cause it's probably the area I'm least happy with atm. Next is a health display meter.
eHcXLwn.gif

Also should the OT name be updated to 2021?

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm doing another Mapcore challenge - been documenting my process in this thread:

And here's where I'm at so far. Am I an enviornment artist yet?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited for the change of my game's pricing model to F2P this upcoming week. My primary motivation is to attract more players, which would give me much stronger satisfaction than a handful of sales.

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
I'm doing another Mapcore challenge - been documenting my process in this thread:
-
And here's where I'm at so far. Am I an enviornment artist yet?
-
The cable makes nice set dressing, but if you ever need a more general solution to intersections like that, you could try mesh decals. This is a good example of how they work, and this is how you set them up in Unreal. The cables definitely add to the scene, though, so maybe combining the two things would let you bring that one off wall a bit to match the more natural look of the other one.

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
you could try mesh decals.
Yeah, that's what all of the other details in the scene are! All of that geo is actually flat, I'm using normal map decals to add detail (I mention it in the previous tweet). I just didn't think it would work well on an inner corner (inside corners are usually dirty, but undamaged). That's where artists tend to use blends or those wee skirt things, I just didn't really feel it would fit no texture/no gradient style I was going for. And there's no need to do anything too complicated when a cable works just fine ;D

Edit: but also, thanks for the link! It's great to see a breakdown of mesh skirts too (I want to use them for another project) :)

Last edited:

poliwhirl

Sep 14, 2018
(I mention it in the previous tweet)
Aha, yeah, I noticed that after I took a better look at the thread 😅

But you're definitely right that the cable works fine here. I only wanted to mention it in case you had a situation where you couldn't find a natural prop to cover it. I know what you mean about the inner corner being less damaged but I think if you're using normal decals all over the place anyway, smoothing it somehow is more visually appealing than a razor sharp intersection. This is a quick and dirty test with a decal, and without. It's only a 4 tri mesh with a 1x64 gradient texture, could be worth having just to slap around.

Anyway, nice work so far, good luck with the rest :)

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
This is a quick and dirty test with a decal, and without. It's only a 4 tri mesh with a 1x64 gradient texture, could be worth having just to slap around.
I love how reuseable this is, so I'll probably make one anyway just to use where I need. I also should probably move some of my edge wear to floaters rather than decals (not because this needs to run fast, but it's a good habit to get into).

Here's how stuff is looking now...

Oct 29, 2017
Scandinavian dev here - Hi all! :)

I've been working on a project, Beggar's Choice, and I'm at a point where I would like some feedback, before I continue on.

I hope some of you will take the time to give my short demo (10-15 minutes) a try. You can get it here:
beggargame.com

alpha - Beggars Choice

Thank you for showing interest in Beggar's Choice Beggar's Choice is, for the most part, a one man show. The game is a passion project, still in it's infancy, but with most of it's core systems in place. I hope you'll give this short slice of the game a try - perhaps even report any […]

The Beggar can "hide" on a plane behind the bullets

Beggar is a 2D side-scroller, adapting the gameplay from Dark Thorne, and speeding it up, with a larger focus on mobility and player input. Visually it's inspired by several games on the Amiga 500, mainly Shadow of the Beast and Moonstone.

Please give the game a try, and feel free to leave a response in this thread. Thanks!

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I'm getting close to having a functional demo of Void Marauders so I uploaded a new gameplay video:

It's gonna be tight but I think I'll be able to particiapte in the Steam festival. We'll see if it was worth the effort (well, at least it was good motivation to focus and get stuff done).

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(sigh) I know this is annoying vaguebooking, but I miss this thread and really wish I could share my work :( I lurk here a lot and don't really post, but I wanna say that so many of these projects look so cool and I'm really looking forward to playing them!

<3<3<3

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
(sigh) I know this is annoying vaguebooking, but I miss this thread and really wish I could share my work :( I lurk here a lot and don't really post, but I wanna say that so many of these projects look so cool and I'm really looking forward to playing them!

<3<3<3

It's perfectly fine, the support is much appreciated. <3

I keep putting this off but we need to make a thread where indie devs ask for general members to try their games. We're usually too busy to try each other's games and we have a developer's mindset anyway and often focus on different things than gamers without a dev background.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Spent today working on an animation for the tutorial fight, low quality gif attached.

FTw9bEL.gif

Very glad I've been pretty consistent about working on the game, even with going back to work. Small progress is still progress.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Adding a traditional gibbing effect. It's a skeletal mesh swap in Unreal with a completely new PhAT asset and broken constraint (same as Gears 1 which was also built in Unreal).

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Thought I'd share something going wrong...

...and to expand on this, the problems weren't visual - it's rough looking, but that's normal when exploring a mechanic. Form follows function, you know? The issue here is that whilst exploring said function I discovered that the mechanic felt confusing when looking up. Ideally, the force field would be locked to the ground, and that became a requirement to communicate to the player. This is extremely difficult ON TOP of communicating poking your gun through. This would need to be rethought to suit the perspective. Something completely out of scope for this little "for fun" exercise.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thought I'd share something going wrong...

...and to expand on this, the problems weren't visual - it's rough looking, but that's normal when exploring a mechanic. Form follows function, you know? The issue here is that whilst exploring said function I discovered that the mechanic felt confusing when looking up. Ideally, the force field would be locked to the ground, and that became a requirement to communicate to the player. This is extremely difficult ON TOP of communicating poking your gun through. This would need to be rethought to suit the perspective. Something completely out of scope for this little "for fun" exercise.

Just as an exercise, the solutions that came to my mind were:
- For the readability of the gun, color the entire gun a different color when it's gone through a portal enough that it will shoot through it. I guess the way to compute that would be to check if the segment from the tip of the gun to the player's eyes goes through a portal itself.
- For the "looking up" issue, limit how far up the player can look (e.g. 45º max, or less), although of course the viability of that depends on the rest of the map and what it requires). As a bonus that solves a common issue with FPS that don't have that limit, where looking straight up and spinning around can be really disorienting. :)

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Aye, they're just patches to the problems. It's a fundamentally messy mechanic when moving to 3D, it would probably need a redesign. Like I said, aesthetically it could be very easy to sovle, it's problems are within the design.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017

My screenshot saturday. This took me about 6 hours-ish over two days to make. I'm actually quite proud of that, it's the best face I've ever drawn. Trying to crank out the vertical slice at the moment. I'm trying so hard to resist fixing/improving/tinkering with code until after I'm done with this, just logging it all down for the next milestone.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all. First, I wanted to say how impressed I am with the game dev community on ERA. You all are doing some fantastic, creative and interesting things, and it's been a pleasure lurking in this thread and seeing the fruits of your labor! Second, I'd like to participate after quite a while and share a new waterfall puzzle of sorts I made for my own game, made in RPG Maker MV. Looking to clean up the tiles that appear when the boulder is pushed. Regardless, this puzzle is meant to teach the player they can push boulders, meant to be done in a later part of this dungeon.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I finally replaced my prototype with a demo. It's a very early demo but a demo nonetheless:

Now I'm going through the process of uploading the demo to Steam. I just want to be done with this festival stuff, having a deadline worked as a way of making me work harder but now I want to go back to my previous rythm.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Scanline hit FX in Unreal.

The Jelly Fish writes to custom stencil which is sampled in a post-process and shifted horizontally.

LTZX90g.jpg

Love it!

One suggestion that may or may not help: when it gets destroyed and falls to bits, maybe set the physics on the bits to be low gravity/damping? would be consistent with the "floating" of the Jelly Fish

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Love it!

One suggestion that may or may not help: when it gets destroyed and falls to bits, maybe set the physics on the bits to be low gravity/damping? would be consistent with the "floating" of the Jelly Fish

Yo...that's a good catch. I'll try it out thanks!

I might be getting an actual vfx artist to help me out so the visuals may get a boost here shortly :)

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
At risk of sounding like a fickle person, I'm starting to think that I should just register my X-COM inspired game for the next Steam festival (June, I think) instead of showing my demo next week on Steam.

Not only because I finally got some feedback saying something I already noticed: that the gameplay needs more time in the oven.

But also because having almost no feedback is feedback in itself: it means, there's nothing that draws the attention of people. Now how to solve that? that's the mystery but I'm thinking I could try to remake some of my most generic 3D assets and try to look for a more unique style (for example, I have this idea of a sci fi world where magic is used instead of advanced technology and the visual style is mixed fantasy/sci fi) and basically go back to the drawing board.

I'll give it a day or two before I decide if I stay registered for February's festival.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
At risk of sounding like a fickle person, I'm starting to think that I should just register my X-COM inspired game for the next Steam festival (June, I think) instead of showing my demo next week on Steam.

Not only because I finally got some feedback saying something I already noticed: that the gameplay needs more time in the oven.

But also because having almost no feedback is feedback in itself: it means, there's nothing that draws the attention of people. Now how to solve that? that's the mystery but I'm thinking I could try to remake some of my most generic 3D assets and try to look for a more unique style (for example, I have this idea of a sci fi world where magic is used instead of advanced technology and the visual style is mixed fantasy/sci fi) and basically go back to the drawing board.

I'll give it a day or two before I decide if I stay registered for February's festival.

Questions, what were the goals when you were going for when designing the game? Was there something you wanted to stand out? Do you have an elevator pitch for the game on why people would play it? If someone likes XCOM, what about your game would make them interested in it over just playing more XCOM? Could be story, gameplay, concept, etc.

I think this kind of questioning can help focus your idea on what you want to the game to be and can determine if you need some kind of rework. Getting attention in general is incredibly hard so I personally don't think it is fully indicative of everything. Marketing is a job in itself.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, do we plan on making a 2021 thread? Or are we gonna just stay here until it hits Post Limit and autolocks? Just asking since the OP is Perm'd and the person who was making these OTs before doesn't seem to be as active in these threads as they used to.

Anyway, my Valve Index arrived today... So I'd say it's high time for me to get cracking on a little idea I've had for awhile now that I've got the single best piece of VR hardware there is to develop-against now. See you soon, Space Cowboys...

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Questions, what were the goals when you were going for when designing the game? Was there something you wanted to stand out? Do you have an elevator pitch for the game on why people would play it? If someone likes XCOM, what about your game would make them interested in it over just playing more XCOM? Could be story, gameplay, concept, etc.

I think this kind of questioning can help focus your idea on what you want to the game to be and can determine if you need some kind of rework. Getting attention in general is incredibly hard so I personally don't think it is fully indicative of everything. Marketing is a job in itself.

The objective was to create a combat system for future projects so I don't have to start from scratch with every new game (like it happened with my previous games), making a space pirates game with it was a bonus.

I already have a pitch in my Steam page, it's not like I want to change the basic gameplay, it's just that it seems I need more time to make an attractive demo and experimenting with a different visual style might be worth my time.

And yes, getting attention is hard but I can't just pretend everything is right if I get none. Something must change.

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
And yes, getting attention is hard but I can't just pretend everything is right if I get none. Something must change.
It depends on what attention you are looking for. What's your goal from said attention?

On my side of things, pretty much done with this scene - got one model left to work on before I spend time figuring out how to present this (I'm not an artist so I have no idea about this kinda thing).

Side note: if I was to make a blog post/video/whatever showing how I put this together, what aspects would people find most interesting? I'm compeltely okay with going 100% transparent on any aspect :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

This is really, really important, especially the part about "the hook". You want your game to be "like XCOM, but [x]!", never "just like XCOM". Because, as you say, that begs the question "why would I play this instead of XCOM?".

That said:

The objective was to create a combat system for future projects so I don't have to start from scratch with every new game (like it happened with my previous games), making a space pirates game with it was a bonus.

I already have a pitch in my Steam page, it's not like I want to change the basic gameplay, it's just that it seems I need more time to make an attractive demo and experimenting with a different visual style might be worth my time.

Looking again at Void Marauder's Steam page, your game does have a pretty interesting pitch. Out of curiosity, who have you recruited for feedback that is not reporting back? I see the page has no demo, so I'm assuming friends and family? Don't judge an indie game's potential popularity from that because most people aren't that interested in indie games to begin with, and even less specific subgenres like XCOM-likes. You can definitely find a sizable, devoted audience for these within the larger ocean of gamers in general.

I also see you have 2000 followers on Twitter, which is 20x what I have, hahah. You must definitely be doing something right!

Out of curiosity, do we plan on making a 2021 thread? Or are we gonna just stay here until it hits Post Limit and autolocks? Just asking since the OP is Perm'd and the person who was making these OTs before doesn't seem to be as active in these threads as they used to.

I really should put aside some time to make three new threads:
- The next OT.
- The "so you want to get into game development" thread (where I link to a modern and editable version of that ancient post of mine about the University of Michigan courses, which BTW are apparently getting a full revamp this year).
- The "so you want to test games and give feedback" thread (where players and devs can meet and have the latter provide keys or whatever to the former, so they can give feedback).
... and then have each link to each other for visibility.

Unfortunately I'm currently pretty busy with v.2.0 of my own game which I released recently in beta form to testers and I'm getting an unexpectedly (but in hindsight, given that the previous version was from March, predictable) amount of feedback for it; I'm having trouble even replying to everyone. I generally disconnect on Sundays for mental hygiene so I'll see if I can set aside some time to prepare the above OTs.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
It depends on what attention you are looking for. What's your goal from said attention?

Attention is the goal itself, if random people are not saying anything about your game (good or bad) then something's wrong. I need to find a way to make at least a few people stop scrolling when I post something on Twitter or Steam.

Looking again at Void Marauder's Steam page, your game does have a pretty interesting pitch. Out of curiosity, who have you recruited for feedback that is not reporting back? I see the page has no demo, so I'm assuming friends and family? Don't judge an indie game's potential popularity from that because most people aren't that interested in indie games to begin with, and even less specific subgenres like XCOM-likes. You can definitely find a sizable, devoted audience for these within the larger ocean of gamers in general.

I also see you have 2000 followers on Twitter, which is 20x what I have, hahah. You must definitely be doing something right!

I haven't recruited people for feedback, the goal is to get organic feedback, people need to feel compelled by themselves to stop and share feedback, if I force it by recruiting people or sharing a sob story then it's not good enough to gauge interest.
2k followers on Twitter mean nothing, when I join the site I did a lot of follow back so I got my numbers up quickly but people that actually engage are just a few. In fact that's worse, it means I have 2k followers that don't feel compelled by what I post.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not debating if I'll keep working in this game, I'm GONNA finish it. What I'm debating is if I give more time in the oven to my current demo before releasing it in Steam (the one I have is already approved, I just need to press a button) and if a visual revamp would be worth my time.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Hi Dev Era,

I am currently taking a class on numerical ODEs in grad school, and out of curiosity, I started looking into the implementations used in games. From some cursory reading, it seemed like most sources advocated for RK4 or symplectic methods (Verlet or implicit Euler), but I am still wondering how a developer would decide which to implement. Could anyone provide more insight or some good reading material about choosing a method?

Status
Not open for further replies.