• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
It's me again, I've notice that when I respawn my player (prefab) it doesn't have the gameObject assigned to the gameObject socket.
I have a Scene player gameObject, but when it gets destroyed I spawn the prefab one, the scene Player has everything in place and works fine, but the problem is that the Prefab player (respawn) doesn't have the gameObject to its socket and I must assign the gameObject manually instead of "respawn Player and assign everything to the respawned Player prefab".

I hope this will be last time :)
Prefabs don't store references to gameObjects that only exist in a scene. If you want to store a reference on a prefab, it will have to be to another prefab.

If you need to hang onto the same in-scene reference, you're better off storing it in a controller object that doesn't get deleted.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Prefabs don't store references to gameObjects that only exist in a scene. If you want to store a reference on a prefab, it will have to be to another prefab.

If you need to hang onto the same in-scene reference, you're better off storing it in a controller object that doesn't get deleted.
I already did this, and Everytime I end play mode I must reset the public int (goodies collected) to 0, because the count will increase everytime I enter play mode.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
That locks out too many people that struggle with it, often gets frustrating and IMO a bit repetitive, especially with faster weapons.
I know what you mean. After a friend of mine bought and ran Crypt of the Necrodancer for the first time, he didn't really gave it much of a chance, as he thought movement was "normal". I finished the game quite a few times with a bunch of different characters cause I really liked it. But I'm also aware that I'll probably never finish with others because, even if I got good enough to do it through practice, it would simply be too much of a time sink. This has happened to me in other purely rhythm based games. "My reaction time just isn't quick enough for this, so I'm not even going to bother" kind of thing.

Instead, it's still a big advantage to listen to the music and use it to understand enemy attack patterns, trap patterns, when your weapon will shoot, and generally to "get into the combat flow".
Gonna be honest here, in regards to the shooting system, I don't think I got it. I went back to your demo and figured I could kill the shield generating enemies if I hit them with the homing projectiles before they shielded. So I managed to reach the end twice, once using only the machine gun, then again armed only with the shotgun. I mostly pressed and held the firing button for a bit, released, then repeat. The firing sound changes and has this progression sense to it, but I'm not sure if that means I'm doing it correctly.

Was this a disappointment for you, or just "oh, expected something else but this is ok too"?
Going in, knowing only what you wrote in your post and the name City of Beats, maybe a bit, I guess? Didn't feel like I was that much in tune with the music for shooting stuff or predicting enemy movement. When I reached the boss though, was a whole other story. I was really having fun there, best part of the demo. The shooting sounds, combined with the boss attacks and minion / bullet pandemonium made it feel a lot more rhythmic. If you could manage to extend that feeling through out all the combat zones it would be pretty dope. Still felt like I was moving a tad too slow though.

My main struggle currently is the usefulness of the hovercar as you state.
It's a difficult choice. On the one hand, I enjoy the current point and click map system, as it is a nice, relaxing break from all the hectic movement from the combat areas. You can simply focus all your attention on your resources and where to go / what to do next. Map navigation is also straight forward, even though the first time I played it, I was a bit confused that you couldn't travel backwards as the node I was at still had the connecting line to unexplored areas.
On the other hand, I like flying around in the hovercar, even though there's not much to do with with it. If you can't go back to previous nodes, would exploring the map while driving the hovercar be a bit annoying because of a constantly advancing invisible barrier behind your back?

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in level design, but have zero experience with anything. What's a good starting program?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's me again, I've notice that when I respawn my player (prefab) it doesn't have the gameObject assigned to the gameObject socket.
I have a Scene player gameObject, but when it gets destroyed I spawn the prefab one, the scene Player has everything in place and works fine, but the problem is that the Prefab player (respawn) doesn't have the gameObject to its socket and I must assign the gameObject manually instead of "respawn Player and assign everything to the respawned Player prefab".

I hope this will be last time :)

Indeed, unlike with scene "pre-spawned" objects, where you can assign references as you want, with prefabs you can only assign references to sub-objects within the prefab. This is why you need to assign the GameState instance manually to the player each time you respawn it.

Alternatively, and I'd recommend this instead, you can invert the control flow completely, and instead of having a player "pre-spawned" in the scene and it spawning another player when it dies, you could instead spawn it from the GameState (both at the scene start, and when the player dies). This will be much more flexible towards future changes (e.g. having different types of player spawn, etc.).

At this point you might as well rename GameState to GameControl, so it would basically be something like:

- "GameControl" script with a public (editor-assignable) "playerPrefab" member, of class Player.
- "Player" script with a private "_gameControl" member of class GameControl, and a SetGameControl function to set it.
- The scene only has a GameControl object pre-spawned (no Player).
- During GameState.Start, call SpawnPlayer, which spawns a player, and call player.SetGameControl (this).
- When the player dies, it calls _gameControl.SpawnPlayer (and destroys itself).

Incidentally, let me know if you want to know how to spawn a player after a delay (you would need a coroutine in the GameState script).

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Indeed, unlike with scene "pre-spawned" objects, where you can assign references as you want, with prefabs you can only assign references to sub-objects within the prefab. This is why you need to assign the GameState instance manually to the player each time you respawn it.

Alternatively, and I'd recommend this instead, you can invert the control flow completely, and instead of having a player "pre-spawned" in the scene and it spawning another player when it dies, you could instead spawn it from the GameState (both at the scene start, and when the player dies). This will be much more flexible towards future changes (e.g. having different types of player spawn, etc.).

At this point you might as well rename GameState to GameControl, so it would basically be something like:

- "GameControl" script with a public (editor-assignable) "playerPrefab" member, of class Player.
- "Player" script with a private "_gameControl" member of class GameControl, and a SetGameControl function to set it.
- The scene only has a GameControl object pre-spawned (no Player).
- During GameState.Start, call SpawnPlayer, which spawns a player, and call player.SetGameControl (this).
- When the player dies, it calls _gameControl.SpawnPlayer (and destroys itself).

Incidentally, let me know if you want to know how to spawn a player after a delay (you would need a coroutine in the GameState script).

I forget to mention that I tried to write Scene.FindGameObjectOfType<GameState>(); to the player class (script), but Unity doesn't recognize the keyword Scene can you be more specific about this?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
dd8belf-3cfa74c2-75a1-4376-898c-8536fafc6c73.png

Cel shading tests on my last head sculpt, I need to find a way to add a good rimlight !

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I would like to start a game localization career, maybe someone here could provide some thoughts on this topic to me. Does anyone have any idea where should I start?

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017
I'll try to give it a try soon-ish and post some feedback. Ideally today or tomorrow, but this weekend is turning out a bit crazy (and stressful).
Cool, looking forward to it! :)

Gonna be honest here, in regards to the shooting system, I don't think I got it. I went back to your demo and figured I could kill the shield generating enemies if I hit them with the homing projectiles before they shielded. So I managed to reach the end twice, once using only the machine gun, then again armed only with the shotgun. I mostly pressed and held the firing button for a bit, released, then repeat. The firing sound changes and has this progression sense to it, but I'm not sure if that means I'm doing it correctly.
You should also be able to hit them with your standard weapons while they are not shielded? Though there might be a small issue right now as they are smaller than the player and if you stand too close to them and shoot, the projectiles might fly over them.
There isn't really a "correct" way to play here, but I think the more familiar you get with the music track, the easier it will get overall, and the more efficient you will get. Default enemies move on normal beats, shoot on the downbeat. Shield enemies throw their shield every second bar on the first beat (iirc). Similar, the bigger enemies with the "!" over them also have their specific, repeating timing on when they charge and shoot their projectile. So once you get a feeling for that, you can time activating your own shield accordingly.

Going in, knowing only what you wrote in your post and the name City of Beats, maybe a bit, I guess? Didn't feel like I was that much in tune with the music for shooting stuff or predicting enemy movement. When I reached the boss though, was a whole other story. I was really having fun there, best part of the demo. The shooting sounds, combined with the boss attacks and minion / bullet pandemonium made it feel a lot more rhythmic. If you could manage to extend that feeling through out all the combat zones it would be pretty dope. Still felt like I was moving a tad too slow though.
Agreed on the slow movement, will have to improve that. Plus it'll get easier once I've got some sort of dash in.
The boss is also my favorite part, I'm planning to extend the boss battle to the whole track at some point. The problem is that it's quite a lot of effort to do these specific moments like adding the extra melody for the boss projectiles, as it can only be used for that specific track in that section for that enemy. Lots of back and forth between my composer and me to get it right from both a music and gameplay perspective :D So I can't simply apply that to the rest of the game without handcrafting and having unique music composed for each encounter.
That's why most enemies just stick to the drums/beats for their timing. Here I have a fixed pattern and can decide which enemy should do which action on which beat. But I can totally see that this might not be too obvious for many players, especially because it all happens automatically and you can get away with just holding down the fire button and trigger skills whenever you like. So, not totally sure what a feasible solution would be here. I think the music/gameplay sync might get more obvious once I've added more elements like hazards (e.g. laser beams and floor traps that rhythmically turn on/off) or minibosses/elite enemies that play out more like the boss encounter.
If you have any ideas in that regard, I'm eager to hear them :)

It's a difficult choice. On the one hand, I enjoy the current point and click map system, as it is a nice, relaxing break from all the hectic movement from the combat areas. You can simply focus all your attention on your resources and where to go / what to do next. Map navigation is also straight forward, even though the first time I played it, I was a bit confused that you couldn't travel backwards as the node I was at still had the connecting line to unexplored areas.
On the other hand, I like flying around in the hovercar, even though there's not much to do with with it. If you can't go back to previous nodes, would exploring the map while driving the hovercar be a bit annoying because of a constantly advancing invisible barrier behind your back?
I think I'll try the "fly around in the overworld map" approach first. It's the easier change of the two, so if it doesn't work I could still go the full open world exploration route. I agree that having an open world where you can only go to a very limited number of places at a time probably isn't the best combination though. Having this strategic layer where you constantly have to choose between multiple options is very important to me, instead of allowing the player to go anywhere, do everything, get all the rewards.

Again, thanks for taking the time to play the build and giving feedback!

TeaberryShark

Feb 8, 2019
Does anyone have any environment/level creation tutorials, specifically geared towards making textures/atlases/trim sheets? I usually focus on characters but have been wanting to creat a VR experience and the whole LD phase has been seriously overwhelming to me...

Like, do I unwrap every single thing? How do I get the grid to work for me... why is scale so hard to get right?!

Aaaaah lol

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've posted about our game Lightmatter a few times in here. We have been working on a new trailer for a long time and finally got to release it yesterday. It feels super nice with so much positive feedback on Reddit, Discord, Twitter, etc. :)

Oh, this looks really interesting. I am getting some portal vibes from this (which is a good thing). I actually had a similar concept floating around in my head a while back but with a very different aesthetic and more of the horror angle. Yours looks great though, much better than what I would have done.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Finishing up the story sequence concepts in Act 1 with "Hostile Takeover". The rest of the concepts can be found here.

The song is "Control Panels" by Jay Puro.

The game itself starts in Act 2. So on to some actual game play!

Last edited:

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Oh, this looks really interesting. I am getting some portal vibes from this (which is a good thing). I actually had a similar concept floating around in my head a while back but with a very different aesthetic and more of the horror angle. Yours looks great though, much better than what I would have done.
Thanks! We've spent many years on this game, trying to figure out its story, look and mechanics. Originally, it actually started out with more horror vibes (because shadows = horror), but we decided to move away from it and focus more on the puzzles and sci-fi inspirations.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if this would be the proper thread to ask, but it's the first one that came up when entering "coding" into the search bar.

Anyway! In my hour lunch break at work I have stopped leaving to get lunch and have been staying in the office, leaving me with about an hour of time to kill. I've been slowly dabbling in Python on codeacademy and while I think it's a decent start so far, I was wondering if anyone here had any other resources aside from codeacademy for an absolute beginner to learn coding in their spare time? Any tips or links would be massively appreciated.

Ianan

Oct 26, 2017
Liverpool
I'm not sure if this would be the proper thread to ask, but it's the first one that came up when entering "coding" into the search bar.

Anyway! In my hour lunch break at work I have stopped leaving to get lunch and have been staying in the office, leaving me with about an hour of time to kill. I've been slowly dabbling in Python on codeacademy and while I think it's a decent start so far, I was wondering if anyone here had any other resources aside from codeacademy for an absolute beginner to learn coding in their spare time? Any tips or links would be massively appreciated.

Check this link out: https://github.com/ossu/computer-science/blob/dev/README.md

It's a fantastic page full of links and resources to help someone get started and continue into a full education for computer science

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's me again (again) but this time I'm not seeking help ;P
I fixed my issue, but I did something different.
I just cloned my Player gameObject and hide it in the scene, so, everytime he dies I respawn my cloned gameObject, does this create future issues?

It's standard practice to only instantiate prefabs that are in the hierarchy, rather than clone existing gameObjects that are already in the scene itself (mostly because they may not be "clean", i.e. have changed values), but if you're going that route, it might be simpler to just respawn the player itself. i.e. rather than "Instantiate (hiddenPlayer)", simply use "Instantiate (this)". You would only need to reinitialize the player's health (which would be zero by then), and any other variables.

But again, if you're doing this, it's even better practice not to actually re-instantiate anything at all, and simply reuse the player itself as-is, without creation or destruction. I.e. when the player dies, physically move it to the respawn point (and, again, initialize its health, etc.). The advantage of this over any other method is that you don't generate any garbage, which is more efficient; in this case it's probably not much of a difference, but this becomes a problem when it's a lot of objects being created and destroyed often, so this is good "practice" for that and the concept of pooling.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
It's standard practice to only instantiate prefabs that are in the hierarchy, rather than clone existing gameObjects that are already in the scene itself (mostly because they may not be "clean", i.e. have changed values), but if you're going that route, it might be simpler to just respawn the player itself. i.e. rather than "Instantiate (hiddenPlayer)", simply use "Instantiate (this)". You would only need to reinitialize the player's health (which would be zero by then), and any other variables.

But again, if you're doing this, it's even better practice not to actually re-instantiate anything at all, and simply reuse the player itself as-is, without creation or destruction. I.e. when the player dies, physically move it to the respawn point (and, again, initialize its health, etc.). The advantage of this over any other method is that you don't generate any garbage, which is more efficient; in this case it's probably not much of a difference, but this becomes a problem when it's a lot of objects being created and destroyed often, so this is good "practice" for that and the concept of pooling.
Thumb up.

Nov 18, 2017
Artist here looking for any teams out there who have a short-medium term project they'd like help with. I have a couple of hobby projects under my belt but looking for more structured experience on a project that will ship.

DM for examples of work if interested.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
I think the music/gameplay sync might get more obvious once I've added more elements like hazards (e.g. laser beams and floor traps that rhythmically turn on/off) or minibosses/elite enemies that play out more like the boss encounter.
If you have any ideas in that regard, I'm eager to hear them :)
You're probably right, having more elements, that require different actions from the player will most likely add to the rhythmic feel. Particularly, and I'm just guessing here, if they're at different parts of the beat or tempo (not even sure if I'm using the right words here, as I know nothing about music).
I keep thinking about a reverse area of effect like in the boss, areas you want to be in, in a few seconds from now. Maybe even areas you want to avoid, followed by areas you want to be in cyclical type of thing. Not sure if that is any different from what you have in the boss right now, in practice. Or if it provides for interesting gameplay at all though. Maybe a timed door like structure that requires you to navigate such areas to reach there in time.
Perhaps a game of musical whack-a-mole, where you have to preemptively shoot one of a few possible options based on the music, since they stay up for a very short amount of time and thus you can't just react to it visually. This sounds more like a mini boss or something.
Again, I know nothing about music, so I may just be spouting nonsense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on a very small project with a friend. I made this UI trying to go for like a scrapbook theme because it's a memory. I wanted to know what you guys thought of it.
Rf7l1zQ.png

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017
You're probably right, having more elements, that require different actions from the player will most likely add to the rhythmic feel. Particularly, and I'm just guessing here, if they're at different parts of the beat or tempo (not even sure if I'm using the right words here, as I know nothing about music).
I keep thinking about a reverse area of effect like in the boss, areas you want to be in, in a few seconds from now. Maybe even areas you want to avoid, followed by areas you want to be in cyclical type of thing. Not sure if that is any different from what you have in the boss right now, in practice. Or if it provides for interesting gameplay at all though. Maybe a timed door like structure that requires you to navigate such areas to reach there in time.
Perhaps a game of musical whack-a-mole, where you have to preemptively shoot one of a few possible options based on the music, since they stay up for a very short amount of time and thus you can't just react to it visually. This sounds more like a mini boss or something.
Again, I know nothing about music, so I may just be spouting nonsense.
That sounds cool :) I'd like to go in that direction with the (mini-)bosses! Also thought about a boss that has 3 vulnerable spots, each "bound" to a different music note. And while that note is highlighted in the music track, you can shoot the according spot to deal damage. Or similarly, each of these spots would blink and a note is played, and you have to shoot the spot with the note that doesn't fit to the current music harmony.
There is a lot of potential with the concept, though I must be careful not locking out players without musical experience.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Just found this thread! I'm working on a visual novel with a friend. (In the future I wanna make more interacative games, but I'm doing the code, art, design and programming and on top of that editing my friends text, and unfortunately my day only has 24 hours so visual novels it is for now lol)

It's a dystopian story about the dangers of privatizing public services told using a PC-98 pixel art aesthetic. If that's your jam, you can find the demo here: https://hanuli.itch.io/vengeful-heart

l0MCCs.gif

It's kidna weird how tiring even a predictable project like a visual novel is. I'm starting to think I'm prpbably only gonna make very short projects after this. If I could do this full time someday, maybe I could take on bigger multi year projects.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just found this thread! I'm working on a visual novel with a friend. (In the future I wanna make more interacative games, but I'm doing the code, art, design and programming and on top of that editing my friends text, and unfortunately my day only has 24 hours so visual novels it is for now lol)

It's a dystopian story about the dangers of privatizing public services told using a PC-98 pixel art aesthetic. If that's your jam, you can find the demo here: https://hanuli.itch.io/vengeful-heart

l0MCCs.gif

It's kidna weird how tiring even a predictable project like a visual novel is. I'm starting to think I'm prpbably only gonna make very short projects after this. If I could do this full time someday, maybe I could take on bigger multi year projects.

For what it's work I think it looks amazing, especially considering the code and art comes from the same person (i.e. you). You should be very proud of it, and absolutely don't think less of visual novels as a medium / genre. :)

That said, I'm also curious: what genres would you want to make games in?

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
For what it's work I think it looks amazing, especially considering the code and art comes from the same person (i.e. you). You should be very proud of it, and absolutely don't think less of visual novels as a medium / genre. :)

That said, I'm also curious: what genres would you want to make games in?

I don't think less of visual novels, I love them! It's just I don't wanna make only visual novels. I would like to make a farm game akin to stardew valley but with my own twist. It's been in the back of my head for a few years, so I've slowly designed most aspects of it. Alas in my head it shall stay until I have time for it.

Thank you for the praise!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't think less of visual novels, I love them! It's just I don't wanna make only visual novels. I would like to make a farm game akin to stardew valley but with my own twist. It's been in the back of my head for a few years, so I've slowly designed most aspects of it. Alas in my head it shall stay until I have time for it.

Thank you for the praise!

Yeah, I didn't know how to phrase "feel every bit as proud of making a VN as you would any other game" in a way that didn't sound like I thought you dismissed VNs, hah. :D

A game that gives the farm genre a twist would be really neat. Stardew is awesome but it's really the full realization of the Harvest Moon formula's potential; I would love to see more crazy offshoots like Slime Rancher.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jahasaja I'm sorry Twitter isn't necessarily working out, but I'm watching a Macaw45 VOD while working from home today and saw him playing Driven Out. I hadn't really seen the game in action until this and it looks great!

l0MCCs.gif

whoaaa great art, this rules. I'll have to give it a try.

I'm currently a few years deep into Big Project Scope Regret and am currently craving working on smaller ones. Maybe a case of the grass always being greener.

Last edited:

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
jahasaja I'm sorry Twitter isn't necessarily working out, but I'm watching a Macaw45 VOD while working from home today and saw him playing Driven Out. I hadn't really seen the game in action until this and it looks great!

whoaaa great art, this rules. I'll have to give it a try.

I'm currently a few years deep into Big Project Scope Regret and am currently craving working on smaller ones. Maybe a case of the grass always being greener.
Thanks! Yeah I tried to contact streamers who play retro games. His stream of Driven Out is probably my favorite. He was amazing at seeing and appreciating a lot of the little things.

As for Twitter I think it is good that I have come to terms with the fact that it is just a waste of time. I think it might work for some but I am not good at it and it takes up way to much time and brain power.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
My kids and I are working on a game based on the adventures of the stuffed animals that live with us. The Sheep and Fox Show: Episode 1 coming soon!

I'm on modeling while my eldest is doing the textures. We will be developing this in Unity instead of the kbEngine for the better toolset.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
BSlTBAl.png

Coming back from a vacation, I'm working on stylizing my rpg map. The scale is completely off but I'm experimenting with waves along the coast and darker colors for deeper water.

This map is essentially the only visual in the game so there is still a lot of work to go. I need to add propper visuals for grass, mountains, forests, rivers, snow, deserts, etc. and replace the flat colors currently in use.

The TMO

Oct 18, 2018
Hi! I'm an italian dev and our game is about mesuring things with bananas.
We are now in a beta stage of the development and I was forced to make this teaser for an event.

I wanted to do a more accurate devlog, that i'm planning to do, but right now here it is!

For now is "just for fun" and we are two of us. I will post some more on here and TigSource as soon as I finish gathering all the information, this was really a rush for now.

Thanks!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Already posted this on the Discord server, but figured why not here too:

Prototyp3Shots_1080.png

Finally got around to playing it! My two cents, without having read Chronus' feedback to avoid priming my own, so apologies if there's repeats, especially if you already justified them:

- Love the Blade Runner aesthetic. Love love love it! It has precisely the exact amount of detail to be evocative without being distracting, moody without being hard to see. Massive props here.
- No controller controls meant I couldn't play properly, especially because I use a wireless keyboard with a touchpad, so aiming and shooting was a chore. I would rig an Xpadder profile but it never works well with mouse cursor aim games. Therefore I didn't play very much. I'll definitely play more if you implement controller support.
- The rhythm mechanic is cool and lends itself well to making the game a delightful audiovisual display.
- I did not much enjoy the cooldown on weapons. I think making the player wait, in general, is best used very sparingly, and only if no other choice exists. I don't think removing the charge / cooldown bar would fundamentally break the game, considering the guns already shoot with the music's rhythm. That said, as I mentioned I didn't play much, so it's possible the player gets used to it and the shoot / wait becomes part of the rhythm.
- The area where you can "press F to land" the hovercar is a bit too small / precise. I think it would make more sense to cover the whole building, even if you are then moved to a specific spot when the stage begins. Often I had to maneouver a bit to land it, which seemed unnecesary since it's basically a menu with no pressure.
- When switching to 1080p fullscreen (my native resolution), I could not click any buttons. This has happened to me before with other games so I knew how to fix it (by disabling the "scale according to DPI" option in compatibility). I'm not sure if that's something you can fix on your end or a quirk of Unreal Engine, but if you want to test it, you should be able to reproduce it by setting the desktop option that scales text to 125% and starting the game in fullscreen.

Looking very good and I eagerly await a version with controller support. :)

Samban

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been crazy busy with BitSummit recently but recently did a big ol website update + can now show off our new bitsummit trailer

I'm very eager to go to bitsummit (never went there, only did Tokyo Game Show). But most of all i'm eager to be after that because we can FINALLY move on to work on new content.I've seen this forest too many times :p

I'll be blunt: this looks a bit too much like muramasa visually. Like, at first glance it looks like a sprite rip. The game itself looks closer to a CAG than muramasa, but the comparisons might overshadow the actual game itself. I mean, you guys even have the exclamation notifier for combat encounters with a black ink motif, the map layout on the right is very similar, etc. Just some food for thought.

Otherwise it looks cool. I'm a sucker for CAGs and we need more 2D ones.

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to playing it! My two cents, without having read Chronus' feedback to avoid priming my own, so apologies if there's repeats, especially if you already justified them:

- Love the Blade Runner aesthetic. Love love love it! It has precisely the exact amount of detail to be evocative without being distracting, moody without being hard to see. Massive props here.
- No controller controls meant I couldn't play properly, especially because I use a wireless keyboard with a touchpad, so aiming and shooting was a chore. I would rig an Xpadder profile but it never works well with mouse cursor aim games. Therefore I didn't play very much. I'll definitely play more if you implement controller support.
- The rhythm mechanic is cool and lends itself well to making the game a delightful audiovisual display.
- I did not much enjoy the cooldown on weapons. I think making the player wait, in general, is best used very sparingly, and only if no other choice exists. I don't think removing the charge / cooldown bar would fundamentally break the game, considering the guns already shoot with the music's rhythm. That said, as I mentioned I didn't play much, so it's possible the player gets used to it and the shoot / wait becomes part of the rhythm.
- The area where you can "press F to land" the hovercar is a bit too small / precise. I think it would make more sense to cover the whole building, even if you are then moved to a specific spot when the stage begins. Often I had to maneouver a bit to land it, which seemed unnecesary since it's basically a menu with no pressure.
- When switching to 1080p fullscreen (my native resolution), I could not click any buttons. This has happened to me before with other games so I knew how to fix it (by disabling the "scale according to DPI" option in compatibility). I'm not sure if that's something you can fix on your end or a quirk of Unreal Engine, but if you want to test it, you should be able to reproduce it by setting the desktop option that scales text to 125% and starting the game in fullscreen.

Looking very good and I eagerly await a version with controller support. :)
Thanks for the feedback :) There actually is partial controller support already. Only the map screen doesn't work yet because of a bug in UE4 that prevents actor click events from being triggered with analog cursors. Though I have to update the special attack/shield keymappings to make them work again, but the shooting itself should work just fine.

I see your point on the overheating/cooldown. I've added this to prevent monotonous shooting throughout the whole track, as that doesn't sound good and gets boring after a while (I could basically remove the shoot button haha). Still needs a lot of fine-tuning! So maybe I'll increase the number of shots before overheating and decrease the cooldown time a bit.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for the feedback :) There actually is partial controller support already. Only the map screen doesn't work yet because of a bug in UE4 that prevents actor click events from being triggered with analog cursors. Though I have to update the special attack/shield keymappings to make them work again, but the shooting itself should work just fine.

I see your point on the overheating/cooldown. I've added this to prevent monotonous shooting throughout the whole track, as that doesn't sound good and gets boring after a while (I could basically remove the shoot button haha). Still needs a lot of fine-tuning! So maybe I'll increase the number of shots before overheating and decrease the cooldown time a bit.

With the knowledge that there's partial controller support, I went in a second time, so I have a bit of new feedback:

- Taking a page from Subset's (FTL / ITB)'s book, I would flip the cooldown mechanic on its head. Instead of punishing the player for shooting constantly, reward them for not doing so. You already have a charged shot: make it charge automatically when you're not shooting, and fire it when you next shoot; you can even add several charge levels if you want. A lot of bullet hell games (and DMC5) do this and it works fantastically; as a bonus, you need one less button, reducing control complexity. In general, rewarding the player for doing what you want, rather than punishing them for doing the opposite, feel so much better for the player.

- Movement speed feels way too slow. It feels "sluggish" by itself, but it's also simply insufficient to dodge the incoming shots. It feels like you take a lot of cheap shots that are inevitable and whittle down your health pool which is large to compensate. With a controller I had no access to the shield skill, but I don't think defending against undodgeable enemy fire is something that feels good anyway. I would: increase the player's movement speed, decreased enemy shots' speed, and perhaps replace the shield by a directional dodge or dash. Check out most dual stick shooters like Enter the Gungeon, the player can pretty much dance around bullets, because that feels good.

- The enemies that shoot laser beams sometimes hit you instantly with no warning. I think they're programmed to start the beam on one side of you and sweep through you, but sometimes you're moving and they start the beam right on top of you. Perhaps they should instead start the beam on top of you but have a "warning", thin beam appear that does no damage.

- There's no feedback for a lot of things (e.g. getting hit), but I'm assuming this is temporary until you implement these effects. Still, in case you haven't seen it, there's one specific video by Vlambeer about feedback that I ended up implementing a ton of things from, and it made my own game feel like 200% better.

Status
Not open for further replies.