• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I haven't posted any of my stuff in this thread yet until now! I wanted to share some of my real-time Unreal Engine projects with you all and get some feedback! :)

Atlantia: Museum Beneath The Sea:

In the not so distant future, the discovery and integration of alien life on the planet has forced cities to be built under the sea. Atlantia is an art-deco inspired museum residing in the Seafoam capital.

This was my first dive into Unreal Engine and building a real-time environment from scratch. My biggest influences were Bioshock, Gears 5, Dishonored, and the general aesthetics of art-deco with slight sci-fi influences.

Tools: Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Unreal Engine 4
Production Time: ~8 Weeks of off and on work
Foliage from Megascans.

tyler-klimek-slightlybrighter-atlantiaheader.jpg

tyler-klimek-atlantia-06-redux.jpg

tyler-klimek-atlantia-09-redux.jpg

tyler-klimek-atlantia-04-redux.jpg

Halo: Creation Project - Part 1 (Blood Gulch)

Halo has always held a special place in my gamer heart. After being inspired by Quixel's recreation of Blood Gulch, I was really interested in seeing if I could achieve a modern take on a Halo map in UE4 by myself. I initially was going to recreate Containment from Halo 2, but I decided to start with Blood Gulch for a couple of reasons. 1, being I have the Quixel recreation to learn from and compare how they achieved certain details. 2, being I figured it would be a good map to start learning terrain sculpting in UE4 on.

The terrain, canyon walls, and Halo ring were modeled/sculpted in Maya initially, then brought into UE4 to organize the map layout. I followed orthographic views of the original map to zone in on accurate layout and topology (making minor adjustments where needed). I worked iteratively on sculpting the terrain, canyon walls, building detailed lighting, and building the skybox around and on the halo array). Foliage & rock meshes are from quixel, & shaders made by me.

tyler-klimek-render-01.jpg

tyler-klimek-render-04.jpg

tyler-klimek-render-02.jpg

Zoélie (Game Environment UE4 WIP)

Here are some in-engine screenshots from an early look at a stylized 3D Puzzle-Platformer called "Zoélie" being worked on by a large group of around 40 students at SCAD being led by two industry professionals. These screenshots are from an early build of the game, and feature one of our three unique environments (An urban South American city set in the 80's)

I'm an environment artist on the integration team; contributions include world building/set dressing, modeling & texturing (procedural materials and handpainted) of various assets.

The environment is set in a South-american city and features stylized assets and materials, and our production follows the Agile workflow of development.

tyler-klimek-amanda-wood-highresscreenshot00004.jpg

tyler-klimek-amanda-wood-highresscreenshot00005.jpg

tyler-klimek-amanda-wood-highresscreenshot00013.jpg

This game will feature 3 unique environments, this city is one of the 3. This is the only of these 3 projects that I worked on with a team! The Atlantia and Blood Gulch ones were entirely done by myself! :)

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any good resources for tutorials on building a game engine? I'm not looking to actually make a game(I would just use an existing engine), I'm more curious in literally building the engine and tools and learning some of those concepts.

Atlantia: Museum Beneath The Sea:

That looks awesome! I love Bioshock and it's world so this is instantly appealing to me! The massive amount of attention to detail and the number of items laid out is impressive for one person!

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
The best current resource is maybe the Handmade Hero community.

handmade.network

Handmade Network

A community of programmers committed to producing quality software through deeper understanding.

hero.handmade.network

Handmade Hero

An ongoing project to create a complete, professional-quality game accompanied by videos that explain every single line of its source code.

You can also check out gamedev.net.

There used to be a few people here making their own engines and discussing it but Unity and similar software has become more and more the norm.

Even if making your own engine you might want to start with libraries or frameworks like SDL or Monogame. Depends how much you want to get into the trivia of things like exactly how an update loop works on Windows vs macOS, etc.
WOW Handmade Hero looks awesome! Thanks!

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Hey y'all, it's been a while. Haven't got anything new to share right now since I'm busy working on another project (first 3D game, college stuff) and haven't got the time to work on my own game that much sadly.

Anyways, looks like the Unity Asset Store is having a 50% off sale on their most popular assets, so I wanted to give people here a heads up in case. I'm really tempted to get the Dialogue System from PixelCrushers since my game could really use that one, would anyone here recommend it? Edit: caved in and bought it =P

Last edited:

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
I'm still working on my retro inspired shooter! I've almost got the map finished, most of the enemies done, just figuring out how to ship the game - polish, menus, saving, those kinds of systems :D There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

EzrdGp0.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Back on my WW1 kinda creepy walking sim adventure game thing (!?).

If it's a walking sim, I'm guessing you use the rifle as a walking stick? :)

I'm still working on my retro inspired shooter! I've almost got the map finished, most of the enemies done, just figuring out how to ship the game - polish, menus, saving, those kinds of systems :D There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

EzrdGp0.png

Very moody! It reminds me of the iconic Castlevania intro of Simon walking up to the gates of the castle. The street lights are a great touch.

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
If it's a walking sim, I'm guessing you use the rifle as a walking stick? :)

Very moody! It reminds me of the iconic Castlevania intro of Simon walking up to the gates of the castle. The street lights are a great touch.

Thanks! That vibe is exactly what I was going for - this is the final section of the game, so I was trying to amp up that "ominous approach" feel.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyways, looks like the Unity Asset Store is having a 50% off sale on their most popular assets, so I wanted to give people here a heads up in case. I'm really tempted to get the Dialogue System from PixelCrushers since my game could really use that one, would anyone here recommend it? Edit: caved in and bought it =P
I know you already got it, but it is great.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I played the Beginner's Guide again recently and now I have the sudden urge to try making weird ass levels. Is Source easy to use?
I don't think it qualifies as "easy". Unity is easier for sure.

Should I feel bad for using tutorials on how to implement some systems? (For example a depth system in GMS).

I do try myself first but...

Thanks for giving me another excuse to post here so I keep tabs of this thread lol. I made a small game in about a month (though work was just two weeks worths of days at most) mostly using tutorials to learn how it works. Once you get a grip of how the functions and data structures in GMS work, you can actually start messing with it.

Related, I decided to actually pay for GMS after making that small game and distribute it on itch.io. I think this might be the start of actually making games that I've always wanted to do at last.

Hell I've just made a dream come true lol.

I'll be hanging around with you guys.

EDIT: I just realized I replied to some really old posts. I apologize, I was nervous.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
link ur work!
i still have not to this day finished a gms project orz

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I will later today lol, I wasn't able to buy the fucking license because yoyogames died yesterday.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for giving me another excuse to post here so I keep tabs of this thread lol. I made a small game in about a month (though work was just two weeks worths of days at most) mostly using tutorials to learn how it works. Once you get a grip of how the functions and data structures in GMS work, you can actually start messing with it.

Related, I decided to actually pay for GMS after making that small game and distribute it on itch.io. I think this might be the start of actually making games that I've always wanted to do at last.

Hell I've just made a dream come true lol.

I'll be hanging around with you guys.

EDIT: I just realized I replied to some really old posts. I apologize, I was nervous.

Good to hear. No problem at responding to an old post though I did get confused at first.

Sadly progress on my own game has stopped once more. Wasn't even because of a hurdle. Just like with my writing. I get super into it and then one day I don't do it and then it takes me months if not a year to get back into it. Sad cycle.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
I barely started using it and I'm already loving it. It even has a quest and save system, which I wasn't expecting at all but it's super nice to have. Do you know if the save feature can be used for more than just dialogue by the way? Haven't got the time to fully dive in and experiment yet.
Yes. It is a full quest/conversation system. Its what I am using. You can save state of game objects. Also, register on their forum. The support is great too.

Edit: If you truly end up using it for everything, look at getting Articy Draft ( https://www.articy.com/en/ ) I got it on a Steam sale. You can create your story there and import the data into Dialogue System.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Yes. It is a full quest/conversation system. Its what I am using. You can save state of game objects. Also, register on their forum. The support is great too.

Edit: If you truly end up using it for everything, look at getting Articy Draft ( https://www.articy.com/en/ ) I got it on a Steam sale. You can create your story there and import the data into Dialogue System.

I just got my first quest going as a test, so far so good. I'll be trying to set up the save slots next, can't wait! I was planning on using Ink for the writing part and then import it to the Dialogue System since it's free, but I'll take a look at Articy too, thanks!

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Can anyone suggest a good comprehensive read/watch (books, conferences, blogs) on map design or level design?

I have a small rpg in mind, and in my idea it would have three main areas, nothing huge (definitely not open world, it would be pretty linear actually), but I don't know enough on how to actually design the levels.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone suggest a good comprehensive read/watch (books, conferences, blogs) on map design or level design?

I have a small rpg in mind, and in my idea it would have three main areas, nothing huge (definitely not open world, it would be pretty linear actually), but I don't know enough on how to actually design the levels.

That is actually an extremely complicated question to answer TBH - There's a lot of variables that go into exactly what kind of answer that question should get: 2D or 3D? If the former, Top-Down, Sidescroll, Isometric? If the latter, First-Person, Third-Person, Fixed-Camera, etc? And even past those questions, the exact genre, sub-genre, playercount, and general game-design goals that go into said map - Every last one of these variables is incredibly specific to each game.

In the realm of level-design as it's concerned to gameplay, there is no one singular answer, and honestly I don't think it's a thing that can be taught in the traditional sense. de_cache, a great map for Counter-Strike, probably wouldn't exactly be a great map for Halo or Call of Duty, since every single aspect of how it was designed to interface with gameplay was tuned precisely to CS. My best advice would be to observe the level design from games you intend to follow in the footsteps of very carefully and see what worked and didn't work - But take care when imitating those who came before, there was this one era when Call of Duty's multiplayer maps were all MOBA-Style 3-Laners, which just honestly did not work and played absolutely terribly. MOBA-Style maps do NOT mix with CoD's gameplay, and said design-choices were clearly trying to ape the rising-star success of League of Legends and DOTA 2 as Competitive Games.

...From an Art perspective though? There is established workflow out there that is near-universally applicable, at least in the 3D Space - Someone posted this site here before IIRC, so I'll repost it again: http://www.unreal4environments.com/ - I've not checked it out myself yet so I can't necessarily vouch for its quality, but I'm sure someone here can. I've not gotten far enough with my 3D Re-Prototyping of JAEGER yet to care for more than Grayboxing ATM.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
That is actually an extremely complicated question to answer TBH - There's a lot of variables that go into exactly what kind of answer that question should get: 2D or 3D? If the former, Top-Down, Sidescroll, Isometric? If the latter, First-Person, Third-Person, Fixed-Camera, etc? And even past those questions, the exact genre, sub-genre, playercount, and general game-design goals that go into said map - Every last one of these variables is incredibly specific to each game.

In the realm of level-design as it's concerned to gameplay, there is no one singular answer, and honestly I don't think it's a thing that can be taught in the traditional sense. de_cache, a great map for Counter-Strike, probably wouldn't exactly be a great map for Halo or Call of Duty, since every single aspect of how it was designed to interface with gameplay was tuned precisely to CS. My best advice would be to observe the level design from games you intend to follow in the footsteps of very carefully and see what worked and didn't work - But take care when imitating those who came before, there was this one era when Call of Duty's multiplayer maps were all MOBA-Style 3-Laners, which just honestly did not work and played absolutely terribly. MOBA-Style maps do NOT mix with CoD's gameplay, and said design-choices were clearly trying to ape the rising-star success of League of Legends and DOTA 2 as Competitive Games.

...From an Art perspective though? There is established workflow out there that is near-universally applicable, at least in the 3D Space - Someone posted this site here before IIRC, so I'll repost it again: http://www.unreal4environments.com/ - I've not checked it out myself yet so I can't necessarily vouch for its quality, but I'm sure someone here can. I've not gotten far enough with my 3D Re-Prototyping of JAEGER yet to care for more than Grayboxing ATM.
Yeah I thought so, I was hoping for a primer or a level design 101 kind of thing! haha Principles, good practices, and so on.
I'm thinking of a topdown RPG, like Wasteland/Fallout/Divinity Original Sin.

Someone already suggested that course to me a few weeks ago when I ask about environment art and it looks great, but doesn't really talk about enviroment/level design. :\

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought so, I was hoping for a primer or a level design 101 kind of thing! haha Principles, good practices, and so on.
I'm thinking of a topdown RPG, like Wasteland/Fallout/Divinity Original Sin.

Someone already suggested that course to me a few weeks ago when I ask about environment art and it looks great, but doesn't really talk about enviroment/level design. :\

Honestly the only thing I can say is focus all your efforts on gameplay first and once you have those elements in a MVP-state (Minimum Viable Product) start building some level prototypes and experiment with what makes the best use out of the gameplay systems you have designed. The most important mentality to have is that Level Design is a Subordinate of Gameplay - Good Gameplay doesn't take place in levels, but rather levels are part of the gameplay. At the very least that's the approach I take with JAEGER. I'd say nailing down the gameplay loop takes way higher precedence over level design as the slightest change to gameplay could have massive implications for levels already built.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Honestly the only thing I can say is focus all your efforts on gameplay first and once you have those elements in a MVP-state (Minimum Viable Product) start building some level prototypes and experiment with what makes the best use out of the gameplay systems you have designed. The most important mentality to have is that Level Design is a Subordinate of Gameplay - Good Gameplay doesn't take place in levels, but rather levels are part of the gameplay. At the very least that's the approach I take with JAEGER. I'd say nailing down the gameplay loop takes way higher precedence over level design as the slightest change to gameplay could have massive implications for levels already built.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. I just wanted to get ahead! :P

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
So I've been messing around with the Dialogue System and it's being going well, so I'm excited to dive back in and start prototyping again now that I don't have to worry about all the dialogue stuff, which was taking a lot of my time.

Does anyone here have any experience/best practices with the tilemaps in Unity? Do you just build the levels in the Unity editor, do you use external programs and then import the maps in, etc? Oh, tilemap collision tips would be appreciated too.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to start prototyping the level design for some new areas but since I have no art for it yet, I want to make the levels with a generic tilemap spritesheet that I'm gonna make, and then replace the tiles with the proper assets later on. Is there an automatic way of doing something like this or I'll need to do it manually by placing the new tiles over the prototype version once that's done?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I really need to get back into the habit of reposting my screenshotSaturdays here. The ones from today:

I've just now realized the music in the first one ended up looping almost perfecly, heh.

Oct 26, 2017
The reason I'm asking is because I want to start prototyping the level design for some new areas but since I have no art for it yet, I want to make the levels with a generic tilemap spritesheet that I'm gonna make, and then replace the tiles with the proper assets later on. Is there an automatic way of doing something like this or I'll need to do it manually by placing the new tiles over the prototype version once that's done?

I use 2D Toolkit as opposed to Unity's tools, so my methods will be a little different.

What I'd say is don't worry about making your generic tilemap for level design match in any way to "real" assets, or even assets that look "contextually" Correct.

I created a sprite sheet of "primatives" that I use to grey (orange) box out a level. Then I make my actual assets based on the shapes and dimensions. I also take some artistic liberty to extend/distort things appropriately for the asset I'm using.

Here's an example:

"Orange Box"
pmBj1k8.png

"Assets"
B]

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

Here's to another patch after two months! I was going strong with a biweekly schedule before, but COVID-19 changed everything. Anyway, I am glad to get this out.

EzrdGp0.png

The atmosphere in this shot is phenomenal. I would love to see your project in motion!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Here's to another patch after two months! I was going strong with a biweekly schedule before, but COVID-19 changed everything. Anyway, I am glad to get this out.

I know it's not the focus and it's probably been shown before, but I love the font, especially the details like the capital A's not having the horizontal stroke making it look more alien and futuristic.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
seeing all this ludum dare stuff roll up is making me think I should enter a jam at some point.

has Era done a LD entry thread before? I should probably search that out.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not the focus and it's probably been shown before, but I love the font, especially the details like the capital A's not having the horizontal stroke making it look more alien and futuristic.

Thank you! I lack any sort of artistic talents, so it's the little things like the font that help me evoke the futuristic vibe I am going for.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
seeing all this ludum dare stuff roll up is making me think I should enter a jam at some point.

has Era done a LD entry thread before? I should probably search that out.
I now will! I'll be on the look out to join one.

Good to hear. No problem at responding to an old post though I did get confused at first.

Sadly progress on my own game has stopped once more. Wasn't even because of a hurdle. Just like with my writing. I get super into it and then one day I don't do it and then it takes me months if not a year to get back into it. Sad cycle.
It happens to me, which is why I took the trial's time as a time limit to finish it. It worked, it's a simple platformer, but it helped me.

I have a 70 page's manuscript waiting for me to carry on. Those 70 pages were written in roughly a week.

I think a lot of people in this thread can relate to that feeling. :) I became a software engineer because I wanted to make games, but it's taken almost 20 years for me to actually get to it. :D
Don't we all lol

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gamejammed before and kinda want to get my beak wet on something but have no idea what. If quarantine didn't exist I would probably try something in person though. =__=

just need to force myself to actually finish something instead of flitting between 18 different prototypes (even if I'm enjoying myself)

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
The atmosphere in this shot is phenomenal. I would love to see your project in motion!

Thanks! It's definitely one atmospheric game, I've spent a lot of dev time perfecting the look of it. Here's a really old gif of it in motion. It's gotten tons better since then, though. Mostly the enemies, the ones you see there are just sprite stand-ins.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys! So, I participated in this Lundum Dare. My first in like three years or something. It's also the first game I've actually posted in more than 2 years. I've been getting back to gamedev after some time away and it felt good to actually finish something, even if it's very simple. It was also pretty intense, especially with a problem with UI scaling when I was going to submit it that almost drove me crazy lol

anyway, you have to project a bag of flour during a school day. If you also participated please share a link and I can also rate it!

LD Link: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/46/flour-baby

itch link: https://miguelcondez.itch.io/flour-baby

anyway, if you play it I hope you enjoyed it! Technically it isn't too complicated. Doing all the drawings was probably the most time consuming part. But I'm happy I came up with a concept and executed it pretty close to what I wanted. There was a time when I thought I was going to cut most of it.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Hi guys! So, I participated in this Lundum Dare. My first in like three years or something. It's also the first game I've actually posted in more than 2 years. I've been getting back to gamedev after some time away and it felt good to actually finish something, even if it's very simple. It was also pretty intense, especially with a problem with UI scaling when I was going to submit it that almost drove me crazy lol

anyway, you have to project a bag of flour during a school day. If you also participated please share a link and I can also rate it!

anyway, if you play it I hope you enjoyed it! Technically it isn't too complicated. Doing all the drawings was probably the most time consuming part. But I'm happy I came up with a concept and executed it pretty close to what I wanted. There was a time when I thought I was going to cut most of it.
Congrats on pulling through! I'll be trying this tonight.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

ddBh9Gi.png

Pretty fun! The only criticism I would make is to perhaps swap stage 1 and 2, as the gym is considerably easier (you can just stay on the lower part of the screen and dodge left / right). It would also make thematic sense to have a class, then recess, then another class. :)

Just added a new character to the game... once again, its another one to go out and kill you

HOLY S-! I'm not easy to scare but that was amazing, congratulations! :O

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I finally managed to publish the game!

dskzero.itch.io

breathe by dskzero

horror themed platformer with a twist

It's a very simple platformer I made to learn to make games on gamemaker and to learn a bit about design. I'll take this as a base for something much more elaborate in the future, as of now, I've done it. I'll start to plan a new project now, I think I've got enough confidence in that I can make it work now.

EDIT: It's seriously very simple. Like, utterly simple. Simple as possible. Like it should have been made for a jam named "SIMPLE STUFF".

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I finally managed to publish the game!

dskzero.itch.io

breathe by dskzero

horror themed platformer with a twist

It's a very simple platformer I made to learn to make games on gamemaker and to learn a bit about design. I'll take this as a base for something much more elaborate in the future, as of now, I've done it. I'll start to plan a new project now, I think I've got enough confidence in that I can make it work now.

EDIT: It's seriously very simple. Like, utterly simple. Simple as possible. Like it should have been made for a jam named "SIMPLE STUFF".

SHWz5SJ.png

Overall quite nice! The level design is good and follows solid "Nintendo" principles of introducing obstacles (like fall-through blocks and one-square gaps under a ceiling) in a safe, controlled way before making them dangerous.

Only one thing: the camera followed the character, but it was not centered, which meant that I had a long field of view to my right, and an unpleasantly short one to my left. The tower actually seems like it's just wide enough to fit in the screen, so you may want to remove horizontal camera movement altogether.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Congrats on pulling through! I'll be trying this tonight.

Thank you! Hope you enkoy

ddBh9Gi.png

Pretty fun! The only criticism I would make is to perhaps swap stage 1 and 2, as the gym is considerably easier (you can just stay on the lower part of the screen and dodge left / right). It would also make thematic sense to have a class, then recess, then another class. :)

HOLY S-! I'm not easy to scare but that was amazing, congratulations! :O

Thanks for playing! And thanks for the feedback. I agree that swapping them makes sense. I had some problems figuring out the difficulty, but even thematically it does make more sense class->recess->class.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
SHWz5SJ.png

Overall quite nice! The level design is good and follows solid "Nintendo" principles of introducing obstacles (like fall-through blocks and one-square gaps under a ceiling) in a safe, controlled way before making them dangerous.

Only one thing: the camera followed the character, but it was not centered, which meant that I had a long field of view to my right, and an unpleasantly short one to my left. The tower actually seems like it's just wide enough to fit in the screen, so you may want to remove horizontal camera movement altogether.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely change this.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
So I've finished a milestone. I spent around a year on it (No idea what the actual work time is) and it feels like I've run a marathon. In the end it was more about building tools for my game rather than working on the game itself as it basically looks exactly the same. I realised near the end and thought it'd be a good idea to strip off the tools I'd made, make them nice and generic so I could use them in smaller games I'm going to be working on during a well earned break.

In the end I have: Dialogue System, Waypoint System, Modular AI and a little Architecture based on Scriptable Objects that I'll be using for my future games. I have no idea if it was worth the year. I guess I'll find out when I work on another project, in theory it should take me a year less :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.