• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A bit more progress. I'm not sure how much more there will be.
IMG_20190430_145204_139.jpg

Not going to lie, that looks a bit impenetrable, but quite interesting too. I'm assuming it will be considerably easier to parse when it's moving. :)

Sep 7, 2018
Are there some ways I can contribute to a game dev group when I'm not program savvy and I just hate coding and find it boring? I had a group last year and I organized the team, drew out some concepts for a level and found some free sprites to use, but I mostly felt like my contribution was minimal. All of the people ended up leaving the group when we barely just got a placeholder character made with a simple jump animation and a platform.

I really want to get this made and finished and so I cna be a step closer to my long term goals. I just feel confused now on how to go about it. I would do everything myself, but my art skills are limited and I don't think I have a way to draw digitally or scan in stuff anyway, coding bores the shit out of me and even when people suggest stuff that supposedly doesn't use code like Ren'py or Game Maker that still feels like coding to me and then I start to lose interest, and I tried for a while to compose my own music, but nothing sounds right to me. The instruments always sound off in a way I can't quite articulate.

I just know I have to get something made so I can go to the next level.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's been... Quite a long time since I've posted in here. For a variety of reasons (Like the pixel artist I was working with completely vanishing from the internet), I've started learning Blender and 3D modeling (Honestly should have started a long time ago) and am looking to redo JAEGER's character sprites through a 3D-to-2D pipeline once I'm up to speed once I'm up to speed on creating and rigging decent low-poly character models.

In any case, does anyone have some advice/know some good resources on the process involved. I've already given the Gamasutra article on Dead Cells' methods a read, just curious if there's any other info around on this practice.

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
This might not seem like an achievement to most, but it's taken me so long to work out the Blender > UE4 animation pipeline... and that's just a simple hinge. No idea what fun awaits when I try biped skeletons...

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Are there some ways I can contribute to a game dev group when I'm not program savvy and I just hate coding and find it boring? I had a group last year and I organized the team, drew out some concepts for a level and found some free sprites to use, but I mostly felt like my contribution was minimal. All of the people ended up leaving the group when we barely just got a placeholder character made with a simple jump animation and a platform.

I really want to get this made and finished and so I cna be a step closer to my long term goals. I just feel confused now on how to go about it. I would do everything myself, but my art skills are limited and I don't think I have a way to draw digitally or scan in stuff anyway, coding bores the shit out of me and even when people suggest stuff that supposedly doesn't use code like Ren'py or Game Maker that still feels like coding to me and then I start to lose interest, and I tried for a while to compose my own music, but nothing sounds right to me. The instruments always sound off in a way I can't quite articulate.

I just know I have to get something made so I can go to the next level.
Can you be more specific on what you can or want to do? For example, level design, story writing, etc.?

Sep 7, 2018
Can you be more specific on what you can or want to do? For example, level design, story writing, etc.?
I am very adept at story writing. I was looking tinto doing that as a career in the industry until I found out that almost no studios hire writers like that, but I'm also interested in level design too. I had lots of fun making stuff in LittleBigPlanet and would've done the same with Mario Maker and Dreams if I had the chance to play them.

Really, I'm most interested in writing and level design.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Working on my Farming RPG, but really in doubt if I should build a crafting system that checks if you have a recipe "Unlocked", or a grid-like Minecraft system where if you know the recipe, you can make the stuff.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Working on my Farming RPG, but really in doubt if I should build a crafting system that checks if you have a recipe "Unlocked", or a grid-like Minecraft system where if you know the recipe, you can make the stuff.
The thing I personally like about minecraft is that the same ingredients can be used to make different things depending on how they are placed. If you went with a grid-like system would your game have enough recipes to utilize this or would it mostly just be used as an unlock method?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing I personally like about Minecraft is that the same ingredients can be used to make different things depending on how they are placed. If you went with a grid-like system would your game have enough recipes to utilize this or would it mostly just be used as an unlock method?

My idea (Long term, course, I'm still learning) is for the game to have items you can only craft on a "station" (Like cooking) and others you could craft on the field, like a torch. Wouldnt it be cool if the game "taught" you recipes in the form of item placements in the grid (Like Minecraft) but an experienced player could skip that and just make the item since they know how the system works?

My fear is that this only complicates things unnecessarily.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might not seem like an achievement to most, but it's taken me so long to work out the Blender > UE4 animation pipeline... and that's just a simple hinge. No idea what fun awaits when I try biped skeletons...

Nice, I sympathize with how weird that particular pipeline is. The most ridiculous thing I remember running into was an animation coming in at a weird scale for no apparent reason, and the workaround was renaming the skeleton in Blender to anything but the default name of "Armature". I don't know if that's fixed by now, but I always rename the skeleton these days.

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
The most ridiculous thing I remember running into was an animation coming in at a weird scale for no apparent reason, and the workaround was renaming the skeleton in Blender to anything but the default name of "Armature". I don't know if that's fixed by now, but I always rename the skeleton these days.
Yup. It's ridiculous. Had a bunch of different issues here and there, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
My idea (Long term, course, I'm still learning) is for the game to have items you can only craft on a "station" (Like cooking) and others you could craft on the field, like a torch. Wouldnt it be cool if the game "taught" you recipes in the form of item placements in the grid (Like Minecraft) but an experienced player could skip that and just make the item since they know how the system works?

My fear is that this only complicates things unnecessarily.
It could definitely be cool but what would be best for experienced players? Will it be fun to craft the 10th torch that way or tedious? Would players starting a new save game miss out on unlocking recipes and have a worse experience without that progression?

For new players, how do you plan to teach new recipes? Is it pure trial and error or are the layouts shown at some point in the game?

If you're new to game dev it might be wise to go with the simplest option. It's incredibly important to keep the game scoped within your means and as you said it can help make the game less complicated to play.

My medieval rpg is progressing.

YviJjmD.png

This is a representation of the game's world. The 512x512 map has salt water, fresh water, flat land, mountains, and forests. Internally the game stores this as a byte array and the visual representation is only used for debugging. Eventually the map will be procedurally generated so every game can be unique but I have not set that up yet.

This map is used for absolute things like making sure ships never leave the water.

128x128 float arrays are used for biomass, treemass, temperature, and humidity. Biomass and treemass are procedurally calculated and grow throughout the game. Animals and human NPCs consume them so in general things are in equilibrium. If too many animals exist then they consume too much of the biomass and starve, allowing the biomass to reform. It would be incredibly impractical for me to simulate every single individual organism in existence so instead I use this system for the bottom end of the food chain.

I also decided to not use Skyrim style skill progression. Instead of NPCs increasing skills through experience, natural selection makes NPCs gravitate towards professions that fit their skills. This is a much better system since otherwise either older NPCs would always be OP or skills would have to degrade with time.

The game is all about social connections and physical items so this really fits for players too. However since it can be fun to progress like a traditional RPG, I'm adding an optional "blessed by a god" feature. With this enabled the player is differentiated from NPCs and can improve their skills beyond reasonable levels.

EDT:
D5_gCvKV4AAXmiV.png:large

Simulating forest growth. Glitch is making seeds only blow northwest but it makes a cool image.

Last edited:

nofxboy1234

Nov 8, 2017
Hi everyone, keep up the good work you're doing! Really enjoy seeing people's progress! I'm busy with a game of my own but it's still very early :).

I was wondering if anyone knows of a link where someone showed a visualization of Bloodborne's hurtboxes and hitboxes?
I remember seeing it ages ago but can't for the life of me find it now haha.

Deleted member 48390

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Hello all!

The full prototype will be released in a few days / late May. It will be available on itch io, for free.
Can't wait you be able to play it, hope some good feedbacks.

giphy.gif

I will keep you in touch.

Deleted member 48390

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Incredible atmosphere, you really nailed it.
Thanks! Believe me when I say it means A LOT to us.

It's been a year we are working real hard on this during our free time (we are a 6 members team, 1 programmer, 1 scenarist / GD, 1 music composer, 2 3D modelers, and myself doing everything else...) and when someone says they like it, it really keep us working on this.

But man, i really need a rest after launch! XD

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I haven't posted in a while, but time to break that! So I've been in the process of finalizing a lot of stuff, like art, making some character sprites look better, adding some polish where I can (like screen shakes, giving the viewport a bit of a makeover etc) and sorting out the Steamworks process so I can finally get this labor of love out to you all for free! Still hoping to get this out around August and I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to meet that goal.

wphfMRs.png

Eyruww2.png

kQ7btcE.png

07mDTr6.png

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't posted in a while, but time to break that! So I've been in the process of finalizing a lot of stuff, like art, making some character sprites look better, adding some polish where I can (like screen shakes, giving the viewport a bit of a makeover etc) and sorting out the Steamworks process so I can finally get this labor of love out to you all for free! Still hoping to get this out around August and I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to meet that goal.

Loving the character designs! Very expressive too!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm needing some advice, as I have done a silly and am not sure how to progress from here.

To cut a long story short: I didn't think about the issues regarding scaling between resolutions (i.e 720p is not half of 1080p) and now I have got myself into a sticky situation where I have to make a choice:
  1. Maintain the "pixel perfect" visual fidelity on all resolutions, but have the actual visible play area represented by the camera differ between certain resolutions
  2. Make the visible play area consistent across different resolutions, but do not maintain "pixel perfect" scaling.
At the moment, I'm inclined to go for option one, mostly because my "target" resolution (i.e, the one I'm designing for, 1080p) would be one that couldn't have PP Scaling and whilst the end result is not awful, it definitely doesn't look as "clean" as I would like.

I've taken some screenshots of my "Option one" solution, so you guys can see the difference in visible play area. Do you think this is an acceptable difference, or is it too jarring? Being able to see "more" of the level will make the game easier in some situations, but I don't know if it would cause that much of an issue. (Ignore the slight "clipping" in the background, that;s a simple fix by extending the tilemap for those bits)

720p Image said:

1080p Image said:

(I'm not too bothered about people using resolutions that aren't 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll probably just add borders + letterboxing for them at a later date)

Thanks for your help!

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
We're pretty much now done on the entire moveset of our character. This week we added the new summons for the first playable and boy it's so much fun. There's still some minor tweaks here and there but i can say combat is like 99.9% done. We got some prep to do for a con in june, and then we can finally move on to new content

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm needing some advice, as I have done a silly and am not sure how to progress from here.

To cut a long story short: I didn't think about the issues regarding scaling between resolutions (i.e 720p is not half of 1080p) and now I have got myself into a sticky situation where I have to make a choice:
  1. Maintain the "pixel perfect" visual fidelity on all resolutions, but have the actual visible play area represented by the camera differ between certain resolutions
  2. Make the visible play area consistent across different resolutions, but do not maintain "pixel perfect" scaling.
At the moment, I'm inclined to go for option one, mostly because my "target" resolution (i.e, the one I'm designing for, 1080p) would be one that couldn't have PP Scaling and whilst the end result is not awful, it definitely doesn't look as "clean" as I would like.

I've taken some screenshots of my "Option one" solution, so you guys can see the difference in visible play area. Do you think this is an acceptable difference, or is it too jarring? Being able to see "more" of the level will make the game easier in some situations, but I don't know if it would cause that much of an issue. (Ignore the slight "clipping" in the background, that;s a simple fix by extending the tilemap for those bits)

(I'm not too bothered about people using resolutions that aren't 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll probably just add borders + letterboxing for them at a later date)

Thanks for your help!

This is one of those million dollar questions that has no golden hammer solution. There's incidentally a third option which is adding black (or decorated) borders: this preserves the play area and the pixel ratio, at the expense of, well... having borders. When it comes to pixel art in multiple resolutions regarding pixel art, it's pretty much always "same-sized pixels, same-sized play area, use whole screen: choose two".

My game's native resolution is 480x270. This scales perfectly to 1080p (4x), but scales imperfectly to most other resolutions, including Switch's undocked 720p. I've gone with the "variable play area" solution, which tries to go for the closest multiple (whether it exceeds or undershoots the perfect ratio for the screen resolution). The disadvantages of having a reduced screen space aren't dramatic because the player can't be hurt from offscreen elements (enemies can't attack while offscreen, and there's no enemy contact damage). In your game's case, I can imagine a bigger advantage from seeing more of the play area, so it might be more of an issue.

Oct 27, 2017

wphfMRs.png

Eyruww2.png

kQ7btcE.png

07mDTr6.png

Oooh, so many black characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.