• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
napkins3.gif

Piggo doesn't actually jump. It's just the sprite moved up a few pixels.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Fair enough, do you have any link? if You do, please send me a PM :)

Not the same guy, but I've had a lot of success with reddit. /Unity3d, /Unity2d, and /gamedev. The first two are better for questions regarding the engine Unity itself. And /gamedev is better for general questions about development.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Allow me to post this yet again. It's how I started working with Unity.
www.resetera.com

Indie Game Development |OT 2018| Come, help, learn, show and tell!

I 200% recommend this set of online courses by the University of Michigan (particularly courses 1 and 4): the teacher is amazing and they are ridiculously complete, easy to follow, and comprehensive; they also start from one hundred percent entry level...
(everyone else, apologies; I know you're all sick of seeing it. :D).

I don't think there's any issue with you asking questions here, either; I've got a couple years of experience with making a 2D game on Unity by now so I'll help in any way I can.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Not the same guy, but I've had a lot of success with reddit. /Unity3d, /Unity2d, and /gamedev. The first two are better for questions regarding the engine Unity itself. And /gamedev is better for general questions about development.

Those are all good suggestions.

Unity also has some good tutorials, and you'll get familiar with Unity's manual and scripting API documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html

Since it sounds like you're just starting out learning programming, it might be good to try and get a good base understanding before learning an engine like Unity. So maybe try something like /r/learnprogramming on reddit or read some books (some recommendations on stack overflow). Maybe make some little toy applications in C# since it's the language what Unity uses.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Those are all good suggestions.

Unity also has some good tutorials, and you'll get familiar with Unity's manual and scripting API documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html

Since it sounds like you're just starting out learning programming, it might be good to try and get a good base understanding before learning an engine like Unity. So maybe try something like /r/learnprogramming on reddit or read some books (some recommendations on stack overflow). Maybe make some little toy applications in C# since it's the language what Unity uses.

Do you mean a base understanding of Functions, variables, arrays, classes and all the good stuff? I already know this :)
It is just that I'm learning by "experimenting" because I tried to watch some videotutorials and I've read stuff.
I just programmed a game where the main character walk, collect stuff, die, respawn and I already have enemy AI that follow the player when the player enters inside the enemy trigger (sight) the problem i'm having has something to do with my gamecontroller script (gamecontroller has everything from making sure I've collected amount of goodies to open the door to spawnPoint) but everytime a new player spawn the gamecontroller won't recognize my new gameObject (Player). I don't know if that makes sense :)

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean a base understanding of Functions, variables, arrays, classes and all the good stuff? I already know this :)
It is just that I'm learning by "experimenting" because I tried to watch some videotutorials and I've read stuff.
I just programmed a game where the main character walk, collect stuff, die, respawn and I already have enemy AI that follow the player when the player enters inside the enemy trigger (sight) the problem i'm having has something to do with my gamecontroller script (gamecontroller has everything from making sure I've collected amount of goodies to open the door to spawnPoint) but everytime a new player spawn the gamecontroller won't recognize my new gameObject (Player). I don't know if that makes sense :)
Awesome! You're further along than I assumed. I was thinking about getting an understanding about how your code translates to how it actually executes on the CPU/GPU, and how the engine systems interact. It shouldn't be a problem until you start doing a lot of complicated stuff. Unity has the Profiler that you can use to figure out what is causing slow downs when you get there. Good luck, and keep learning!

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Awesome! You're further along than I assumed. I was thinking about getting an understanding about how your code translates to how it actually executes on the CPU/GPU, and how the engine systems interact. It shouldn't be a problem until you start doing a lot of complicated stuff. Unity has the Profiler that you can use to figure out what is causing slow downs when you get there. Good luck, and keep learning!
Thanks for the ecouragement. It is a lil bit tough, but I'm having fun :)
I started following my childhood dream now that I'm an adult, I always wanted to do this but I never had the opportunity (when I was younger).

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I continue to work super slow. Here's one of the soldiers from my game... still working on animations, etc.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
the problem i'm having has something to do with my gamecontroller script (gamecontroller has everything from making sure I've collected amount of goodies to open the door to spawnPoint) but everytime a new player spawn the gamecontroller won't recognize my new gameObject (Player). I don't know if that makes sense :)

First of all, how is the GameController referencing the Players? How is it "normally" made aware of how many players are there, and what they are?

For objects that can be created at runtime (e.g. players dropping in), a common way to handle it is to have the player retrieve your game controller (this can be from a static singleton or any other more complicated way) and then register itself as another active player within the game controller. And when the player dies or whatever, it unregisters itself from the game controller.

(I personally have a PlayersManager that is responsible of both creating and mantaining refererences to players, so players don't need to register themselves, but I do use the "register" scheme above with game elements that can be created in multiple places, like enemies or projectiles).

Incarne

Aug 29, 2018
These are some characters for the Zelda-Like game I'm working on, have a couple more that I'll line up :)

unknown.png

D1sS1XXWkAAM1p1.jpg:large

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
I've finally got something I think is worth showing off. I've been working on a shoot 'em up while learning engine and graphics programming. Most of the assets are free from KenneyNL. Eventually, I'm thinking I'll add a Starfox 64 type campaign, but right now everything is randomly generated.

I'll eventually need SOMEONE to do the art, still need to add a bunch of features to my engine. It's not even multithreaded, yet! :D

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
I've finally got something I think is worth showing off. I've been working on a shoot 'em up while learning engine and graphics programming. Most of the assets are free from KenneyNL. Eventually, I'm thinking I'll add a Starfox 64 type campaign, but right now everything is randomly generated.

I'll eventually need SOMEONE to do the art, still need to add a bunch of features to my engine. It's not even multithreaded, yet! :D

Nice job, turbo! Keep up the good work!

M-66

Oct 27, 2017
b45a2217.gif

Just another day in the sandbox.

On another note, I've been using Photoshop for 25 years and I only now discovered there's a 500-frame limit on video-to-gif export.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
b45a2217.gif

Just another day in the sandbox.

On another note, I've been using Photoshop for 25 years and I only now discovered there's a 500-frame limit on video-to-gif export.

Ha! love it. Wanted to ask on the last gif you posted (lurking a lot), what are you using for dynamic lighting? I think I see it here as well. For non-static objects are you just doing a flat multiplier for the entire texture based on distances to light sources or are you apply a gradient with a lightmap? Hell, I'm curious what engine you're using.

M-66

Oct 27, 2017
For non-static objects are you just doing a flat multiplier for the entire texture based on distances to light sources or are you apply a gradient with a lightmap? Hell, I'm curious what engine you're using.

For lights right now I'm doing like the least complex thing possible - all light sources are drawn as additive textures into an offscreen buffer that gets multiplied over the final frame. Fast and simple. I like it because it doesn't mess too much with the sprites but helps add some mood/flavor to the different areas. Down the road will probably support per-light volumetric shadows by rendering masks into a shadow buffer and doing some directional smearing (a bit like how god rays are typically implemented in 3d), which will in turn mask out the additive light texture

The engine is GMS2. Started prototyping with it honestly because of its limitations: the rather inelegant GML language means I'm free to make a bit of a mess and just see what comes out. Can re-implement code in Unreal or our own engine later - the time-consuming part is the spritework and that will transfer to any engine.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
First of all, how is the GameController referencing the Players? How is it "normally" made aware of how many players are there, and what they are?

For objects that can be created at runtime (e.g. players dropping in), a common way to handle it is to have the player retrieve your game controller (this can be from a static singleton or any other more complicated way) and then register itself as another active player within the game controller. And when the player dies or whatever, it unregisters itself from the game controller.

(I personally have a PlayersManager that is responsible of both creating and mantaining refererences to players, so players don't need to register themselves, but I do use the "register" scheme above with game elements that can be created in multiple places, like enemies or projectiles).
This make sense, thanks.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Other Gamedevs sounds better than the followers I get - Seems to be mostly Brand Bots that crawl keywords and follow/like/RT me so I notice THEM with them trying to sell me something (And then pull their Follow/Like/RT after receiving Engagement in return).

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been a hot minute since I've posted anything, but here's the most recent boss I've been working on:

Still needs some polish and playtesting (without invincibility on :) )

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Completed the concept for the 3rd story beat in Thieves in The Night. It's titled "The E.L.P.".

The song is called "Escape Plan" and was made by Jay Puro.

All of the completed story concepts can be found here.

Edit:
Update Video

Last edited:

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Been working on something new. New artwork, new code, new music. The nice part is I know I can actually build this, whereas normally my ideas are a little too grandiose for just one person to make.

I have never shared my music online before, but I like how this is turning out! What do you all think?

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Hello, I'm here to ask all of you Unity and C# experts how I can keep my collectibles count with a spawned player gameObject.
Let me explain, I have a gameObject named player the gameObject collect some "goodies" that are sparsed through the map, now I collect the goodies and the Inspector tells me How many goodies I'm collecting (amount = 0, amount = 1 and so on, till I reach amount = 4 and the door opens), but my problem is that when I die and spawn the count returns to 0 and. I want to know how to keep track of the goodies count.
The gameController (script) makes sure I collect a total amount of goodies if I collect like 4 goodies the door opens, so I can go the next stage.
Sorry for seeking help here.

Chronus

Nov 2, 2017
Hm, maybe download it again? I just tried it with both 7zip and the Windows Explorer unzip and had no problems.
Had to use the Windows Explorer unzip, 7zip was giving me a bunch of error messages. Compatibility issue from still rocking Win7? I dunno.
Anyway, I like the duality from having the flying car and on foot play styles. I tend not to enjoy games where you don't control something directly throughout the whole game, like in FTL. But here, you can actually move and shoot stuff. I think that, combined with the more thought out, strategic side, played in the map area is a better mix and suit to my personal taste. How common said preference is, I'm not really sure.
Regarding combat, from reading the description, I was expecting some kind of Crypt of the Necrodancer style gameplay where one would press the fire key at the music beat, but that didn't seem like the case at all. It took me quite a while to realize I could just fire whenever I wanted, apart from the gun "heating" mechanic. Hitting targets was a bit difficult at first, even with the auto aim, but I think I got the hang of it after a bit. I kept wishing for a dodge ability not unlike the Fish character from Nuclear Throne. Or, at the very least, some kind of movement related ability, since dodging projectiles was a tad difficult since we move somewhat slowly. Since you can be unable to see the whole arena, I wonder if it may become a bit too hectic, with shots coming from enemies away from your field of vision.
It would be neat to get some different abilities throughout your map exploration, either adding them to your arsenal or by choosing which ones you want replaced.
I got to the boss building, but never managed to reach it due to having lost a lot of health on the way there. Couldn't figure out how to kill the shield generating enemies though, shots would just bounce back cause of the shields or just go completely through them. So whenever they showed up, I couldn't progress any more.
Flying the car around in the combat encounter zone seemed a bit unnecessary, since the only on foot explorable area was the actual combat building. But I suppose you may want to include some secret or extra stuff in the game that rewards exploration.
I realize it's still pretty early on, hopefully this feedback can be of some use. Keep up the good work.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hello, I'm here to ask all of you Unity and C# experts how I can keep my collectibles count with a spawned player gameObject.
Let me explain, I have a gameObject named player the gameObject collect some "goodies" that are sparsed through the map, now I collect the goodies and the Inspector tells me How many goodies I'm collecting (amount = 0, amount = 1 and so on, till I reach amount = 4 and the door opens), but my problem is that when I die and spawn the count returns to 0 and. I want to know how to keep track of the goodies count.
The gameController (script) makes sure I collect a total amount of goodies if I collect like 4 goodies the door opens, so I can go the next stage.
Sorry for seeking help here.

There's a multitude of ways of doing this (e.g. don't destroy the player, but rather make it invisible upon death and relocate it when it respawns), but if you want to actually destroy and recreate the player gameObject each time it respawns, the easiest way would probably be:
1) Create a "GameState.cs" script that holds a public "collectedGoodies" variable.
2) Add a gameObject to your scene that has the GameState.cs and nothing else.
3) Add a variable of type GameState to the player (e.g. "_gameState"), then retrieve the GameState object above during Player.Awake, and set it to _gameState (see below * if you don't know how to do this).
4) Access the number of collected goodies from the player with _gameState.collectedGoodies.

* You can retrieve an object from another object in several ways:
- By script, with Scene.FindObjectOfType (in this case, Scene.FindObjectOfType <GameState> (); , notice the use of < > );
- By name, with Object.Find (then retrieving the script with GetComponent).
- By tag, with Object.FindByTag (then again retrieving the script).
None of these methods is terrible efficient so it's important that you don't used them in every frame (i.e. in the Update methods); rather, use them once and store the reference, as described above.

Please ask if you have any further doubts. :)

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
There's a multitude of ways of doing this (e.g. don't destroy the player, but rather make it invisible upon death and relocate it when it respawns), but if you want to actually destroy and recreate the player gameObject each time it respawns, the easiest way would probably be:
1) Create a "GameState.cs" script that holds a public "collectedGoodies" variable.
2) Add a gameObject to your scene that has the GameState.cs and nothing else.
3) Add a variable of type GameState to the player (e.g. "_gameState"), then retrieve the GameState object above during Player.Awake, and set it to _gameState (see below * if you don't know how to do this).
4) Access the number of collected goodies from the player with _gameState.collectedGoodies.

* You can retrieve an object from another object in several ways:
- By script, with Scene.FindObjectOfType (in this case, Scene.FindObjectOfType <GameState> (); , notice the use of < > );
- By name, with Object.Find (then retrieving the script with GetComponent).
- By tag, with Object.FindByTag (then again retrieving the script).
None of these methods is terrible efficient so it's important that you don't used them in every frame (i.e. in the Update methods); rather, use them once and store the reference, as described above.

Please ask if you have any further doubts. :)
Thanks to you I'm learning more :D

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Anybody feel Twitter is helping with promotion? I am not so sure it is working for me.
Honestly I think it depends on your game.

It's quite easy for someone to like/retweet a fun/awesome gif of a game - it's a lot harder for them to open their wallet when the time comes. Passive appreciation/support of media is not the same as actively engaging or making a purchasing decision.

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017
Had to use the Windows Explorer unzip, 7zip was giving me a bunch of error messages. Compatibility issue from still rocking Win7? I dunno.
Anyway, I like the duality from having the flying car and on foot play styles. I tend not to enjoy games where you don't control something directly throughout the whole game, like in FTL. But here, you can actually move and shoot stuff. I think that, combined with the more thought out, strategic side, played in the map area is a better mix and suit to my personal taste. How common said preference is, I'm not really sure.
Regarding combat, from reading the description, I was expecting some kind of Crypt of the Necrodancer style gameplay where one would press the fire key at the music beat, but that didn't seem like the case at all. It took me quite a while to realize I could just fire whenever I wanted, apart from the gun "heating" mechanic. Hitting targets was a bit difficult at first, even with the auto aim, but I think I got the hang of it after a bit. I kept wishing for a dodge ability not unlike the Fish character from Nuclear Throne. Or, at the very least, some kind of movement related ability, since dodging projectiles was a tad difficult since we move somewhat slowly. Since you can be unable to see the whole arena, I wonder if it may become a bit too hectic, with shots coming from enemies away from your field of vision.
It would be neat to get some different abilities throughout your map exploration, either adding them to your arsenal or by choosing which ones you want replaced.
I got to the boss building, but never managed to reach it due to having lost a lot of health on the way there. Couldn't figure out how to kill the shield generating enemies though, shots would just bounce back cause of the shields or just go completely through them. So whenever they showed up, I couldn't progress any more.
Flying the car around in the combat encounter zone seemed a bit unnecessary, since the only on foot explorable area was the actual combat building. But I suppose you may want to include some secret or extra stuff in the game that rewards exploration.
I realize it's still pretty early on, hopefully this feedback can be of some use. Keep up the good work.
Weird :) But thank you so much for the feedback!

Yep, combat is wholly driven by the music, but I've decided not to go the "rhythm game" way of "click on the beat to shoot/move/whatever". That locks out too many people that struggle with it, often gets frustrating and IMO a bit repetitive, especially with faster weapons. Also, it simply doesn't sound as good if the main instrument of a track is slightly off-beat most of the time because you don't constantly hit the beat perfectly, which would be the case for most players. Instead, it's still a big advantage to listen to the music and use it to understand enemy attack patterns, trap patterns, when your weapon will shoot, and generally to "get into the combat flow".
I'm still figuring out if it makes sense to add a couple of optional "expert weapons" at some point that allow that kind of beat-clicking gameplay, or maybe in a higher difficulty mode, but as of now, the main weapons will probably stay "hold to shoot".
What I'm definitely planning is more gameplay stuff that is paired with the music. Like, grenades you throw or red barrels you shoot that explode on the start of the next bar, so you have to be careful when to do it or otherwise they might damage you too. Enemies that shield themselves on the upbeat, remove the shield on the downbeat, so it's helpful to anticipate that short window where they are vulnerable. Stuff like that.
Was this a disappointment for you, or just "oh, expected something else but this is ok too"?

A dash ability is planned, but I'm not sure if that one should be instantly, or by holding down the button to dash on the next beat. The latter doesn't work as well with dashing as it does with shooting (usually if you want to dash it is because you're actively trying to avoid e.g. a projectile, so having to wait until the next beat is a deal-breaker), but allowing offbeat dashing might break the rhythm a bit.

I'm actually currently working on upgrades you get as combat encounter rewards, e.g. shooting dual projectiles, increased projectile auto-aiming, modified power shot etc. :) It's a bit inspired by Hades, where you choose where to go next based on the types of rewards you can expect in the next zones.

My main struggle currently is the usefulness of the hovercar as you state. Originally the idea was to have hovercar-only zones where you e.g. have some sort of music-puzzle that you solve by listening to and understanding the music; or resources to mine from floating rocks; or a short time trial checkpoint race. But I fear that is a bit out of scope and too different from the main shooter-y game.
So at the moment I have multiple solution ideas for this:
a) Move the world exploration out of the 3D map screen into the actual hovercar-flying-around gameplay, making it a bit more open world-ish, getting rid of the zones. You'd be able to fly from building to building, but still limited by the overall "progression" in the current run, i.e. you'd still only have 1-3 possible destination buildings to land on. The 3D map would still be there, but just to check where you are and what your possible destinations are, but not to travel around as you do now.
or b) Enable hovercar controlling in the 3D map screen, making it more of an "overworld" kind of screen. So instead of clicking on the nodes to travel to, you manually fly to them. I'd zoom the camera in a bit more and add more details to it so that it becomes more of a mix between the current hovercar-flying-around gameplay & the map screen. When you enter an encounter node, the actual gameplay zone loads as usual, but the hovercar automatically drops you onto the rooftop, removing the redundant "fly and land on the building" part.

Drawback of a) is that the buildings would have to be rather close to each other or it gets boring flying from building to building all the time as there is not much to do here. Also, constantly having to open the map to check where to fly next because there is no minimap.
Drawback of b) obviously is that there's no hovercar flying in the "real" game world, just on the overworld. Though I guess I have to set the game focus somewhere and that's where the hovercar draws the short straw.

Whew, wall of text. Anyways, thanks again for the feedback! If anybody else wants to try it, here's my original post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ho...ing-everythinging.90470/page-23#post-20931052 Would love to hear more feedback :)

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Honestly I think it depends on your game.

It's quite easy for someone to like/retweet a fun/awesome gif of a game - it's a lot harder for them to open their wallet when the time comes. Passive appreciation/support of media is not the same as actively engaging or making a purchasing decision.
Yeah you are right, I will use my Marketing brainpower elsewhere.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks to you I'm learning more :D

Delighted to hear that! :)

Wow, that is some quality, detailed feedback. Could I perhaps interest you in giving my own game a try? Please PM me if you're interested. :)

Whew, wall of text. Anyways, thanks again for the feedback! If anybody else wants to try it, here's my original post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ho...ing-everythinging.90470/page-23#post-20931052 Would love to hear more feedback :)

I'll try to give it a try soon-ish and post some feedback. Ideally today or tomorrow, but this weekend is turning out a bit crazy (and stressful).

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I've posted about our game Lightmatter a few times in here. We have been working on a new trailer for a long time and finally got to release it yesterday. It feels super nice with so much positive feedback on Reddit, Discord, Twitter, etc. :)

RHANITAN

Oct 25, 2017

finally got things fixed up enough that i can easily add new enemies without much hassle. Only took a few hours to plop in this skeleton after the animation was done.

May 23, 2019
cyberspace
Delighted to hear that! :)

Wow, that is some quality, detailed feedback. Could I perhaps interest you in giving my own game a try? Please PM me if you're interested. :)

I'll try to give it a try soon-ish and post some feedback. Ideally today or tomorrow, but this weekend is turning out a bit crazy (and stressful).

It's me again, I've notice that when I respawn my player (prefab) it doesn't have the gameObject assigned to the gameObject socket.
I have a Scene player gameObject, but when it gets destroyed I spawn the prefab one, the scene Player has everything in place and works fine, but the problem is that the Prefab player (respawn) doesn't have the gameObject to its socket and I must assign the gameObject manually instead of "respawn Player and assign everything to the respawned Player prefab".

I hope this will be last time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.