• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
Started working on something new; I've been playing a lot of Doom and Quake recently, so something in that sort of style. I've mostly got the core mechanics working; shooting, dying, respawning, a few enemy AI's.

5EHYDI5.png

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still have almost a year of US license and 1.5 years of NoE license left. If you finish the game in time for that and cannot get an extension from Nintendo, I would offer to submit / publish it on Wii U for you and giving the full revenue to you (minus possible international banking cost if any apply). Just send a PM to me when you are done, should you be interested.

When it comes to eManuals, it is permissible to make a "minimal" eManual, as long as the game is self-explanatory enough, which is less of an hour of work.

EDIT: Also to be able to use the eManual thing on your current laptop, just install DirectX 9.
Thanks! I might consider it. :)

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Hello all, I'm here because I want to know if this is the right way to make enemy shooting at player and deal damage
I'm using Unity Engine and Csharp.

Code:
[SerializeField] private GameObject player;
    [SerializeField] private GameObject playerBody;
    [SerializeField] private Health health;
    [SerializeField] private GameObject enemyBody;
    [SerializeField] private int maxDistance;
    [SerializeField] private int maskLayer;
    [SerializeField] private bool shootPlayer = false;
    [SerializeField] private bool canShoot = false;
    public int minNum;
    public int maxNum;
    int RandomNum;
    int timer;

void Update()
    {
        RandomNum = Random.Range(minNum, maxNum);
        timer = RandomNum;
    }

void rayShoot()
    {
        RaycastHit shotRay;
        if(Physics.Raycast(enemyBody.transform.position, enemyBody.transform.forward, out shotRay, maxDistance, maskLayer))
        {
            if(shotRay.collider.gameObject == playerBody)
            {
                health.health -= 12 * Time.deltaTime;
            }
        }
    }

void OnTriggerStay(Collider areaOfFire)
    {
        if(areaOfFire.gameObject == player)
        {
            for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
            {
                if (timer == 0)
                {
                    rayShoot();
                }
            }
        }
    }

void OnTriggerExit(Collider dontBang)
    {
        canShoot = false;
    }

Player health is 100 and I want to deal like 100Hp - 12Damage randomly like every 2 seconds and then after 5 seconds and after that wait for 1 seconds and shoot again, I don't want the enemy's shoot to feel like a robot, if that makes any sense.
Sorry for this messy script, I'm still learning.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My game appeared in a reel showing off Unity 2D titles at yesterday's Unity Unite event in Copenhagen. :)

Check timestamp. It's just a few seconds, but it was neat to see it on an actual stage!

Congratulations, man! You're in some pretty amazing (and Spanish, if I do say so myself) company like Gris and Blasphemous! A Place for the Unwilling was also shown at IndieMad when I was showing Divinoids, I met several of its developers. :)

seatoadgames

Jul 5, 2019
Question for anyone who has worked on mobile before, or just anyone with good ideas. I finally got the mobile game I've been working on to stick to Landscape and to fit around the image, but as you see their is extra space to the right. As my phone has more length to it, as most likely most phones will. The game uses a "720p" screen size for the whole game.

So what would be a good solution to deal with this extra space?

1. Stretch it? Going to assume this be a horrible idea.
2. Keep it black but center the game to middle?
3. Center game to middle but have some kind of extra art to left and right?
4. Something else?

So far leaning to #3. As there are sections of the game where their all no walls and the main object (the Star) can go beyond and isn't limited. And would just need extra contious art for different parts of the game/menus

Btw: Ignore the black bar to the left, that's just my phone. It's actually fully to the left with no extra space before it, only after.
I think a mix of 1 and 2 or 3 is good. Let the game stretch with a limit so it does look ridiculous on some of the crazier screen sizes. Add black bars / extra art if the game passes the limit. Also be wary of the notches some phones have like the iphone x. Definitely don't let the game go into that area.

Aug 28, 2019
Hello all, I'm here because I want to know if this is the right way to make enemy shooting at player and deal damage
I'm using Unity Engine and Csharp.
I'll take a shot at it, but you'll have to double check me. Note that there are lots of ways to do things, so I'll just keep it simple here.

Code:
   public int minNum;
    public int maxNum;
    int RandomNum;
    int timer;

void Update()
    {
        RandomNum = Random.Range(minNum, maxNum);
        timer = RandomNum;
    }

I'm not sure this will do what you want. This part will basically assign a random number to timer every frame, so it will just skitter around in the range of integers you specify. If you are trying to give the timer a random starting value, like say set it to something between 2 and 4 seconds, what you probably want to do is something like this (note that I changed your data types):

Code:
public float minNum;
public float maxNum;
private float timer;

void Start()
    {
        timer = Random.Range(minNum, maxNum);
    }

void Update()
    {
        timer = timer - Time.deltaTime;
    }

This will set timer to a random number when the script first starts, and then decrease the timer each frame by the amount of time that has passed since the last frame, so if your starting value is 2, then after 2 seconds the timer will be (roughly) zero. They need to be floats (decimal numbers) because Time.deltaTime will probably be something like 0.006 or whatever. Remember this happens every frame. Once timer <= 0, time's up. You'll have to reset the timer later, but we'll get to that.

Code:
    void rayShoot()
    {
        RaycastHit shotRay;
        if(Physics.Raycast(enemyBody.transform.position, enemyBody.transform.forward, out shotRay, maxDistance, maskLayer))
        {
            if(shotRay.collider.gameObject == playerBody)
            {
                health.health -= 12 * Time.deltaTime;
            }
        }
    }

void OnTriggerStay(Collider areaOfFire)
    {
        if(areaOfFire.gameObject == player)
        {
            for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
            {
                if (timer == 0)
                {
                    rayShoot();
                }
            }
        }
    }

void OnTriggerExit(Collider dontBang)
    {
        canShoot = false;
    }

So, it looks like as long as the player is within the firing range, which is defined by a collider, you want to fire in the direction the enemy is facing every [timer] seconds, is that right? I'm not sure what the 1-10 loop is for, sorry.

For a start, I'm not sure if raycasting is what you want to use here. This basically just draws an imaginary line with no thickness from one point to another and looks to see if the line touched anything. So, it's good for interacting with objects, checking line of sight, etc. From the player's perspective, they would basically take damage sometimes when they walk in front of the enemy. Can you explain how you want this to work? i.e. is this meant to be a hitscan weapon or do you want to fire a beam or projectile? Does it deal instant damage or is it damage over time while the player is standing in it? I can give you more specific help if you can clarify that.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
I'll take a shot at it, but you'll have to double check me. Note that there are lots of ways to do things, so I'll just keep it simple here.

I'm not sure this will do what you want. This part will basically assign a random number to timer every frame, so it will just skitter around in the range of integers you specify. If you are trying to give the timer a random starting value, like say set it to something between 2 and 4 seconds, what you probably want to do is something like this (note that I changed your data types):

Code:
public float minNum;
public float maxNum;
private float timer;

void Start()
    {
    }

void Update()
    {
    }

This will set timer to a random number when the script first starts, and then decrease the timer each frame by the amount of time that has passed since the last frame, so if your starting value is 2, then after 2 seconds the timer will be (roughly) zero. They need to be floats (decimal numbers) because Time.deltaTime will probably be something like 0.006 or whatever. Remember this happens every frame. Once timer <= 0, time's up. You'll have to reset the timer later, but we'll get to that.

So, it looks like as long as the player is within the firing range, which is defined by a collider, you want to fire in the direction the enemy is facing every [timer] seconds, is that right? I'm not sure what the 1-10 loop is for, sorry.

For a start, I'm not sure if raycasting is what you want to use here. This basically just draws an imaginary line with no thickness from one point to another and looks to see if the line touched anything. So, it's good for interacting with objects, checking line of sight, etc. From the player's perspective, they would basically take damage sometimes when they walk in front of the enemy. Can you explain how you want this to work? i.e. is this meant to be a hitscan weapon or do you want to fire a beam or projectile? Does it deal instant damage or is it damage over time while the player is standing in it? I can give you more specific help if you can clarify that.

I used the loop to see how things will work, because as I'm learning I wanted to "experiment" because currently I have no idea where to use the loop, I know it is for repeating the same code, but I have 0 idea which code I want to repeat :)
Thanks for the help, later I will use it hoping it will works :)

Aug 28, 2019
I used the loop to see how things will work, because as I'm learning I wanted to "experiment" because currently I have no idea where to use the loop, I know it is for repeating the same code, but I have 0 idea which code I want to repeat :)
Thanks for the help, later I will use it hoping it will works :)

You're welcome. When you decide how you want it to work, come back and I'll see if I can help again.

Just in general, I would say that you probably want to put your firing code in update(). So when timer <= 0 and canShoot = true, execute the firing routine and reset the timer. Then you can just turn canShoot on and off when the player enters or exits the collision area, and you can get rid of the OnTriggerStay.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
You're welcome. When you decide how you want it to work, come back and I'll see if I can help again.

Just in general, I would say that you probably want to put your firing code in update(). So when timer <= 0 and canShoot = true, execute the firing routine and reset the timer. Then you can just turn canShoot on and off when the player enters or exits the collision area, and you can get rid of the OnTriggerStay.
I will, but I'm worried if someone gets mad because of all these questions :)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
oh no i feel the urge to gamedev returning to me

if i post that makes it more real right? maybe i can get another bit done on my next sprint.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
time to rework my brawler code to work only 2d so i don't have to do sprites that move 8 ways

EZ2i7kS.gif

maybe something in this style which is fairly easy to iterate on quickly

hmmmmmm

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamit. I'm still learning and I really want to be able to start developing.
How am I supposed to wait until then...?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I'd drop by and remind everyone that I still exist.

Decided to take a dive into 3D Modelling again for a variety of factors, starting with a (placeholder) Feminine Base-Mesh and rig. Will probably re-do later but it was nice practice at least. Still got some work to do on it anyway.

4eett6.png

Still undecided on whether to ultimately go 3D and use actual models for characters ingame or stick to my 2D guns and set up a 3D-to-2D-Pipeline to render models as sprites, but as it stands the circumstances that JAEGER is in right now has basically necessitated me to move from handmade pixel-art characters to Model-based ones.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
yeah... i think i might have the gamedev bug bit back... fml

wonder how much Game Maker 2 is... when their next sale is...

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
wonder how much Game Maker 2 is... when their next sale is...

Well, you just missed it being on Sale on Steam for $66 (33% off) for the Desktop license - I don't know how often it goes on sale though since I upgraded immediately when it originally came out discounted to $50 back in 2017.

But in all honesty as someone who got very familiar with GameMaker Studio 2 I would honestly recommend instead learning C# (Actually fairly easy coming from GML) and going with Unity, unless you plan on making something very simple. GMS2 is fairly good all things considered and it was a very hard choice for me to abandon it and start from scratch in Unity, but with every day that that's passed for me (re)developing JAEGER in Unity and coding in C# I keep wishing I did it sooner. There were a lot of headaches I had with the quirks of GMS2 and the GML language in my time using that I've not had to deal with in Unity.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone has tips on getting my game to be more responsive? I followed the shooter tutorial of cryengine, but I still feel like takes forever for the ship to respond to my comands.

I know cryengine is not optimal for that, but I want to developer a on rail shooter later, like star Fox, so wanted to get experience with it first. I also like that cryengine gives you full access to the code. Is there other engine that gives you thisuch access that can be used to make a on rails shooter?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you just missed it being on Sale on Steam for $66 (33% off) for the Desktop license - I don't know how often it goes on sale though since I upgraded immediately when it originally came out discounted to $50 back in 2017.

But in all honesty as someone who got very familiar with GameMaker Studio 2 I would honestly recommend instead learning C# (Actually fairly easy coming from GML) and going with Unity, unless you plan on making something very simple. GMS2 is fairly good all things considered and it was a very hard choice for me to abandon it and start from scratch in Unity, but with every day that that's passed for me (re)developing JAEGER in Unity and coding in C# I keep wishing I did it sooner. There were a lot of headaches I had with the quirks of GMS2 and the GML language in my time using that I've not had to deal with in Unity.

hmm what's the big ups for unity that you found after moving from GM2? I was thinking of moving over when I wanted to go more 3d and suchlike and just sticking to GM for my more 2d stuff... backend stuff?

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
YAY. Released the near-final version of my action+stealth game, DOT Debug on the Google Play Store.
It originally started off as my take on MGS style stealth. DOT is the character main character, and being a black square,
can blend into the walls by standing next to them. With is quite a natural and intuitive stealth mechanic.

KM8Jbxn.png

I spent most of the last few weeks on the android build. Making the menus fully rotatable, so now the entire game supports both landscape and portrait.
And also optimising the hell out of the game. Turns out I was doing collisions all wrong for a grid-based game. I'm now using a datastructure to keep track of where walls are instead of having wall objects. among other tweaks, I've managed to rise the framerate on my phone from sub-30fps in 2018 to over 100fps on my phone. (on PC it's generally 300-500 fps)

I realised, I love working on the android build because i can do my testing anywhere.
the PC version is missing button remapping, so i want to get that in before releasing.

lbS0FGx.png

The game is in a weird state of complete-ness, where all the mechanics are there, and there are 17 levels.
the only things remaining are more cutscenes in between chapters, and a final boss battle that will make up level 18.
I'm the kind of guy that only starts projects and never finishes them, so i'm satisfied to reach this far.

Trailer Here
Download for Android
(via google play store)

It's free, and only 18mb, with no ads or microtransactions.

I'm not sure how to monetise it, since i only really do game development "for fun" i'm not making this game to put food on the table.
Part of me wants as much people to play it as possible, and part of me wants to see how much the game can be worth.

I'm thinking of doing a "Deluxe Edition" upgrade for $3-$5 that will add additional levels, modes, and cheat codes?

I would LOVE some feedback, as i've been working on this for the last few years, and mostly in isolation.
I have no idea if it's a good or balanced game at all.

=============================================

time to rework my brawler code to work only 2d so i don't have to do sprites that move 8 ways

EZ2i7kS.gif

maybe something in this style which is fairly easy to iterate on quickly

hmmmmmm
Wow, that looks amazing. Obviously inspired by avatar, but the choreography looks so fucking cool

What kinda hangups are you having? I've been doing C# for years for my day job, while I use GMS2 for my gamedev.
And I mostly haven't found anything too difficult to do in GMS, especially now that GML now supports class-like structures and JS style dynamic methods.

I find it quite good for 2D projects at least.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace

Code:
public float minNum;
public float maxNum;
private float timer;

void Start()
    {
    }

void Update()
    {
    }

Sorry for the late answer but I was not available.
I'm using the raycast like a laser when the laser turns on and touch the player it should simulate the "bullets" hitting the player, but if there's another way to do it I would love to know how to do it. I don't want to use projectiles since I'm simulating a gun instead of a rocket launcher.
For the damage let's say If the enemy shoot every 3 seconds the enemy will have a robot feel, I don't want the bang...bang...bang (dots are the seconds) I want more like bang..bang.bang...bang.bang.bang more random shooting.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017

Trilinear filtering is set up and both terrain "sheets" now match up seamlessly as well. All in all the game is really coming together. Although the terrain still needs lots of artistic work, it's mostly solved on the tech side of things (for the moment). I'm moving on to non terrain objects like trees, birds, houses, etc. Loading them in is completely foreign to me but I'm slowly figuring it out.

Oct 26, 2017

Ooft, thats a hell of a zoom! Well done!

I've been doing some stuff again. Kinda happy with how this is looking thus far. It's just a mockup but the assets are ready to go in-game. Hows the readability? Is it easy enough to differentiate the background from the foreground? (foreground = collide-able terrain in this instance)

NxhVv68.png

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
could probably desaturate the bg elements even more imho. it's the blue right? It works looking at it but if i blur my eyes it all runs together

perhaps more solid outlines on the world elements

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone for the tips on what to do about the empty space around my game for Mobile. Decided to go for a combo of having repeating background art (already had a pretty nice repeating background, so that makes it easy) for the Menus/etc and black for the actual gameplay. The last world of the game actually takes place in "space" and is larger, might actually have the black space actually be used.

With this recent spike in interest, I made great strides in getting the Wii U version ready. Even dug out my old laptop and finished, hopefully, the manual for it. Just need to fill in all the config, test it, get myself an active NoA Publisher act to actually submit and maybe I'll be ready next week. If I succeed, I might actually be the last released Wii U eShop game. lol

For the mobile game, not even a week since I started this up, and already made great strides. Got it to actually pause when the user switches apps, uses the Back button, fixed and made several responsive things for the mobile version. Still got a good bit to go, but making good progress. I'm hoping to try to be ready to submit to Android in early November. iPhone little bit after that. Currently going 1 step at a time.

I have it loaded up on my phone, really fun to just boot up randomly.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
that feeling when you're searching for resources relating to something and almost every tutorial on the web and some of them that aren't technically tutorials are written by the same guy

shoutouts to ratcasket for somehow thinking about every problem that I have like two or three years earlier and writing tutorials about them

Aug 28, 2019
Sorry for the late answer but I was not available.
I'm using the raycast like a laser when the laser turns on and touch the player it should simulate the "bullets" hitting the player, but if there's another way to do it I would love to know how to do it. I don't want to use projectiles since I'm simulating a gun instead of a rocket launcher.
For the damage let's say If the enemy shoot every 3 seconds the enemy will have a robot feel, I don't want the bang...bang...bang (dots are the seconds) I want more like bang..bang.bang...bang.bang.bang more random shooting.
Raycasting will work for that kind of weapon, as long as you don't mind the hit zone being a simple line. If you want to give it a wider field of fire, you could use spherecasting instead, though that's a bit more expensive. I would say try it out and see if you like the results, and if not you can try a different solution.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Raycasting will work for that kind of weapon, as long as you don't mind the hit zone being a simple line. If you want to give it a wider field of fire, you could use spherecasting instead, though that's a bit more expensive. I would say try it out and see if you like the results, and if not you can try a different solution.
I had no clue Unity had Spherecasting, looks a great option for my enemy. Thanks.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back in

I'm doing an 2d sidescrolling action-platformer again which I last tried in, oh, 2015 or so, but I'm cannibalising bits and pieces of my old projects while looking up new stuff as well, so lots of room to grow. I think I've got a fairly solid idea of systems design, but there's lots of bits and pieces I need to learn how to do. Maybe I can get further than last time? I guess no inktober for me this year, it's gametober instead.

It looks kind of basic but I already got a state machine and controller in there as well as the nifty little draft animations, which is nice

Last edited:

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone doing a game with pixel-art graphics, I hope you plan to implement some nice texture filtering. So many games seem to just click the nearest neighbor filtering option in unity or whatever they are using and then be done with it. This is prevalent even in high profile indie games. Why is this a bad thing? Well because it's nauseating and looks like crap! Why would anyone want wobbly and shimmering pixels?
For reference this is what I'm talking about: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MllBWf
Doing the leftmost one is not a sane artistic choice, it's just bad. If this applies to you, then I highly recommend this article that comes with code and everything: http://themaister.net/blog/2018/08/...rt-filtering-in-3d-a-mathematical-derivation/

I don't know if anyone here is guilty of this it's just that I've been playing so many games with pixel art (both 2d and 3d) recently where the devs either weren't aware or didn't bother dealing with the bare basics of image quality that I felt like I have to get the word out.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For anyone doing a game with pixel-art graphics, I hope you plan to implement some nice texture filtering. So many games seem to just click the nearest neighbor filtering option in unity or whatever they are using and then be done with it. This is prevalent even in high profile indie games. Why is this a bad thing? Well because it's nauseating and looks like crap! Why would anyone want wobbly and shimmering pixels?
For reference this is what I'm talking about: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MllBWf
Doing the leftmost one is not a sane artistic choice, it's just bad. If this applies to you, then I highly recommend this article that comes with code and everything: http://themaister.net/blog/2018/08/...rt-filtering-in-3d-a-mathematical-derivation/

I don't know if anyone here is guilty of this it's just that I've been playing so many games with pixel art (both 2d and 3d) recently where the devs either weren't aware or didn't bother dealing with the bare basics of image quality that I felt like I have to get the word out.

Personally, I think if someone has huge, unfiltered, rotated pixels, then aliasing is the least of their problems. :D I have a (kind of rigged together) pseudo-CRT filter, and also avoid rotating pixels for the most part. I do turn off the filter when taking screenshots and videos, as image scaling messes with the scanlines.

This is my game with the filters on: it will look like crap unless you zoom at 100% and then fullscreen the browser window (F11 on Chrome). Pixels are not always perfectly aligned to the grid, but this is a sacrifice /concesion in order to have smoother movement and scrolling:

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think if someone has huge, unfiltered, rotated pixels, then aliasing is the least of their problems. :D I have a (kind of rigged together) pseudo-CRT filter, and also avoid rotating pixels for the most part. I do turn off the filter when taking screenshots and videos, as image scaling messes with the scanlines.

This is my game with the filters on: it will look like crap unless you zoom at 100% and then fullscreen the browser window (F11 on Chrome). Pixels are not always perfectly aligned to the grid, but this is a sacrifice /concesion in order to have smoother movement and scrolling:
that looks pretty great. I'm thinking more of modern style pixel art rather than retro pixel art(if that makes any sense). Lots of rotations, maybe 3d elements or even full 3d, effects and things like that. Basically sprites thrown on textures with nearest neighbor filtering in a 3d engine and then forgotten about :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
that looks pretty great. I'm thinking more of modern style pixel art rather than retro pixel art(if that makes any sense). Lots of rotations, maybe 3d elements or even full 3d, effects and things like that. Basically sprites thrown on textures with nearest neighbor filtering in a 3d engine and then forgotten about :)

I guess my strong dislike of rotated / zoomed pixels means aliasing issues don't even blip for me. It's like being careful not to obstruct the crosswalk when parking your bank robbery getaway car. :D

This is old man yelling at clouds stuff that will probably die with my generation, when nobody alive actually remembers what it was to play games in that era anymore. It's kind of weird to think about, actually.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my strong dislike of rotated / zoomed pixels means aliasing issues don't even blip for me. It's like being careful not to obstruct the crosswalk when parking your bank robbery getaway car. :D

This is old man yelling at clouds stuff that will probably die with my generation, when nobody alive actually remembers what it was to play games in that era anymore. It's kind of weird to think about, actually.
It depends. I completely agree if we are talking old school style graphics, then it's like mixing resolutions.. you just don't do that. But I've seen quite a few recent infinity engine style games where panning the screen makes all the pixels shimmer and wobble. Not to mention pixel art textures in 3d games.

Alic

Oct 25, 2017
Doing some lookdev for a new project. Focusing on the environment art, character is a placeholder.

Also, god I hate twitter's video compression! Posted a cropped zoomed in version for phones, but when I look at it over wifi, twitter still blurs the video for the first half before popping in with detail, and every time the video loops it goes back to low res.

If anyone takes a look, let me know if the twitter vid is low res, compressed and ugly for the first half. I'm probably being too picky about this, but man does it look bad. And I'd hate to post a bunch of vids with compression that Twitter just doesn't like, or something like that.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
oooh i saw you while browsing the tag! it looks gorgeous!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Doing some lookdev for a new project. Focusing on the environment art, character is a placeholder.

Also, god I hate twitter's video compression! Posted a cropped zoomed in version for phones, but when I look at it over wifi, twitter still blurs the video for the first half before popping in with detail, and every time the video loops it goes back to low res.

If anyone takes a look, let me know if the twitter vid is low res, compressed and ugly for the first half. I'm probably being too picky about this, but man does it look bad. And I'd hate to post a bunch of vids with compression that Twitter just doesn't like, or something like that.

That's super beautiful, wow! Looks right out of a Ghibli movie.

And yes, sadly the Twitter video looks low-quality for the first three seconds. I don't know why twitter does that but it happens to me as well, it drives me mad. :( See if running the video through this site first helps a bit or not:

Oct 25, 2017

I like that. I like that a lot. Feels like I can smell that meadow.

This week we have been working on integrating some hand drawn animations for some UI elements. Here is a test for when a word card is played into the player's journal:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Is that a special event such that it won't be annoying to wait the little time before the book snaps shut? Looks good but

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Did a bit more work (i forget if imgur videos autoplay so I've just linked it for now). Pretty basic stuff still, but it's fun working it out.
  • Doublejump and walljump are in and associated other behind the scenes stuff (air control, differing friction in-air vs on-ground, buffering for coyote time and walljump forgiveness)
  • Figured out how to make a state reset itself so I can feed a state back into itself instead of having to make an interim state.
  • Whipped up a quick character tracking system so I could see character pathing
All stuff I've done before or seen done before, and I'm still following tutorials, but it's great to be able to just get my hands dirty and make the damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.