• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I know its been a while ince I have posted anything but there is a very good reason.

I have moved my project to be an actual NES game!! weeeeee!!

So I have actually been doing a lot of work in developing tools and learning the ins and outs of the NES hardware.
Below is a peek at the asset development tool I have created. This tool is used to handle all the CHR roms, palettes, and map building.
I do not want to show the actual NES game until i get a little futher in development but its all coming together nicely.

I have the utmost admiration for people that make games on original hardware, and the NES is going really back. Hats off and godspeed, my friend.

Hey, thanks very much for saying so, you're far too kind! (For the record, it certainly doesn't feel this way to me, though I'm hoping it's just impostor syndrome).

It has to be 100% imposter syndrome, that damned reverse Dunning-Kuger, because I can't even imagine how anyone would not think this is a fully professional AA game, then I remember I'm constantly seeing the faults and cut corners in my own game that nobody else can see.

There's a story that Justin Ma (one of the two developers of FTL) told that kind of illustrates this. The FTL effect itself (the ship jumping to another sector, which in-game is shown by the camera zooming out and the ship disappearing while a sound effect plays) was originally a placeholder meant to be replaced with the final effect. But it was never, ever mentioned by playtesters as something that needed to be changed (if you've played the game, you know what I mean), so it never was. The moral of the story is that it's a good idea to give the game to other people and let them guide you on the aspects that need polish, because we're too close to the trees and their cogs and levers to see the forest.

This was an odd one to sort out, because unlike most things the costume changes were something I never considered early on. I had never really weaved any logic into the way they work, they just kinda appeared as you start a world. So after playing about with a few ideas, I've settled on this as a solution to hopefully remedy the lack of cohesion!

This is super cool and already something that your game has over KIngdom Hears games! They don't have the characters changing on every wold (just some of them), and they never show the change in real time.

Yeah, I should add configurable controls, this is something I postponed until the last moment and then found I had no time and energy left to do it. Next time it´ll be there right from the start. I´m not completely sold on having 4 independent inputs, but I´ll see if I can add both methods and let the player choose.

For the HTML version, are settings lost every time you reload it? That might be an issue if you have to reconfigure the controls every time.

BTW, another thing I didn't mention: Enter goes into the options menu, but then resets the game once you exit. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it's a bit of a newbie trap if you do it in the middle of a game...

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
I don't suppose anyone knows where a good website or place to find people to collaborate with is? Or maybe someone here needs help with graphics, 3D modelling some stuff anything, then I may be able to help(I may not be that great, I cant do triple AAA quality but will try my best). I'm not bothered about payment or anything, I just need something to do and it might help me actually finish something.
I've had some luck finding artists in the past here:

forums.indiegamer.com

Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)

Post requests for paid positions here. Please do not post requests for volunteers, team members or profit sharing positions. PAID POSITIONS ONLY.

Edit, oh and here too

Develteam | Game developer community | Game dev team up

A Community for Creating Games. Share your game developer portfolio, collaboration forums, chat rooms, game dev team up, indie team up. Start Making Games!

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the HTML version, are settings lost every time you reload it? That might be an issue if you have to reconfigure the controls every time.
Good point, I´ll have to look into that.

BTW, another thing I didn't mention: Enter goes into the options menu, but then resets the game once you exit. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it's a bit of a newbie trap if you do it in the middle of a game...
Good catch, this is due to me using ESC at first to access menus but then discovering that this key was unusable in HTML5, so I had to change to ENTER and it ended affecting the way the menus flowed. I think I´ll make ENTER pause the game and ask if you want to quit to the menu without saving or continue playing.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I've had some luck finding artists in the past here:

forums.indiegamer.com

Help Wanted (PAID ONLY)

Post requests for paid positions here. Please do not post requests for volunteers, team members or profit sharing positions. PAID POSITIONS ONLY.

Edit, oh and here too

Develteam | Game developer community | Game dev team up

A Community for Creating Games. Share your game developer portfolio, collaboration forums, chat rooms, game dev team up, indie team up. Start Making Games!

That's great thanks, not sure I can get paid for anything I create currently yet though.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Made a small video with what i'm going for with this dice game. Excuse teh quality as recording on my laptop and running the prototype at the same time was a bit laggy.
Some things:
Matching colors of the dice and skill results in a better effect such as increased damage or range.
Currently the dice are capped at 3 so maybe I should change it from dice to something like cards and make it more deck based. Then you could probably edit your deck of cards and the abilities.It would still have an element of 'randomness'...but it would be a bit more controlled?
Force is really fun. You can push yourself and enemies away at the same time and it kind of becomes a game of 'zoning' out the enemies. I also want to add holes into the terrain that you could push enemies into for an instant kill.

I've got a lot of ideas for this...it's just kind of a playground for me right now. One thing i'd like to try is adding powerups to the field such as health or an extra dice to use on pickup and have them affected by skills that can things around. I'll probably add a hookshot or boomerang skill that pulls enemies and powerups to you. I'd also like to add bombs that would blow up after a certain number of turns, or when pushed into the player or enemy. I don't know...i'm just going to keep toying with this a see where it goes.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there another program other than Twine to make a text-base adventure game?

Oct 26, 2017
Currently the dice are capped at 3 so maybe I should change it from dice to something like cards and make it more deck based. Then you could probably edit your deck of cards and the abilities.It would still have an element of 'randomness'...but it would be a bit more controlled?

Deck building games are kind-of on trend at the moment, so it depends if you want to follow the trend or set it!

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Made a small video with what i'm going for with this dice game. Excuse teh quality as recording on my laptop and running the prototype at the same time was a bit laggy.
Some things:
Matching colors of the dice and skill results in a better effect such as increased damage or range.

You could always make it a dice building game, like Quarriors. I love that twist and wish more games followed that.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Deck building games are kind-of on trend at the moment, so it depends if you want to follow the trend or set it!

Yea, that's something I had been considering. It seems to be the current thing and I definitely want to do something different.

You could always make it a dice building game, like Quarriors. I love that twist and wish more games followed that.

That sounds interesting! I've never played it but I watched a breakdown of it and it sounds like a great twist. Could add more effects to the dice..I was already doing colors giving bonuses to your abilities so maybe I could add different effects to different sides of the dice. Have dice that are more likely to roll different numbers, etc. This gives me a lot to think about! Thanks for pointing that one out!

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
Generic.png

Something I just noticed that Unity 2020.1 beta has generic serialization now so I don't have to create loads of worthless classes if I don't need to. I've put an image in showing the old way of doing things and the new generic version. I'm going to do more testing now to see how far I can push it, this'll be super handy for me.

Last edited:

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Generic.png

Something I just noticed that Unity 2020.1 beta has generic serialization now so I don't have to create loads of worthless classes if I don't need to. I've put an image in showing the old way of doing things and the new generic version. I'm going to do more testing now to see how far I can push it, this'll be super handy for me.

Nice, very nice.

Anyway, found this elsewhere, some of you might be interested:

Kenney 10 year anniversary by Kenney

A sale by Kenney, 100% off Kenney Game Assets 1, Kenney Game Assets 2, Kenney Game Assets 3

Three asset packs for free, only about 7 Hours and 50 minutes left on the deal though as of this post. Seem like fairly decent assets for prototyping with.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Anyway, found this elsewhere, some of you might be interested:

Kenney 10 year anniversary by Kenney

A sale by Kenney, 100% off Kenney Game Assets 1, Kenney Game Assets 2, Kenney Game Assets 3

Three asset packs for free, only about 7 Hours and 50 minutes left on the deal though as of this post. Seem like fairly decent assets for prototyping with.

You, sir, are a superstar. Thank you so much for this!

If you don't mind I'm going to repost this on the "Free games" thread for extra visibility.

Miggsthejust

Oct 27, 2017
Guys... I just pulled an all nighter and wrapped up work on the early access build for my game. Just pressed the button on Steamworks... 5 years of work and it's all happening now during this f'd up time. Life is bizarre.

youtu.be

Aerial Raver Early Access Trailer - Launches March 25th!

Come Join the Rave on March 25: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046350/Aerial_Raver/Join the Discord and say whats up: discord.gg/rrNaEN4

If you're into doing flashy fighting combos and dig upgrade/launch games it might be your thing. Check it out and let me know what you think, I plan to have at least one more year of development and I know there's a lot to improve but I'm pretty satisfied with the core gameplay loop.

If anyone has any tips around running an early access game, or just steam tips in general I'd love to discuss them.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
ET-J3gaUUAABnIR

For my RPG I'm redesigning the dialogue system with the help of this simple test scene.

I'm switching to a conversation wheel like Mass Effect so that players can talk while simultaneously doing other things. During combat for example, the player can throw in a few taunts if they feel bold enough or try to talk their way out of the fight. It functions almost like a traditional weapon wheel in that regard.

The options will be procedurally generated based off context and be trimmed down to just a few options for most screens. If the player wants to say something specific that isn't shown, a second conversation wheel has static options that are always accessible. I'm currently playing The Outer Worlds and one slightly minor thing I'm disliking is that when talking to companions, options like "return to the ship" clutter the screen a bit.

Guys... I just pulled an all nighter and wrapped up work on the early access build for my game. Just pressed the button on Steamworks... 5 years of work and it's all happening now during this f'd up time. Life is bizarre.

youtu.be

Aerial Raver Early Access Trailer - Launches March 25th!

Come Join the Rave on March 25: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046350/Aerial_Raver/Join the Discord and say whats up: discord.gg/rrNaEN4

If you're into doing flashy fighting combos and dig upgrade/launch games it might be your thing. Check it out and let me know what you think, I plan to have at least one more year of development and I know there's a lot to improve but I'm pretty satisfied with the core gameplay loop.

If anyone has any tips around running an early access game, or just steam tips in general I'd love to discuss them.

Congrats in reaching this stage and releasing in early access!

One quick thing I noticed is that your steam page is missing the link to your discord, "through the game discord (address)."

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i should be doing [X] but instead i want to work on a dialogue system

Annoyingly I may have to relocate due to quarantine, so I might dig out my old laptop and hope it can run gamemaker alright on it, because I'm not going to be able to lug this desktop around easily. Which sucks, but hopefully the laptop can run itch.io stuff.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
COVID-19 has put development of my game on hold for the time being, but that didn't dissuade my artist from finishing the next (and final) character piece. Eucreta is a trans woman and Alexandra's girlfriend, the woman seen in my Twitter handle and profile picture here. They're really cute together!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey y'all.

So, I've got an idea for a game. I was messing around in Dreams, but I think I'd rather learn outside of the restrictions of that system.

I'm not a great artist, so I'm going for a visual style similar to Undertale. The game will be similar in presentation, and will have turn based and stealth top down gameplay.

I have no idea which engine or program to work with though, the choice is kind of crippling. I'm a web developer so I'm used to knuckling down and learning new languages and systems, and I really want to give this a good shot during the lockdown.

I know this is all a big vague, but any advice on where to begin? I would rather spend as little as possible. Thanks!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey y'all.

So, I've got an idea for a game. I was messing around in Dreams, but I think I'd rather learn outside of the restrictions of that system.

I'm not a great artist, so I'm going for a visual style similar to Undertale. The game will be similar in presentation, and will have turn based and stealth top down gameplay.

I have no idea which engine or program to work with though, the choice is kind of crippling. I'm a web developer so I'm used to knuckling down and learning new languages and systems, and I really want to give this a good shot during the lockdown.

I know this is all a big vague, but any advice on where to begin? I would rather spend as little as possible. Thanks!

This seems like a job for RPG Maker. :) Undertale itself is made in Game Maker, which would also be an appropriate choice if you want to learn a more general engine to make other kinds of games.
Basically:

RPGMaker <-> Game Maker <-> Unity
<- More specific engine; faster development -------- More general engine; more involved development ->

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a job for RPG Maker. :) Undertale itself is made in Game Maker, which would also be an appropriate choice if you want to learn a more general engine to make other kinds of games.
Basically:

RPGMaker <-> Game Maker <-> Unity
<- More specific engine; faster development -------- More general engine; more involved development ->

Ha, I was browsing the programs I own and I have both of these picked up In past bundles... was considering it.

Why would you recommend RPG maker over Gamemaker? Cheers mate!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ha, I was browsing the programs I own and I have both of these picked up In past bundles... was considering it.

Why would you recommend RPG maker over Gamemaker? Cheers mate!

I actually haven't used either of them (only Unity), so take it with a huge pinch of salt, but the more specialized an engine is, the easier it is to make a game with it, and early on you want to make games as quickly as possible because most people quit before finishing their first game. And, obviously, RPG Maker is designed to make 2D, top-down RPGs, so it would be the most specialized engine you can use for making one.

If you don't mind putting in more work, and in the process learn a lot more about game development in general that you can then apply to other genres, then one of the other choices may also work, but again, the danger of not ever finishing anything is very high even under the best conditions; this cannot possibly be overstated. From Spelunky's dev:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I actually haven't used either of them (only Unity), so take it with a huge pinch of salt, but the more specialized an engine is, the easier it is to make a game with it, and early on you want to make games as quickly as possible because most people quit before finishing their first game. And, obviously, RPG Maker is designed to make 2D, top-down RPGs, so it would be the most specialized engine you can use for making one.

If you don't mind putting in more work, and in the process learn a lot more about game development in general that you can then apply to other genres, then one of the other choices may also work, but again, the danger of not ever finishing anything is very high even under the best conditions.
Yeh, I understand this point too well... I'll take a look at RPG maker then. If games like To The Moon have been created with it, it seems more than good enough for my first shot at this.

Thanks a lot Weltall!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeh, I understand this point too well... I'll take a look at RPG maker then. If games like To The Moon have been created with it, it seems more than good enough for my first shot at this.

Thanks a lot Weltall!

Sure thing! I was actually going to specifically point out that To The Moon was made in it, hahah.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm researching/workshopping ideas for adding a fishing mechanic into my game (which is a sidescrolling metroidvania RPG).

Here are my main criteria:

1) chill aspect. Fishing should involve just kind of hanging out and taking in the environment and atmosphere. It should be one of the ways the pace of the game can be slowed down (as an optional activity, of course). So there should be an element of patience and waiting involved.

2) an element that rewards skill and/or preparedness. This could mean being good at timing a minigame/reacting to something, or having the right items for the right spot -- At the same time, though, I probably don't want to let it become overcomplicated. Balancing act.

3) an element of mystery. So even if there is logic and predictability to what fish you'll catch in a given spot with a given tactic/item/whatever, you probably shouldn't be able to see what you caught until you catch it so that the surprise rush is there.

So with that in mind, can anyone point me to a good fishing mechanic from an existing game, or otherwise pitch me how you think it could be done (be as specific as you like)? Also, is there much precedent for fishing in 2d sidescrollers? I literally can't think of an example of that right now (I'm sure they exist, though).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm researching/workshopping ideas for adding a fishing mechanic into my game (which is a sidescrolling metroidvania RPG).

1) chill aspect. Fishing should involve just kind of hanging out and taking in the environment and atmosphere. It should be one of the ways the pace of the game can be slowed down (as an optional activity, of course). So there should be an element of patience and waiting involved.

2) an element that rewards skill and/or preparedness. This could mean being good at timing a minigame/reacting to something, or having the right items for the right spot -- At the same time, though, I probably don't want to let it become overcomplicated. Balancing act.

3) an element of mystery. So even if there is logic and predictability to what fish you'll catch in a given spot with a given tactic/item/whatever, you probably shouldn't be able to see what you caught until you catch it so that the surprise rush is there.

So with that in mind, can anyone point me to a good fishing mechanic from an existing game, or otherwise pitch me how you think it could be done (be as specific as you like)? Also, is there much precedent for fishing in 2d sidescrollers? I literally can't think of an example of that right now (I'm sure they exist, though).

It's easy to forget, but Shovel Knight has fishing in its base campaign. It's literally the simplest implementation of fishing you could think of: you use your fishing pole on any bottomless pit, and get a reward, typically health-restoring fish. On some pits there's a glitter effect and fishing there gives a money reward.

Following that, I would try to make fishing as simple as possible. I would perhaps eschew any element of preparedness / baits / etc (they're just not that fun most of the time, least of all in a more action-oriented title like a sidescroller), and go with a simpler, but ideally fun, pure on-the-spot minigame.

Fishing spots could have visible fish (they could be shadows, to preserve the element of mystery you mention), and you have to time the power of your throw to land the hook right above them. One of my favorite fishing minigames is from Breath of Fire 2, and it happens to be 2D, side-view fishing. For some reason I can't find videos of high-level fishing, but here's one of someone getting the treasure chests at the bottom which at least gives an idea of the fish composition in them:

To get high level fish to bite in BoF2 you need both specialized bait, and to wiggle the sinker to attract their attention; and of course larger fish are more prone to breaking your line so you have to ration your pulling. Hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Oct 26, 2017
Have you guys got any tips regarding recording gifs, specifically for twitter?

I'm making do with using "ScreenToGif" at the moment, which is fine, but I still feel like the published gif quality is lower than that of other games I see tweeting (Less vivid colours etc.)

I want to use gifs over video because gifs autoplay by default, which is more eye-catching.

Suggestions or recommendations for recording software and export settings?

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017

Fishing definitely sounds like a cool mechanic for your game even if it isn't that fun. Stuff like that in my opinion really helps sell environments as livable worlds.

How are you planning to handle the water? Will the player be fishing in small holes scattered about, or will it be within water that you're already including in the levels?

FF15 had a kinda good fishing mechanic imo. A scaled back version of that could be cool.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I'm making do with using "ScreenToGif" at the moment, which is fine, but I still feel like the published gif quality is lower than that of other games I see tweeting (Less vivid colours etc.)

I want to use gifs over video because gifs autoplay by default, which is more eye-catching.

I gave up on Twitter gifs precisely because Twitter turns them back into (soundless) videos. I didn't realize they autoplay though, that's one good reason to use them.

The few times I've actually done that, I've first recorded my game (using your choice video recording software, in my case nVidia's), then uploaded them here:
ezgif.com

Video to animated GIF converter

Upload your video, select the part you want to convert and instanlty create a GIF in good quality for free and without watermarks.
The resulting gifs seem decent enough, but gifs by nature are always going to mangle your game's visuals due to low frame rate and compression. Granted, Twitter does that to videos anyway, so... there's really no decent solution. :/

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017

I use ShareX to create my GIFs. It's a bit like snipping tool plus GIFs and vids.

Oct 26, 2017
I gave up on Twitter gifs precisely because Twitter turns them back into (soundless) videos. I didn't realize they autoplay though, that's one good reason to use them.

The few times I've actually done that, I've first recorded my game (using your choice video recording software, in my case nVidia's), then uploaded them here:
ezgif.com

Video to animated GIF converter

Upload your video, select the part you want to convert and instanlty create a GIF in good quality for free and without watermarks.
The resulting gifs seem decent enough, but gifs by nature are always going to mangle your game's visuals due to low frame rate and compression. Granted, Twitter does that to videos anyway, so... there's really no decent solution. :/

I use ShareX to create my GIFs. It's a bit like snipping tool plus GIFs and vids.

Thanks guys, I shall check these out :)

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
wTxfULo.png

This is the custom editor I've set up for my dialogue system. Since my game is 100% procedural, standard dialogue editors wouldn't work.

Every line of dialogue exists in a vacuum and is independent of other lines. The parameters associated with it are used by the system to procedurally decide what happens. I'm using a bitmask with 32 tags like "introduction" and "greeting." The tags mostly determine how the conversation flows. So for example if an NPC says something that is tagged as both "information" and "insult," the player's conversation wheel gets filled with lines thanking the NPC, lines asking for more information, lines relevant to being insulted, and lines that are a mix.

The second bit of information is how the line of dialogue is presented. If the player/NPC is angry they are more likely to say lines with higher anger values for example. These values also affect emotions internally with NPCs, potentially causing them to go "off script" if something is extreme. An extremely formal line in a black market or an extremely casual line in front of royalty will not go unnoticed.

All of the data and parameters in the screenshot are placeholders. I'll potentially increase it to a 64 tag maximum to make conversations feel less structured and I'll definitely add more presentation variables. Translations will take a lot of work so I might have to have fully separate dialogue lists per language.

One minor but cool thing about this system is that it allows real time conversations. For example a player could directly pick a line tagged with "greeting" and "insult" or they could say a greeting and quickly follow it up with an insult before the NPC responds.

i should be doing [X] but instead i want to work on a dialogue system

Annoyingly I may have to relocate due to quarantine, so I might dig out my old laptop and hope it can run gamemaker alright on it, because I'm not going to be able to lug this desktop around easily. Which sucks, but hopefully the laptop can run itch.io stuff.

At least for me jumping around a project is a good way to keep my motivation up. Best of luck with staying productive during quarantine.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to forget, but Shovel Knight has fishing in its base campaign. It's literally the simplest implementation of fishing you could think of: you use your fishing pole on any bottomless pit, and get a reward, typically health-restoring fish. On some pits there's a glitter effect and fishing there gives a money reward.

Following that, I would try to make fishing as simple as possible. I would perhaps eschew any element of preparedness / baits / etc (they're just not that fun most of the time, least of all in a more action-oriented title like a sidescroller), and go with a simpler, but ideally fun, pure on-the-spot minigame.

Fishing spots could have visible fish (they could be shadows, to preserve the element of mystery you mention), and you have to time the power of your throw to land the hook right above them. One of my favorite fishing minigames is from Breath of Fire 2, and it happens to be 2D, side-view fishing. For some reason I can't find videos of high-level fishing, but here's one of someone getting the treasure chests at the bottom which at least gives an idea of the fish composition in them:

To get high level fish to bite in BoF2 you need both specialized bait, and to wiggle the sinker to attract their attention; and of course larger fish are more prone to breaking your line so you have to ration your pulling. Hopefully this gives you some ideas!

Fishing definitely sounds like a cool mechanic for your game even if it isn't that fun. Stuff like that in my opinion really helps sell environments as livable worlds.

How are you planning to handle the water? Will the player be fishing in small holes scattered about, or will it be within water that you're already including in the levels?

FF15 had a kinda good fishing mechanic imo. A scaled back version of that could be cool.

I think fishing is very fun in games, but I guess I may just be weird :)

The idea I'm currently working with is kind of a drone you throw out and control in the water. You keep it still in the right spot to lure a fish in and press the button with the right timing to catch it -- once it's inside the drone, you can retrieve it by bringing the character to the drone (or the drone to the character). As an interesting layer of depth here, we can actually use the simple fish we just caught as bait to look for more exotic or bigger fish. It provides depth but without making a bunch of difficult interface stuff for me to do or players to wade through.

With respect to your question, there are a lot of bodies of water in the game already, and my plan is to let you put the fishing drone anywhere you want. Hot zones where different fish can be caught will be placed appropriately

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hmmm lol jumping around again in my brain... weird urge to learn pico-8...

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
So I've finally finished my backend scripting system based on INK. I say finished but it still needs a lot of work but I can add extra stuff as I go along. I'm currently working on splitting it off from the actual game into its own module. I've actually got a couple of other systems I've noticed that would be useful in other games so looks like I'm creating a nice little library. Anyway the working title I've given it is INK WIM (Writers Interface Module), I'm not the best with names.

The second image is the main bulk of it. There's some other little bits tucked away.

It mostly works with a system of Scriptable Objects inside of unity. The beauty of it is you can use as much or as little of it as you want because it still functions like INK at its base (well mostly) but you also can create whatever you want to perform in Unity and hook it in. For example the Direct_MoveTo near the bottom interfaces with my Waypoint system using a slug and then it passes an instruction to my AI to move to that waypoint. I guess it a glorified modding language in a way and I suppose it could be used that way. It was originally just intended to allow my writer to manipulate the whole game how he wanted. Well I'm going to be building some smaller games with it and see how it performs.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been busy working on smaller updates for Ephemeral Tale the past few weeks. I generally go back and forth between content generation and polish, and have been in a polish mood. With that said, COVID-19 has kicked me in the ass (not personally, mind you) and made me feel obligated to try and get some additional content in the game for folks, leading to this:

To be honest, I viewed it as a pretty simple win-- make a couple of HUD elements, slap some stat equations in place, boom-- done. But in my typical fashion, I couldn't justify just half-assing it, so I full-assed it. You'll have to collect a book that translates animal speech before you can recruit the new party member, which has lead to me having to write a bunch of new dialogue (which is my achille's heel).

But dammit, I am committed to this stupid ass idea.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
well i bought pico-8. maybe i'll actually publish a game for once lol

Pleiades

Dec 12, 2017
We Star Citizen now. Quad tree LOD procedural planet rendering. Sprinkle in with some space game starter code and you have this:

izwLwuu.png

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
One thing about Covid 19 ....more time to putz around.

Work was crazy, so I paused for ~5 months. SO I ended up saying...hey upgrade to Unity 2018 from 2017. Get rid of my camera and cutscene software and go full cinemachine and timeline.

Farther head in some areas. Farther back in others

But now going forward again.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't have any actual JAEGER content to post right now yet, sorry - But, I do have another repository of Free CC0 assets to drop here, and this time it's not a limited time offer expiring in a few hours: https://3dmodelhaven.com/models/

Hope this helps some of you in here for whatever purposes you need them for.

Anyway, since some have posted character art in here, I might as well too, with no context whatsoever but them being part of the Rogues Gallery. As always, all character designs in JAEGER are by Hyuei.

AJRF_Reila_d01.png
Serris.png

Heard some of y'all like Witches, so here's two of them that Aaren Kaufman will get to face off against in her morally ambiguous adventures in Lupercal - Tamamo-no-Mae and Serris Kellhezen.

Anyway it's probably still going to be a little while before I can actually show actual gameplay content again, the switch to 3D has necessitated a lot of experimentation with my previously established design and development conventions and some sacrifices where needed, and I'll probably be refraining from showing anything directly until it's ready, so I'll be ghost for a little while until then. I'll be back before the next Half-Life, KH3, FF7R, PSO2, Bannerlord YanSim, assuming history doesn't hold true for once, which would make this run-on sentence's joke age very badly, which is like a Resonance Cascade Scenario extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Coronavirus has accelerated my working speed since I don't have anywhere to go and have to work remotely. News give me anxiety so I'm throwing myself to work. At this rate my game is finished this or next month. Feels surreal. There are some factors that don't depend on me, but if my workload shrinks to nothing, I'm gonna keep polishing the game.

K Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Its been a while (over a year ago) that I last dropped by but to be honest, I havent made much progress as work has been taking up my time. With this lockdown in place though, its given more more time to do Indie GameDev :)

Spent a lot of time migrating from Unity 2017 to 2019 and these were the first tests to. make sure things were working.

XQaG9t4.gif

AjN9tSH.gif

1Wxp74n.gif

Tried another scene and certain things were clearly broken though, the Heart beat going nuts here (meaning you were always in Fear):

Thankfully, most of it is now fixed and I'm starting to get back to working on new things. The Dynamic Music Score is getting some love this weekend:

I don't see the lockdown changing anytime soon, so hopefully I can contribute more again here :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
the Heart beat going nuts here (meaning you were always in Fear)

To be fair that's probably representative of the player experience, hahah; the atmosphere is off the charts.

Your game looks better and better every time, holy shit. It's not even obvious that it's an indie game, but the fact that's the work of a single person is downright mindblowing. You should feel incredibly proud of it.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Coronavirus has accelerated my working speed since I don't have anywhere to go and have to work remotely. News give me anxiety so I'm throwing myself to work. At this rate my game is finished this or next month. Feels surreal. There are some factors that don't depend on me, but if my workload shrinks to nothing, I'm gonna keep polishing the game.
Ive been the same way. Being forced to stay in all day has kept me very productive with my projects! It's the one silver lining in all of this crazy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.