• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK

Surprisingly I'm enjoying messing with options... setting up menus themselves is a real ball ache though.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Decided to make an IndieDB page for my turn based game. I decided to call it "Void Marauders" (I wanted to call it Void Raiders but the name is taken :/ )

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Been a long time since I showed up here, wow. So, I've been prototyping a N64 Zelda-like game in Unity but I've been focusing on things like setting up the health system, picking up items like money/hearts/etc, playing an instrument, etc.

But now I wanna start actually making the player control well and I've been wondering whether to go with a rigidbody-based controller or the default character controller for this type of game. Cause ideally I'd want interactions like climbing ladders, pushing blocks, grabbing ledges, using a hookshot etc, the typical Zelda stuff. Also curious if any of those character controller solutions on the asset store are worth a look so if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Been a long time since I showed up here, wow. So, I've been prototyping a N64 Zelda-like game in Unity but I've been focusing on things like setting up the health system, picking up items like money/hearts/etc, playing an instrument, etc.

But now I wanna start actually making the player control well and I've been wondering whether to go with a rigidbody-based controller or the default character controller for this type of game. Cause ideally I'd want interactions like climbing ladders, pushing blocks, grabbing ledges, using a hookshot etc, the typical Zelda stuff. Also curious if any of those character controller solutions on the asset store are worth a look so if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.
I use Combat Framework and it has its issues. I only used a subset of its functionality and what I did use has lots of rewrites.
Combat Framework | Systems | Unity Asset Store

You may want to try this one
Third Person Controller - Basic Locomotion FREE | Utilities Tools | Unity Asset Store

and see if this system can work for you

(Note I use Cinemachine for all my camera work now. I think it is a good choice. I am not sure if the above tool integrates easily)

LuckyLactose

Mar 28, 2018
Hello!
Sparked by a message from Weltall Zero, I figured I could drop in and say hi.

If anyone's interested in a bit of QA time or similar, let me know, and I'll try to do something when I have a bit of spare time.
I've got a fairly decent-ish PC (GTX 3070, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM, 1440p/165hz), Windows 10. Gamepad available (DualSense).
I also have access to an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S9+), and an iPhone 13 Pro.

I've got 11 years of professional experience game development experience, including QA ("normal" testing + certification testing for Sony & Nintendo platforms), design (level/game), as well as game scripting/programming (scripting in a proprietary language, programming mainly in C++. Some C# on a hobby basis). The last few years have seen me work with native iOS development, using Swift.

I can't promise any specific time spent, this is purely spare-time stuff. I would prefer games that are a bit further along than "very early prototype".

If interested, feel free to send me a DM or something, and we can probably sort something out.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hello!

If anyone's interested in a bit of QA time or similar, let me know, and I'll try to do something when I have a bit of spare time.
I've got a fairly decent-ish PC (GTX 1070, i7-7700, 32 GB RAM, 1440p/165hz), Windows 10. Gamepad available (DualShock 4).
I also have access to an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S9+), and an iPhone XS Max.

I've got 11 years of professional experience game development experience, including QA ("normal" testing + certification testing for Sony & Nintendo platforms), design (level/game), as well as game scripting/programming (scripting in a proprietary language, programming mainly in C++. Some C# on a hobby basis). The last few years have seen me work with native iOS development, using Swift.

I can't promise any specific time spent, this is purely spare-time stuff. I would prefer games that are a bit further along than "very early prototype".

If interested, feel free to send me a DM or something, and we can probably sort something out.

Thank you so much, Lactose! I'll definitely send a beta Steam key your way once the next version of Divinoids is ready to test (hopefully soon!). :)

Pleiades

Dec 12, 2017
Early version of a volumetric gas giant rendering system. Reacts to lights, scene depth and runs at ~1200fps :) Whole thing done in a post processing shader.

I wasn't happy with my particle based gas giants so basically a fully custom volumetric cloud rendering system is the solution that I've ended up going with. Still not quite done but I'm only 2-3 evenings into developing it so hopefully everything works out in the end. But it's looking quite promising at the current performance level of running at 1000fps+ in the unity editor. Should be capable of handling extra detail, lighting iterations etc. Fingers crossed!

Also here's the video in tweet form: https://twitter.com/OArkko/status/1316503106079817728

Personally I'd go with a custom rigidbody based solution for the maximum amount of control. Maybe a bit harder to get up and running but for complicated stuff will pay off later. Just imho though.

Hello!

I've got a fairly decent-ish PC (GTX 1070, i7-7700, 32 GB RAM, 1440p/165hz), Windows 10. Gamepad available (DualShock 4).
I also have access to an Android device (Samsung Galaxy S9+), and an iPhone XS Max.

This is awesome of you! Personally my stuff is a bit early but offering to do this for people is great man!

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey everyone! It has been a while since I posted! I have a new video coming out this weekend, but I also still need to share my video from last month about animation retargeting! In this video, we go through the step by step process of retargeting animations from one character to another in Unity. Hope it helps some of you out!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey everyone! It has been a while since I posted! I have a new video coming out this weekend, but I also still need to share my video from last month about animation retargeting! In this video, we go through the step by step process of retargeting animations from one character to another in Unity. Hope it helps some of you out!

Amazing video; I was engrossed from beginning to end even though I don't even make 3D games! I hit "like", and didn't subscribe because I already am. You're doing really incredible and priceless work, man. :)

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Amazing video; I was engrossed from beginning to end even though I don't even make 3D games! I hit "like", and didn't subscribe because I already am. You're doing really incredible and priceless work, man. :)

Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words, Weltall Zero! I'm glad to hear that the video was able to capture your attention. That's something I really want to try and get better at. Keeping people interested for a longer amount of time on the video.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words, Weltall Zero! I'm glad to hear that the video was able to capture your attention. That's something I really want to try and get better at. Keeping people interested for a longer amount of time on the video.

I would say mission very much accomplished, especially given I'm not even the target audience, and also lack many of the fundamentals of 3D modelling.

Oct 26, 2017

Your videos are really slick and easy to follow! Keep at it dude, I sense big things ahead! :D

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I would say mission very much accomplished, especially given I'm not even the target audience, and also lack many of the fundamentals of 3D modelling.

Thank you very much again. It's a great boost in confidence to hear such kind remarks.

Your videos are really slick and easy to follow! Keep at it dude, I sense big things ahead! :D

Thank you Charles! I'm excited to see where this can go!

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been incredibly busy cranking out content for Ephemeral Tale.

store.steampowered.com

Ephemeral Tale - Weekly Pupdate (10/16/20) -- Major Update #5: Throne of Shadows - Steam News

TL;DR: For every light cast, a shadow. Enter the Realm of Shadow to continue your fight. Three new dungeons, new bosses, enemies, gear, and more!

Most recent update added 3 new zones (which, let me tell ya, making 3 zones in 3 months took the wind outta my sails), bosses, enemies, gear and all the fun stuff associated with that.

I've also been spending some time getting an Android build up and running, as I'm starting to near the end of development (well, relatively speaking). It's been an exciting journey so far, and I can't wait to see what's next!

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've started a Unity-Tutorial on Udemy for making 2D games, and i'm really having fun with it, although it's a lot to learn. Does someone have some good sources that can help beginners?

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Long time reader, first time poster (in this thread). Just wanted to share an early video of a game I'm making with a friend in our spare time.
The game is called "Bosslords", it's a Roguelite drawing some influences from games like FTL and HoMM, where you play as bosslords leading hordes of monsters against the human empire.

We are big huge fans of the genre so it's a fun game to work on! And even at this early stage, I find it fun to play; I've lost track of time while testing, so that's a good sign. lol

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! Hope this is okay and doesn't count as some sort of self promotion. But I wanted to share a couple little free gifts for Era indie devs here.

I have 2 packs of game music I've put together for the Unity Asset Store, Gamedev Market, and Itch.io. I'm also selling the tracks individually on a few non-exclusive stock music libraries. But since I fully own them still, I wanted to give some indie devs here on Era free access to them. If you use them on something, credit of some kind is appreciated, but not required. And if you like them, I'm always open to collaborating on future projects.

The first one is "Beast Mode" and it's a super modern industrial/electronic hybrid thing focused on action. 3 heavy action tracks, 2 lower intensity tension tracks. These tracks represent some of my best work, because I literally just finished producing them yesterday. It comes with seamless loops, stingers, non-loop versions, and stems!
soundcloud.com

Beast Mode

A cinematic blend of heavy electronic elements and modern sound design in the form of 5 action and tension tracks, intended for use in games.

The other one is "Derelict" and it's 7 tracks of eerie horror and suspense. This one is actually a very old school project that I reworked into a game music pack. The production quality isn't as good, and it doesn't come with stems because I don't have the old project files anymore. But there is still some useful stuff in here I think!
soundcloud.com

Derelict Music Pack Previews

Composer and Producer for Film, TV, Games, and Advertising. I write music in a wide array of genres, and my work has been featured in Games, TV, and Ad campaigns around the world.

If any of you are interested in using these for something, PM me and I'll send you a free download link from itch.io. If you get one, please don't share it with anyone! I want this to be an Era special, and I do want to make SOME money off of these from others eventually lol

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK

I know, it's the Dugout again - but this time with reauthored materials! I now support the filtering if the player wishes to unpixelify my game :o

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I know, it's the Dugout again - but this time with reauthored materials! I now support the filtering if the player wishes to unpixelify my game :o

It's kind of funny because in my game the situation is the opposite. The default and preferred "authentic" setting is a CRT filter that slightly blurs pixels and makes light bleed into each other, and adds scanlines, but I also have a "no CRT filter" for the youngsters that only know pixel art from modern indie games, and believe it should look as if you could cut your fingers on their corners.

All my promotional material is done without the filter, since it scales badly to different resolutions, e.g.:

(notice the slick segue to excuse posting my latest video).

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
hey guys=) looks like adobe fuse is out of the picture, do anyone know any good alternatives to make characters fast? found some other programs but they seem kinda expensive for a hobby dev.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been putting in a TON of time on this project of mine lately. Got a bunch of cool stuff up and running - level streaming for switching between views (Along with moving and arranging units as needed!), really (really) basic animations for units and how to tie them into firing off other events.

But I'm contemplating this fairly significant functionality change to the core combat algorithm, which I'd thought was done, and I'm just not sure if I'm approaching it the right way. Really frustrating.

Yang1992

Mar 16, 2020
We announced the sequel to My Time at Portia, which is My Time at Sandrock. Below is our trailer. I hope you can enjoy it.
iler

For this new MyTime game--Sandrock, we have many wishes to improve and upgrade based on our Portia performance. Before, we tried to make it as a DLC, but we find the story more elaborate. Here is the quote from our Kickstarter page: "When we started working on Sandrock, it was supposed to be a downloadable addition to My Time at Portia. But as we delved deeper into game production, we realized that we needed to start from scratch to fully express the tale of Sandrock. We required better graphics, better optimization, more story, and more satisfying gameplay systems: basically, we needed better production values across the board. On top of that, we really wanted to include a form of multiplayer that would really meet expectations for our players, and My Time at Portia's programming structure just didn't support that. "

Anyway, we have a big vision on this, and I'll talk more about this game here in the future. Also, I hope you can enjoy my content.

K Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not switching to FPS... but I was curious how it might look :D

I also did this recently! not a walking sim but I never intended to have combat

Got a bit carried away and u know what? I sort of liked it :( its all debug for now but who knows. Might save it for a New Game+ feature

I also just decided to launch on Early Access tomorrow 5th November. 3 years later... lots to do but I'm getting there.

store.steampowered.com

Ergastulum: Dungeon Nightmares III on Steam

Ergastulum is a first-person fantasy horror adventure game that blends a mix of Asian and Western folklore to create a terrifying vision that will test a player's faith to the extremes. The game focuses on psychological horror which relies on the character’s fears and abnormal psyche to frighten...

Haxik

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm working in a website in which we'll gather existing talks, roundtables, articles and interviews about video games (development, programming, bizdev and all of its branches) so everyone can filter by languague, event, type of content (video, text, podcast, etc.), area of knowledge and so on. The harder part is to collect all the good content that exists on the Internet so I come here asking for a little help :P

Do you have any recommendations about content that you think that is enriching and worthwhile (video, text or audio, as I said, no problem!) It would be great to launch with the best possible

Thank you so much!

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Happy Sunday, all! It's been a while :)

I updated the intro to The Sheep and Fox Show! with a nod to BLM. It's had quite the impact on the country (and myself) and felt I can help spread the message in a small way.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I'm tired of polishing and creating scenarios for my current project so I took a break today and worked a bit in this other idea, a prototype inspired by Advance Wars:

I would probably need to improve my pixel art skills or teamup with an artist when I decide to turn this prototype in a more serious project.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm tired of polishing and creating scenarios for my current project so I took a break today and worked a bit in this other idea, a prototype inspired by Advance Wars:

I would probably need to improve my pixel art skills or teamup with an artist when I decide to turn this prototype in a more serious project.

That pixel art looks perfectly fine to me! I don't think you'd need a pixel artist unless you want tons of different it takes too long for you to produce it.

The only change I'd make is to use a limited color palette. The perfectly smooth gradients look somewhat inconsistent / anachronistic on pixel art ships. As always I very much recommend Endesga64, but of course pick the one you like most.

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
The perfectly smooth gradients look somewhat inconsistent / anachronistic on pixel art ships.

Oh definitely. I made it like that because I'm lazy and Aseprite's gradients are so easy to use but I'll probably remake those ships if I decide to pursue this prototype further.
It would still be nice to find an artist that can nail the Advance Wars style so I can focus in programming though.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey everyone! I completely forgot to share my latest tutorial covering animation layers in Unity! This one is about a month old now, but it helps some of you out who are trying to figure out some of the intricacies of Unity's animation system!

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok, i'm in another jam, but a more lenient one this time. I created a twitter acount to share screenshots because the organizers promissed to retweet, but... they only have 2 followers.... So there it is so far:

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
started over and now it's a fishing game i guess
fesh4.gif

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
El_xreyWoAArjaa

de8suuw-9c0faa1d-4d85-492d-b214-05eee7e3e8aa.png

de8suv2-c0f031d0-0bb9-486c-8b45-e927669a5e92.png

Em5gwXPWMAcihfj

EmUtQpnXIAczIbg

Em5hbLpXEAI-Coy

I started working on my first (fighting game) prototype two weeks ago. For now, I sculpted and did the retopology of a basic character. And tried some cel shading as I love that style to death !

Next week, texture, rig and animation !

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh definitely. I made it like that because I'm lazy and Aseprite's gradients are so easy to use but I'll probably remake those ships if I decide to pursue this prototype further.
It would still be nice to find an artist that can nail the Advance Wars style so I can focus in programming though.

For cute / colorful / "Nintendo-y" sprites, let me drop here a good friend's portfolio. Incredibly nice and kind person that I met on ResetEra actually, and made a pixel art thread with monthly giveaways.
dribbble.com

Everson Compton

Everson Compton | Friendly and passionate about pixel art, game development, diversity and spreading kindness and positivity. Background in illustration; proficient in writing, pixel art and music creation. | Connect with them on Dribbble; the global community for designers and creative...
Here's his music portfolio as well!
soundcloud.com

Mystical Drop Radio

Private Account.

Yang1992

Mar 16, 2020
"Where the story starts"
Let me tell you a little bit more stories about the MyTime game's background setting.

As most of you know by now, the world of Portia and Sandrock went through a little war about 330 years before the current in-game date, resulting in the Day of Calamity. Before the Day of Calamity, human technology was at its height: people lived in luxury, robots did most of the work, ships carried men to the stars… Scientists were able to crystalize energy into power stones that powered nearly everything: think of them as more powerful and longer lasting batteries. This earliest period in recalled history is now known as the Age of Corruption.

During the Day of Calamity, men used advanced weaponry of enormous power in a war that engulfed the planet and beyond. The results were devastating. Records show entire continents vanished; chemical and biological weapons created new biomes and new species; the human population fell dramatically; the AI machines became uncontrolled; entire cities were buried; but most prominently: the sky darkened for the next two hundred years. This time period is now called the Age of Darkness.
e3246404edd26d4f3bfb49402da3c1f5_original.jpg

During the Age of Darkness, the vast majority of the human population lived underground. In the darkness, they faced starvation, loneliness, civil war, and even mutant monsters that lurked about in the tunnels. They were not able to produce crops above ground, as the world was trapped in a perpetual nuclear winter. Throughout the two hundred plus years, new countries were formed underground. New religions were also formed, such as the Church of the Light, who at the time predicted a savior would appear to bring light back to the world.

f9d3614fb140c95f41632319855befeb_original.jpg

As the Age of Darkness continued, industrial production grinded to a halt. Most of the knowledge developed from the old world was lost or forgotten. People begin to "ruin dive" to search for working condition machinery from the old structures. The Ruin Divers had to brave many dangers to get these items, thus gaining the respect of the population. At the same time, a profession called the Builders begin to arise. These people helped put the items from the ruin divers together into working machines. Over time, these two professions melted together somewhat.
809b10176f5ed2488135729da419f1ad_original.jpg

About 100 years ago (98 years in game time), a man named J. Peach built a machine that tore a hole in the clouds, bringing light back to the world. Peach was a resident in the ruins under what is modern day Ethea. The machine he used has been lost to history, but record has it that he used it in several places before it broke down. The light brought about by Peach gave hope to the masses; they believed the day when they could once again live under the sun was not far off. The event of Peach's machine tearing a hole in the clouds is celebrated today in the form of the Day of the Bright Sun. People call this Year 0 on the Peach Calendar (it's currently Year 98).
eb1cb2003b6dc10d0d9c33c8f0841305_original.jpg

After Peach's achievement, the clouds thinned and gradually parted over the next 30 years. Most people started living above around again during this time. Some kept their underground affiliations, such as the nations of Seesai, Ethea, Barnarock, and Duvos. The followers of the Church of the Light formed their own country in Meidi. Some ruin divers and settlers from Ethea and Barnarock set off south to form what is known today as the Alliance of Free Cities.
e762e4691666e8ff6914a479eeaac92a_original.jpg

Right now, our Steam page is already alive, I hope you can help us to share our new game--My Time At Sandrock!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018

Working on a cel shading shader in Unity for the fighting game project. Happy with the result, but I didn't add the normal map yet on the character, not sure how it will look with more details. I kinda like it in low poly now, giving that Jet Set Radio Future vibe ! I'll work on the outline and a more detailed texture tomorrow !

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When i finally took the courage to open my project again, the jam page is gone...
oh well, this is what i got:

Deleted member 62221

Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I uploaded a new video of me testing my first prototype for Void Marauders (my XCOM inspired game):

I also uploaded the prototype to IndieDB and made an article but it still needs to be authorized.

It's super late here and I'm tired. Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.