• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Depends what kind of feedback you're after.

I'm sure everyone here has different experiences with testing, but I find friends tend to give gameplay feedback and strangers report more technical and QoL issues.

I don't usually have strangers play my games until quite late in development.
I think if I were to make it into a complete experience, I need an audience who'd be interested in seing a full game based on the systems in the demo, and probably some form of financial support through either a Patreon or Kickstarter. I'm mostly looking for technical feedback.
If you can manage it, Patreon is the option that works really nicely. I get good amounts of feedback there, and a monthly demo serves as a "reward" people seem to be cool with (thought I appreciate I'm in a very fortunate position here).

Aside from that contacting streamers who play similar games can be very helpful, watching them and their audience react to things live is second to none in terms of feedback value; it's about as close as you can get to being a fly on the wall!
Patreon seems like a good option, in my current phase. I'm not sure the game would really cater to the streamer/stream watcher scene.

Do people in this thread ask others to play their game?

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Wait H.Protagonist you're making a game? I missed this, what is it?

scrolling up, scrolling up

(to answer your question [uselessly] my Budget is 0€ in salary for a team of 1 and whatever software I can afford to use and learn by myself in addition)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

(to answer your question [uselessly] my Budget is 0€ in salary for a team of 1 and whatever software I can afford to use and learn by myself in addition)

Their game is the point and click one in a library:
www.resetera.com

Hobby and Indie Game Dev |OT 2020| Discussion, Help and Show-off OT

Thanks, Hanuli! For the project, it's super basic. Just a concept test, really, but I'll need pixel art and some basic programming done, so I'm trying to set the budget. It's a simple, 2-D pixel, point and click game with only 3 'rooms' that are just one area (a library). 1 - [left side of...

Life hack: I am super, super forgetful, so the "who replied?" function is a lifesaver for me. It's on the "..." to the right of Unwatch; you just type the name of a poster, and it gives you a link with all their posts in a thread. :)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Been a while since I've posted anything substantial here so here goes...

Finished up Punchline in December, took a break. Decided to properly learn Unity in January after dabbling in it over the years, didn't really enjoy it (mainly because the 2D sucks so much compared to GameMaker which is what I used to make Punchline).

Starting to learn Godot, it's honestly really fun. Liking it a lot more than GameMaker. 2D is solid which is important as I'll be working in pixel art again for gaem 2.

Also gotten started on defining a visual look for my next game and the workflow for these backgrounds. I got both of these done within 6 hours. There's definitely a good base there, especially for someone like me who isn't really an artist. Nothing's final atm, but I like the look of it :)

Workflow goes like this:

3D blockout in Blender + fSpy - > render using Freestyle - > clean-up, refinement and everything else in PS

jcuDaie.png

Qgun9uQ.png

6pmQdLm.png

2f2ovfD.png

The first image was inspired by the entrance to Durham Castle.

3725166272_de5d338be0_b.jpg

Bit of a UI mockup too (without the portraits since I haven't got any yet ;^))

KMLSR6H.png

kf158Nd.png

0yOwjjF.png

As fun as Godot is, I want to spend a good amount of time planning this game before jumping head first into the engine stuff. So nailing down the concept, design, character sheets etc etc. Didn't really do this with my previous project which is why I want to take it slow this time 'round. I'm currently commissioning an artist on a few character ref sheets so I hope to show 'em off to you all soon.

Last edited:
Secretly I was afraid I was selling every artist on the planet short with the 300$ figure, but I'm glad that worked out.
My budget has been something like this:
3000$ for the background artist (about 250$ every month since we started. Last piece is due next month)
850$ for the composer
100$ steam fee
50$ logo design

I kinda got carried away with commissioning art from the bg artist. I honestly no longer expect to break even with Vengeful Heart, but at least all that amazing art exists in the world, right? :')

VH will cost 10 dollars. With steam + taxes taking about 50% and my partner gets 50% of the profits I get 2.50$ per sale at full price. We need to sell 1600 units at full price for me to break even. (At least I get the steam fee back after we sell 1000$ worth VH)

My hope is that VH will net us some fans that will look forward to our next work and with sales becomes profitable at some point. In the end making money isn't why I want to make games. I make more than enough money at my day job. But eventually it would be nice to retire from my day job so I could dedicate more time on making games.

Thanks, H! It's really neat to see to the breakdown! Art definitely seems to be the big $$ item for most (I imagine that's because most people handle the other big component--programming--themselves). Considering the overall quality I've seen, though, it seems like money well spent. Very eye-catching and attractive. It sets the world tone and gives you plenty to work with for marketing materials. :)

For the composer, is the cost there for multiple songs? I'll only have the one BGM, and it's more ambient sound w/ a beat than a song, but he's thinking a 1 minute loop, with 4 subtle variations of that, chained together as a 5 minute loop, so there's some real thought in it. If it comes out well, it's definitely money well spent, but I had originally just set my overall limit as $500 for art/music/incidentals since it's a hobby (not commercial) project. I may have to rethink that now after seeing the quote and needing (wanting) a few more things like an animated fireplace, candles, start screen art, etc. And after seeing what other people are putting towards their projects... ^_^;

For your break even point, 1600 units (or the $ equivalent of) on Steam seems doable. It's a pretty populated field, but of late I feel like I see VNs talked about more than other genres, and the price point seems attractive. Might take a few Steam sales to get over the line, but I'm sure you can do it. :D

Haha. A very modest budget, indeed! I'm jealous that you have such a wide range of skills. I have to rely on more talented people than myself for almost everything. I'm excited to pull the pieces together, though.

For my game, as Weltall Zero pulled up (thank you~), I'm going for a simple point-and-click that consists of only 3 rooms.

d0u28qJ.jpg

^Just LOOK at this sexy notebook doodle. AAA material, amirite? :D

Since writing is my 'talent' in this field, the game is entirely built on using incidental text, dialogue, and books as a narrative device. That's pretty much it. I figure that if I can tell a tight, compelling story on a small scale, then maybe I can shop it around as proof of concept for a bigger version that I have in mind. Either way, it's a fun creative project and I've always wanted to make a game. Seems like a good test.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
on the basis that i never finish anything i'm thinking of learning to make a menu based game because im an idiot

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Haha. A very modest budget, indeed! I'm jealous that you have such a wide range of skills. I have to rely on more talented people than myself for almost everything. I'm excited to pull the pieces together, though.

For my game, as @Weltall Zero pulled up (thank you~), I'm going for a simple point-and-click that consists of only 3 rooms.

d0u28qJ.jpg

^Just LOOK at this sexy notebook doodle. AAA material, amirite? :D

Since writing is my 'talent' in this field, the game is entirely built on using incidental text, dialogue, and books as a narrative device. That's pretty much it. I figure that if I can tell a tight, compelling story on a small scale, then maybe I can shop it around as proof of concept for a bigger version that I have in mind. Either way, it's a fun creative project and I've always wanted to make a game. Seems like a good test.
Weil, for one you're way smarter than I am, your scope is way more feasible than mine.
And your skill in the end is probably way more useful than what little I'm able of drawing and using visionaire, writing is so hard and I'm writing myself into corners and logic errors all the time lol.

Can't wait to see more of it, the concept and pixel art style both seem great :D

Edit: Seeing you've been looking for a coder regarding quite basic point'n click stuff - do yourself a favor and look into Visionaire. I never did a proper line of programming on my own in my entire life, and even I can get some impressive gameplay results out of it, on top of that it has a super helpful community when it comes to adding scripts and neat tricks. You might be way better off taking a day or two to go through some tutorials (and of course, I may be able to help with minor stuff as well) than to pump tons of money into a coder that will need to be with the game to the end of time. You can even do as much as you want with it for free (except for exporting a game, you'll need a license for that).

double edit: Of course, if you already have a great partnership going, I really don't wanna jump on that :D So please, only take the post as a general idea.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Budget for our recently released game was:
- around 2000€ in dev kits
- around 100€ for software used on the games
- no salary for the three people who worked on the game itself and equally no salary for the two people who made music for the game

It is the second of three games we are going to release for the platforms (PC, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS) and so far we have earned around 400€ on the second game and around 1000€ on the first game.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Weil, for one you're way smarter than I am, your scope is way more feasible than mine.
And your skill in the end is probably way more useful than what little I'm able of drawing and using visionaire, writing is so hard and I'm writing myself into corners and logic errors all the time lol.

Can't wait to see more of it, the concept and pixel art style both seem great :D

Edit: Seeing you've been looking for a coder regarding quite basic point'n click stuff - do yourself a favor and look into Visionaire. I never did a proper line of programming on my own in my entire life, and even I can get some impressive gameplay results out of it, on top of that it has a super helpful community when it comes to adding scripts and neat tricks. You might be way better off taking a day or two to go through some tutorials (and of course, I may be able to help with minor stuff as well) than to pump tons of money into a coder that will need to be with the game to the end of time. You can even do as much as you want with it for free (except for exporting a game, you'll need a license for that).

double edit: Of course, if you already have a great partnership going, I really don't wanna jump on that :D So please, only take the post as a general idea.

Me and H.Protagonist made a deal that I would code her demo and she would edit my script :) Talent swaps rule!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just some general thoughts on hiring for gamedev since I see the topic came up -- I have a little experience hiring people for some gamedev jobs. I do most of it on my own, though, which keeps me really flexible since I can do most tasks (as they pertain to my project). I have done a little art hiring as well as all sorts of audio/vo hiring.

Anyway, good artists tend to charge $30/hour or more ($30 would be on the low end, really, I've been quoted $60+) and good art takes a lot of hours to make, so... yeah. Art is an enormous expense if you need to hire people for it. Thankfully this is my primary discipline so I've not ever been forced to hire artists.

As for hiring composers I think it seems fairly ordinary to pay per minute of music composed, which can vary quite a bit based on the experience and demand of the composer. It could be $50 per minute or it could be $500 per minute.

In general it just depends on what you're making and who you're making it with.. If you want to make something really professional and you want to hire people with real experience, it's going to cost a lot of money. If you have friends who are willing to work for back end or otherwise on a more casual basis... Well, good luck. It *could* work, I guess!

If you don't have a big budget to work with I recommend learning how to do as many things as possible on your own. That's just a random thought, I guess, I know not everyone has the time for that. Gamedev is a complicated profession.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Just some general thoughts on hiring for gamedev since I see the topic came up -- I have a little experience hiring people for some gamedev jobs. I do most of it on my own, though, which keeps me really flexible since I can do most tasks (as they pertain to my project). I have done a little art hiring as well as all sorts of audio/vo hiring.

Anyway, good artists tend to charge $30/hour or more ($30 would be on the low end, really, I've been quoted $60+) and good art takes a lot of hours to make, so... yeah. Art is an enormous expense if you need to hire people for it. Thankfully this is my primary discipline so I've not ever been forced to hire artists.

As for hiring composers I think it seems fairly ordinary to pay per minute of music composed, which can vary quite a bit based on the experience and demand of the composer. It could be $50 per minute or it could be $500 per minute.

In general it just depends on what you're making and who you're making it with.. If you want to make something really professional and you want to hire people with real experience, it's going to cost a lot of money. If you have friends who are willing to work for back end or otherwise on a more casual basis... Well, good luck. It *could* work, I guess!

If you don't have a big budget to work with I recommend learning how to do as many things as possible on your own. That's just a random thought, I guess, I know not everyone has the time for that. Gamedev is a complicated profession.
I think with increasing creative demands this gets increasingly unrealistic. So learning to program is pretty realistic, learning to draw in a limited scope as well, but learning to compose if you are not artistically inclined is probably pretty hopeless.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think with increasing creative demands this gets increasingly unrealistic. So learning to program is pretty realistic, learning to draw in a limited scope as well, but learning to compose if you are not artistically inclined is probably pretty hopeless.
Hard disagree, if you would have heard my first days with magix music maker and comparing that to what I'm doing (self-learned) with FL studio now, I've come to the opinion that you can learn absolutely everything if you're interested in it enough.

I'm still far from being technically good at it, but every single improvement comes from doing things, learning from doing them wrong and trying to improve. Making music isn't that different from making pictures, creatively and technically.

Speaking of, if someone is in need of music and not too picky, let me know :D I like the sharing Idea.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Hard disagree, if you would have heard my first days with magix music maker and comparing that to what I'm doing (self-learned) with FL studio now, I've come to the opinion that you can learn absolutely everything if you're interested in it enough.

I'm still far from being technically good at it, but every single improvement comes from doing things, learning from doing them wrong and trying to improve. Making music isn't that different from making pictures, creatively and technically.

Speaking of, if someone is in need of music and not too picky, let me know :D I like the sharing Idea.
Well you are an artist in the first place ;). In contrast to programming, for music, you do not only need to be well-versed in the craft to do sufficiently good work, you also need to have artistic inspiration and direction. I am pretty sure I could put thousands of hours into learning every bit about music composing software and I would still not make a single tune anyone, including me, would ever want to hear.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Edit: Seeing you've been looking for a coder regarding quite basic point'n click stuff - do yourself a favor and look into Visionaire. I never did a proper line of programming on my own in my entire life, and even I can get some impressive gameplay results out of it
Looking at this rn, looks really interesting actually.

Probably not gonna jump on it myself but it's cool to know that there's a dedicated engine to get these kind of adventure games up and running quickly.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Looking at this rn, looks really interesting actually.

Probably not gonna jump on it myself but it's cool to know that there's a dedicated engine to get these kind of adventure games up and running quickly.
I can nothing but recommend it :)

Especially for pixel art resolutions, another alternative (free!) might also be Adventure Game Studio. But you'll need at least a bit more coding for it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well you are an artist in the first place ;). In contrast to programming, for music, you do not only need to be well-versed in the craft to do sufficiently good work, you also need to have artistic inspiration and direction. I am pretty sure I could put thousands of hours into learning every bit about music composing software and I would still not make a single tune anyone, including me, would ever want to hear.

I get what Bufbaf is saying, though. A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but now I'm not so sure about that. I used to think creativity was a fixed stat that you got at birth; that some people are just naturally creative and others (like me) just aren't. But making a game made me realize that's not quite true, and it's more like a muscle. And sure, much like that metaphor, at my ripe age it's hard for me to get it to the point that I can make anything terribly impressive, but it's made me think that perhaps anyone is capable of undertaking any type of creative process in at least a competent and entirely functional quality if they put in enough time and dedication.

Whether that's a reasonable (or even at all viable) use of one's time is an entirely different matter, of course. If you work a full time job that pays well, and make games on the side, it probably makes more sense to hire people to do these things rather than undertaking the monumental time expenditure in learning, then creating, each part of your game. If you're young, perhaps unemployed, and considering pursing a career in the field, it probably makes a lot of sense to devote your time to learning, which is so satisfying on its own.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Everyone's an artist, most just chose to stop being one when they get past 14 or so, after scribbling in school, doing drum beats with their fingers or imagining awesome stories for their toys :D That doesn't mean one can pick up from there again. I mean I'm 40 now, so I don't take age as an excuse ^^

Honestly, I feel like a LOT of creativity and art skills in any direction can be learned by doing something, drawing a stick figure or making a short melody, writing up a tiny story or figuring out a level, then looking at it and finding one thing that might be better, then doing that and looking at it again, and so on. I can 100% assuredly tell you that I will despise a _lot_ of things that are now my personal peak artistry after, like, 5 or 6 things I will do after that. Which is learning, too, I guess.

Kazooie's Regina&Mac's game worlds have TONS of creativity in them of which I'm equally jealous. There's ideas I wouldn't even be able to come up with at this point. Weltall Zero's Divinoids has - even on gifs - a great game-feel, very cool pixel art and really cool designs which, again, I probably wouldn't have been able to do. I don't think there's "uncreative" people, really, just people who don't think of themselves as being overly creative. And I can assure you that tons of people who advertise themselves as being "creative" would probably answer differently when being asked while wearing the Lasso of Truth.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Music, like painting or cinematography, has a defined set of rules you have to follow. Some people, for whatever reason, may find these rules are obvious and innately apply them (Michael Jackson had no music studies and had a weird way of composing his themes by hummiing the different parts). But that doesn´t mean that the rest can´t learn them too, just like you can learn programming, game design, how to ride a bike or anything else. The quality of the result will then depend on the quality of your learning and on how much you exercise that knowledge so that it becomes part of you and you can even start to bend and break those rules knowingly (it´s said that 10000 hours aree required to become an expert in a field). What you can´t expet is to learn how to use a software tool and expect the results to be amazing, that´s just a tool.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Interesting perspectives from Bufbaf Weltall Zero and correojon indeed. Maybe my perception is coloured by the fact that my muscial education was very analytically and reproductively oriented, whereas the drawing education was more active, so while I am bad at both, I could at least imagine what I would like to draw, but wouldn't have a clue as to what to compose. Interestingly I found that level design (as I do it) can be approached with a similar kind of creativity as mathematics / computer science (which is my profession), which I feel is distinct from the sort of creative thinking about art or music. The difference being thinking about what I want something to function as rather than what aesthetics it should carry.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall Zero's Divinoids has - even on gifs - a great game-feel, very cool pixel art and really cool designs which, again, I probably wouldn't have been able to do.

Normally I don't try to point out when people are clearly overestimating my work because it (understably, if paradoxically) lends to further compliments, but seriously... my designs are mostly just boxes, while yours are, like, actual, literal art.

And I'm being literal here; I do mean boxes. Robots are so much easier to both design and animate than people; I would have never dared make a game where I had to design and animate people. This is Ogmios broken down to his boxy parts:
st3O1Jd.gif

What little there is inthe game that isn't just boxes, I pretty much ripped from either mecha anime or depictions of gods / monsters. Ogmios above is ripped straight from also lion-head-chested GaoGaiGar, with the robot's "tiara" and jewel being particularly blatant:

810907.jpg

His arms and legs are inspired rather by Mazinger, simply because there's no way in hell I can draw or animate something as comples as GGG's limbs:

376779c5520981ef3a29e650e8c070609030a52fr1-1080-1092v2_128.jpg

I think one of the reasons that we hold other's works in higher regard than our own is that we don't see the others' influences as crystal clearly as we see our own. When we look at our work, we see not just the strings and moving parts, but the specific bits we cobbled it together from.

dannymate

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to finish up the backend to my game and show off a proper demo of it but I'm taking a small break from programming and felt like writing so here's a little taster. So quick refresher VR game where you work at a Till in a supermarket and deal with customers using INK as a base for the dialogue.

Here's what I wanted: A way for a writer to control the game using their own majorly simplified markup to be used alongside text. It should be easily extendable as well as reusable. For example if they wanted to create a scenario where a child is left alone and waiting for their mother to come back they'd need to:
  • Pass speech to both the mum and child
  • Get certain variables maybe the mother will need the childs name
  • Manipulate the AI (Tell child to stay and mother to move to child)
  • Do these things at specific events
  • Models, Names, etc.
There's a few other expermental features that should be easy to implement like creating their own callbacks to trigger other text but this is all a big WIP.

Code:
=== State_Change(State, SubState) ===
#Knot_Delay: Instant
{
    - State == "Shopping" && SubState == "Shop":
        -> On_Shopping_State
    - State == "SERVING":
    {
        - SubState == "To_ServingWindow" :
            Visible2 :: DIRECT_PositionMember(ServingPositioningKey,STEVEO,{GROUP_GET("Till_Name", "")}.Entourage Area 3)
            -> DONE
        - SubState == "At_ServingWindow":
            It is day {GLOBAL_GET("Global_Day", "")}
            The till is in state {GROUP_GET("Till_State", "")}
            Hey, Nice to meet ya!
            ~ At_Serving_Window = true
            -> DONE
    }

- State == "LEAVING":
        { not Leaving && At_Serving_Window:
            -> Leaving
        }

- State == "LEAVING" && SubState == "Move_To_Exit":
        ~ At_Serving_Window = false
}
->DONE

===On_Shopping_State===
#Knot_Delay: Instant
:: DIRECT_MoveTo@MoveToServing(Player Till.Serving)
#SetDirective: @MoveToServing, CompleteOnArrive #Delay: @MoveToServing
Hello There!
:: DIRECT_MoveTo@MoveToExit(Player Till.Exit) // Need some way to tell it to stay
#WaitFor: @MoveToExit, Arrived
I should be staying.
STAAAAY. #Speaker: steveo
AND Done.
#Delay: 5 #SetDirective: @MoveToExit, Complete
//Need to change the directive id so the directive knows to stop
->DONE
Customers are spawned as group of a leader and a few members. The leader of the group will hold the full script and that gets divied out to everyone else in the group. Going through it quickly we have knots (===Knot===) as seperators like in INK. They get called using event triggers instead of the usual way. I use the State_Change knot and INK logic to funnel through to more specific knots. I then run through everything that gets given back to the game by the INK script and parse all the markup that get given as Tags or directives. Tags (#Tag) are used to manipulate flow and directives. A directive (:: DIRECT_Name@ID(Params)) used to manipulate values in the game world like moving a customer or triggering a cutscene they're the main workhorse. You can also get variables from the game in INK using {GROUP_GET("Till_Name", "")} which call a function that retrieves a variable based on a given name and params in this case the name of the till they're at.

Code:
===SETUP===
#NAME: Kevin
{ GLOBAL_GET("Global_Day", "") :
    - 1:
        -> SETUP_DAY1
    - 2:
        -> SETUP_DAY2
}
-> END

===SETUP_DAY1===
# SHOPPINGLIST: 239382987,239382988,239382990,239382989
#ENTOURAGEMEMBER: STEVEO
#ENTOURAGEMEMBER: cHRIS
# ENTOURAGECOUNT: 3
-> DONE
I have a setup block for the generation of each group of customers. The parent Setup knot funnels down into a more specific knot depending on the the day (Only global variables can be retrieved during setup). I set the shopping list and the names of the members of the customer group and because I didn't specify three entourage members one gets generated randomly.

All the extra stuff I added is fully modular because I use Scriptable Objects to do a lot of the lifting in the background. Each directive and tag are in their own discrete file even variables they change are in Scriptable Objects. I use a nifty trick for passing local variables in SO using a Dictionary which I'll talk about next time because I wanted to keep this as short as possible.

I'm a fair way through this now and it wasn't something I'd expected to have to spend this much time on however I see the benefits of it for what I want to use it for more and more. I've taken a relatively small hit to performance for the flexibility. I have tested it and it works in practice but boy have I put a lot of work into it if it doesn't pay off. It's just those times when I'm unsure if it'll actually work in reality in an actual game that really gets to me and I can't really dispel those worries until I get it in an actual game. Oh well no use thinking about it now.

I tried to keep it short so I skipped over a lot because I didn't realise how much there was to it so it's probably hard to understand and poorly written but I just wanted to show off a little. If people are actually interested I'm more than willing to go more in depth about each part. Also if any of the Inkle people see this I'm sorry for what I've done to your baby :P.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Scanline shader in Godot if anyone wants to use it =)

Might think about adding a little scroll to this too.

Code:
shader_type canvas_item;
uniform float scan_line_count : hint_range(0, 1080) = 50.0;

void fragment() {

float r = texture(SCREEN_TEXTURE, (SCREEN_UV) + vec2(SCREEN_PIXEL_SIZE.x*0.07), 0.0).r;
    float g = texture(SCREEN_TEXTURE, (SCREEN_UV) + vec2(SCREEN_PIXEL_SIZE.x*0.07), 0.0).g;
    float b = texture(SCREEN_TEXTURE, (SCREEN_UV) + vec2(SCREEN_PIXEL_SIZE.x*-0.07), 0.0).b;

vec4 color = texture(SCREEN_TEXTURE,(SCREEN_UV));
    float s = sin((SCREEN_UV).y * scan_line_count  * 4.0);
    s = (s * 0.5 + 0.5) * 0.9 + 0.1;
    vec4 scan_line = vec4(vec3(pow(s, 0.10)), 1.0);
    COLOR = vec4(r,g,b, 1) * scan_line;
}

Last edited:

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Continuing to crack away at new stuff for Ephemeral Tale:

Did a gigantic overhaul patch over the last couple of weeks. Involved redoing all the combat formulas, how gear is created, how points are distributed, all sorts of stuff. Was fun, though! And the game is better for it :)

So now, I'm working on QOL stuff for Tuesday's patch, and also planning out next week's patch as well!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, it is pretty fun! Not super deep or anything, but a fun, little experiment.

Won't be too long. Just trying to find the right weekend where I can support a release (so I can respond to emails...).
Whenever you're ready :)

Not gonna lie, 0:12 onwards kinda gave me RAGE 2 vibes. I never really thought about Mario's stomp and long jump in an FPS till now. Pretty cool. The plunger coming out of the cannon is a nice touch.

Also perfect music choice LMAO

HE MAKES IT IN A FLASH
AND ALL THE ASSETS CLASH
DO HIS ARTISTIC SKILLS KNOW NO BOUNDARIES

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually giving some serious thought to starting to try and figure out how to clone Yakuza's cabaret club game as practice. It's interesting because it's not something that there's a direct tutorial for, unlike a lot of platformer/metroidvania stuff I've been looking at so far, so I think it'd be kind of a good jog for my brain... wonder if I can do it in GM2, since that's what I know so far.

I know I should probably actually finish something first but what if nah

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

That looks incredible! So smooth!

Continuing to crack away at new stuff for Ephemeral Tale:

Did a gigantic overhaul patch over the last couple of weeks. Involved redoing all the combat formulas, how gear is created, how points are distributed, all sorts of stuff. Was fun, though! And the game is better for it :)

So now, I'm working on QOL stuff for Tuesday's patch, and also planning out next week's patch as well!

A fellow RPG maker! Followed you on Twitter, your game looks great!

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
RPG makers, you say? Here's mine that I've been developing with a friend for some years now. Latest thing to show off is this battleback animation effect:

An update!

Got the preliminary sketches from the artist, so it looks like this thing is well and truly a go. There are a few tweaks to be made, but even just seeing the draft is exciting. ^_^

uyGJHYT.jpg
pOIiWP7.jpg
v9iF8Hb.jpg

Well, we'll see how it goes. It could be a total dud once all the elements are combined. ^_^ At least I won't have burned too much time/effort on it if so! At least the art will be pretty, right?

And cheers for the Visionaire suggestion and offer to help. I appreciate it, really. I had downloaded it ages ago and toyed with it a bit, but right now with 2 small kids, work, and brain fry from foreign country language overload, I'm extremely grateful to find a programmer willing to help me out with this part. Writing is a relaxing past-time for me, but technical stuff seems my bane of late. And I can't even remember to put on my outdoor shoes some days...

Budget for our recently released game was:
- around 2000€ in dev kits
- around 100€ for software used on the games
- no salary for the three people who worked on the game itself and equally no salary for the two people who made music for the game

It is the second of three games we are going to release for the platforms (PC, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS) and so far we have earned around 400€ on the second game and around 1000€ on the first game.

Thanks for the breakdown, Kazooie! Really interesting to see. I'm impressed you got kits! Those are notoriously a pain to get (though, somewhat depending on which 1st party, I'd say). And it's amazing that you've released on so many platforms! Just remembering doing even basic stuff like updating devkits gives me the shivers.

Me and H.Protagonist made a deal that I would code her demo and she would edit my script :) Talent swaps rule!

With our powers combined...! :D
220px-ThePlaneteers.JPG

Talent swaps rule and are super fun~

Of course, and I'm happy to pay for work I can't do myself, especially for people who do this for a living. I'm jealous that you're so skilled with the art side of things. Definitely saves money! :) I can draw, but not well enough for something like this. I've been lucky so far that I've been able to find a lot of talent willing to do trades for pieces in exchange for help on their own projects (potentially even a talented music guy now at this point), and this is a small enough experiment that it's not going to break the bank even if I have to pony up a bit more. This project is also a learning experiment that I'm sure I'll be able to put to use and do more myself in the future if I want to do another.

Just wanted to say this is really, really awesome. :)

It was only on a whim that I posted that day too. I feel very lucky that we both had such well-suited needs at the same time.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I had a day off yesterday and ended up coding a simple countdown timer and a thing that ticks down after X seconds and adds +1 to a var, so... I guess I'm on my way to making a pseudo-clicker or something

Interestingly this project takes more from card games and the like, so that should be interesting to try and code, since I've never done anything like that before

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Hey everyone!

I just started a new project using 2019.3.0f5. I added in some terrain, and a model ship.

I added some code to get the ship moving:

Code:
Vector3 newPosition = transform.position + transform.forward * Time.deltaTime * 100.0f;
        transform.position = Vector3.Lerp(transform.position, newPosition, 1);

But I ended up getting a pretty bad stutter as a result...

Does anything stick out as to why this might happen?

EDIT:

I was actually able to solve this using the following lines of code:
Code:
        Application.targetFrameRate = 60;

QualitySettings.maxQueuedFrames = 1;
        QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0;

Time.captureFramerate = Screen.currentResolution.refreshRate;

I added this to an empty game object in the hierarchy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
Hey everyone!

I just started a new project using 2019.3.0f5. I added in some terrain, and a model ship.

Code:
Vector3 newPosition = transform.position + transform.forward * Time.deltaTime * 100.0f;

What's the point of that lerp if you are just giving it a 1 in time directly? lerp is used for interpolation, you are basically making an extra step just to assign the value. The idea behind lerp is that 0 will return the first parameter, 1 will return the second parameter, any other value will return a proportional value between both parameters so many times you give it a value that you increase over time using Time.deltaTime (if you don't know about using Time then maybe you are getting ahead of yourself).

Messing with the target framerate doesn't seem like a proper solution because this could vary from system to system. The stutter could come from the camera so maybe smooth its code (I assume the camera has code to follow the ship), check the manual for the Vector3.SmoothDamp method, that's one way to smooth things, other is to use Lerp but properly by giving it a value.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
What's the point of that lerp if you are just giving it a 1 in time directly? lerp is used for interpolation, you are basically making an extra step just to assign the value. The idea behind lerp is that 0 will return the first parameter, 1 will return the second parameter, any other value will return a proportional value between both parameters so many times you give it a value that you increase over time using Time.deltaTime (if you don't know about using Time then maybe you are getting ahead of yourself).

Messing with the target framerate doesn't seem like a proper solution because this could vary from system to system. The stutter could come from the camera so maybe smooth its code (I assume the camera has code to follow the ship), check the manual for the Vector3.SmoothDamp method, that's one way to smooth things, other is to use Lerp but properly by giving it a value.

The lerp was added to (hopefully) solve the stuttering issue. I saw it in a thread on unity's forums. Didn't work :P.

Now regarding the jitter to the movement. You appear to be correct! If I take away the code I was using for the camera and just place the camera as a child of the ship, it's buttery smooth.

Code:
        Vector3 moveCamTo = transform.position - transform.forward * 20.0f + Vector3.up * 5.0f;
        Camera.main.transform.position = moveCamTo;
        Camera.main.transform.LookAt(transform.position + transform.forward * 100.0f);

Here's how I was handling the camera. I'll see if I can find another way that doesn't have this same issue -- if you know any, I would appreciate the advice!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey everyone!

Code:

But I ended up getting a pretty bad stutter as a result...

Does anything stick out as to why this might happen?

EDIT:

I was actually able to solve this using the following lines of code:
Code:
        Application.targetFrameRate = 60;

QualitySettings.maxQueuedFrames = 1;
        QualitySettings.vSyncCount = 0;

Time.captureFramerate = Screen.currentResolution.refreshRate;

I added this to an empty game object in the hierarchy.

Besides what was pointed out above, I would just use Unity's physics for the movement. Rather than actually changing the transform.position, assign a dynamic rigidBody to the ship, then set its velocity, and let Unity's physics take care of the rest. You're almost certainly going to need to do that in order to handle collisions anyway. If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll explain.

Also, the physics stuff should go in FixedUpdate rather than Update. If you do this, use Time.fixedDeltaTime instead of Time.deltaTime. Do not mess with the "capture" times, these are for capturing screenshots and recording videos.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Can anyone recommend some good resources on (human) animation (in Blender possibly)? Tutorials, reference videos, etc...
I'm not an animator, but I'd like to animate some human character for a project I'm working on alone. I have the rig already (praise be to Makehuman), but trial and error for animation isn't getting me too far. Luckily it's a top-down kind of game so it doesn't need to be super amazing but I'd like a decente walk and run cycle at least lol

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I've posted anything substantial here so here goes...

Finished up Punchline in December, took a break. Decided to properly learn Unity in January after dabbling in it over the years, didn't really enjoy it (mainly because the 2D sucks so much compared to GameMaker which is what I used to make Punchline).

Starting to learn Godot, it's honestly really fun. Liking it a lot more than GameMaker. 2D is solid which is important as I'll be working in pixel art again for gaem 2.

Also gotten started on defining a visual look for my next game and the workflow for these backgrounds. I got both of these done within 6 hours. There's definitely a good base there, especially for someone like me who isn't really an artist. Nothing's final atm, but I like the look of it :)

Workflow goes like this:

3D blockout in Blender + fSpy - > render using Freestyle - > clean-up, refinement and everything else in PS

jcuDaie.png

Qgun9uQ.png

6pmQdLm.png

2f2ovfD.png

The first image was inspired by the entrance to Durham Castle.

3725166272_de5d338be0_b.jpg

Bit of a UI mockup too (without the portraits since I haven't got any yet ;^))

KMLSR6H.png

kf158Nd.png

0yOwjjF.png

As fun as Godot is, I want to spend a good amount of time planning this game before jumping head first into the engine stuff. So nailing down the concept, design, character sheets etc etc. Didn't really do this with my previous project which is why I want to take it slow this time 'round. I'm currently commissioning an artist on a few character ref sheets so I hope to show 'em off to you all soon.

These backgrounds look great, damn.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Besides what was pointed out above, I would just use Unity's physics for the movement. Rather than actually changing the transform.position, assign a dynamic rigidBody to the ship, then set its velocity, and let Unity's physics take care of the rest. You're almost certainly going to need to do that in order to handle collisions anyway. If you don't know how to do this, let me know and I'll explain.

Also, the physics stuff should go in FixedUpdate rather than Update. If you do this, use Time.fixedDeltaTime instead of Time.deltaTime. Do not mess with the "capture" times, these are for capturing screenshots and recording videos.

I would love to get some modifications to the physics system going if you have any tips. I switched over to the rigidbody and velocity/add force. But it feels really slow and weighty. What I liked about `not` using the physics system was that the flying was so snappy and felt arcade-like. Am I able to get a similar experience with some more code?

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone recommend some good resources on (human) animation (in Blender possibly)? Tutorials, reference videos, etc...
I'm not an animator, but I'd like to animate some human character for a project I'm working on alone. I have the rig already (praise be to Makehuman), but trial and error for animation isn't getting me too far. Luckily it's a top-down kind of game so it doesn't need to be super amazing but I'd like a decente walk and run cycle at least lol
Unfortunately animation is one of those things that takes a lot of time and study to get looking even half decent. The bright side however, is that animation's key principals apply across the board, regardless of medium/software. I'd suggest starting with the 12 principles (something like this is probably a fair introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4), and then move on to something more specific, so in your case a Blender animation beginners tutorial.

The key thing is to not expect your first animations to look great, don't get disheartened if it takes a few goes before you get something to look half way believable!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I would love to get some modifications to the physics system going if you have any tips. I switched over to the rigidbody and velocity/add force. But it feels really slow and weighty. What I liked about `not` using the physics system was that the flying was so snappy and felt arcade-like. Am I able to get a similar experience with some more code?

Yes! Instead of incrementally adding to the speed (or applying a force, if you're doing that), like you would with position, you want to directly set the velocity you want. In your case it would be something like rigidBody.SetVelocity (transform.forward * speed), where speed is the max speed of the ship as a number, e.g. 100f (recommendation: make this max speed value a public float in your script, so that you can tweak it from the editor without editing code, even during gameplay). You don't need to use any deltaTimes at all with this approach.

If that happens to be too snappy, you can combine both approaches, by increasing the speed in the direction the ship is looking (then capping the velocity's modulo since otherwise the ship will keep acceleration into lightspeed. :D). But you probably don't need to worry about this for now.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Thing most forget or don't know in animation is follow through and overlap just look up the 12 Principles of Animation

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017

This whole Twitter spiel still is new grounds for me, but I try. How are the lot of you doing at managing your project's social media accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.