• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRBechard

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'm finally up and running on my boardgame turned videogame. I took some time to learn C# (using the learn.unity.com) and practice a bit and now everything makes a lot more sense. Usually I'm very art centric and get bogged down just creating art assets so I'm trying to use just basic objects and focus on developing features; it's going great!

DhbcitP.png

Though if anyone could help me with this I'd be very grateful:
In the game you go from island to island, collecting crewmates and treasures. The lines between the islands indicate the islands you can go to. Right now I'm just instantiating cylinders from the current island to the destination islands. The cylinders are rendering under the water. I understand that I could just render them on a layer above the water, but I want them to stay under the islands on the foreground who have to stay half submerged in the water.

Anyone know how I could do this?

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally up and running on my boardgame turned videogame. I took some time to learn C# (using the learn.unity.com) and practice a bit and now everything makes a lot more sense. Usually I'm very art centric and get bogged down just creating art assets so I'm trying to use just basic objects and focus on developing features; it's going great!

DhbcitP.png

Though if anyone could help me with this I'd be very grateful:
In the game you go from island to island, collecting crewmates and treasures. The lines between the islands indicate the islands you can go to. Right now I'm just instantiating cylinders from the current island to the destination islands. The cylinders are rendering under the water. I understand that I could just render them on a layer above the water, but I want them to stay under the islands on the foreground who have to stay half submerged in the water.

Anyone know how I could do this?
For your water, you could use the stencil buffer to not draw water where the cylinders are drawn.

Is there a reason you want them to appear underwater physically? It looks like they could be along the surface and still behind the half submerged islands.

JRBechard

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
For your water, you could use the stencil buffer to not draw water where the cylinders are drawn.

Is there a reason you want them to appear underwater physically? It looks like they could be along the surface and still behind the half submerged islands.

Thanks!
Ideally I'd like them to be flat dotted lines on top of the water like a map. I found a cool vector shapes library on the asset store that I plan on using to do the the flat dotted line but I don't have the budget for that yet, so I'm doing the cylinder thing as a temporary solution.

Eventually when I have the vector lines and and the water is a mesh that deforms procedurally, getting the lines on top of the water and deforming with it will be a challenge of it's own 😬

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
"Leave the game be what it wants to be" is a very double edged sword, in that both edges are so sharp. On one hand I feel it's the only way to make something truly worthwhile (as Rami Ismail says, you can't make a whole game in your head, unless you're just copying someone else's blueprint, and then what's the point?). On the other hand, as Saybrook mentions, you have no clue how long it will take. It's a journey to the unknown in the best and worst possible of ways.
i get you, but i also have a built in limit to how much will be added, though it's flexible.
new gif
goo1.gif

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Is it possible to learn this power? I'm four years into a "less than a year" project...
the level i have is 8x2. i can add characters and things to interact with, but there is only so much room and the nature of the game somewhat limits what can be added. so far the game is entirely played with the mouse so that also limits how things work.
it's still possible that i'll get carried away and keep adding things, but i will try to save those things for the next chapter of the game

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

Ahh, I need to focus on the game I'm tyrin got finish but sometiems ideas get in my head and I have to put them down somewhere to get them out. Today it was make a paint image of it. I'm still not sure how I would turn this into a full game., But I guess it's good to jot things down so I have ideas for things to try in the future!

i get you, but i also have a built in limit to how much will be added, though it's flexible.
new gif
goo1.gif

I love the look of this.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I've had an update. I've mostly been working on behind the scenes, infrastructure stuff, but I'm finally getting back into visible changes. I now have a working stats system and an improved menu UI. I spent a lot of time designing and redesigning the menu several times, it is really difficult coming up with a usable UX. Lots of placeholders still and needs a lot of polish but I really like how it's developing so far.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, this combat was definitely just a rock, paper, scissors that was loaded in your favor as you could see what action the enemy was doing and act appropriately. Could work as small rpg but I was interested in making at this time so I thought of some ways I could add some randomness that would spice it up a bit.

I looked at positioning first, as that's one element that is pretty simple but can add a lot of depth to what moves can be used, whether they can hit and be effective,etc. I tried this before with a Megaman Battle Network style grid and came to the conclusion that it just wasn't fun with this system as enemies could just move outta the way of your attacks if you went for one with a long delay. It's fun in games like into the breach when you can see enemy actions and evade them, and it does add some risk reward to using an action...but it didn't feel right having dumb enemies just stand there and take that attack so I scrapped that version.

Next I was looking at something like Limits from Final Fantasy that could give you an action you could perform under certain circumstances. I added MP (Momentum Points, not mana!) which could be gained by reducing the defense of enemies action to 0 by attacking them while they using that action. The defense reduction persists until you switch actions, and enemies can do the same to steal your momentum. You could then spend momentum on special actions such as, granting Haste for the action, double its attack or defense, deal some piercing damage to finish off a weak enemy, etc. It does work pretty well, and I still like this, but I didn't really think it was enough and it didn't really change the tactics in a way that I had hoped for..just shifted it to building momentum and I could see it getting samey as well.

What, I feel like I stuck with was actually just thrown together late last night. I just basically turned it into a deck builder for these actions but instead of resource cost the only thing they cost you is the time it takes to use them. It does kind of solve some problems I was running into where some actions would always be more powerful, like a dodge or parry. But having those actions be rare would still allow me to use stuff like that without breaking it completely. I've got a few ideas I want to toy with like a class that takes all the matching actions you draw and plays the total of their attack and defense as one action..so if they draw 3x a card that has 5 ATK, 3 DEF, and 3 delay they would play that action as a 15 Atk, 9 Defense, 3 delay action.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Yea, this combat was definitely just a rock, paper, scissors that was loaded in your favor as you could see what action the enemy was doing and act appropriately. Could work as small rpg but I was interested in making at this time so I thought of some ways I could add some randomness that would spice it up a bit.

I looked at positioning first, as that's one element that is pretty simple but can add a lot of depth to what moves can be used, whether they can hit and be effective,etc. I tried this before with a Megaman Battle Network style grid and came to the conclusion that it just wasn't fun with this system as enemies could just move outta the way of your attacks if you went for one with a long delay. It's fun in games like into the breach when you can see enemy actions and evade them, and it does add some risk reward to using an action...but it didn't feel right having dumb enemies just stand there and take that attack so I scrapped that version.

Next I was looking at something like Limits from Final Fantasy that could give you an action you could perform under certain circumstances. I added MP (Momentum Points, not mana!) which could be gained by reducing the defense of enemies action to 0 by attacking them while they using that action. The defense reduction persists until you switch actions, and enemies can do the same to steal your momentum. You could then spend momentum on special actions such as, granting Haste for the action, double its attack or defense, deal some piercing damage to finish off a weak enemy, etc. It does work pretty well, and I still like this, but I didn't really think it was enough and it didn't really change the tactics in a way that I had hoped for..just shifted it to building momentum and I could see it getting samey as well.

What, I feel like I stuck with was actually just thrown together late last night. I just basically turned it into a deck builder for these actions but instead of resource cost the only thing they cost you is the time it takes to use them. It does kind of solve some problems I was running into where some actions would always be more powerful, like a dodge or parry. But having those actions be rare would still allow me to use stuff like that without breaking it completely. I've got a few ideas I want to toy with like a class that takes all the matching actions you draw and plays the total of their attack and defense as one action..so if they draw 3x a card that has 5 ATK, 3 DEF, and 3 delay they would play that action as a 15 Atk, 9 Defense, 3 delay action.

I can't speak on the RPS thing, but I will say I love how quick and visceral your combat feels. It looks really snappy with some nice impact.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak on the RPS thing, but I will say I love how quick and visceral your combat feels. It looks really snappy with some nice impact.

Thanks! I was really going for a faster feel. I mean, I love big flashy animations when it's a one off but if it's something that's meant to be used over and over again nothing annoys me more than having to sit thru the same sequence.

I did implement a deck that actions are pulled from and then after an action a new one is drawn, and I do like it. I also added the mechanic that plays multiple copy's of the same card as one action and it's fun but way too strong atm. If i want to pursue goiing that direction I'd probably have to do a full rewrite top to bottom for everything as I'd like to add multiple enemies and I would have to change the Hud as well as targeting to facilitate that.

So instead of doing that I just went and pulled up another prototype and started to mess around. I like the real-time / turn based aspects of this. I had an enemy that shoots spikes on their turn but they move in real time and don't stop you..so you can still dodge them but I kind of want to try having projectiles move in turn as well. Could have some crazy bullet hell patterns you'd have to try dodging through.

Now i'm just adding fun stuff like making a fire wand that if you use it on the goop that the slimes leave behind as they walk it creates an explosion. 🤷

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
www.humblebundle.com

Humble Unity Games and Game Dev Assets Bundle

Pay what you want for a bundle full of games and software from Unity creators like The First Tree and FPS Builder! Plus, your purchase supports four different charities!

What a ridiculously insane bundle. I actually bought the all-in-one sprite shader a couple weeks for full price and think it's fantastic. And that's in the 1.00 dollar tier.

I've heard UModeler is way better than Probuilder, so I'll probably bite on the 29 dollar tier.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a lot of time a month or so back experimenting with making a Very VR game. Something on-foot and not completely arcade-structured, with more nuanced small-scale interactions and a higher fidelity visual style than Horizon Vanguard. Things were going pretty well, but it's obviously a huge undertaking and probably not something I should get totally lost in right now.

So with that, I decided to learn more about Old Game Shit by messing with Famicom development in assembly!

it's been tough but fun. I have a small-scope game in mind and we'll see how far I get.

Something I've been working on, I'm really enjoying doing pixel art again after all the low-poly 3d of odia. Inspired by wolfenstein and metroid :D

R7xUHSu.png

whoa I love these!

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
I want to update to GMS2.3 but I don't want all the stuff I did before to break...even though it looks like a lot of good stuff.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i broke everything with an upgrade. actually visibly the only thing that has broken was one of the ways i was 'holding' an animation state, but they've completely reworked the way functions/scripts work so I need to look at a guide before I dive back in.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
www.humblebundle.com

Humble Unity Games and Game Dev Assets Bundle

Pay what you want for a bundle full of games and software from Unity creators like The First Tree and FPS Builder! Plus, your purchase supports four different charities!

What a ridiculously insane bundle. I actually bought the all-in-one sprite shader a couple weeks for full price and think it's fantastic. And that's in the 1.00 dollar tier.

I've heard UModeler is way better than Probuilder, so I'll probably bite on the 29 dollar tier.

Of course I finally get to implement my own pixel aura shader after three years of developing Divinoids, and two weeks later, there's one in a $1 sale. Of course. :D

Thanks for this; I'll get it anyway, of course; anyone making or thinking of making pixel art games in the future should really consider doing the same.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
You can change your runtime feeds

oh yea! I hadn't had to use that before but that's good to know Updated and seemingly everything works in the projects I was worried

I was thinking about the bullet hell idea and it occurred to me that it would probably feel better if these things happened as you moved. So the bullets and enemies wouldn't move til you moved or acted and I then I was just like "Well, that's just a top down SUPERHOT styles rogue like. "

I don't know if it would play well with what I was trying to make but it's another idea to try at some point.

i broke everything with an upgrade. actually visibly the only thing that has broken was one of the ways i was 'holding' an animation state, but they've completely reworked the way functions/scripts work so I need to look at a guide before I dive back in.

yea, the way they reworked scripts is why I'm jumping back in. It's not quite OOP but it's enough for the way I make things.

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019

Thanks! I'll post more as I work on it; I'm trying to be better about posting more stuff about my game as development goes on; my last game definitely suffered a little bit from lack of attention :P

I've obviously been inspired by the mazelike labyrinths of Wolfenstein 3D, and I thought they'd be a good fit for a metroidvania, so I'm mashing them up, and hopefully making something cool.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I updated to GMS 2.3 for a project I needed to update for some side work I did a while ago, and it destroyed my copy of the project lol

I do like what was added though.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, this is pretty cool. I think i'll need to drop dice rolls and just do lite RPG mechanics with a ton of bullet hell.

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Think I need to get back to doing gifs, but sometimes I think some things are screenshot worthy.

Happy with this area now.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I think I won't have a demo ready for February for my turn based squad game so I was thinking of pushing a demo for my city builder first.

I could change my mind though, lately I've been pretty fickle regarding my projects. Evidence of that is that besides programming and 3D modeling I got a new hobby: pixel art. I even made a mockup for other of my ideas (only the ships are mine):

It's getting harder and harder for me to enjoy games (I even uninstalled TW: Warhammer 2) so I think my only reliable source of dopamine is to start new projects :/

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting harder and harder for me to enjoy games (I even uninstalled TW: Warhammer 2) so I think my only reliable source of dopamine is to start new projects :/
I totally get that. I haven't played games in a couple weeks now because I'm obsessed with making game progress. Though I've been lucky enough to stay focused on one project so far. Your pixel art looks really nice btw.

Anyway, here's my #ScreenshotSaturday.

I've been struggling making a good menu UI, this has taken me longer than most of the other game systems. I'm pretty happy with this. It is still very basic, lots to improve aesthetically. However, I am concerned about overwhelming with stats. This *should* be all of them, and I want to show them all, but I don't want to make the experience bad *just* to show everything. I think this level of depth is ok though, it's certainly not the level of depth seen in CRPG stat screens at least.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

This one has been a lot of fun. Maybe it's because I'm so used to making turn based things but the action-ish nature of this has been hitting the spot for me.

I added a 'combo' meter that fills as you hit enemies and it functions inversely of how the time mechanics works. It speeds up it's loss if you stand still but if you are moving it slows down. At first, I was thinking maybe it could be your health and if you filled it you would gain a hit point and when it drops then you lose one, but i'm not sure. I also thought about it dictating whether you could use an ability or something.

I'll probably work on a simple set of connected tiles next so I just don't have a bunch of random blocks as walls.

qhoang

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my progress this week.

I totally get that. I haven't played games in a couple weeks now because I'm obsessed with making game progress. Though I've been lucky enough to stay focused on one project so far. Your pixel art looks really nice btw.

Anyway, here's my #ScreenshotSaturday.

I've been struggling making a good menu UI, this has taken me longer than most of the other game systems. I'm pretty happy with this. It is still very basic, lots to improve aesthetically. However, I am concerned about overwhelming with stats. This *should* be all of them, and I want to show them all, but I don't want to make the experience bad *just* to show everything. I think this level of depth is ok though, it's certainly not the level of depth seen in CRPG stat screens at least.

Good job. UI is tedious to do.

This one has been a lot of fun. Maybe it's because I'm so used to making turn based things but the action-ish nature of this has been hitting the spot for me.

I added a 'combo' meter that fills as you hit enemies and it functions inversely of how the time mechanics works. It speeds up it's loss if you stand still but if you are moving it slows down. At first, I was thinking maybe it could be your health and if you filled it you would gain a hit point and when it drops then you lose one, but i'm not sure. I also thought about it dictating whether you could use an ability or something.

I'll probably work on a simple set of connected tiles next so I just don't have a bunch of random blocks as walls.

I might be biased, but I like the art style. ;) It's an easy way to quickly make a game look presentable if art is not your strong suit.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
qhoang Ya, after seeing your game it got back in the mood to try going for a 1bit look again. I absolutely loved Minit,Downwell, and Gato Roboto as well so it's been something that i've wanted to try but never really had the right project for it. I'm still worried about readability especially with it being topdown but so far it hasn't seemed like a problem.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Seeing devs inspired by other devs here gives me life. <3

I'm also very tempted to do my next came in 1-bit. It's such a clean, beautiful, minimalistic look and I think it would force me to focus on gameplay.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here know anything about voice acting? I'm thinking of hiring some and will like to hear some advice. Does anyone know where I can find voice actors? Any on ERA?

Pleiades

Dec 12, 2017
Been working on my project a little less as the fall gets busier but in any case I've honed a bunch of the game's systems. For example power grids work now, saving planetary bases works, there's been a bunch of new star systems (so bunch of modeling) etc.

But yeah, now that the game is shaping up better I was thinking of how to present my gameplay loops to people. Came up with this video:

Also on twitter: https://twitter.com/OArkko/status/1306207883617603585

It's a bit long even for a trailer but I really struggle with editing videos down to nice chunks. I think it gets the idea across decently but the time investment from the viewer is a bit much... Thinking I should just try editing a 30s clip with maybe some catchy music and do more of a music video thing of showcasing cool stuff with quick cuts or something.

I dunno, just rambling.

Also maybe time to consider getting this this thing on steam and giving it a name :D

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Been working on my project a little less as the fall gets busier but in any case I've honed a bunch of the game's systems. For example power grids work now, saving planetary bases works, there's been a bunch of new star systems (so bunch of modeling) etc.

But yeah, now that the game is shaping up better I was thinking of how to present my gameplay loops to people. Came up with this video:

Also on twitter: https://twitter.com/OArkko/status/1306207883617603585

It's a bit long even for a trailer but I really struggle with editing videos down to nice chunks. I think it gets the idea across decently but the time investment from the viewer is a bit much... Thinking I should just try editing a 30s clip with maybe some catchy music and do more of a music video thing of showcasing cool stuff with quick cuts or something.

I dunno, just rambling.

Also maybe time to consider getting this this thing on steam and giving it a name :D

That looks really impressive, nice work!

I feel you on the name thing. I'm trying to pick a name myself so I can secure the twitter account and website. Right now my lead contender is SpiritBorn, or some form of that, i.e. SpiritBorn Saga. But I'm concerned SpiritBorn may have a tenuous religious connotation and the last thing I want to do is step in some drama. I also really don't know how to "secure" a name. Is googling enough research to verify that there's no prior work with that name?

qhoang

Oct 26, 2017
That looks really impressive, nice work!

I feel you on the name thing. I'm trying to pick a name myself so I can secure the twitter account and website. Right now my lead contender is SpiritBorn, or some form of that, i.e. SpiritBorn Saga. But I'm concerned SpiritBorn may have a tenuous religious connotation and the last thing I want to do is step in some drama. I also really don't know how to "secure" a name. Is googling enough research to verify that there's no prior work with that name?
Searching in a trademark database too, maybe.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but if any of you wants to pitch in here, that' be great!
www.resetera.com

A call to Era's developers and mods about the "think of the poor devs" argument.

So, a new Harry Potter game has been announced right in the middle of serial escalation of vileness from JKR transphobia (quite a feat in itself, considering her past record, but that's not the point of this thread). Among the usual bad faith arguments to justify purchasing the game, a familiar...

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

Trying to come up with ideas for how I want rework this UI. All actions have an innate Attack, Defense, and Delay. It was easy to display that when it was one on one as I had that info on panels on the side for your attack and their attack. Now that I've changed it so you were fighting multiple mobs it's thrown me for a loop.i I've though of putting that info at the top, but when I tried it for two enemies it got crowded and I'd ideally like to have up to 3 enemies at a time..and if i wanted to change taht even then i'd have to rework that so I'm kinda trying to find a per enemy basis. I was looking at Slay the Spire as an example but I feel like it might be cluttered to have Attack, Defense,Delay, HP, and then whatever buffs / debuffs are on the unit. I thought maybe just show the delay, but then you would be unaware of how much damage an enemy is going to do with it's action, how much it would block, etc.

Heck,I'm even toying with removing the block altogether as it's become more of just a standard shield status you would find in most games like this. But i do feel it's a unique element that needs to stay in somehow.

I'm just saying designing a decent looking UI is hard.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Forgot to post my #screenshotsaturday. Lots of backend changes so no big visible changes, but it's building up to some pretty big improvements soon.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

Started to prototype another dice game idea, lol.

You roll dice and drag them to the enemy to attack. They can have on hit counters that deal one damage if you use the same number as their counter shows. I also plan on adding On roll effects that would work in a similar way but would take effect any time you roll a dice and land on that number.

You can also attack any enemy using your base attack by simply clicking on them, but enemies innately attack first so you will take a bit of damage if you do so. Currently, I have you regaining a point of stamina ( which is used to roll dice) after defeating an enemy but I don't know if I like that. Equipment will be used for a variety of effects including changing the numbers on dice, granting additional dice, status effects, damage, etc..

I'm still experimenting with the design. I've though maybe have each slot at the top just be a deck of it's own you are working through to clear all the cards from so you can fight the boss or whatever of the dungeon / floor. I also thought of putting equipment into those piles that you could acquire but i'm i'll have to see how that feels. I'd have to think of a currency / method of getting those and also of discarding it if you didn't want to take it.

Edit: Maybe if I make the dungeon a deck that has equipment / monsters in it then instead of / or in addition to killing enemies you can discard different equipment from the field to gain stamina.. so it becomes the choice of getting something you can use directly or getting the stamina to roll more dice.

Last edited:

JRBechard

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

Started to write a song for my game. It's the first time I write something orchestral and I'm really happy how it turned out! I also added a water shader and some vector lines instead of cylinders.

My screen recordings are coming out very saturated, anyone know how to fix that? I'm using the windows 10 internal screen recorder.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Started to write a song for my game. It's the first time I write something orchestral and I'm really happy how it turned out! I also added a water shader and some vector lines instead of cylinders.

My screen recordings are coming out very saturated, anyone know how to fix that? I'm using the windows 10 internal screen recorder.

It sounds great! I get modern Mario / Wind Waker vibes, although it might also be the aesthetics of the stage select screen itself. :)

The video looks perfect to me in terms of color saturation. Can you post a screenshot to compare?

JRBechard

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It sounds great! I get modern Mario / Wind Waker vibes, although it might also be the aesthetics of the stage select screen itself. :)

The video looks perfect to me in terms of color saturation. Can you post a screenshot to compare?

Thanks! That's what I was going for stylistically, but I hope it didn't turn out like a ripoff though haha.

This is a screenshot of what it looks like in the editor:

Wild-Blue-Screenshot.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks! That's what I was going for stylistically, but I hope it didn't turn out like a ripoff though haha.

Absolutely not. It just feels like a Nintendo game, which is the highest praise one can give!

This is a screenshot of what it looks like in the editor:

Wild-Blue-Screenshot.png

I see; I just took a screenshot of the video to compare and it does look... not so much "more saturated", as brighter in general. Quick and dirty comparison (video is the top left quadrant; ignore the darker sky as that's due to Youtube's title bar translucency).

gsMNxyB.jpg

JRBechard

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Absolutely not. It just feels like a Nintendo game, which is the highest praise one can give!

I see; I just took a screenshot of the video to compare and it does look... not so much "more saturated", as brighter in general. Quick and dirty comparison (video is the top left quadrant; ignore the darker sky as that's due to Youtube's title bar translucency).

gsMNxyB.jpg

Ah thanks, if I can be 1/1000th as good as Koji Kondo I'll be very happy hahaha.
Thanks for the pic I'll try to look into it.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Wild Blue makes me think of East Blue in One Piece, which is good for me! lol

Started this one from the ground up again with GMS2.3. A lot of the new stuff like multiple functions for script have made it easier to organize the project and taking what i've learned I was just able to make things more efficient and generic so that in future projects I can just import a lot of the work I've done when I want to prototype certain types of ideas.

For this specifically, I removed defense from actions so now ou are just worried about what the action does, and how much delay it has. I actually seperated effects into instant effects that take place when an action is selected, and those that take place after the delay. So I can still make actions that add Armor ( which will function like block does in most Deckbuilding games) and it'll function basically the same way defense did before. It also adds a variety of actions that could trigger instantly but have a huge delay and what not.

It's also still going down a deckbuilding route but I basically have four cards drawn at any time, and when you use an action another is instantly drawn to that slot. I also have ideas for actions that can put like a curse or debuff on a slot, enemies that can do the same..or cards that might put a card in a slot after they are used. So you may lose the generic cards taht allow you to cycle, but hopefully I've replaced it with something equally interesting.

JRBechard

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Wild Blue makes me think of East Blue in One Piece, which is good for me! lol
The whole game is unabashedly One Piece inspired ahaha, I love the idea of visiting new lands and making friends (and in games like paper mario) so I wanted to make a game with mechanics centered around these things.

Your game looks cool! I love simple RPGs

K Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
On the side I've been a bit busy porting and remastering some of my older games for the Switch in Japan. Made a short trailer just in time for TGS :)

SpaceKangaroo

Oct 28, 2017
People with no artistic ability whatsoever, how did you learn to make decent visuals?
Time :(

Never expect the first pass to be perfect... or good. Get something in and let it annoy you until you end up changing it. Look at loads of references!

Though I have no idea if any of my work is "decent" at this point :D I can implement huge feature sets in my game faster than I can draw a pixel art rock ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.