• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This whole Twitter spiel still is new grounds for me, but I try. How are the lot of you doing at managing your project's social media accounts?

I'm not sure there's a point to doing one for my small project, but I used to do this kind of stuff for publishers and I loved it. Have you made up/thought about a marketing plan or are you just winging it as you go?

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure there's a point to doing one for my small project, but I used to do this kind of stuff for publishers and I loved it. Have you made up/thought about a marketing plan or are you just winging it as you go?

Winging it, really. My primary aim is to get people to download and play my demo in hopes they provide feedback. I love feedback, it's what keeps me going. So I am not really doing this to create hype for the eventual release. I suppose I have no confidence a project like this could generate hype in the first place.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Happy Saturday! Thanks to Weltall Zero and Lautar0 for the help this week around my movement system/issues!

Happy with the results so far — just starting to learn this package called cinemachine and it's pretty damn great! I don't really know how it works, but I'm hoping it can handle multiplayer and a camera per person

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Unfortunately animation is one of those things that takes a lot of time and study to get looking even half decent. The bright side however, is that animation's key principals apply across the board, regardless of medium/software. I'd suggest starting with the 12 principles (something like this is probably a fair introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4), and then move on to something more specific, so in your case a Blender animation beginners tutorial.

The key thing is to not expect your first animations to look great, don't get disheartened if it takes a few goes before you get something to look half way believable!
I had already seen that video and read about the principles of animation, I was looking for something more practical. But I realize that it's just going to be a time sink. I don't want to spend months on animation for a small project lol. I did some tests and the MakeHuman rig can be retargeted to the UE4 Skeleton pretty much perfectly, so I think I'm just going to go with the Mixamo + Free animations from Unreal route, at least for the major stuff like run cycles and such.

On another note, anyone has experience with top down style cameras? I'm wondering how to handle character entering buildings with roofs and multiple floors.
I'm pretty sure that I'll have to have the walls and the roofs to be two separate meshes (different actors), or at least have a different material on which I can toggle visibilty (I think I can do that in UE4).
Then to trigger the visibility, the first solution I thought about was placing trigger volumes around each floor or enterable building and then switch the visibility when the characters touches them. I did a quick google search and someone suggested just tracing a ray from the character to the camera and hide anything that the ray hits. It seems like a faster and less tedious solution.

Any ideas or suggestions?

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
Spent this weekend taking a break from coding and working on some concept art for my WW1 survival horror game Conscript . it's the first time I have ever attempted something like this. What do you guys think? There was no plan for it, I just randomly started messing around in a photoshop document and ended up creating this.
VdHxku2.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like the perspective is whack but i don't know shit about relative height of WW1 trenches and maybe the unsettling vibe is something you're going for

I was doing some coding while half asleep last night and I realised making a draggable object is something i dont know how to do so i guess im working on that even though i dont know if that will end up in the final product. probably worth knowing how to do it anyway

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Spent this weekend taking a break from coding and working on some concept art for my WW1 survival horror game Conscript . it's the first time I have ever attempted something like this. What do you guys think? There was no plan for it, I just randomly started messing around in a photoshop document and ended up creating this.
VdHxku2.jpg

It immediately reminded me of your game so it definitely has some synergy to it. The emotions also come across very strongly. Tracks in the mud as if he had to drag himself there, the gun on the ground, and the slumped posture do a good job expressing he's potentially near his final moments. The gas in the door on the left and the clouds on the horizon also do a great job of showing impending doom.

My only non nit picky critique would be the wood behind his back. I can't tell if it's supposed to be lots of bamboo like branches or wide planks of wood. The wood around the opening on the left looks a lot better and feels like a better fit for a trench. The contrast between the person and the wood is nice though.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
omg. i just figured out a ds_grid thing by myself (kind of, I used it to replace a ds_list solution because I needed to do something with it)

i feel like a genius omg

funkygallo

Oct 27, 2017
Two levels are missing to finish the game .

Then I just have to create the company ... and then taxes :(

funkygallo

Oct 27, 2017
hey boys and girls
Some advice on what book to take for the Unreal Blueprint

I found this:
Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine: The faster way to build games using UE4 Blueprints, 2nd Edition

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up but fanatical is doin a bunch of bundle blowouts and they have some.ridiculous ones for blender, unity and unreal book bundles.

I'm talking bundles of around $600 worth of books for like $5-$9
I loaded up. Take a look. Lotta good shit in there.

Fanatical

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Haven't made much progress in my game lately, but I did make a Twitter account for it so I can post updates there instead of my personal account:

(How the heck did I get 16 likes on my first post? I'm honestly surprised =P)

Also, here's a quick video showing some small improvements since last time, mostly dialogue stuff (Text skipping + new arrow when a sentence is finished, text doesn't jump between lines anymore). There are also some very WIP new rooms:

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I tried to participate in my first game jam this past week (Brackey's game jam). Unfortunately I just wasn't able to get the game done as I had hoped but I did learn and experiment with as much as I could.

I ended up learning a bit about particle systems, implementing cinemachine, and experimented a lot with movement but I'm still having a tough time with that.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got myself a Mac! I can now develop and publish my games on the App Store!

I recently also updated the main game on Android, Kindle Fire & Windows Store. Includes bunch of brand new bonus levels. Seems like people are enjoying them. Makes me happy.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I need to start building a community for my game even though I'm not ready to show off gameplay. How does this sound without any pictures or videos to go with it?

1,000,000 square kilometers to conquer.

The Forged Kingdoms is a next gen RPG where actions have consequences. From massive empires to individual blades of grass, every single element of the world is a product of your choices.
  • Over 1 million square kilometers to explore, one of the largest game maps ever.
  • Set in a medieval fantasy world with knights, dragons, hints of magic, and darker secrets hidden underground.
  • Every location is explorable, including the detailed interiors of castles and the bottom of ocean trenches. Every door is a real door that can be opened through force or with the right key.
  • Start off alone in the world with all your possessions carried on your back. Gain companions to help carry the load and found settlements to support your adventures. Every single NPC has the potential to become your alley.
  • Every single NPC also has the potential to become your enemy. Theft can be taken personally and murder can drive family members to seek revenge. Others may despise you for political, moral, or social reasons.
  • The world is not frozen in time. Trees grow, seasons change, and characters die. Your death is inevitable, although there are rumors of immortality...

I've set up both a discord channel and a subreddit so hopefully one of them can gain some traction.

Mabec

Oct 27, 2017
Hey sabrina, thanks for including my project. Not dead yet, moving forward, just at a speed I didnt prefer :)

Last edited:
Winging it, really. My primary aim is to get people to download and play my demo in hopes they provide feedback. I love feedback, it's what keeps me going. So I am not really doing this to create hype for the eventual release. I suppose I have no confidence a project like this could generate hype in the first place.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword that. :) You'll need to hype it (at least a little) to get more eyes/the feedback you want. Forgive me if I missed it, but is the Twitter account your only channel right now? And, be more confident! It looks good! You will find plenty of people interested in something like this.

I need to start building a community for my game even though I'm not ready to show off gameplay. How does this sound without any pictures or videos to go with it?

The Forged Kingdoms is a next gen RPG where actions have consequences. From massive empires to individual blades of grass, every single element of the world is a product of your choices.
  • Over 1 million square kilometers to explore, one of the largest game maps ever.
  • Set in a medieval fantasy world with knights, dragons, hints of magic, and darker secrets hidden underground.
  • Every location is explorable, including the detailed interiors of castles and the bottom of ocean trenches. Every door is a real door that can be opened through force or with the right key.
  • Start off alone in the world with all your possessions carried on your back. Gain companions to help carry the load and found settlements to support your adventures. Every single NPC has the potential to become your alley.
  • Every single NPC also has the potential to become your enemy. Theft can be taken personally and murder can drive family members to seek revenge. Others may despise you for political, moral, or social reasons.
  • The world is not frozen in time. Trees grow, seasons change, and characters die. Your death is inevitable, although there are rumors of immortality...

I've set up both a discord channel and a subreddit so hopefully one of them can gain some traction.

I like all your details, but where will this information be posted? I think for a first/initial promo post for your game you should tighten/shorten up your points (as people are notorious for skipping over long text) for the initial post, then dole out extended details to highlight each of these sections later. It'll give you more material to work with for more future posts and hold more people's attention at the outset. The full detailed breakdown can be posted on your game hub (wherever that will be).

Ex.

• 1 million+ square kilometers to explore
  • Medieval fantasy world rife with dark secrets lurking just beneath the surface
  • Fully explorable from ancient castle battlements to Cimmerian ocean trenches
  • Every NPC has the potential to become a bosom friend...or a deadly foe
  • Dynamic world with seasons, growth, and even death

Just riffing here (and I haven't gotten to use Cimmercian in ages), but you get the idea. If you want to build up a community, you'll need steady updates and this'll give you more fodder to expand on later instead of showing all your cards now.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb gamemaker question. Are child objects recognised as a subset of game objects if the parent object is targeted by code?

Say I have a parent object, obj_tile, and a child object of that, obj_tile_kid.

If I instance_nearest(x,y,obj_tile), will whatever object is running that code recognise instances of obj_tile_kid as instances of obj_tile?

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A fellow RPG maker! Followed you on Twitter, your game looks great!
Thank you! I've put a lot of love and care into making Ephemeral Tale into a fun game, and I'm fairly confident that it's not only fun, but that there's nothing else like it!

RPG makers, you say? Here's mine that I've been developing with a friend for some years now. Latest thing to show off is this battleback animation effect:

Displacement maps are the best, fam. Love em. :whew:

Dumb gamemaker question. Are child objects recognised as a subset of game objects if the parent object is targeted by code?

Say I have a parent object, obj_tile, and a child object of that, obj_tile_kid.

If I instance_nearest(x,y,obj_tile), will whatever object is running that code recognise instances of obj_tile_kid as instances of obj_tile?
My memory might be failing me, but I'm pretty sure, yes. Granted, I'm used to UE4, so maybe it isn't the exact same system. But in UE4, a child would always be recognized if you made a cast to the parent object, so if you wanted specifically that child (for example, all enemies would be NPC_Enemy_obj, but not all NPC_Enemy_obj are Enemy_LizardGuy_obj), you had to cast to that instead.

Been working tirelessly on a content update for Ephemeral Tale:

New zone, new enemies, new bosses, new items... and hopefully once it's out I'll be able to sleep at night again!

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
twitter.com

LoganBerry Shuffle on Twitter

“Uploaded a vertical video last time like some sort of criminal... still off screen footage so... criminality remains? https://t.co/7gh2GED0qf”

still working on my main character's rig but decided to do this real quick justfor funsies...

The game itself is going to be a full on 3d action/platformer, kinda throwback to mario/banjo era with hub or overworld and stages etc etc.

Basically, these technologically advanced aliens move in and start stealing all the resources from your planet and you are recollecting them as you go.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
I like all your details, but where will this information be posted? I think for a first/initial promo post for your game you should tighten/shorten up your points (as people are notorious for skipping over long text) for the initial post, then dole out extended details to highlight each of these sections later. It'll give you more material to work with for more future posts and hold more people's attention at the outset. The full detailed breakdown can be posted on your game hub (wherever that will be).

Ex.

• 1 million+ square kilometers to explore
  • Medieval fantasy world rife with dark secrets lurking just beneath the surface
  • Fully explorable from ancient castle battlements to Cimmerian ocean trenches
  • Every NPC has the potential to become a bosom friend...or a deadly foe
  • Dynamic world with seasons, growth, and even death

Just riffing here (and I haven't gotten to use Cimmercian in ages), but you get the idea. If you want to build up a community, you'll need steady updates and this'll give you more fodder to expand on later instead of showing all your cards now.

Thanks for the edits and feedback! This would be a quick overview for the presskit, subreddit, and discord if I could figure discord out. The website is way less dependent on text.

An issue I'm sure you noticed is that I get pretty wordy when trying to highlight the unique tech in the game. A gif like the placeholder one on the website is great at selling the game's scale while a million square kilometers lacks impact imo. I'll be sure to use Cimmerian, it's great!

Not too worried about showing all my cards now since in many ways I'm attempting to make the Star Citizen of medieval fantasy games. There is a lot of stuff to share as it's developed.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I like to throw together these trailers every few months. I often find that when deep into dev, I tend to forget how much work has been done, so working on these both serve as nice mile marker, but also give me some perspective, which can help with self motivation!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry guys, I've been a bit MIA in the thread, as I was feverishly working on getting my trailer, Steam and Humble Store pages ready. I'm pretty happy about how the trailer turned out!

This is as good a time as any to announce Divinoids is going to be a Humble Original, free for any Humble subscribers! It will also release on Steam and Humble Store later, and I'll do my damnedest to get it on Switch, which was my primary target. Anyway, shameless store plugs:

www.humblebundle.com

Buy Divinoids from the Humble Store

Choose from a selection of Divinoids, mechanical shapeshifting gods and mythical creatures, and conquer everything in your path. Retro arcade look and feel, with modern gameplay sensibilities. Quickly shapeshift between god and beast form, doubling your attack and mobility options. Simultaneous...

Please don't hesitate to ask me any and all questions you may have, either from the game or dev side of things; I've learnt quite a bit and would love to help anyone just starting out.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm resuming (restarting) Thieves in the Night and renaming it to Oxi. I'm part way through modeling the protagonist, Ice Pick.

My next task is to fix up her hair geometry and write a anime-style anisotropic hair shader for it. Then working on her combat outfit.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys, I've been a bit MIA in the thread, as I was feverishly working on getting my trailer, Steam and Humble Store pages ready. I'm pretty happy about how the trailer turned out!

This is as good a time as any to announce Divinoids is going to be a Humble Original, free for any Humble subscribers! It will also release on Steam and Humble Store later, and I'll do my damnedest to get it on Switch, which was my primary target. Anyway, shameless store plugs:

www.humblebundle.com

Buy Divinoids from the Humble Store

Choose from a selection of Divinoids, mechanical shapeshifting gods and mythical creatures, and conquer everything in your path. Retro arcade look and feel, with modern gameplay sensibilities. Quickly shapeshift between god and beast form, doubling your attack and mobility options. Simultaneous...

Please don't hesitate to ask me any and all questions you may have, either from the game or dev side of things; I've learnt quite a bit and would love to help anyone just starting out.

That's a cool concept cutting back to the game name every few seconds, but it felt like a low part of the trailer in my opinion. The rest of the trailer was action packed while spelling out the title was a bit confusing and disorienting. I liked it as an effect overall though since it did a good job pacing the trailer.

I really loved the Rampage vibes! How long did it take you to make all of the pixel art?

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That's a cool concept cutting back to the game name every few seconds, but it felt like a low part of the trailer in my opinion. The rest of the trailer was action packed while spelling out the title was a bit confusing and disorienting. I liked it as an affect overall though since it did a good job pacing the trailer.

Yeah, I like how it adds some lulls in the action to make the latter more impacting, while at the same time builds up towards spelling the whole title.

I really loved the Rampage vibes!

Thanks! I'm surprised (and glad) that Rampage still comes through as the inspiration in the trailer, hahah! It didn't end up having all that much climbing, and only Ogmios climbs in a Rampage-like way, so the game looks much less Rampage to me now, compared to how it was at the start, where you only had buildings as things to destroy and Ogmios was the only Divinoid.

How long did it take you to make all of the pixel art?

All the time. All of it. :D

Oh wait, Steam actually tracks usage time of Aseprite. It's 1790 hours according to it; probably a bit higher overall since I used the free version of Aseprite at the start, but yeah, that about checks out.
steamcommunity.com

Steam Community :: WeltallZero

No information given.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Apple Developer program sure is strict.. Had to wait a few days to activate Two-Factor authentication and now for setting up a company profile, takes a lot of information. Which is funny cause Google, Amazon & Microsoft were like "Want to join? click here. You now fully in and accepted!" lol. Might have to wait an extra few weeks cause now needs to verify my company's LCC info with an D-U-N-S Number.

I could just sign up as a Individual, but then it would only show my games under my actual name, which I don't want. Oh well, make sense it's so secure.

Edit: Got approved, apparently can use it in 7 days. So next week it is!

In mean time, maybe I'll check out how it plays on Xbox (seems like the process to Xbox is the same for Microsoft Store, heck I had to "uncheck" the Xbox mark lol). Maybe Steam release?

Last edited:

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
A lot of people have asked us how we implemented the edge detection and shadow effects in Lightmatter, so our shader programmer Benjamin recently wrote a technical blog post outlining how he achieved the look :)

www.gamasutra.com

Programming visual effects for Lightmatter

The development process behind the visual effects in Lightmatter.

lightmatter_1-2.gif

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to turning my Xbox One S console into Dev Mode. And after a little bit of set up, I pushed my game to it. And it works! I'm honestly surprised that it was 100% playable without any code modifications. Was really happy about this.

There are a few minor things I need to change/fix. Like all the Sound Effects don't work (.ogg files), replace the "Touch" with different word and replace the Mouse Icon with something different.

One kinda moderate problem still exists of course: This is a Physics Puzzle game meant for touch reflexes. Most of the game will work fine, but there are some levels that would be too had to quickly hit new blocks to destroy them. So, I came up with a clever solution. Chaining. Being able to pre-select certain blocks to be destroyed (with like X) and chain them up so that they can be destroyed at any time in order (1 at a time) with a separate button (like Y). I'll have to implement this, but could be a good alternative replacement. We will see.

ESJU_RxWAAkeaXt

ESJWWc0XkAEbROS

It's funny to go from Wii U to Android -> Kindle Fire -> Microsoft Store and now to Xbox. (iPhone too of course).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Off-topic, but is there a thread for Board / Tabletop Game designers?

I'm searching but can't find anything.

I just searched (via google, which is often much more reliable than Resetera's own search) and found nothing, either. I'm guessing it's a bit too tangential for a mostly videogames-based board to have a large enough community. I'm thinking your options are:
- Post about your game in the general gaming board OT. You might want to check with a mod first to see if it would be OK, or considered self-promotion.
- Make the board game design OT yourself. If you do this, promote it in the main board game OT (emphasize you want fans of board games there too, not just designers), but brace for the possibility that it's eventually just you in there.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if it's more of a knowledge sharing/questions thing, I bet a lot of subjects would fit here regardless. Some of the interface issues don't translate, but platforms differ with that anyway...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey, if it's more of a knowledge sharing/questions thing, I bet a lot of subjects would fit here regardless. Some of the interface issues don't translate, but platforms differ with that anyway...

That's an excellent good point; after all, gameplay is gameplay. Sorry for not thinking of that as a legitimate third option; I was not implying it would not be perfectly fine, just didn't even occur to me. :/

Sep 14, 2019
I just searched (via google, which is often much more reliable than Resetera's own search) and found nothing, either. I'm guessing it's a bit too tangential for a mostly videogames-based board to have a large enough community. I'm thinking your options are:
- Post about your game in the general gaming board OT. You might want to check with a mod first to see if it would be OK, or considered self-promotion.
- Make the board game design OT yourself. If you do this, promote it in the main board game OT (emphasize you want fans of board games there too, not just designers), but brace for the possibility that it's eventually just you in there.

Awesome, I'll think it over.

Thanks!

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019

Hey friends! Does anyone have experience with Artell's Auto Rig Pro -- or maybe this is more of an issue with just rigging in general. I'm trying to setup inverse kinematics on my character. As you can see from the gif, the shoulder isn't really following the hand as well as much as I think it's supposed to. And then the hand doesn't point in the same direction as to where I move the box.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. First time rigging here

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure about that program specifically, so I can't be much help there; however the issue with the shoulder appears to be a weighting problem. Is there a way to either tweak envelopes or paint the weights manually? Effectively what's happening is your bones aren't influencing the vertices correctly, painting the weights manually would allow you to tweak which bones influence each vertex until you get a shoulder movement that looks more natural.

I've been working on this light "ai" co-op area this week, basically just an excuse to amuse myself with animation that somewhat emulates those classic tank controls.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awesome, I'll think it over.

Thanks!

As personal advice... try not to think it over too much, you may end up not posting about it at all! It took me nearly a year until I gathered the courage to post in the indie dev thread for the first time.

Why don't you start by posting about it here? I think it's a good idea and people would love to see what you have and comment on it. Then from there you can decide whether to post in the board game OT or make a new board game dev OT. Sounds good?

I'm not sure about that program specifically, so I can't be much help there; however the issue with the shoulder appears to be a weighting problem. Is there a way to either tweak envelopes or paint the weights manually? Effectively what's happening is your bones aren't influencing the vertices correctly, painting the weights manually would allow you to tweak which bones influence each vertex until you get a shoulder movement that looks more natural.

I've been working on this light "ai" co-op area this week, basically just an excuse to amuse myself with animation that somewhat emulates those classic tank controls.

Not something particular to this video, but your game never ceases to shock me. It looks like it was made by a 20+ person studio working in an office, not a single person. Major kudos and hats off!

On the video itself, all of your animations are 10/10, but in particular Laura's little trotting animation is so delightfully whimsical it puts a huge grin on my face. :) That said, the main characters' turning animations are also particularly amazing, conveying the perfect amount of inertia without being sluggish. Many, many games, including non-indie ones, stumble on this hard (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.