• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

CNY stopped any hobbywork yesterday but i managed to knock out a basic combo chain system today. Probably should start thinking about refactoring the enemy (and bullet) code to make better use of parents... had to modify code that should have been common between enemies to get my prototype combo system working properly

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Here is another open source game engine called Irrlicht
List of projects that are using it

Another one that seems to be missing from the OP is OGRE.
One of my all time favourite games, Anarchy Online, has it's new engine made with this.

Both are C++ which is not too bad for making games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

CNY stopped any hobbywork yesterday but i managed to knock out a basic combo chain system today. Probably should start thinking about refactoring the enemy (and bullet) code to make better use of parents... had to modify code that should have been common between enemies to get my prototype combo system working properly

I like the ship and ship cannon's new sprites a lot, which is probably the most obvious thing to an outside observer. :)

heartscar

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone,

At the start of January I posted here about the development of our game, Rogue Reaper. Back then we got some cool feedback and responses and today I can say that the game has released this friday!

We have developed the game in 11 weeks and are getting a lot of great feedback and responses. We have had a lot of fun in this short and intensive time and are curious what you guys think of the game. So once again, all feedback is welcome.

The game can be downloaded for free on steam

Last time I did not have any gameplay to share. So here is a video that shows some aspects of the game.

Thanks in advance!

RazorbackDB

Oct 25, 2017
Started messing around with Godot, got a follow camera and character movement in no time, a little hacky but it works alright.

TerrificSilentErne-size_restricted.gif

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
So who here is doing their game in their spare time, and who is doing it as their full time gig?

I wanna make something, but it can be hard to find the time with a full time job, wife, and 10 month old son.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
So who here is doing their game in their spare time, and who is doing it as their full time gig?

I wanna make something, but it can be hard to find the time with a full time job, wife, and 10 month old son.
Spare time for me. I go in bursts.

about 6 mths ago I realized my combat in my 3rd person fantasy game wasn't very good. Went back to the drawing board. Decided to buy a gaming laptop to do development, but ended up just not touching the code for 4 mths.

Just started back up. Redid the combat and I am actually very happy with it.

Now I have to redo portions of combat/damage for my AI and I will be very close to being feature complete (but lots of bugs remaining)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

The game I'm working on basically consumes my spare time haha.

I can imagine devving in an environment like that can be pretty difficult, maybe try fitting it in as a few short bursts a week?

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Work 50+ hours a week not counting an hour commute with 3 children and my wife who is a full time student. I try to set aside an hour a day before bed to actually work on something and pretty use my commute to work through problems that I think I can handle in my head. So lots of slow progress but I feel when I finally do get to sit down and put something into motion it's usually a little more solid than something I would've done if I had all the time in then world. At least I tell myself that. Lol

diddykong13

Oct 29, 2017

Spare time for me - I'm out at work 8am til 8pm (doing coding...) so rarely feel like doing any dev once I get home. I mostly just spend my spare time at the weekends working on the game. Some weekends it's a lot of progress, others next-to-none. Makes it hard to plan out tasks really, but I just find having a few small tasks always ready in case I don't have enough time to tackle anything big helps me to keep making progress. All the little bits add up eventually!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

I'm very much a "spare time" game dev, balancing a 50hr per week job plus real life. Been doing it as a hobby for many years, learning by self teaching plus trial & error along the way.

I've never considered putting out something for sale as a real possibility due to the hobby status of my developing, but the company I work for just had more layoffs last month so now I'm going to actually work to put a game of my own up for sale on Steam. It won't be groundbreaking and it won't be fancy, but it will be a great learning experience and teaching tool. I've been dabbling in this too long, it's time to make the effort to realize something.

And maybe it will lead me into developing one of my more ambitious projects afterwards, heck it might even make me a tiny bit of money too! Doubtful, but hey who knows!

I'm full time right now. You guys doing this in your spare time are heroes.

No choice really, I have bills to pay so I can't leave my full time job. I'd love to do this full time but it wouldn't be responsible of me to do that just yet. Maybe someday, maybe.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
No choice really, I have bills to pay so I can't leave my full time job. I'd love to and do this every day, but it wouldn't be responsible of me to do that just yet. Maybe someday, maybe.

Oh, I didn't mean it as in "people who don't quit their jobs to make games", rather "people who take up game development in addition to their jobs" are heroes. In that sense, you do have a choice, and, well, most people choose not to. I myself took it up only after quitting my job for unrelated reasons and being able to support myself for a while with unemployment benefits. In retrospect I probably could (and should) have taken it up while I was still working, but I don't know if I'd been able to make any progress at all.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
hobby hobby hobby hobby, but i only pull probably 38 hrs a week or so at full time and no responsibilities atm. It is entirely seperate from my day job though so it's a good 'doing a completely different thing' kind of relaxation.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spare time here. Luckily most of the time game dev doesn't feel anything like what I do at the day job.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017

I'm doing it full time but I'm only making spare time profits. It's not a problem right now since I don't have a family to support but I wouldn't describe my current situation as sustainable.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm doing it full time but I'm only making spare time profits. It's not a problem right now since I don't have a family to support but I wouldn't describe my current situation as sustainable.

That's something I've been wondering, everyone in here seems to either be doing it in their spare time, or doing it full-time for the first time without the benefit of a prior title to fund themselves. Does anyone here work full-time in indie development in a sustainable capacity, i.e. has released games previously and is living off them, etc? Kind of paints a bleak picture if nobody does. :D

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working 24 hour weeks in web development, and maybe about 20 hours/week at home on my games. So far it works out pretty well, I can live from my job alone (no family to support... yet) and use the money from gamedev revenue for vacations + save up money for the future. Best case scenario, one of my games will someday make enough money for me to be able to quit my job and work on games full time, but realistically I don't think that will ever be the case haha.

Here is another open source game engine called Irrlicht
List of projects that are using it

Another one that seems to be missing from the OP is OGRE.
One of my all time favourite games, Anarchy Online, has it's new engine made with this.

Both are C++ which is not too bad for making games.
Hah, I actually tried both of them over ten years ago. Even uploaded a prototype in 2009 (which was, not surprisingly, a marble game): https://www.indiedb.com/games/thriceball

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone here work full-time in indie development in a sustainable capacity, i.e. has released games previously and is living off them, etc? Kind of paints a bleak picture if nobody does. :D

Sure it paints a bleak picture, the odds are against indie devs to "break out" in today's oversaturated market.

That doesn't mean the effort isn't worth attempting though.

Honestly I just love the creative aspect of developing games, always have. Most of my life I've done it just for kicks, not really trying to release anything worth paying for. Now that I've decided to make a real attempt it still doesn't mean it's going to end in success. Chances are my game will barely sell any copies, it probably won't even make back the $100 Steam application fee, let alone other costs!

But you know what? Even if its a stinker, I'll likely still keep working on my other projects afterwards. Not with any hope of becoming rich from it, but just for the fun of it.

That might seem bleak to some, but to me it still sounds like a lot of fun. :)

WishyWaters

Oct 26, 2017
By weekday I am a web developer. By evenings and weekends I'm a husband and dad. The kids are 3 and 12 months, so they easily demand most of my attention. After they are in bed I get a few hours to work on games. Our mornings start early so it's dangerous to stay up late programming though. About once a month I get a full day of development time to work through more complex and large tasks. It's slow, but only if you look at it day by day. When you look at my game today versus my game three months ago, it's much better.

Game development for me isn't just about the final product. I hope my game is eventually received well and enjoyed by many, but it's also a creative outlet. I get to write the stories that get stuck in my head and I get to program complicated math that I haven't used in years. It's very rewarding as a hobby and it lets me dream of going full time for myself. Doing the extra work now means that one day I might be able to give more of my time to my family. At the very least I get cool points when I tell my kids I'm a part time game developer, right?

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
That's something I've been wondering, everyone in here seems to either be doing it in their spare time, or doing it full-time for the first time without the benefit of a prior title to fund themselves. Does anyone here work full-time in indie development in a sustainable capacity, i.e. has released games previously and is living off them, etc? Kind of paints a bleak picture if nobody does. :D

At least in my case it's hard justifying the time it takes to make games. With my current numbers, I'd need to release a game every year to really be financially stable. I should be hitting that for the next few years but that's only because I have two games nearly finished.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
I'm lucky enough to be able to do it full spare time, kind of became my spare work.
Depending of the scope of your projects and your experience, the time used can vary greatly, from some days to many years.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I do what I can to work on JAEGER full-ish-time, but there's constant Drama I'm still trying to cut out of my life that takes away from Dev time, plus other recent unfortunate occurrences in my life have doubled-down the "Why don't you get a real job?" Bullshit from some rather unsupportive members of my family.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I just have a quick question if anyone is able to answer. I'm going to try making a game in Unity. It seems like there may be plenty of free or cheap art assets(I can make stuff but I always get stuck on texturing and give up).

I have Modo, but have never done animations in it, I want to do simple animations on pre rigged characters freely available and also some animations with simple rigs no mesh deformations. I'll cut the mesh's into pieces and animate in a similar way to Dreams. I'm wondering if Modo is good and easy to do that in or is it worth learning Blender to do it instead?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I just have a quick question if anyone is able to answer. I'm going to try making a game in Unity. It seems like there may be plenty of free or cheap art assets(I can make stuff but I always get stuck on texturing and give up).

I have Modo, but have never done animations in it, I want to do simple animations on pre rigged characters freely available and also some animations with simple rigs no mesh deformations. I'll cut the mesh's into pieces and animate in a similar way to Dreams. I'm wondering if Modo is good and easy to do that in or is it worth learning Blender to do it instead?

If you know Modo, then I'd stick with it. If you don't know any of them then you might be better served using Blender. But honestly I'd suggest not doing any of that and downloading some free models from the Asset Store, putting them in Unity, and playing around with them to see (1) if it's something you enjoy doing (2) the exact kind of thing you want/need or what you feel is missing. It will help motivate you to make the art and you won't waste time making a bunch of assets you'll end up having to redo when you change your game or realize you wanted to do a different method.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
If you know Modo, then I'd stick with it. If you don't know any of them then you might be better served using Blender. But honestly I'd suggest not doing any of that and downloading some free models from the Asset Store, putting them in Unity, and playing around with them to see (1) if it's something you enjoy doing (2) the exact kind of thing you want/need or what you feel is missing. It will help motivate you to make the art and you won't waste time making a bunch of assets you'll end up having to redo when you change your game or realize you wanted to do a different method.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I've done, downloaded a few assets from the Unity store, am going to play around with them. But I know I will need animations, I know I could never do the rigging part that would just be too tedious and frustrating(simple rigs maybe). I was mainly just wondering if there was an problems or flaws with Modos animation system. I've tried making games before, I'm trying to avoid the places where I've got stuck before.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Thanks for the reply. That's what I've done, downloaded a few assets from the Unity store, am going to play around with them. But I know I will need animations, I know I could never do the rigging part that would just be too tedious and frustrating(simple rigs maybe). I was mainly just wondering if there was an problems or flaws with Modos animation system. I've tried making games before, I'm trying to avoid the places where I've got stuck before.
Yeah, unfortunately I can't speak to Modo specifically. But there are fully rigged, textured, etc models on the Asset Store that you can go with right away, and if you make your models right you can even use Mixamo to do auto-rigging for you on your own models.

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK

Big post on this soon... been super busy on other stuff lately though.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Lunar New Year sales for GM2

i'm tempted to pick up a desktop licence for now, even if I don't plan to use GM2 until I'm done with my vertical slice. What do ya'll think? $79 USD for a desktop version... or $31 for a basic and additional 30% discount when upgrading to Desktop

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
Hello, plan to change the central area for an heliport and still undecided about the bottom road.

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
I did it guys! I just launched the Kickstarter campaign!

I'm so proud! Going well so far, but boy am I nervous...
You helped me out here and I wanted to thank you for your support!
Now 30 long days begin....

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

This is the second game I ever back. It's been so long (several years) that Kickstarter asked me to reset my password. :D Best of luck, you deserve it!

Edit: Quick question, assuming the stretch goal for Switch is reached, can we choose to get the digital copy on that platform instead of PC? The reward says "digital copy of the game" but doesn't explicitly state which platform.

Last edited:

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Thank you so much. That's really an honor! Yes, you will be able to switch between platforms! I noted that in the description down in the reward segment but you are not the first to ask, so I think I need to put it on top! :D

anteevy

Oct 27, 2017

Looks awesome, really! I don't think you'll have any problems reaching your goal. Viel Erfolg! :)

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Now I'm curious, what does a British flashlight look like?
They had less definition, basically just a leather bound tube. The US design is closer to what we recognise today, so I'm going to go with that. Historical inaccuracy #12.

Next up, just messing about a bit :)

Randoboy

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Hi everyone! It's been absolutely forever since I popped into this thread to see everyone's work/progress and post anything about Beacon! Personal life has been very busy to say the least.

With that being said, we finally have a Steam release date for the game after over 4 years of development and about 8 months on itch.io. It's going to be February 27th! So not long at all! I'm excited, exhausted, nervous and every emotion I can think of.

We put together a little Teaser Trailer for the game:

We're still hard at work on a lot of new features (daily runs/challenges), enemies, items, music etc. I wanted to give you a preview of one of the songs i've been working on!
https://soundcloud.com/arn89/level-04-wip/s-qoj1l

And here's two of the new enemies I randomly stumbled upon duking it out

I hope everyone's projects are going well!

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.

Mate your game looks great. Mech combat is totally something I'm into. I'll definitely consider backing it. However, if you consider supporting/implementing integer ratio scaling, that will make my decision easier! ;-)

Best of luck with your KS.

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Looks awesome, really! I don't think you'll have any problems reaching your goal. Viel Erfolg! :)
Looks great! Hope you get it funded!
Mate your game looks great. Mech combat is totally something I'm into. I'll definitely consider backing it. However, if you consider supporting/implementing integer ratio scaling, that will make my decision easier! ;-)

Best of luck with your KS.
Have a good beginning!!!
There is a possibility to support you as well.
Cheers!!!
Good luck! And great kickstarter page, that is one epic picture...

Thank you guys for you words and for backing! :)

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Working on my second combat vehicle for that pixelly flight game. Helicopter! It can fire 3 missiles, reverse it's thrust and move backward, and it has a large shock torpedo for disabling other aircraft.

https://gfycat.com/DistortedLinearChevrotain

I love this. I think you could be onto something really great here; there's not many SNES Mode 7-like games out there and there's bound to be quite a bit of nostalgia for that style.

Status
Not open for further replies.