• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I already do the variable hitbox thing though I use place_meeting instead of point_in_rectangle. I have a number of other functions that cover hitstop and slowmo etc but this would definitely be a way to organise it.

The thing i mainly don't understand is that in the draw event for the hitbox I have a draw_rectangle and a draw_text function but even for that single frame only the draw_text function seems to activate and not the draw_rectangle. Bizarre.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. I already do the variable hitbox thing though I use place_meeting instead of point_in_rectangle. I have a number of other functions that cover hitstop and slowmo etc but this would definitely be a way to organise it.

The thing i mainly don't understand is that in the draw event for the hitbox I have a draw_rectangle and a draw_text function but even for that single frame only the draw_text function seems to activate and not the draw_rectangle. Bizarre.
You can draw the values of the rectangle corner coordinates to see where it's being drawn, maybe it's just out of view or everything is 0.
With place_meeting() you're still relying in the object's hitbox as GM handles it, it's not the same as checking your desired hitbox coordinates directly. Every secondary automatic action that GM does and that may be affecting hitboxes will affect place_meeting().

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
ah actually you're right, it's probably drawing as a 1 pixel box because the resizing vars don't pass to it until the frame after it comes into existence when the update step catches it and sets everything properly that's probably the main issue. Hmm but the instance_create_depth should be happening at the correct x,y in that first frame step... geh.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey all! It has been a while since my last post in here. I've been making tutorial videos covering Unity's animation system throughout all of quarantine. It's been a really fun hobby to have started and the reception has been super supportive/encouraging.

Just yesterday I finished my latest tutorial which thoroughly breaks down two dimensional blend trees and showcases how we can use them for character movement animations!

If anyone in here has ever wondered how you can give player's control over animations, the back half of the video is actually working code on how that works!

Hope this helps some of you out!

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking about all the games I left by the wayside, so I wanted to make videos of them :P Here's the first one
www.youtube.com

Games I Never Finished #1 - Airships

I've wanted to show off the games I've worked on that fell to the wayside. Here's "Airships", a narrative single player flight sim/combat game.
That's a really cool idea!

Also a cool prototype. Water to air combat would have been really unique.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, you all can help me out with a Unity question. I'm an extreme noob (read: I've literally just installed it) so please bear with me.

I'm running some experiments with animating point clouds for animation/film purposes. I've tried it in Unreal Engine 4 which is quite nice, but I've heard it can be particularly cool in Unity. Specifically with the custom point cloud importer/renderer PCX (https://github.com/keijiro/Pcx). But I have no idea how I can install this. I saw something with codes and whatnot and I am completely confused.

Is there anyone who can help me out? Or point me to a video tutorial which explains the process?

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully, you all can help me out with a Unity question. I'm an extreme noob (read: I've literally just installed it) so please bear with me.

I'm running some experiments with animating point clouds for animation/film purposes. I've tried it in Unreal Engine 4 which is quite nice, but I've heard it can be particularly cool in Unity. Specifically with the custom point cloud importer/renderer PCX (https://github.com/keijiro/Pcx). But I have no idea how I can install this. I saw something with codes and whatnot and I am completely confused.

Is there anyone who can help me out? Or point me to a video tutorial which explains the process?
Start by downloading the git contents. (Use the Code button...download as zip) Unzip the stuff into a directory and open that directory into Unity

edit: or go to the side section where it says release. Download the unity package and import that into your project

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Start by downloading the git contents. (Use the Code button...download as zip) Unzip the stuff into a directory and open that directory into Unity

edit: or go to the side section where it says release. Download the unity package and import that into your project

If I'm understanding correctly, it seems that if you want to include the package in your own project, you need to scroll down to the page and follow the install instructions, where you'll have to edit several files in your own project. I'm not sure if this will make Unity automagically download and install the package from the given URL, or you will still need to manually copy files from the repository.

I would start by ignoring the files in the git repo, and just make the changes mentioned in the "install" section of the page you linked. Then reopen your project in Unity and see if it downloads anything (also from Unity, check Windows -> Package Manager to see if it's there).

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. I think I might have it?

Now the larger challenge of actually figuring out how to get something like I see the creator create with it. Not really any tutorials to find so far :'-). Fun challenge.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Started creating assets and importing heads, hair and beard meshes from Fuse to create a minimum of customization for my XCOM inspired prototype:

For the bodies I take a base mesh and modify it and repaint it. Ideally I would have 2 basic armor suits for now.

I would like to participate in the Steam Game Festival in February, my 2 options are to progress in this prototype or in my city builder.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
So it's been a few years since a project I've worked on has been on Kickstarter and the game has totally changed since then. We've been prepping for a Kickstarter for months but I wanted to pop in here and see if any of y'all have done one more recently than 2014? We're probably looking at a relatively small goal (sub-$10k) and that's also new territory for me, so I wanted to know if anybody has tips other than the standard "it's a full time job" and "have an update every day or two" and such.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So it's been a few years since a project I've worked on has been on Kickstarter and the game has totally changed since then. We've been prepping for a Kickstarter for months but I wanted to pop in here and see if any of y'all have done one more recently than 2014? We're probably looking at a relatively small goal (sub-$10k) and that's also new territory for me, so I wanted to know if anybody has tips other than the standard "it's a full time job" and "have an update every day or two" and such.

Holy shit, I didn't know we have someone from Twinbeard in the forum, least of all in this thread! Huge fan of Frog Fractions and Glittermitten Cove. :)

I'm sorry I can't help with your question becausde I've never done a KS, but hopefully people with more experience can contribute.

Speaking of people with KS experience! Ark Heiral, I just saw the KS notification go up about Chained Echoes' demo, congratulations! I have a massive backlog as always but I'm downloading it right now. Also please let me know if you'd be OK with me making a new thread about it!
store.steampowered.com

Chained Echoes on Steam

Take up your sword, channel your magic or board your Mech. Chained Echoes is a 16-bit style RPG set in a fantasy world where dragons are as common as piloted mechanical suits.

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Holy shit, I didn't know we have someone from Twinbeard in the forum, least of all in this thread! Huge fan of Frog Fractions and Glittermitten Cove. :)

I'm sorry I can't help with your question becausde I've never done a KS, but hopefully people with more experience can contribute.

Speaking of people with KS experience! Ark Heiral, I just saw the KS notification go up about Chained Echoes' demo, congratulations! I have a massive backlog as always but I'm downloading it right now. Also please let me know if you'd be OK with me making a new thread about it!
store.steampowered.com

Chained Echoes on Steam

Take up your sword, channel your magic or board your Mech. Chained Echoes is a 16-bit style RPG set in a fantasy world where dragons are as common as piloted mechanical suits.

Haha thank you! Sure, that would be nice. I hope you will enjoy it! :D

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread!

I've been playing with a little React web-app that loads in 2D maps and attempts to display them Mode-7 style. Rather than use css or anything (which has utilities for 2d and 3d transformations) I wanted to kind of emulate something that would 'cheat' the effect and work per-pixel... so I'm using Canvas, sampling images and outputting individual pixels.

From what I understand the SNES did this effect by doing an affine transformation on the background tile(s) (translation, scaling and shearing), and used the HDMA feature to scale it every scanline. That isn't what I'm doing here...

I'm creating a sort of frustum in 2D space, lets call the coordinates farLeft, farRight, nearRight and nearLeft... the tweakable settings on the left change the dimensions of this shape and therefore these coordinates. I'm going to add rotation too, but before I do I need to fix the problem I'm having with perspective...

If you watch the video, you'll see that I'm getting a sort of cylindrical effect. I think I know why but maybe someone here will be able to confirm / help me out...

At the moment I'm doing:

Code:
// Pseudo-code
for (let i = 1; i < (screenBottom - horizon); ++i) {
    let perc = i / (screenBottom - horizon);

// interpolate between far left and near left coordinates
    let left = getInterpolatedCoordinate(farLeft, nearLeft, perc);

// interpolate between far right and near right coordinates
    let right = getInterpolatedCoordinate(farRight, nearRight, perc);

This gets me the vertical lines here in blue, which I use to sample the source image later:

oQwZ5UP.png

I think my problem arises because the gap between each blue line is linear... I think it should be logarithmic in some way, with lines nearer the horizon being closer together. I've read about perspective division, but I'm struggling to wrap my head around it and can't seem to make it work in the context of the algorithm I'm pseudo coding here...

The rest of it gets the equivalent of the red lines...

Code:
// ... earlier code

for (let x = 0; x < screenWidth; x++) {
        let xPerc = x / screenWidth;

let samplePoint = interpolateBetweenPoints(left, right, xPerc);
        // ... code here optionally wraps the sample coordinate to tile the map forever ...

// I sample one pixel of data from the source image using something like below
        const sample = ctx.getImageData(samplePoint[0], samplePoint[1], 1, 1);

// this puts
        screenCtx.putImageData(sample, x, i + horizon);
    }
}

I've done it as a git repo, so I can throw it online if anyone would like to take a look at fixing it, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction before then!

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Sussed it...

I was using the same function to interpolate between the near and far frustum bounds/scanlines as I was for getting my screen-width-scaled sampling point...
for the former, I needed to correct the calculation by a factor related to the depth, for the latter what I'd done was fine... so I just added a flag to my method:

Code:
private _percentageCoordBetweenPoints(pointA: Point, pointB: Point, perc: number, correction?: boolean) {
        if (correction) {
            const p = isFinite(perc) ? perc : 0.1;
            const rtn = [
                (pointA[0] - pointB[0]) / p + pointB[0],
                (pointA[1] - pointB[1]) / p + pointB[1]
            ];
            console.log(rtn);
            return rtn;
        } else {
            return [
                pointA[0] + (pointB[0] - pointA[0]) * perc,
                pointA[1] + (pointB[1] - pointA[1]) * perc
            ];
        }
    }

The finite check just ensures I don't accidentally attempt to divide by zero.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet

Haha glad you liked GMG. This upcoming project, University Magician's Society, is an Allfather Productions joint, not a Twinbeard thing (though actually... the project started out as DLC for Frog Fractions 2... so...) but we hope that it appeals to the same audience. Lemmie drop some of our preview art that has in the past been shown to patreon backers and such.

88nO244.png

q34IxLR.png

Anyway yeah it's a totally ordinary anime visual novel. Hope folks love it. I don't think it's gotten much attention anywhere despite us announcing development about a year ago, but it is real, there is a game that we are working on. Hopefully the Kickstarter will generate the buzz I want when we launch that!

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, had an idea that would fix most of what I didn't like about what I was doing with the combat system I had that was pretty similar to Helen's Mysterious Castle. I'm pumped to go and try to implement it and see if it really works like I think, but i'm deep into Rogue Recess and should probably just focus on that. Oh well, I'll just write it down and hold onto it for a bit.

I've come a bit further in Rogue Recess though. Have it set up, so you don't get repeat enemies in a run. Added a new power status effect that basically functions like strength in Slay the Spire, except it effects every skill. So status effects get the increase / decrease, heals, everything.

I was also originally trying to design each encounter to be higher in difficulty but I think i'll need to scale that back now that tokens aren't put into a discard deck and reshuffled back in. Basically, like a lot of dungeon crawlers it'll be about being as efficient as possible and most of the smaller enemies are just their as a resource drain and aren't individually as difficult. It's just when you are going through more and more of them that you have to make sure you are building trying to pick up skills that compliment taking out the enemy as well as sustaining yourself and your tokens..if that makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
From what I understand the SNES did this effect by doing an affine transformation on the background tile(s) (translation, scaling and shearing), and used the HDMA feature to scale it every scanline. That isn't what I'm doing here...
May I ask why you decided to implement the track in the way you ended up doing it?

I also made a Mode 7 / F-Zero style racing game for a college project, in pure Java using AWT (or Swing, I forgot). But I did it basically the way you said you didn't do it -- scaling and rotating the track, then scaling every "scanline". Is there a particular advantage to your approach that I didn't see?

Basically, I iterated over every pixel on screen and found the appropriate pixel from track-space to draw on screen. But... the one very hard problem I had when coding the game was doing the opposite -- taking track coordinates and translating them to screen coordinates. This was important for drawing billboard textures, like the actual cars themselves, or trees or whatever. I tried everything to solve that problem, even talking to some math majors. I finally solved it by... Brute force, haha. It was honestly magic... But I feel like your approach to drawing the track would make that problem a whole lot easier, though.

Edit: here's a video I made of it (and another game I made in Java/AWT). Warning, I was a bad student and got real lazy with it lol so some parts don't look all that good.

Last edited:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
May I ask why you decided to implement the track in the way you ended up doing it?

I also made a Mode 7 / F-Zero style racing game for a college project, in pure Java using AWT (or Swing, I forgot). But I did it basically the way you said you didn't do it -- scaling and rotating the track, then scaling every "scanline". Is there a particular advantage to your approach that I didn't see?

Basically, I iterated over every pixel on screen and found the appropriate pixel from track-space to draw on screen. But... the one very hard problem I had when coding the game was doing the opposite -- taking track coordinates and translating them to screen coordinates. This was important for drawing billboard textures, like the actual cars themselves, or trees or whatever. I tried everything to solve that problem, even talking to some math majors. I finally solved it by... Brute force, haha. It was honestly magic... But I feel like your approach to drawing the track would make that problem a whole lot easier, though.

Edit: here's a video I made of it (and another game I made in Java/AWT). Warning, I was a bad student and got real lazy with it lol so some parts don't look all that good.

I really love the F-Zero 2-layer effect you've got going on in that!

It wasn't a conscious deliberate choice from the outset.. it was just an experiment to see what I could do with a 2D Canvas context in a web-page really... I knew the effect could be achieved in a 'webgl' canvas, or using CSS matrix transforms, but 2D canvas is well supported across browsers - and restricting myself to a 2D Cartesian grid for the calculations felt like a very SNESy limitation to try and use.

The reason I ended up using the frustum and interpolating between its points was a happy coincidence of starting with the preview first. I got the frustum represented on the top-down 2D view of the map first, and got it moving around etc. then I progressed to the problem of representing that in 3D...

At first I was calculating a camera frustum at the 'preview' resolution and then scaling it up for the 3D representation, and doing calculations based on that, but I later found it was better to calculate a frustum relative to the full resolution of the texture first and then scale that down to the preview. I had to optimise things a bit too as I don't believe the 2D canvas object in browsers is (as) hardware accelerated -- so if I calculated every pixel of a nearly-full-screen sized canvas on my 4K laptop - things got very slow indeed. And I'm on a decent machine. Because I'm using SNES maps, I actually pretend I'm rendering for 256 x 244 (SNES native res), sampling points on the higher res map, and drawing an image in an off-screen canvas at that size. Then I figure out how many x and y pixels I need to step over and fill for the full resolution canvas and fill many-pixels with the equivalent of 1 pixels worth of data from the native res image.

It ended up more complicated than it should have been and is still prone to speed limitations the way I've done it, I suspect your way would be a lot faster computationally... I did learn a couple of things though doing it. For example, my sampling algorithm effectively takes place in two nested loops - from x = 0 to screenWidth and from y = horizon to screenHeight... instead of doing an x++ or y++ in the for statements, I increase each by a scaled amount reflecting how much bigger the screen is than the native resolution. I realised that if I popped an extra variable in there to multiply or divide the 'increment' by - I could include another slider for internal resolution that would allow me to make the image more blocky... it's a bit like the mosaic effect used some SNES games:

JEc27fU.gif

I decided to use React for the parameter controls at it would simplify synching the values of the inputs to the app's state - but looking at it in performance profiler, I could probably eek out some improvements by removing React and using regular event handlers.

I did start to think about that problem you mention - of representing where 2D sprites should appear - I was thinking it should be straightforward to calculate an object's apparent origin in screen space using the same sort of method I'm using for the camera frustum points; if a sprite has representations for facing in various directions, I think that should be easy to work out from the heading vector between the sprite and the camera too - but I think scaling the sprite correctly might be a problem. It's really not very scientific the way I've done it, changing the horizon line causes a disconnect between the frustum displayed in the preview, and what actually gets rendered on screen. Scaling the size of the frustum actually has the interesting effect of appearing to add elevation to the 3D view. I don't fully understand what's happening in the equations to make that happen. I think with the method you've used, the effect of parameters like this might be more easily understood and predicted, so I don't know whether to revist the rendering method.

I'd be curious to see how much faster (and potentially easier) this would be in a web-gl canvas. Here's a Zelda multi-verse just because...

kmxEcIk.gif

edit: forgot to mention - while messing with the variable resolution thing and calculating the pixel increments - I also discovered that Math.pow(base, exponent) in JavaScript is much slower than doing a simple loop to arrive at the same value. At least where the base and exponent are quite low integer values. The saving in performance from changing to a simple loop alone was crazy.

Last edited:

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Screenshot Saturday. AI still needs some tweaking, but compared to what combat was a year ago...I am ok with it. (Was shit...now is adequate. Still needs some work but the base is there)

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Put the code for the Mode 7 typescript stuff on github... as I say, the rendering method is probably slower than it otherwise could have been, it actually crashes Internet Explorer. I've commented it and stuff if anyone wants to have a dig, and its fairly easy to run once you've cloned the repo. Just run:

Code:
npm run serve

RUs2COC.png

github.com

GitHub - t0mgerman/2D-canvas-mode-7-experiment: An experiment and attempt to recreate a Mode 7 style effect using a 2D Canvas context

An experiment and attempt to recreate a Mode 7 style effect using a 2D Canvas context - GitHub - t0mgerman/2D-canvas-mode-7-experiment: An experiment and attempt to recreate a Mode 7 style effect u...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Too much and too subtle, IMO. I read the aura as a buff/berserk mode rather than elite mob. I would try a red outline (maybe flashing?) and the same on the enemy icon at the bottom.

Quoting again because I ended up going with exactly that, and I think it's a considerable improvement, thank you!

I also added it to the enemy icons at the bottom, although since I cropped the screen it can't be seen, hahah. :)

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Been crazy busy working on new stuff for Ephemeral Tale the past few months. Added a handful of quests that reward unique items (that are then farm-able), a vendor for recycling older gear you've amassed into newer, better stuff, a couple new zones... Busy busy times! Now, I'm working on one of the largest updates I've ever done.

One of the biggest problems I've identified with the game's narrative state is that is rushes from the "middle part" to "the end part" very quickly. This isn't a HUGE deal, as the story isn't the main focus of the game (nor the main draw), but I imagine this can lead to the ending feeling a bit... disconnected from the rest of the game. So, my plan is to take a page from Nintendo's playbook and implement a "dark world" of sorts. This will allow for the individual plot beats to have more room to breath, and give me room to add depth to the narrative that may feel like it's otherwise missing. It also should help substantially with the pacing, but only time will tell!

The result is that I've been working on three new zones (equivalent to dungeons in Zelda) at once! Hoping to drop them all in one, gigantic update :) Will it go over well? I can only hope!

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i tried pixelarting over a remote connection and i just can't bloody do it. the .1 of a second input time is just enough to drive me crazy

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Looking for an animator to help me on some projects. If anyone here is interested, send me a message. Retweets on Twitter also appreciated.

qhoang

Oct 26, 2017
Some progress, made a wall of turrets.

Great work! Wish I knew how to actually draw too.

Screenshot Saturday. AI still needs some tweaking, but compared to what combat was a year ago...I am ok with it. (Was shit...now is adequate. Still needs some work but the base is there)

When will we see footage of it in action? :) If you want the game to stand out more, you could try to make it more stylized (think... Rime or something). Dunno if it's as easy as to apply a shader to everything and call it a day.

Quoting again because I ended up going with exactly that, and I think it's a considerable improvement, thank you!

I also added it to the enemy icons at the bottom, although since I cropped the screen it can't be seen, hahah. :)

You're welcome. Don't throw away the aura entirely, though. You might be able to use it one way or another, e.g. as an enrage indicator or turn it yellow and make it look like super saiyan aura from Dragon Ball if you have temporary power up pickups.

Been crazy busy working on new stuff for Ephemeral Tale the past few months. Added a handful of quests that reward unique items (that are then farm-able), a vendor for recycling older gear you've amassed into newer, better stuff, a couple new zones... Busy busy times! Now, I'm working on one of the largest updates I've ever done.

One of the biggest problems I've identified with the game's narrative state is that is rushes from the "middle part" to "the end part" very quickly. This isn't a HUGE deal, as the story isn't the main focus of the game (nor the main draw), but I imagine this can lead to the ending feeling a bit... disconnected from the rest of the game. So, my plan is to take a page from Nintendo's playbook and implement a "dark world" of sorts. This will allow for the individual plot beats to have more room to breath, and give me room to add depth to the narrative that may feel like it's otherwise missing. It also should help substantially with the pacing, but only time will tell!

The result is that I've been working on three new zones (equivalent to dungeons in Zelda) at once! Hoping to drop them all in one, gigantic update :) Will it go over well? I can only hope!
Loved RPGs back in the SNES era. Gonna give your demo a go later.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Awwww kitty!

You're welcome. Don't throw away the aura entirely, though. You might be able to use it one way or another, e.g. as an enrage indicator or turn it yellow and make it look like super saiyan aura from Dragon Ball if you have temporary power up pickups.

The original aura wasn't anything special, just a particle system with translucent circles as the particle. The new one is a shader I made that I'm pretty happy with. To avoid ifs (which are expensive in shaders due to how video cards do batch processing), it adds up the alphas of the surrounding pixels ("surrounding" being defined by the aura thickness), then converts this value to either 0 or 1 (via max () and ceil ()), then lerps between the original color and the aura color using this value (there's another lerp to avoid the actual sprite's pixels being part of the outline as well).

If anyone wants a flexible sprite aura shader, I'll be happy to share it. :)

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017

Oh yea, definitely like that more!

Keeps looking better! I really need to try this as I know it's right up my alley. Next game I want to make has a somewhat more traditional jrpg battle system.

Great work! Wish I knew how to actually draw too.

When will we see footage of it in action? :) If you want the game to stand out more, you could try to make it more stylized (think... Rime or something). Dunno if it's as easy as to apply a shader to everything and call it a day.

Loved RPGs back in the SNES era. Gonna give your demo a go later.

I just love this Black and white look. Everything you add just looks smooth.

I had to take a look at what I was making and came to the conclusion that it was too much like it's inspiration. Wasn't a clone per say, but it was closer than I would like. So i'm either in the process of stopping it, changing some things about how combat works, or just gutting the combat and trying one of my other ideas while keeping the theme..cause I really like the theme. lol

What i'm gonna try is changing the tokens from numbers to colors. So instead of 1-4 like I was doing, you will get either 3 or 4 colors and skills will take either a single color or a combination of colors to activate. So damage and effects will become more static for all skills, and it'll be more binary on whether you can use a skill or not. I think it'll work better with the constantly adding tokens to your deck mechanic, as well as them being permanently used up. Hopefully this will still retain what i like about that system..while giving it my own spin.

Saybrook

May 1, 2019
Cleveland OH
Are most of you working alone? I'm curious because some of the 3D work I am seeing is pretty amazing. My game is strictly 80's arcade 2D and only recently am getting some help with my sprites.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
So I've been trying to design my datacentre game. Looking at the below mock-up it's a little hard to tell but at the moment I have apps and services. A service is a standalone thing like Web Hosting or File Hosting. An app is comprised of services so you get more complex things like a Video Sharing Platform.
EeHlJAvXgAAb-UU

Each app/service has its own market filled with competition with a growing pool of user's for them to fight over. If an app/service reaches a high % market share they form a monolopy giving them way more power over the market and the lions share of new users at the cost of market growth.
8Lxa1z9.png

You can take out competition (as long as they're in one market currently) using buy outs giving you a cut of what users they had and an exp boost to your app/service. You can also skip the R&D phase by buying out an already existing app/service if you don't have a competing product.
Every quarter leaderboards will be updated showing how your products and datacentre market cap rank against your rivals. I'm hoping for lots of sexy charts and graphs.

I haven't even talked about R&D yet. I'll save it for next time.

Are most of you working alone? I'm curious because some of the 3D work I am seeing is pretty amazing. My game is strictly 80's arcade 2D and only recently am getting some help with my sprites.
I work alone, it's just personal preference. I.e I struggle talking to people I don't know very well. I think it's beneficial for a lot of people to actually have help though. If you can find somebody to trade skills with you may not even have to spend any money and you get to help somebody else.
If you do want to do everything yourself be prepared to learn things you may not have any interest in or make a game that fits your skillset.

Also congrats Hanuli, just saw your game on PCGamer. That trailer is lovely.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
My backup hard drive has become incredibly slow, like 20 kb/s slow for some files. No risk of losing critical data but it sure has thrown a wrench in my plans.

I think most of us do work alone. In my case I contract stuff from time to time but nothing beats the flexibility of solo development.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I switched from numbers to colors and it wasn't really difficult.

I enjoy it right now. It's simple but it works. I'm currently dividing skills into 3 types:

1)Those that activate on a certain color token(s) only. These are pretty standard and you will always do a set amount of damage / status / whatever.

2)Those that can activate on any token but have a benefit when using a specific color. These are more generous and I think where the interesting mashups could be. Skilsl that you could take that maybe don't perfectly align with what you have, but can still be handy even if you don't draw what you need. Also can be used to as sort of a token flush to get rid of tokens that don't align with your strategy when you don't need the bonus from the match.

3)Those that have additional effects, but don't rely on the token color to determine that. So maybe this one does something extra if it's this enemy or they have this status..not much different from #2 but still takes up a different category in my head.

But after I switched I was instantly reminded of a prototype I dropped a couple years ago.

This uses a similar resource system for actions. You only have skills of two colors ( red and blue) and have three 3 orb colors. Red, blue, and white. White is basically a catch all and can be used on all skills. I actually had multiple enemies to an encounter, a working dungeon floor, leveling up, and a small potion bar. The reason I dropped this was the orbs were random and it could make or break a turn when you just got all blue and you only had skills that activated on red. I created a standard attack that was able to use all skills, but it felt like a trick and not something that would actually work so I dropped it. Enemies also didn't really force you to play any differently, so every time was the same. There were some good ideas here though, and i still have fun going back and messing with it.

Saybrook

May 1, 2019
Cleveland OH
I think most of us do work alone. In my case I contract stuff from time to time but nothing beats the flexibility of solo development.

Wow if most work alone. Some of the work I see seems really daunting to transition it to a full game. The work seems very complex. What do you guys do for other people testing your games? I've been working solo on my game for a few years. I'll be ready to have beta testers soon.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I'm working alone because I'm still learning. Most new things I implement I'm doing for the first time and am slowly learning and testing as I go, and so if I worked with someone of my ability I'm not sure it would help very much. And if I worked with someone experienced who actually knows what they're doing they would find it incredibly frustrating working with me and probably laugh at my code :(

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
My specialty is programming but as another solo dev I've been working in assets for my game. Basically I took some base models I bought (rigged), I modified them in Blender and repaint them in Substance Painter:

I just had to become an amateur artist because as an indie you can't afford to wear only one hat.

What do you guys do for other people testing your games?

For my previous games I asked for volunteers in Reddit, NeoGAF (before I joined the exodus) and even a Linux gaming forum. I would just give them Steam keys for testing (there's some keys that have access to a build before releasing the game).
Most would just take the key, give the minimum amount of feedback possible and then disappear, other would stay a bit longer. Nothing compares with having dedicated QA but that's life.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wow if most work alone. Some of the work I see seems really daunting to transition it to a full game. The work seems very complex. What do you guys do for other people testing your games? I've been working solo on my game for a few years. I'll be ready to have beta testers soon.

Feedback is the most important thing you can get for your game, yeah. The two avenues I've got most of mine are:
- Friends (including online friends): the upside is that you get a lot more engagement, the downside is that it tends to skew positive unless you force them to criticise the game (which you should).
- Conventions: you get feedback from a lot of different people which is great, but a convention floor is not the environment most conductive to taking your time with a game so it tends to be somewhat shallow and not reflective of long-term engagement. Still very good for getting lots of first impressions.

Asking people online to try your game is kind of a mixed bag as there's so many games to try out there and so little time. Even here I have a backlog of other people's games that I should give a try sometime.

I'm wondering if a ResetEra thread specifically about "Try other member's games for free and give feedback" would be successful.

I'm working alone because I'm still learning. Most new things I implement I'm doing for the first time and am slowly learning and testing as I go, and so if I worked with someone of my ability I'm not sure it would help very much. And if I worked with someone experienced who actually knows what they're doing they would find it incredibly frustrating working with me and probably laugh at my code :(

I feel like there's no point in having two coders in a single indie game anyway. Subset Games (FTL, Into the Breach) have what I feel is the optimal arrangement for an indie studio; one handles coding, the other handles art, and, most important, both handle gameplay design. They then outsource music to Ben Prunty.

I just had to become an amateur artist because as an indie you can't afford to wear only one hat.

So very true, that.

For my previous games I asked for volunteers in Reddit, NeoGAF (before I joined the exodus) and even a Linux gaming forum. I would just give them Steam keys for testing (there's some keys that have access to a build before releasing the game).
Most would just take the key, give the minimum amount of feedback possible and then disappear, other would stay a bit longer. Nothing compares with having dedicated QA but that's life.

You can give out keys for temporary betas separate from the game, which I feel is a good way to avoid having "leechers" that just want free games. That said I still give out mine only to friends and trusted people.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
bgelv1.gif

still working on this. not finished with the demo like i thought i'd be. that's how it goes.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
This looks really neat. What kind of game is it?
thank you! it's kind of a point and click adventure game but movement is done as if the character had a kind of 2d platformer movement, but automated between point to point. beyond that i'm still figuring out. i just kept building on concepts and it's like i'm following the game's lead as to what will be done next

Saybrook

May 1, 2019
Cleveland OH
i just kept building on concepts and it's like i'm following the game's lead as to what will be done next
Be careful! That's how I ended up working on something for nearly three years. I started the project trying to get one of my children some programming experience. He didn't get into it but I fell in love with what GameMaker Studio could do. Plus I had moved away from software engineering into sales and had not written a line of code in ten years. Forgot how much I enjoyed programming! If only I would have had GameMaker in high school or college.......

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
thank you! it's kind of a point and click adventure game but movement is done as if the character had a kind of 2d platformer movement, but automated between point to point. beyond that i'm still figuring out. i just kept building on concepts and it's like i'm following the game's lead as to what will be done next
Be careful! That's how I ended up working on something for nearly three years. I started the project trying to get one of my children some programming experience. He didn't get into it but I fell in love with what GameMaker Studio could do. Plus I had moved away from software engineering into sales and had not written a line of code in ten years. Forgot how much I enjoyed programming! If only I would have had GameMaker in high school or college.......

"Leave the game be what it wants to be" is a very double edged sword, in that both edges are so sharp. On one hand I feel it's the only way to make something truly worthwhile (as Rami Ismail says, you can't make a whole game in your head, unless you're just copying someone else's blueprint, and then what's the point?). On the other hand, as Saybrook mentions, you have no clue how long it will take. It's a journey to the unknown in the best and worst possible of ways.

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
Something I've been working on, I'm really enjoying doing pixel art again after all the low-poly 3d of odia. Inspired by wolfenstein and metroid :D

R7xUHSu.png

Status
Not open for further replies.