• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptDrunkBear

Jan 15, 2019
One last gif.... Before release! I'm looking to release in about four weeks, with three airplanes and two maps! Is it cool if I eventually link the release on this thread? or is that against resetera rules?

This is the C-37 Duck, a cargo and resupply plane. It can heal itself and other players, and speed up their movement. The game itself is an arcade multiplayer flight game, where various airplanes go head-to-head and fight it out. Here's an older gif of the game in action: https://gfycat.com/DistortedLinearChevrotain

WWUZ7zO.gif

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One last gif.... Before release! I'm looking to release in about four weeks, with three airplanes and two maps! Is it cool if I eventually link the release on this thread? or is that against resetera rules?
As far as I understand, the general rule is that you can't make threads to promote your own stuff, but you can post in relevant threads (which this thread extremely is).

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's really not much info out there about sprite fonts in UE4 :(

man, this would look super Alone in the Dark with a pixel gradient and that's something I wouldn't have thought of at all

Are you handling the low resolution in a post-process filter, out of curiosity? I was experimenting with getting a nice low-fi look in UE4 a few months ago for shits, after realizing that Dusk is kinda flawed in this respect due to mipmap usage distances.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Did a big ol update today, both a video one and on the website.

Bit frustrated by the video as I had trouble getting and putting together good footage this time around, but I'm glad I do these so I can always compare with my older footage

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Did a big ol update today, both a video one and on the website.

Bit frustrated by the video as I had trouble getting and putting together good footage this time around, but I'm glad I do these so I can always compare with my older footage

I had no clue you could embed a Youtube vid on a tweet. This changes everything. :O

Edit. Oh, wait, you can't. It just displays it like that on Era. :(

Still looking amazing, wow. This can't be more welcome since Vanillaware pretty muc don't seem to be making games anymore. :P

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Development on Punchline! is going great, I'm actually planning to release it at some point in the summer. Free, of course :)

Other than that, I've kinda taken a break these past three days to just muck about before I get back to the grind, been playing Sekiro for the most part and finally got that done. I've also been tryna brush up on my TecH aRt sKiLLZZZZZ.

So, one thing I've always been curious about when it comes to NPR is how anime/NPR games get this sort of highlight/inner glow effect on their character models. I think the most striking example of this would be Persona 5. Look at the top of Joker's hair and the edges of his character model. It's really reminiscent of how anime handles this sort of thing. I think the first time I saw this kind of phong shader effect in any 3D game is Viewtiful Joe. TF2 is a close second too.

XLxNVaX.png

So yeah, for the most part I've been trying to replicate this effect and I think I got it down to a T. Made a few vids of it in action. It's actually surprisingly easy too which is the worst part as I was overthinking this wayyyyyy too much. Made the effect super exaggerated on Toga for demonstration purposes on a traditionally proportioned model. I think it looks really nice when you pair it with a basic cel-shader. (Ignore the planes on Toga's hair and sweater, I did this all in the Eevee engine and I still don't know how transparency works in it so yeah...).

Z2gkhYK.png

You could bring this into any game engine and adjust the colour of the glow/highlight on the fly based off a few parameters. Make it whatever color you want or base it on the lighting you've got set up so it all matches and is modified at runtime. An example here, notice how the glow/highlight is now purple to match how the environment is lit?

rRLtvhN.jpg

All you gotta do now is pair it with an outline and it looks grand.

efm7PEE.png

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, folks. I'll leave you with this...

Still looking amazing, wow. This can't be more welcome since Vanillaware pretty muc don't seem to be making games anymore. :P
Coulda sworn we just got a 13 Sentinels Prologue 🤔

Last edited:

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Are you handling the low resolution in a post-process filter, out of curiosity? I was experimenting with getting a nice low-fi look in UE4 a few months ago for shits, after realizing that Dusk is kinda flawed in this respect due to mipmap usage distances.
Nah I'm just forcing rendering at 640x360 and upscaling.

Working on some new bits and bobs...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i have commitment problems. here i was trucking along on my shmup and now all i can think about is some kind of theoretical magical girl delinquent school mix of yakuza and bully, and some kind of fantasy guild minigame based off cabaret club in yakuza zero and kiwami 2

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nah I'm just forcing rendering at 640x360 and upscaling.

Working on some new bits and bobs...

Really loving the retro PS1-inspired aesthetic you got going on, man. First-person too is a mega plus. Nice job.

Texture work especially looks real mint, is there anything specific you're doing in that department to achieve the old-school look aside from low texture res and nearest neighbor filtering? Is it all hand-done a la MGS1 or are you using something like Substance Designer? Everything looks great when you get super up close which is why I'm curious, lol.

I kinda wanna try my hand at making some with a low-fi aesthetic soon, specifically from a first-person perspective and as an art test for a potential new project, so any advice is appreciated. :D

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
i have commitment problems. here i was trucking along on my shmup and now all i can think about is some kind of theoretical magical girl delinquent school mix of yakuza and bully, and some kind of fantasy guild minigame based off cabaret club in yakuza zero and kiwami 2
The latter two games sound like a huge time commitment, so if you're having issues with a shmup then those will probably eventually carry over to a new project. One of the things that used to help me stay focused was working on a game jam a couple times a year, so I could release some pent up energy. But I guess if that or something else doesn't help, then it comes down to a question of whether you place a higher value on finishing your work or enjoying the creative process. And there's no shame in just enjoying the process and moving to something else when you're ready to attack a new set of ideas.

Also I want to see more people making magical girl school games like I am lmao

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Really loving the retro PS1-inspired aesthetic you got going on, man. First-person too is a mega plus. Nice job.

Texture work especially looks real mint, is there anything specific you're doing in that department to achieve the old-school look aside from low texture res and nearest neighbor filtering? Is it all hand-done a la MGS1 or are you using something like Substance Designer? Everything looks great when you get super up close which is why I'm curious, lol.
Thanks, glad you like it! This is my first real stab at 3D, so I'm still finding my feet.

Regarding process, I'm mostly using photosource for basic materials and depending on the size of the model, painting or doing pixel art. in conjunction with the basic materials.

You can see that in the spade as an example...
OzCrvF6.png

And then a mix of approaches here...
jGp0uyL.png

• The fuel cans are using a super basic unwrap and some low res pixel painting
  • The metal fences are just a tiled metal material that I generated in photshop and touched up with pixel painting
  • The ground is a photosourced texture tiled with triplanar mapping
  • The crates are entirely UV unwrapped and are pixel art with some photoshop noise thrown on top to better blend with the photosourced textures
  • Again the duckboards are UV unwrapped and done with a pixel art approach, with a photosourced noise overlay
All (well... most) of the models/textures maintain a consistent texel density. I'm still finding my feet. So far there hasn't been a one size fits all approach, it's different depending on the size and complexity of the model.

Hope that helps :)

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i don't really want to make either (well... maybe the cabaret club) right now, but I do want to jot down ideas

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks, glad you like it! This is my first real stab at 3D, so I'm still finding my feet.

Regarding process, I'm mostly using photosource for basic materials and depending on the size of the model, painting or doing pixel art. in conjunction with the basic materials.

You can see that in the spade as an example...
OzCrvF6.png

And then a mix of approaches here...
jGp0uyL.png

• The fuel cans are using a super basic unwrap and some low res pixel painting
  • The metal fences are just a tiled metal material that I generated in photshop and touched up with pixel painting
  • The ground is a photosourced texture tiled with triplanar mapping
  • The crates are entirely UV unwrapped and are pixel art with some photoshop noise thrown on top to better blend with the photosourced textures
  • Again the duckboards are UV unwrapped and done with a pixel art approach, with a photosourced noise overlay
All (well... most) of the models/textures maintain a consistent texel density. I'm still finding my feet. So far there hasn't been a one size fits all approach, it's different depending on the size and complexity of the model.

Hope that helps :)
Wow! Thanks for the very detailed response, I'll take it all to heart!

One question, though. You say that it's a mix of photosource and pixel painting. I know this varies between the mesh you're working on, but is the pixel painting process generally a time-consuming one? Also for something like the fuel can, how do you achieve that texture effect in Photoshop? Do you just draw with the pencil tool until it looks all noisy? I kind of want to get better at giving realistic pixel textures that hand-painted feel that you've done but I've got genuinely no idea where to start or what I should do.

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I've been iterating on my grass, skybox, and added fog:

- I'm now using 2 scrolling noise textures instead of a simple sin wave to animate the grass.
- I got rid of the old stock-photo on my skybox and scroll/blend 4 cloud textures instead.
- Added simple linear fog as a post-process shader.

Edit:
Updated video

Last edited:

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
It always feels so good to be "finishing off" a level, that sense of passing a milestone is really motivating! Also if anyone spots the super obscure reference I will be incredibly surprised!

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, guys, fanatical launched this bundle, and i'm curious. Does someone here use this tool? How is perfomance of games created with that? Are the game sizes too big? thanks in advance.

Sean Noonan

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Wow! Thanks for the very detailed response, I'll take it all to heart!

One question, though. You say that it's a mix of photosource and pixel painting. I know this varies between the mesh you're working on, but is the pixel painting process generally a time-consuming one? Also for something like the fuel can, how do you achieve that texture effect in Photoshop? Do you just draw with the pencil tool until it looks all noisy? I kind of want to get better at giving realistic pixel textures that hand-painted feel that you've done but I've got genuinely no idea where to start or what I should do.
No problem!

Pixel painting can be time consuming if I don't have a clear picture in mind, but otherwise because I'm working at such low resolutions, it doesn't take too long, and it's not too difficult either. I guess if I was working at an even lower resolution it would be a lot faster, but then I'd probably have to lean even more on artistry as each pixel would become even more important :o

Here's something I was messing with...

OP
OP
Popstar

Popstar

Oct 25, 2017
So, guys, fanatical launched this bundle, and i'm curious. Does someone here use this tool? How is perfomance of games created with that? Are the game sizes too big? thanks in advance.

I've never really heard anything positive about it. Seems they haven't been keeping it up-to-date with Unity.

Also — in case anyone misses this — it's not a standalone engine.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/253370/Axis_Game_Factorys_AGFPRO_v3/
Just to be CLEAR – AGFPRO is NOT a game engine. It is literally made using the Unity game engine. AGFPRO is a real-time, RAPID Game Environment Development Toolkit and is made to be used in concert with Unity Free and Pro for level/map creation. – However, AGFPRO does NOT need Unity to run or create levels/maps.

Oct 25, 2017
Did some spritework. Trying out Game Maker Studio 2 and trying to learn some coding. Any good sources for GML would be nice.
vqi908.gif

2r591uh.png

348ss49.gif

Last edited:

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
Still very much WIP, but here's an early preview of the new combat FX for additional weighty effects, and instant player feedback.

InfamousVastFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif

There's still tons to do until it's all done (currently working on an overlaid circular health bar when getting hit on top of the character aura changing color, and additional moon spirit animations for the enemy for added variance and reactivity to player actions), but overall this is the direction this'll head towards for the foreseeable future... until I change it all over again, I suppose.

mullfuchs

Jan 29, 2019
Still very much WIP, but here's an early preview of the new combat FX for additional weighty effects, and instant player feedback.

There's still tons to do until it's all done (currently working on an overlaid circular health bar when getting hit on top of the character aura changing color, and additional moon spirit animations for the enemy for added variance and reactivity to player actions), but overall this is the direction this'll head towards for the foreseeable future... until I change it all over again, I suppose.

Yooo this looks incredible!

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017

It already looks like it feels good, I think that's a good sign!

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone used Unity with HTC Vive? I only have an Oculus Rift and this link has a few mistakes with that so I'm slightly worried the info isn't fully correct for Vive either.

I'm about a week away from finishing up the PC port of my game. Unity has been a nightmare to work with in this last stretch and everything has taken 10 times longer than expected. It's a wonderful engine when you're doing something its way but it's horrible when you have really specific requirements.

I've been iterating on my grass, skybox, and added fog:

- I'm now using 2 scrolling noise textures instead of a simple sin wave to animate the grass.
- I got rid of the old stock-photo on my skybox and scroll/blend 4 cloud textures instead.
- Added simple linear fog as a post-process shader.

Edit:
Updated video

Your engine is looking good and it's nice to see your progress.

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

It looks really good!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

really cool.

what's the largest enemies you plan to have? As in like -- dimensionally large? Using this many frames and using traditional frame animation, those texture sheets will become yooooog. I don't know enough to know whether that'll be a problem on lower end hardware, but it's something I worried about (perhaps irrationally) when I was doing traditional animation.

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
It looks really good!

Thanks <3

really cool.

what's the largest enemies you plan to have? As in like -- dimensionally large? Using this many frames and using traditional frame animation, those texture sheets will become yooooog. I don't know enough to know whether that'll be a problem on lower end hardware, but it's something I worried about (perhaps irrationally) when I was doing traditional animation.

Ah, that's a great question. For regular enemies, I'm planning to keep them small to mid-sized (basically, 2/3 times the character height at most). Most of the big sized enemies will be bosses, with current plans to have some reaching full screen proportions. For these, I'll use multi-part compositing, basically slice them up into lots of smaller, different bits all animated separately (but designed as a whole) - in the end, it'll count as having a dozen smaller enemies, which will be no different from regular level conditions. It's something I wasn't sure about, but since I was lucky enough to work on Indivisible where they use this technique to great effect, I think I've gleaned a few things as to how I could go about it and hopefully get it working too. At least, that's the current plan, since I haven't started prototyping said bosses yet, that'll be after the games festival in two weeks!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The new parallax layers make it look incredible, holy shit. I know it's a cliche to say so but it really looks like a high-quality cartoon now.

If you or anyone else hasn't seen it yet, correojon pointed me towards this video and it has led me to implement a lot of stuff that improved the feel of my game enormously. Don't be fooled by the name; screem shake is only one of like thirty things demonstrated in the video. It's also quite entertaining to watch. :)

Camille_

Oct 26, 2017
Angoulême, France
The new parallax layers make it look incredible, holy shit. I know it's a cliche to say so but it really looks like a high-quality cartoon now.

If you or anyone else hasn't seen it yet, correojon pointed me towards this video and it has led me to implement a lot of stuff that improved the feel of my game enormously. Don't be fooled by the name; screem shake is only one of like thirty things demonstrated in the video. It's also quite entertaining to watch. :)

Thanks :-) I'm pretty sure I've seen that video a few times already but I'll give it a few more rounds, having as much juice as possible is a good idea in my book!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks :-) I'm pretty sure I've seen that video a few times already but I'll give it a few more rounds, having as much juice as possible is a good idea in my book!

It does seem like the kind of video that everyone in game dev probably has already seen a million times, hahah. I'm terrible at researching so I only saw it last month (and only because I was instructed to :D).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm reworking the strategic layer of my game after finally getting all the pieces to mentally fit together last week. First is fog of war:

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Getting back into the flow again

I'm liking the colours and shapes here! Out of interest, is there parallax scrolling and animated backgrounds?

The problem is there are so MANY references it's hard to know which you're referring to!
Haha, fair point; the one I'm thinking of is very closely related to my Era avatar!

While I'm here, I'll also share my latest alpha trailer; 4 worlds down, 7 to go!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I wouldn't consider myself a level designer at all, in fact this is my first time designing anything of the sort, but yeah, I've been super hard at work these past two days to get a super basic preliminary block out done for the "main location" of my next project. The basic premise of this is that it's a first-person game set in a restaurant. Day in day out, you perform typical tasks like cleaning the joint, dealing with pests, serving customers etc while you get into dumb hijinks with your co-workers. It's supposed to have this sort of slice-of-life sitcom feel to it, very light-hearted, dumb, goofy and fun. I've always been enamoured with the idea of setting an entire game in a single location.

One of the main people I respect in game dev - Warren Spector - spoke of the idea of the "one city block game" in that he'd set a game in a single city block or building and attempt to simulate it perfectly with all of its people, mantelpieces and cockroaches. I vehemently believe in the idea of smaller, deeper game worlds chock full of detail (think Kamurocho from Yakuza) and I kinda want to achieve the same thing here. Emphasis on a smaller scale world while being able to interact with a large, varied cast. It's also a lot more manageable of a project as a solo dev. I haven't properly decided on an engine or anything yet but I'll probably work with UE4 here. I'm just way more comfortable with it and blueprints than I am with Unity.

Anyways, here's an overhead look at the restaurant and a super quick fly through in Blender. I use the term "block out" here but this is extremely basic and none of the assets in this will actually be used, this is more of a visual reference that'll be used for when I start work on creating the modular assets to build the actual thing in-engine. It's also a nice visual thing I can keep at the back of my head for when I imagine how the game will be played ...i'm not the only one that does this right...?

LQW1J1f.png

49QnJgx.png

I'm hoping to conduct a proper, comprehensive art test once I'm done with Punchline! For now though, here's a small modular floor tile and a box I textured in Photoshop cuz why not.

eftrvNq.png

l39bV2O.png

It's seriously great seeing everyone's output in this thread. There's so many talented people here. I've said this before and I'll say it again, this is the most blessed thread on Era.

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wouldn't consider myself a level designer at all, in fact this is my first time designing anything of the sort, but yeah, I've been super hard at work these past two days to get a super basic preliminary block out done for the "main location" of my next project. The basic premise of this is that it's a first-person game set in a restaurant. Day in day out, you perform typical tasks like cleaning the joint, dealing with pests, serving customers etc while you get into dumb hijinks with your co-workers. It's supposed to have this sort of slice-of-life sitcom feel to it, very light-hearted, dumb, goofy and fun. I've always been enamoured with the idea of setting an entire game in a single location.

One of the main people I respect in game dev - Warren Spector - spoke of the idea of the "one city block game" in that he'd set a game in a single city block or building and attempt to simulate it perfectly with all of its people, mantelpieces and cockroaches. I vehemently believe in the idea of smaller, deeper game worlds chock full of detail (think Kamurocho from Yakuza) and I kinda want to achieve the same thing here. Emphasis on a smaller scale world while being able to interact with a large, varied cast. It's also a lot more manageable of a project as a solo dev. I haven't properly decided on an engine or anything yet but I'll probably work with UE4 here. I'm just way more comfortable with it and blueprints than I am with Unity.

Anyways, here's an overhead look at the restaurant and a super quick fly through in Blender. I use the term "block out" here but this is extremely basic and none of the assets in this will actually be used, this is more of a visual reference that'll be used for when I start work on creating the modular assets to build the actual thing in-engine. It's also a nice visual thing I can keep at the back of my head for when I imagine how the game will be played ...i'm not the only one that does this right...?

LQW1J1f.png

49QnJgx.png

I'm hoping to conduct a proper, comprehensive art test once I'm done with Punchline! For now though, here's a small modular floor tile and a box I textured in Photoshop cuz why not.

eftrvNq.png

l39bV2O.png

It's seriously great seeing everyone's output in this thread. There's so many talented people here. I've said this before and I'll say it again, this is the most blessed thread on Era.

This looks extremely promising and I'm always for cozier, non-violent games (not that I have an issue with violent ones, but variety is the spice of life). One of my favorite games is a cooking game (Ore not Ryouri for the PSX).

As for "picturing in your head how the game plays", I've said this before, but making a game has let me truly understand what sculptors mean when they say "the sculpture is there, I just remove the excess stone". I often have the game entirely pictured in my mind and it's only a matter of (almost mechanically) translating that vision to reality. Sometimes things don't work out as I expected, or I have (or am given) an idea for a mechanic that fits well on the whole, which changes the vision, but on the whole I can at all times paint a very vivid picture in my mind of what the current "target" is. I'm assuming that's how most everyone does it, because otherwise how do you know what you need to do next? How do you figure out what changes would be a net positive or negative?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This looks extremely promising and I'm always for cozier, non-violent games (not that I have an issue with violent ones, but variety is the spice of life).
Absolutely! From a marketing standpoint, I feel the whole premise is alone for my game to stand on its own two feet but more importantly, there's a distinct lack of more small-scale, nonviolent games where you just do menial stuff day-in, day-out. I'm only 20 but I've been a huge fan of life simulation games ever since I could remember. I'd always play The Sims 2 on the family computer and end the day off with Animal Crossing: Wild World in bed on my DS. I think there might be an appeal for these kind of short experiences that are focused more on just providing laughs and being a general joy to play with a cozy, pleasant atmosphere instead of your typical high-stakes dramatic end of the world type plot you find rehashed in a lot of games nowadays.

From a practical standpoint too, as it is very much scenario-based and episodic, I don't have to necessarily focus on weaving a super elaborate narrative of epic proportions with dozens of pages focused on world-building, y'know? It's all character-based at the end of the day which I feel is my strength when it comes to writing anyways. I sometimes fear that I get way too hung up with a certain concept which results in me getting nothing done whatsoever. This was the biggest problem I faced last year as I've always wanted to make a game but didn't really know where to start or what to do. I didn't know jack shit about 3D or coding or anything related to game development but I wanted to make something as it has always been a dream of mine. I was juggling a bunch of ideas around but I got nowhere as I was so preoccupied doing stuff like 'design documents' and just generally wasting time. At some point, I kinda just told myself to jump in and actually make something as if I sit on my ass all day, nothing is gonna get done, so it's generally easier for me to jump in with something a lot more simple and see where it takes me instead of planning. I'm not a planning person at all.

As for "picturing in your head how the game plays", I've said this before, but making a game has let me truly understand what sculptors mean when they say "the sculpture is there, I just remove the excess stone". I often have the game entirely pictured in my mind and it's only a matter of (almost mechanically) translating that vision to reality. Sometimes things don't work out as I expected, or I have (or am given) an idea for a mechanic that fits well on the whole, which changes the vision, but on the whole I can at all times paint a very vivid picture in my mind of what the current "target" is. I'm assuming that's how most everyone does it, because otherwise how do you know what you need to do next? How do you figure out what changes would be a net positive or negative?
I absolutely agree with all of this and it is how I operate too, which is why I'm reluctant to work with a team of people on projects like this. Having complete creative control over everything means that YOU as a creator will always know what you will do and how to achieve it, there's no need to justify it to someone by writing up a design document or whatever. When you introduce other people into the mix, you need to be able to communicate what that "target" is and that might not be the easiest thing to do.

I think someone spoke about project management a few pages back, honestly that's probably one of the easiest things (in my case anyways) as I always have some sort of "target" or "thing" to do in my mind. I don't need to bother using Trello or whatever to organize everything as I'm always doing something and I often find that it wastes time more than anything. Obviously this is just me speaking for myself as everyone is different.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Absolutely! From a marketing standpoint, I feel the whole premise is alone for my game to stand on its own two feet but more importantly, there's a distinct lack of more small-scale, nonviolent games where you just do menial stuff day-in, day-out. I'm only 20 but I've been a huge fan of life simulation games ever since I could remember. I'd always play The Sims 2 on the family computer and end the day off with Animal Crossing: Wild World in bed on my DS. I think there might be an appeal for these kind of short experiences that are focused more on just providing laughs and being a general joy to play with a cozy, pleasant atmosphere instead of your typical high-stakes dramatic end of the world type plot you find rehashed in a lot of games nowadays.

From a practical standpoint too, as it is very much scenario-based and episodic, I don't have to necessarily focus on weaving a super elaborate narrative of epic proportions with dozens of pages focused on world-building, y'know? It's all character-based at the end of the day which I feel is my strength when it comes to writing anyways. I sometimes fear that I get way too hung up with a certain concept which results in me getting nothing done whatsoever. This was the biggest problem I faced last year as I've always wanted to make a game but didn't really know where to start or what to do. I didn't know jack shit about 3D or coding or anything related to game development but I wanted to make something as it has always been a dream of mine. I was juggling a bunch of ideas around but I got nowhere as I was so preoccupied doing stuff like 'design documents' and just generally wasting time. At some point, I kinda just told myself to jump in and actually make something as if I sit on my ass all day, nothing is gonna get done, so it's generally easier for me to jump in with something a lot more simple and see where it takes me instead of planning. I'm not a planning person at all.

I absolutely agree with all of this and it is how I operate too, which is why I'm reluctant to work with a team of people on projects like this. Having complete creative control over everything means that YOU as a creator will always know what you will do and how to achieve it, there's no need to justify it to someone by writing up a design document or whatever. When you introduce other people into the mix, you need to be able to communicate what that "target" is and that might not be the easiest thing to do.

I think someone spoke about project management a few pages back, honestly that's probably one of the easiest things (in my case anyways) as I always have some sort of "target" or "thing" to do in my mind. I don't need to bother using Trello or whatever to organize everything as I'm always doing something and I often find that it wastes time more than anything. Obviously this is just me speaking for myself as everyone is different.

Agreed that getting something done ASAP is important not to get too hung up on theoreticals that never get implemented. Once you have something playable, no matter how small, it's much easier to iterate and refine. I kind of instinctively approach large tasks like that now, mentally breaking down in smaller tasks I can implement in a couple hours each that still result in a playable game. It's not always easy (especially with large, sweeping changes) but it's almost always possible.

And so very much agreed on the freedom of working solo. Not having to justify or even explain changes to anyone is the best part of solo development for me. This goes for both actual gameplay changes, and less visible things like refactoring. It does put more pressure and responsibility as you have to make all the decisions instead of being only a part of the decision-making machine, with nobody you can run them by, or question or veto a potentially bad decision, but that also forces one to improve, and become more confident in one's own decision-making abilities.

funkygallo

Oct 27, 2017
Hi,
first screen from my little new game Treasure of the Roman Empire (console & pc/mac)
From Sketch to render

totre.jpg

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Adding more layers of clouds. There's are wispier clouds on a plane above the camera and more defined+lit ones on the skybox:

I'm thinking I'll need to add some hand drawn ones behind to try and give it that grand "umph" that you see in some games.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Basic diorama highlighting the assets I've made so far, kind of trying to get a feel for a nice colour scheme, nothing's set in stone yet. Thoughts?

Y5rqvcW.png

4xRRJme.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.