• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Spent the last couple days working on a game for a game jam. Theme was Surprise. Its the first thing I've actually released in like 5 years and it feels nice to actually get something out even if its unfinished and buggy. Maybe that's how Bethesda feels.

dannymate.itch.io

Time to Surprise by dannymate

Planning Surprise Assassinations

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What would you guys recommend for a tower defence-esque game? Want to branch out a little past gamemaker. (Not that I've finished anything ever)

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
What would you guys recommend for a tower defence-esque game? Want to branch out a little past gamemaker. (Not that I've finished anything ever)

You talking engine? I use Unity personally I found that the easiest to get into for me. Unreal and Unity both have visual scripting although I hear the Unreal one is currently better but Unity are working on theirs currently. You've also got the Godot engine which is open source and excels in 2D stuff but has 3D capability. They can all make tower defence games but depends on what features you want. Anything in particular?

UNREAL VISUAL SCRIPTING
fetch

UNITY VISUAL SCRIPTING CURRENT
visual-scripting-logic-1020x574%401x.jpg

GODOT WHICH ALSO APPARENTLY HAS VISUAL SCRIPTING
maxresdefault.jpg

Also if we're talking mobile games there's other things you can use like Cocos2D personally I know nothing about this area but the engines I mentioned previously can also do mobile.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Probably main thing is just how easy it is for a newbie to get in and start digging around, since I know I will only hold game-making passion for roughly a month before I get distracted by something.

Think i would like to start playing around in 3D. I'm envisioning it as like a kind of DEFCON/Low-fi aesthetic just so I don't end up spending 3 months fucking around with blender or something. Like if I can get a triangular prism to shoot spheres at a cube I will be well happy.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Probably main thing is just how easy it is for a newbie to get in and start digging around, since I know I will only hold game-making passion for roughly a month before I get distracted by something.

Think i would like to start playing around in 3D. I'm envisioning it as like a kind of DEFCON/Low-fi aesthetic just so I don't end up spending 3 months fucking around with blender or something. Like if I can get a triangular prism to shoot spheres at a cube I will be well happy.

I'm sorry to go with the boring / safe option, but at this point in time, and especially as the next logical step after GM, I would probably go with Unity. The arms race for total domination of the game dev market between Unity and UE4 (including making them as accessible as possible without losing their versatility) is making it very hard for every other engine to compete; and from these two, Unity would be the easiest to code for since it's C# based.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Time for some more updates on my space "sim" project.

Inspired by dune, a desert worm for a desert planet. Can't have the player mining all the valuable minerals on this planet without a bit of a surprise. Also if anyone is interested in the code for procedurally animating this thing I can share.

Next up are my planetary light buildings. Was getting tired of building planetary factories in the dark so I added a light pole building. Simple enough but a pretty big quality of life improvement...

And finally went on a pretty big planet/moon modeling spree (this isn't even close to all of the modeled stuff). So here's a volumetric gas giant and its 4 moons which are obviously player landable and can also have factories built on them.

Nice visuals! I like the dusty particles/atmosphere on the desert planet.

Pleiades

Dec 12, 2017

I'd probably suggest loading up Unity and just following some very basic tower defense tutorials. Brackeys has one I think and I remember watching Quill18's TD tutorial years ago. So just follow one of those or a similar tutorial from beginning to end and then start making your own modifications.

That way you get something up very quickly and wont necessarily have to understand everything that went into it before you modify that specific thing.

From there just choose a specific thing you'd like to focus on and start googling tutorials on how to do everything. TD is a simple genre to prototype so even if you don't want to dedicate a lot of time to the project you should still be left with something working at the end.

Nice visuals! I like the dusty particles/atmosphere on the desert planet.

Thanks! Atmospheres are actually quite tricky! I've been meaning to improve them too with maybe some lighting or scattering or something. Right now it doesn't take lighting into account so it's not the best it could be but I'm glad you think it looks decent :)

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
I've taken the framework/engine I've been using in my previous shooter games (written in C# for unity) and made it open source, documenting the entire core shooter codebase. It's all available here: https://github.com/twestpha/FirstPersonEngine with tons of example scenes and lots and lots of comments. It's currently intended for 2D doom style projects, with sprites for the gun and enemies. It's all meant to be edited and made into your new project, whatever you need! It's licenced under the GPL-3.0 licence, so basically do whatever you want with it, just leave the headers in the file.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I've been working more in UI while I prepare a demo for February:

I'm thinking a selling point for this game could be to go hard in the modding features, basically allow players to make total conversions for their favourite franchises. It's only an idea though because I need to research modding in Unity games first (my previous games weren't mod-friendly).

Frankly I don't expect my game to make much noise but I really needed to end my project drought and I want this XCOM-inspired combat system for future projects too.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've been working more in UI while I prepare a demo for February:

I'm thinking a selling point for this game could be to go hard in the modding features, basically allow players to make total conversions for their favourite franchises. It's only an idea though because I need to research modding in Unity games first (my previous games weren't mod-friendly).

Frankly I don't expect my game to make much noise but I really needed to end my project drought and I want this XCOM-inspired combat system for future projects too.

Honestly I've been consistently blown away every time you post anything. It's a great looking game. That's not enough for it to make noise by itself, but it certainly won't hurt, lol.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
EpEgyB2XIAIZB4G

Spent a lot of today starting to go back and update sprites so I can actually have a much more cohesive look to my RPG. I made too many sprites that were too large and complex and everything looks out of proportion with each other making the game look really ugly. Before I move forward in creating more rooms/enemies, I'm planning to try and update all old sprites to at least a certain standard I am satisfied with and that they look like they actually belong in the same game together.

I also need to completely redo my UI cause I hate it lol.

Getting back to this project has actually been really fun, I want to work on it more than I want to play video games as of late.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like weekends can be 'slow' social media wise, yet there's #screenshotsaturday on Twitter.

When have you guys have had more luck with Twitter, etc? Weekdays or weekends?

Here's my #screenshotsaturday btw :)

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like weekends can be 'slow' social media wise, yet there's #screenshotsaturday on Twitter.

When have you guys have had more luck with Twitter, etc? Weekdays or weekends?

Here's my #screenshotsaturday btw :)

Weekends can be tricky, I agree. I tend to find two things help, firstly making sure to post when America is awake and secondly taking advantage of weekday events like #indiedevhour.

Oct 27, 2017
Unity pros, help a dude out! So I just started getting into it and it was a bit overwhelming at first, but I've gotten into the general flow of creating game objects, using colliders, and attaching scripts to control them (and it actually isn't too bad in that regard), but my issues are with animations. They're a bit confusing. I've got a few questions, if anyone could answer or point to good tutorials/explanations

1. How do you see when an animation is over? I have a PlayerController and it's got an animation controller with the various player animations using it, so I can easily trigger them. The thing is some of them are uninterruptable, so I want input to be ignored until they finish, but I can seem to find out how to figure that out
  2. When dealing with 2D animation, can you layer animations on top of each other? For instance i have a player attacking. If I want his sword to have a separate collider i figure just making an animation for the sword (which i can attach a collider to) and positioning it over the player is enough, but I can't figure out how to do that really. I have prefabs for the sword animations. Do I just instantiate them? Or is there a better/more preferred way to do this?
Thanks

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
Unity pros, help a dude out! So I just started getting into it and it was a bit overwhelming at first, but I've gotten into the general flow of creating game objects, using colliders, and attaching scripts to control them (and it actually isn't too bad in that regard), but my issues are with animations. They're a bit confusing. I've got a few questions, if anyone could answer or point to good tutorials/explanations

1. How do you see when an animation is over? I have a PlayerController and it's got an animation controller with the various player animations using it, so I can easily trigger them. The thing is some of them are uninterruptable, so I want input to be ignored until they finish, but I can seem to find out how to figure that out
  2. When dealing with 2D animation, can you layer animations on top of each other? For instance i have a player attacking. If I want his sword to have a separate collider i figure just making an animation for the sword (which i can attach a collider to) and positioning it over the player is enough, but I can't figure out how to do that really. I have prefabs for the sword animations. Do I just instantiate them? Or is there a better/more preferred way to do this?
Thanks

1) You can add a function call to an animation (add event). Alternatively you can write around this by constantly checking the animation for what it's currently running but honestly that gets really messy.

Create a method in your PlayerController, add an event in the animation and then make that event call that method. Could have some flags pop off in the method to allow things to happen.

2) Child the sword to the player and then have the animation control both objects (properties within the animation). This should be easier for you to get some perfect timing between the player animation and the sword animating (hopefully that's what you meant).

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta

Thanks
Animations can always be interrupted if you want, but having said that.

for #1...here is a free asset that will give you control when an animation state starts/ends

Animator State Machine Utility | 3D Characters | Unity Asset Store

also, you could use an animation event to do what you want.

#2...not sure. I do all my work in 3d (and you could do that in 3d)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Thanks

I'm going to tell you what I should have done, instead of what I actually did (because I didn't know better at the time). It's for top-down 2D games but most of it applies to any 2D game at all. The most important thing is how you don't use transitions (a massive source of headache for me) and instead play each animation state as you want:

blog.redbluegames.com

Animating Top Down 2D Games in Unity

Using native Unity components to animate pixel art characters

As for your specific questions:
1) There's a couple of ways to know when an animation ends:
- One is simply to ask the animation how long it is in seconds, multiply it by the speed you're playing it (normally 1x), and then wait that amount of time.
- Another is to create a script that inherits from StateMachineBehaviour, add that to the animation state itself (yes, you can do this), and override the OnStateExit function.
2) This depends on whether the sword is a separate object you instantiate (e.g. your character can equip different weapons, but uses the same "swing" animation for all of them, then each weapon animates itself in sync), or if the sword is "part" of the character's animation. I have done both in my game so I can further explain how to do each.

Oct 27, 2017
1) You can add a function call to an animation (add event). Alternatively you can write around this by constantly checking the animation for what it's currently running but honestly that gets really messy.

Create a method in your PlayerController, add an event in the animation and then make that event call that method. Could have some flags pop off in the method to allow things to happen.

2) Child the sword to the player and then have the animation control both objects (properties within the animation). This should be easier for you to get some perfect timing between the player animation and the sword animating (hopefully that's what you meant).
Animator State Machine Utility | 3D Characters | Unity Asset Store
I'm going to tell you what I should have done, instead of what I actually did (because I didn't know better at the time). It's for top-down 2D games but most of it applies to any 2D game at all. The most important thing is how you don't use transitions (a massive source of headache for me) and instead play each animation state as you want:

blog.redbluegames.com

Animating Top Down 2D Games in Unity

Using native Unity components to animate pixel art characters

As for your specific questions:
1) There's a couple of ways to know when an animation ends:
- One is simply to ask the animation how long it is in seconds, multiply it by the speed you're playing it (normally 1x), and then wait that amount of time.
- Another is to create a script that inherits from StateMachineBehaviour, add that to the animation state itself (yes, you can do this), and override the OnStateExit function.
2) This depends on whether the sword is a separate object you instantiate (e.g. your character can equip different weapons, but uses the same "swing" animation for all of them, then each weapon animates itself in sync), or if the sword is "part" of the character's animation. I have done both in my game so I can further explain how to do each.

This thread is the best 😭. I'll look into all of these later today.

Weltall Zero for my question #2, could you explain both approaches? So I think I was going to use the first, if only so I could have a separate collider on the sword (so that i can tell when it hits something, not when the entire player sprite does), but i'm also interested in approach 2 just for future knowledge

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall Zero for my question #2, could you explain both approaches? So I think I was going to use the first, if only so I could have a separate collider on the sword (so that i can tell when it hits something, not when the entire player sprite does), but i'm also interested in approach 2 just for future knowledge

Sure!

For the first (simpler) approach:
- If you don't have it like this already, you should have a gameObject for your character, then another childed object (e.g. right click on the character -> "create empty") that contains the sword's collider. Name this sub-object e.g. "Sword" or "Sword Collider". The name is important for reasons mentioned below, so be sure to pick a consistent, descriptive name.
- You will only have an animator on the root (the character), not on the sword. This animator controls both your character's collider (e.g. if your character steps forward), and the sword's collider (whether it's active or not, and the size of it, if e.g. the swing has different frames with different hitboxes each).
- When you're recording animation changes on the base object (through the little red circle "record" button), Unity lets you click its sub-objects without deselecting the parent. Then you can just change the sub-object values, including their collider's position and size; these changes will be recorded in the animation of the parent object.
- An important thing to note here is that Unity records these changes referring to the name of the sub-object. If you change the name of the sub-object, the animation will break (the values will show in yellow, saying that no such sub-object exists). This also happens if you change the type of collider (e.g. from circle to box).

The second approach is considerably more complicated, and there's probably many ways to do it. What I have is a character with an animation that has them swinging an invisible weapon, and a weapon with a swing animation. Each has its own animator, and you play both animations at the same time.

In my case, for maximum flexibility (allowing any character to use any weapon), I do several things:
- On the character I animate a "point" that marks the character's hand position (simply an empty sub-object).
- I child the weapon to the aforementioned "hand" point (the weapon's center point is its the grip / handle).
- I speed up or slow down the animation speed of the character's animator to make sure the total play time of the swing animation matches the weapon's. This allows me to have weapons that swing faster or slower.

Oct 27, 2017
For the first (simpler) approach:
- If you don't have it like this already, you should have a gameObject for your character, then another childed object (e.g. right click on the character -> "create empty") that contains the sword's collider. Name this sub-object e.g. "Sword" or "Sword Collider". The name is important for reasons mentioned below, so be sure to pick a consistent, descriptive name.
- You will only have an animator on the root (the character), not on the sword. This animator controls both your character's collider (e.g. if your character steps forward), and the sword's collider (whether it's active or not, and the size of it, if e.g. the swing has different frames with different hitboxes each).
- When you're recording animation changes on the base object (through the little red circle "record" button), Unity lets you click its sub-objects without deselecting the parent. Then you can just change the sub-object values, including their collider's position and size; these changes will be recorded in the animation of the parent object.
- An important thing to note here is that Unity records these changes referring to the name of the sub-object. If you change the name of the sub-object, the animation will break (the values will show in yellow, saying that no such sub-object exists). This also happens if you change the type of collider (e.g. from circle to box).

So I sort of understand this. I've gotten part of the way, but I think I'm stuck

1. Created a "player" GameObject and all its animations (currently just 4 different ones for the different cardinal directions)
2. Created a "sword" GameObject as a child of "player" and added all its animations (the same 4 different variations)

Now I'm a bit confused. I click on one of the animations, and I see the sword there. I can add properties to it, but how do I choose which animation to add to it? As in, how do I match up the player attack up with the sword up animations? I don't see it as a property I can add

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So I sort of understand this. I've gotten part of the way, but I think I'm stuck

1. Created a "player" GameObject and all its animations (currently just 4 different ones for the different cardinal directions)
2. Created a "sword" GameObject as a child of "player" and added all its animations (the same 4 different variations)

Now I'm a bit confused. I click on one of the animations, and I see the sword there. I can add properties to it, but how do I choose which animation to add to it? As in, how do I match up the player attack up with the sword up animations? I don't see it as a property I can add

First of all, when you're adding (dragging and dropping) animations directly to a gameObject, it's probably important to know Unity is doing a lot of work for you, that you should be aware of in case you need to mess with it (and you will). In particular it is:
1) Creating an AnimatorController containing all of your animations (this will be a .controller file somewhere in your project),
2) Adding an Animator component to your gameObject, and
3) Setting the AnimatorController as the controller of the Animator.
I personally prefer to do all these steps on my own so that I can decide what folder is the AnimatorController created in, how it's named, etc. The important thing here is to be aware of what's being created and linked behind the curtains.

Second of all, is your sword animated separately from your character? As in, the sword is a different sprite with its own spritesheet? If that's the case, then you need to do something like the second approach I mentioned above. This is important because what you need to do is different depending on that.

a) If player and sword are one single sprite, then you don't need to add any animations to the sword. You will have only one animation, for the player, that controls everything else including the sword's hitbox.

b) If your player and sword are different sprites, then you indeed need to add an animator for each of them, and each animator needs to have separate animations controlling the player and sword's sprites, hitboxes, etc. There's no way (that I know of) to automatically make the sword's animation trigger when the corresponding player's animation is played: you will have to manually trigger both at once. In turn, to do this, you will need a reference to both animators, which you can do by either using GetComponentsInChildren from the player (and iterating over all the animators to trigger the animation on each), or by manually adding a field to the player that contains the sword's animator (and linking it by dragging the sword to that field in the editor).

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been recovering from a double whammy of COVID-19 and bronchitis, but the work still must be done!!

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally been working on this game for 7 years. I'm finally finishing it.

I've worked on other things simultaneously so it's not too crazy, but still. Lots and lots of iteration plus a fully functioning hard sci-fi alien language. I'll be very happy once this game is released and I can cross it off my todo list.

LuckyLactose

Mar 28, 2018

I've worked on other things simultaneously so it's not too crazy, but still. Lots and lots of iteration plus a fully functioning hard sci-fi alien language. I'll be very happy once this game is released and I can cross it off my todo list.

Nice =) What sort of game is it?

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
"Puzzle focused immersive sim" is what I'm calling it at the moment.

Permadeath makes it function like a time loop game. Make a mistake in one life and carry that information forward. It's all about learning the alien ship and systems.

You just said the magic words that'll get me immediately interested in a game. Will definitely keep an eye out for it! Do you have a steam page yet?

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
You just said the magic words that'll get me immediately interested in a game. Will definitely keep an eye out for it! Do you have a steam page yet?
Oh thanks! I don't have the steam page published yet. I wanted to lowkey announce the game today because it's the great conjunction (and my birthday). Won't have a trailer and all the marketing stuff till early next year.

LuckyLactose

Mar 28, 2018

Frobert

Oct 28, 2017

This sounds really neat, can't wait to see more. Congrats on the huge milestone!

LuckyLactose

Mar 28, 2018
Wow that's an amazing offer. I'll definitely send you a PM once the time is right. Going through console certification was pretty scary the first time as an indie dev without experience.
Please note that I don't currently have access to any certification requirements, so I can't do anything thorough when it comes to those things. I might still be able to pick up on something, but I can't do any sort of guarantee when it comes to passing certification.
Just to be clear =)

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Please note that I don't currently have access to any certification requirements, so I can't do anything thorough when it comes to those things. I might still be able to pick up on something, but I can't do any sort of guarantee when it comes to passing certification.
Just to be clear =)
No worries I understood that. I just meant that proper QA people are great at finding things that friends and family never notice.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Congratulations on both the milestone and your birthday! Is some of the stuff you showed earlier in the thread (e.g. the procedural tree) part of it or of your other projects?

Happy birthday!

If you're interested in some potential QA time, I posted some details earlier in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ho...ussion-help-and-show-off.162322/post-48491771

I just wanted to thank you again for the generosity of doing this for free, especially considering it's what you used to do for a living! I'm looking forward to having you take a look at my game once I stop finding (and squashing) bugs myself.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Question for Unity devs, what exactly is the "Free Aspect" display? I'm updating UI/art and I didn't realize it wasn't 16:9 which I'm thinking is the current plan I have for the game. I don't get what it's supposed to be used for.

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
Question for Unity devs, what exactly is the "Free Aspect" display? I'm updating UI/art and I didn't realize it wasn't 16:9 which I'm thinking is the current plan I have for the game. I don't get what it's supposed to be used for.

It's to allow the game to be played at any resolution (and therefore any aspect ratio). The option itself is to have the window in-editor not be locked to any aspect ratio. If you have UI that was put together with a specific resolution, you should use anchors to pin the ui to parts of the screen, so that the UI can be (relatively) resolution agnostic.

Here's some information on that.
learn.unity.com

Working with UI in Unity - Unity Learn

In this tutorial, you will learn: Teach how to put Anchor buttons to sides and adjust their width and height Teach how to put Anchor UI Text to the top-center of the Canvas and adjust the screen width How to use the anchor presets to lock UI elements to corners and sides of the UI menus Teach...

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations on both the milestone and your birthday! Is some of the stuff you showed earlier in the thread (e.g. the procedural tree) part of it or of your other projects?

All of that is for my other project Forged Odyssey. Hapax was shared and even originally announced years ago as VizionEck, but practically everything has changed since then.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
All of that is for my other project Forged Odyssey. Hapax was shared and even originally announced years ago as VizionEck, but practically everything has changed since then.

Very nice. I'd love to have more than one project in the oven eventually (so as to not burn out of any single one), but I don't trust myself with finishing them unless I focus on one, hahah.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
So with pc hardware so hard to obtain right now was just curious if there were any cloud based workstation solutions. Stadia seems to offer this but not for indie devs without a tax ID, and even still I would assume your working in a Linux environment so that would limiting what tools are natively available, though any platform like this is probably going to be using Linux. Stadia details on this are extremely scarce.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey all! I am back again with another tutorial. This time I learned to use Unity's new input system to get a character moving with root motion. Both are explained in rather great detail.

I hope this helps some of you! And I'm happy to help anyone out if they have any questions or get stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.